General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Buying a house near a power substation

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Buying a house near a power substation

We're currently looking at buying a house, IMHO its a particuarly nice property, nicely laid out and plenty of room for me to build a decent workshop on it etc, BUT its right next to a power substation, which is basically potentially putting me off.

I just wondered if anyone knows the health implications and impact it might have on the opinions of future buyers?

Gut feeling is to walk away, but I do REALLY like the actual house itself and its exactly right for the conversion we have in mind for it.

This is the property:

But its literally, 50 yards or so from the fence of a large substation.

None of the high voltage lines pass particuarly close to the property or anything like that.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When you say sub station do you mean the type that is like a big garage all bricked in etc, or the open type which the pylons run to
Old 07-06-2007, 10:57 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you will be fine with the substation Chip. OH power lines have put us off in the past but I'd be fine with the substation. I've worked in energy for the last 5 years and have never heard anything other than scaremongering and this relates to the OH lines.

You're likely to be bombarded with more electromagnetic radiation by standing in front of the microwave!

The house looks lovely and I wouldn't let the substation put me off it.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Chip

Paul, thanks for the advice.

Alps, its the open type that the OH lines go into, it must be 100 yards across I should think, its not just a little box at the side of the road.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that place looks awesome!

id live in that even if it was next to chenobyl
Old 07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chip-3Door

If it was right next to the house i would be bothered, if it was at the other end of a field i wouldnt be bothered tbh
Old 07-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Chip

lmao @ stavros, the thing that interests me most about it is that it has a fair amount of land, would be easy to get planning permission on, has an additional garage building already as well as the one you can see in the picture and had a couple of smaller outbuildings already (just used as a shed and summer house and greenhouse at the moment) that could potentially be converted for car storage etc, and the main double garage would make a pretty cool annexe potentially.

So its more a case of what it could be with a bit of work than just what it is no thats interesting, but I do agree that even now its a very pretty place, and the views in 3 directions are great, just not the fouth way, LOL
Old 07-06-2007, 11:04 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Chip-3Door

If it was right next to the house i would be bothered, if it was at the other end of a field i wouldnt be bothered tbh

The power stataion is basically next door mate.

The nearest transformer is less than 50 yards away from the dwelling, its VERY close.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:07 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

you will die of something one day - it may as well be after you've lived a good life in a good house that you've enjoyed and if it is harmful in some way then so be it. if something else gets you then the gamble will have paid off
Old 07-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

One of my mates had a nice place near a substation however the scaremongering and concerns regarding the health effects of being near a substation did effect the price and desirability, he had to drop the price substantially to sell it and make it a bargain bigger than the concern displayed.
Many people came to view the place but was put off by the substation, it was on the market for 3 years

Very nice house though chip, it personally would not bother me being near a power station but I would not buy near such a location if the object was resale after development because of the concerns people have regrding such things which ultimately can effect the value.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ye it would put me off and i'd imagine it would devalue the house. They crackle like fuck as well and if they do explode(which is very very unlikely) it would be like a big bomb going off next to your house
Old 07-06-2007, 11:09 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

You can get meters to measure the EMF. The Region Electricity Company (REC) might even have reading from the site itself. Just looking at some stuff on the web and it lists levels which are safe so you could try and hire a meter and check the levels yourself - you may even be able to get it done as part of the survey if the surveyor has access to the right equipment.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
lmao @ stavros, the thing that interests me most about it is that it has a fair amount of land, would be easy to get planning permission on, has an additional garage building already as well as the one you can see in the picture and had a couple of smaller outbuildings already (just used as a shed and summer house and greenhouse at the moment) that could potentially be converted for car storage etc, and the main double garage would make a pretty cool annexe potentially.

