General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Can You Refuel Your Car While The Engine Is Running?

Search this Thread

Old 15-06-2007, 05:24 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeh, I do that sometimes..or trawl for some info & takes 10mins to reply in which time there's loads of new replies with same reply
Old 15-06-2007, 05:29 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rs shawn
Yeh, I do that sometimes..or trawl for some info & takes 10mins to reply in which time there's loads of new replies with same reply
You mean you copy other people's replies and then use that excuse to try and sound like you know what you are on about
Old 15-06-2007, 07:34 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
actually i dont know why i ever trust em,,, from when i was a kid they done nothing but talk shite

the tooth fariy, the boogy man, santa clause, the kiddy catcher,,,,, ive never been as strong as popeye no mater how much spinach i ate

and they used to give me the BELT when i lied about breaking a plate

pmsl
Old 15-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Escos Jam
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont turn mine off as im scared it wont start again

Always have 2 sets of keys so i can leav it runnin and take off the fuel cap
Old 15-06-2007, 09:23 PM
silverfox999
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Stavros
i like to refill the car while spraying optimax out of another nozzle all over the forecourt, while using a flame thrower, and using my mobile.

i always turn the engine off though, its a small risk, but one im not willing to take.

hope this helps.

stav.
Haaa, very good!

I often leave my motor running when i use the 'Fast' lane. More risk of the starter motor causing a spark than me running the engine...
Old 15-06-2007, 11:02 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by nilrem
the problem originates from america, where the pumps dont need to be manned, you can lock them on... then people can sit back in there car... where they would make a call and gain static from the rubing of the plastic against their clothes/hair...
Same in Germany and most other european countries I've been to, mate.

I only leave the car running if I have to, e.g. when the battery was flat.
Old 15-06-2007, 11:38 PM
pugo
Advanced PassionFord User

TRUE

gasoline as a liquid does not burn, it is the vapours that it gives off or atomized fuel(gas form) that ignites and in this form is volatile
as you fill your fuel tank with liquid the tank has a vent on it which the gases/vapours/air in your fuel tank are expelled(one has to come out as the other goes in)...most fuel tank vents are underneath the vehicle....the vapours are heavier than air so will roll off from under ithe car
an engine running correctly will not ignite the fuel, however most of us drive shonky old fords with dodgy leads etc which could if running ignite the vapours
also you can get the vapours sucked into the air filter causing over speeding of the engine (including a running diesel if its parked running nearby) which usually ends in pistons and rods exiting engine stage left

although true...the odds of this happening are quite remote....but never the less a possibility
Old 16-06-2007, 07:24 AM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Originally Posted by SafeChav
You mean you copy other people's replies and then use that excuse to try and sound like you know what you are on about
Cheeky barsteward.
I never sound like I know what I'm on about !!
Old 16-06-2007, 09:43 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by pugo
TRUE

gasoline as a liquid does not burn, it is the vapours that it gives off or atomized fuel(gas form) that ignites and in this form is volatile
as you fill your fuel tank with liquid the tank has a vent on it which the gases/vapours/air in your fuel tank are expelled(one has to come out as the other goes in)...most fuel tank vents are underneath the vehicle....the vapours are heavier than air so will roll off from under ithe car
an engine running correctly will not ignite the fuel, however most of us drive shonky old fords with dodgy leads etc which could if running ignite the vapours
also you can get the vapours sucked into the air filter causing over speeding of the engine (including a running diesel if its parked running nearby) which usually ends in pistons and rods exiting engine stage left

although true...the odds of this happening are quite remote....but never the less a possibility
But doesn't this also mean, that actually you shouldn't be allowed to drive into a gas station while other people fill their cars up?

Fuel pumps also have a mechanism that sucks in the vapours from the tank. Mainly because benzol can cause cancer and it wouldn't be healthy to be exposed to that every time you fill your car up.
Old 16-06-2007, 10:19 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

Originally Posted by PeterRST
Originally Posted by pugo
TRUE

But doesn't this also mean, that actually you shouldn't be allowed to drive into a gas station while other people fill their cars up?

Fuel pumps also have a mechanism that sucks in the vapours from the tank. Mainly because benzol can cause cancer and it wouldn't be healthy to be exposed to that every time you fill your car up.
the odds of it happening are remote... but its just a safety precaution... imagine a petrol station exploding... it would take out a good half a km radius, and you would be finding pieces miles away...

they cant tell people to push their cars to the pupm... but to decrease the chance of it happening, they ask you to turn it off... thats all... just a safety precaution...
Old 16-06-2007, 10:37 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by SafeChav
Cheeky barsteward.
I never sound like I know what I'm on about !!
highlighted as you clearly cant read either
Old 16-06-2007, 10:40 AM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Fook off coont

Old 16-06-2007, 10:42 AM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!