General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Can You Refuel Your Car While The Engine Is Running?

Search this Thread

Old 14-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can You Refuel Your Car While The Engine Is Running?

Today as I put fuel into my car I left the engine running.. I don't normally but I just forgot really. My dad told I could of blew the whole petrol station up? True or faulse?
Old 14-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

false,,,,,, its no more a risk than driving in there the first place

using a mobile aint a good idea though,,,, nor is smoking ajoint as the attendents seem to go like nutty animals in the zoo,,,, they start smacking things on the window and make faces ,,,,,, makes you wonder where they actually find these staff
Old 14-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

oh and loud music CAN make you burst your ear drums,,, my parents have always said that to me

WHAT THEY DIDNT MENTION WAS IT FUCKING GROWS BACK

the doctor told me this and i feel like my parents have been lying to me all my life just cause they dont share the same interests as me

think ive discovered why i never went blind when i was young like my dad warned me about too,,,,,, i always thought my love of carrots was helping to conteract every time i had a tug

wonder what else they have been lying to me about
Old 14-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Mr Whippy
Oderint dum metuant

I always fill my van up with the engine running, as it never starts when it is hot, so cant turn it off
Old 14-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

actually i dont know why i ever trust em,,, from when i was a kid they done nothing but talk shite

the tooth fariy, the boogy man, santa clause, the kiddy catcher,,,,, ive never been as strong as popeye no mater how much spinach i ate

and they used to give me the BELT when i lied about breaking a plate
Old 14-06-2007, 11:16 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !

using a mobile aint a good idea though,,,, nor is smoking ajoint as the attendents seem to go like nutty animals in the zoo,,,, they start smacking things on the window and make faces ,,,,,, makes you wonder where they actually find these staff
Exactly, like the huge sparks that are flying off your nokia when on a call .....
Old 14-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

will ive come to the conclusion that the mobile phones interfere with there radio signals,,,, thats why they dont allow it and its just a conspiricy so they can listen to kiss 100 with no stupid huming
Old 14-06-2007, 11:20 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil

Exactly, like the huge sparks that are flying off your nokia when on a call .....
myth - busters

i saw that episode too
Old 14-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Andreas
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mobile used to be allowed over here so I got a bit suprised when I was filling my car up in the UK and said monkey started to smaxk on the window.
Old 14-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no u cant, read the signs every 10yards u also invalidate your insurance incase of theft, and IF you did blow the petrol station up you'd have to pay back a big fine
Old 14-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Tangodeltasierra3
no u cant, read the signs every 10yards u also invalidate your insurance incase of theft, and IF you did blow the petrol station up you'd have to pay back a big fine
I would be brown bread wouldn't I?
Old 14-06-2007, 11:31 PM
RS2000CUSTOM
Advanced PassionFord User

Default Re: Can You Refuel Your Car While The Engine Is Running?

Originally Posted by Benni

My dad told I could of blew the whole petrol station up ?
My dad told me that if I kept picking my nose my head would cave in
Old 14-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by RS2000CUSTOM

My dad told I could of blew the whole petrol station up ?
Old 15-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Done it before when I had a knackered alternator and didn't want to bump start it out the station
Old 15-06-2007, 03:03 AM
david
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Done it many many times with cold merc sprinters first thing in the morning, shite heaters !

never even had a frown, not as if they can hear it running.
Old 15-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Rob84
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

technically, you are increasing the risk of a fire by leaving the engine running because theres more chance the engine will suck in petrol vapours that are in the air. Its a lame reason to be fair but thats no doubt the reason you'll get if you asked them why
Old 15-06-2007, 08:53 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

I know somebody who runs a turbo timer and depending on whether he just popped to the station or just come back from a decent drive (normally he just pops to it) he leaves the car on the timer whilst filling up but this is only occasionally.
Old 15-06-2007, 08:54 AM
StuarTurbo
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by RS2000CUSTOM

Grandad always said i was itching my brain

i think its so you cant make a swift get away without paying
Old 15-06-2007, 09:30 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

im sure its illegal to refuel your can with the engine running!

i always use my phone when refueling,,, and so does my friend,, the garage owner
Old 15-06-2007, 11:03 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

not going to be a risk with a diesel is it?
Old 15-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

i like to refill the car while spraying optimax out of another nozzle all over the forecourt, while using a flame thrower, and using my mobile.

i always turn the engine off though, its a small risk, but one im not willing to take.

hope this helps.

stav.
Old 15-06-2007, 11:17 AM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Never done it on my runaround as you've gotta have the key out of the ignistion to undo the fuckin cap anyway!

Know there are a few which don't need a key....

Sure when i was at a Shell garage last week filling up the taxi some bloke was getting a right bollocking off the petrol station attendant for having his BMW running while filling up...

The bloke then started shouting and rabbiting on about having the air-con on for his mother who was in the car...

Toff cunt!

Old 15-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Dicko&Vacant
10K+ Poster!!

will ive come to the conclusion that the mobile phones interfere with there radio signals,,,, thats why they dont allow it and its just a conspiricy so they can listen to kiss 100 with no stupid huming
thats comedy
Old 15-06-2007, 12:26 PM
SafeChav
10K+ Poster!!

The starter motor on the car produces greater sparks and higher risks than anything like re-filling while the engine is running or using a mobile.

Not an issue in my eyes,

There was a program on several years ago where they filled a caravan with containers of petrol, put recoriding cameras inside and then put a mobile phone in it.

They rang the phone whilst observing the picture on the camera.............needless to say nothing happened!