So its more a case of what it could be with a bit of work than just what it is no thats interesting, but I do agree that even now its a very pretty place, and the views in 3 directions are great, just not the fouth way, LOL
wish i had your cash to afford this place mate! lol
Old 07-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Chip

Not looking to develop it for resale particuarly, looking at it as somewhere to live long term, but ultimately ANY house is an investment, and a sizeable one at that, so I would be wary if I thought it would be a major problem to sell later on.

I believe the price that its up for already reflects the markets opinion of its location to a certain extent, so I guess from a losing money point of view its not that relevant as if we both buy it cheaper cause of it and sell it cheaper cause of it then I wont have lost anything from my half of the investment!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Paul Eggleton
You can get meters to measure the EMF. The Region Electricity Company (REC) might even have reading from the site itself. Just looking at some stuff on the web and it lists levels which are safe so you could try and hire a meter and check the levels yourself - you may even be able to get it done as part of the survey if the surveyor has access to the right equipment.

Fantastic advice mate, thanks very much

If it checks out ok then I would make a point of making sure that if we do come to sell it later on that the estate agent actually had that info to hand I think unlike the current sellers, so potentially buyers could have their mind put at rest straight away.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by SapphyMike

I will be borrowing most of my share of the money against another property I own mate, so I also wish I just had the cash lieing around to afford it too, but I dont!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Fantastic advice mate, thanks very much

If it checks out ok then I would make a point of making sure that if we do come to sell it later on that the estate agent actually had that info to hand I think unlike the current sellers, so potentially buyers could have their mind put at rest straight away.
No worries, shout if you get stuck as I have contacts in most of the major Energy Companies.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:22 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

never mind the surroundings mate that house looks wicked

can i rent the whole building on the right of the picture, always wanted a flat with a double garage below
Old 07-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by gingeRS
never mind the surroundings mate that house looks wicked

can i rent the whole building on the right of the picture, always wanted a flat with a double garage below

Lol, that building will be the first to get made over TBH mate, its perfect for turning into an annexe, which is one of the main reasons we are interested in the property.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Chip

No worries, shout if you get stuck as I have contacts in most of the major Energy Companies.

Thanks.

Ive update the pictures now and you can see on one of the gardens where the lines go over head, thats as close as they get though.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:25 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

LOL! Rather than the nice pics of the house, how about pics of the sub station!

House looks nice but to answer your question, the sub station pics might help
Old 07-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Chip

I dont actually have any pics of that, as ive not been to the property myself yet. I will get some at the weekend when I go to view it myself.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:30 AM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by SapphyMike

I will be borrowing most of my share of the money against another property I own mate, so I also wish I just had the cash lieing around to afford it too, but I dont!
ah right - i meant mainly to do with earning potential.

good luck with it mate!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Phil
Jeebus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNHdW3ZOEWA

Don't let that put you off
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Chip

This image shows the house and its location relative to the substation lower in the picture:
Old 07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Phil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNHdW3ZOEWA

Don't let that put you off
That wouldnt be a problem at all if it did happen TBH mate, the house isnt close enough for that to be a problem.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:39 AM
S2martin
Ex Full Price gold member

Looks a fantastic property Chip

Where is it mate?

Couldn't you plum a line from the station to your workshop
Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by S2martin

Where is it mate?

Its near J23 of the M5 mate.

Our current workshop actually is so big that it has a substation INSIDE it, lol

Renton was moaning that he could feel the hairs on his neck standing up when we showed him around it, lol
Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

How long has the house been on the market for already?

What sort of money? That'd be about 2 million round here!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:45 AM
Chip

Mate, its well under half a million round here, I reckon they will take 400K on the nose for it.
Its only been on the market a couple of weeks so far.

Houses here are so cheap they come free with a box of conrflakes, one of the properties we own at the moment is a really nice 3 bed detached house, good size, on a really nice new build estate, by a good school, and its worth LESS than 200k

When I drive up from somerset where its actually nice to be, to london which is a fucking shithole for work every week I swear the house prices increase in the wrong direction, fuck knows why anyone pays so much to live in such a shitty place, just purely down to where the jobs are I guess!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Deleted by Request
Former Sponsor

..as Pon says thats a 2 mil property in a good area..TBH if you dont plan on breeding i dont see a problem.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:47 AM
S2martin

When I drive up from somerset where its actually nice to be, to london which is a fucking shithole for work every week I swear the house prices increase in the wrong direction, fuck knows why anyone pays so much to live in such a shitty place, just purely down to where the jobs are I guess!
Exactly the reason i'm moving to Devon

I've taken a 20k a year pay cut to do it too
Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 AM
S2martin

Where is it mate?

Its near J23 of the M5 mate.

Our current workshop actually is so big that it has a substation INSIDE it, lol

Renton was moaning that he could feel the hairs on his neck standing up when we showed him around it, lol
that big is it??

Have to have a butchers at some point
Old 07-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Chip

S2 martin.

This is our current workshop mate:

(the big white building)

You can easily fit 2000 cars in there, and a standard M5 can get from 0-62-0mph inside of it without a problem

Its an old disused piston factory, used to employ about 1200 people back in the day!

Sadly though, its only on a short term lease.

All I want to build really is something suitable for 3-4 cars to work on, and with parking for another half a dozen, so this new house would be ideal for that.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

The substation at chips current place is SCARY

Dangerous too.

If you hit a switch, you WILL die, simple as.

Im shocked nobody has tried it yet
Old 07-06-2007, 11:53 AM
S2martin

S2 martin.

This is our current workshop mate:

(the big white building)

You can easily fit 2000 cars in there, and a standard M5 can get from 0-62-0mph inside of it without a problem

Its an old disused piston factory, used to employ about 1200 people back in the day!

Sadly though, its only on a short term lease.

All I want to build really is something suitable for 3-4 cars to work on, and with parking for another half a dozen, so this new house would be ideal for that.
Fucking hell Chip why the hell have you got a workshop the size of Dagenham Ford????

Thats a shame it's short term mate is the rent a killer or something?

Yeah be good to have your own workshop at home so to speak as you don't have to worry about the land owner selling it from under your feet lol
Old 07-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Stavros

Dangerous too.

Yeah there are plenty of levers in the current place that if you switch them on they will live a 10,000 volt 600A cable right next to you thats been chopped off and has the live end sticking out (2 inch in diameter)

That substation is definately not a good place for conducting (no pun intended) drinking games
Old 07-06-2007, 11:55 AM
S2martin

Originally Posted by Stavros

Dangerous too.

Yeah there are plenty of levers in the current place that if you switch them on they will live a 10,000 volt 600A cable right next to you thats been chopped off and has the live end sticking out (2 inch in diameter)

That substation is definately not a good place for conducting (no pun intended) drinking games

Old 07-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Chip

Fucking hell Chip why the hell have you got a workshop the size of Dagenham Ford????

Thats a shame it's short term mate is the rent a killer or something?

Yeah be good to have your own workshop at home so to speak as you don't have to worry about the land owner selling it from under your feet lol

Mate, its 50 quid a week for the house next to it (which used to be the old human resources block and is now converted for living in)

We have it cause basically we act as security to keep all the drug addict squatters out, and in exchange we get to use it, the rent is literally just enough to cover the eletric and water we use, and for it to be a formal agreement on paper making it our residential address which in terms means its impossible for someone else to claim squatters rights there.
Thats ALL the owners really care about, keeping out squatters as then they can knock it down!

The reason its short term is it will be getting knocked down to build houses, as its now owned by barratt, so we are just there till that happens.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Chip

S2martin, this is the easiest way to see the size of it:

http://nitrous-advice.com/chip/VIDEO_002.mp4
http://nitrous-advice.com/chip/VIDEO_004.mp4
http://nitrous-advice.com/chip/VIDEO_003.mp4

Quick Reply: Buying a house near a power substation