I was in in Tescos petrol station a few weeks ago, by the fucking air/water thingy, on my phone with the window down, some bloke comes across starts saying u cant be on your phone, and i said fair do's ill do the window up, and he said no thats not allowed either!?!?!

The average chimp that takes your money in a petrol station knows nothing, monkey see, monkey do as the saying goes
Old 15-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SafeChav
I was in in Tescos petrol station a few weeks ago, by the fucking air/water thingy, on my phone with the window down, some bloke comes across starts saying u cant be on your phone, and i said fair do's ill do the window up, and he said no thats not allowed either!?!?!
Had exactly the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago but it was a woman from inside going nuts pointing and shouting

In theory I'm sure petrol vapour can be ignited by mobile phone type radiation, but can it ever happen in reality?
Old 15-06-2007, 01:15 PM
KW-rscos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavros
i like to refill the car while spraying optimax out of another nozzle all over the forecourt, while using a flame thrower, and using my mobile.

i always turn the engine off though, its a small risk, but one im not willing to take.

hope this helps.

stav.
Fookin quality reply, that had me in stitches
Old 15-06-2007, 01:52 PM
4x4

SO IS THERE ACTUALLY A REASON WHY YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO FILL THE CAR WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING????????????

no one seems to have an idea
Old 15-06-2007, 02:16 PM
saphlover
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by 4x4
SO IS THERE ACTUALLY A REASON WHY YOUR NOT SUPPOSED TO FILL THE CAR WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING????????????

no one seems to have an idea
its probably the reason Stuarturbo put - So you can make a quick getaway without paying
Old 15-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Stavros

hope this helps.

stav.
one day ill be rich like yourself, and i too can spray optimax all over the forecourt, one day i'll live the dream
Old 15-06-2007, 03:25 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

round my way, if you leave the engine running they don't turn the pump on
same as if you've got your mobile on, they just shut the pump down
Old 15-06-2007, 04:18 PM
ProjectBobcat

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SafeChav

There was a program on several years ago where they filled a caravan with containers of petrol, put recoriding cameras inside and then put a mobile phone in it.

They rang the phone whilst observing the picture on the camera.............needless to say nothing happened!
I remember this and it was actually 11 or 12 phones to increase the risks even further, and like you said, nothing happened. ive got a feeling it weas something like the gadget show on five or maybe fifth gear that did it.
Old 15-06-2007, 04:24 PM
rssteve

the real reason mobiles are banned are incase you drop the phone and the battery pops out (like happens regulary), and it could cause a spark. Nothing to do with the radio signal.
Old 15-06-2007, 04:27 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My dad told I could of blew the whole petrol station up? True or faulse?
Possibly, but not from leaving the engine running..altho something like this only normally happens in foreign countries. This is due to static exchange. Our pump handles have the "trigger hold open" device removed from them, so when you release the handle it switches off. Foreign countries in general (like US or Arab countries) have these still fitted.

This was investigated on mythbusters (just like the mobile phones myth, which isn't true btw) and this is how it went:

Users were getting out of their car and using the pump with handle held open (filling up). They then got in their car to get wallet/ purse, stepped out without earthing themselves on the car and then touching the pump handle. The static from them getting in and out of the car caused a spark which ignites the fuel vapours, boom.
Old 15-06-2007, 04:37 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

the problem originates from america, where the pumps dont need to be manned, you can lock them on... then people can sit back in there car... where they would make a call and gain static from the rubing of the plastic against their clothes/hair... then when they went to stop the fuel, a small arc would spark between the users hand and the bare metal or the handle, igniting the fumes escaping from your filler pipe... then they would normally pull the nozzle out in a panic and essentially have a flamethrower in there hand... sparting everything within 3 feet or so in flaming fuel...

so as a rule in general, no engines are allowed to run and you are not meant to use your phone... its not that it will be guaranteed, its that you cannot guarantee when it will happen and how people will react...

(if it does ever happen, you are meant to leave the nozzle in and smother the cap to remaove all the air... therefore stopping the fire! (fuel cannot burn without air)
Old 15-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Andreas
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
not going to be a risk with a diesel is it?
Dunno about risk but it wouldn't be a loss.
Old 15-06-2007, 04:38 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

Originally Posted by rs shawn
My dad told I could of blew the whole petrol station up? True or faulse?
Possibly, but not from leaving the engine running..altho something like this only normally happens in foreign countries. This is due to static exchange. Our pump handles have the "trigger hold open" device removed from them, so when you release the handle it switches off. Foreign countries in general (like US or Arab countries) have these still fitted.

This was investigated on mythbusters (just like the mobile phones myth, which isn't true btw) and this is how it went:

Users were getting out of their car and using the pump with handle held open (filling up). They then got in their car to get wallet/ purse, stepped out without earthing themselves on the car and then touching the pump handle. The static from them getting in and out of the car caused a spark which ignites the fuel vapours, boom.
damn beat me to it...
Old 15-06-2007, 04:48 PM
jaimesdna

i remember a mate of mine welding a fuel tank for me with fuel still in it. made a strange noise, we ran, then nothing really, so carried on welding.
Old 15-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

if is ood enough for F1 teams then its good enough for you!

Old 15-06-2007, 05:16 PM
rs shawn
S1 Database Editor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nilrem
damn beat me to it...

By 10 minutes too
Old 15-06-2007, 05:20 PM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

i had my tea while writing it... porbably why you should write replies up quickly...

Quick Reply: Can You Refuel Your Car While The Engine Is Running?