General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Buying a house near a power substation

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 PM
smitsturbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rauri
i live within spitting distance of 2,have done for oooo 32 years give or take and im fine

honest
you think your fine
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

There have been public concerns for at least 20 years over substations being very close to where you sleep or work in one place for extended periods.
There have been studies but nothing too conclusive, there are too many other variables in why people die or get sick with any particular illness.

The concern nowadays seems to be more about mobile phone masts, so if there is a moblie phone mast farm nearby, I would give the place a miss.

I've warked wath electipity for 40 years and had n

Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Re: Buying a house near a power substation

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
We're currently looking at buying a house, IMHO its a particuarly nice property, nicely laid out and plenty of room for me to build a decent workshop on it etc, BUT its right next to a power substation, which is basically potentially putting me off.

I just wondered if anyone knows the health implications and impact it might have on the opinions of future buyers?

Gut feeling is to walk away, but I do REALLY like the actual house itself and its exactly right for the conversion we have in mind for it.

This is the property:

But its literally, 50 yards or so from the fence of a large substation.

None of the high voltage lines pass particuarly close to the property or anything like that.
Fuck me that's a nice ol' drum................
Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

they're now also saying that wireless networks in the homeare giving out dangerous levels of radiation
Old 07-06-2007, 09:03 PM
rauri
up in smoke........

Originally Posted by smitsturbo
Originally Posted by rauri
i live within spitting distance of 2,have done for oooo 32 years give or take and im fine

honest
you think your fine
dude you live in the bay,its like fuckin deliverance ffs
Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

too much reading to read it all but, the biggest problem you are going to have chip is affording to run the place of that size
heating, repairs, stuff to fill the rooms etc
fuck me, for 3400k i could afford that but i couldn't afford a Ł20k pay cut as that would only leave me with Ł4k pa, nearly as low as dans pay

ok, the substation thing is not a big deal, if there are trees and shit in the way they'll just keep the noise down and provide a bit of protection if it blows up in the evening or something

to be on the safe side, i would invest in putting a bit of a wooden fence along that part of the garden so that it looks like it's part of the substation to take attention away from it
Old 07-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

So you fook about with cars making them fast and obvioulsy drive them fast which dangers your life.....then wonder wether or not to live near a power substation?????
Old 08-06-2007, 07:31 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
So you fook about with cars making them fast and obvioulsy drive them fast which dangers your life.....then wonder wether or not to live near a power substation?????
but that is the type of thing that people feel that they are in control of, whereas radiation is invisible
Old 08-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Renton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chip-3Door
Renton was moaning that he could feel the hairs on his neck standing up when we showed him around it, lol
LOL! I felt like I was standing in a microwave on full power!

Awesome looking place. Personally, I wouldn't be bothered about the sub station. Others would be though, so it could be tricky to sell...
Old 08-06-2007, 09:13 AM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

just my 2p worth, my old street where i grew up is very close to ferrybridge c power station and the 400kV lines went very close to the estate we lived in. You get some crackle from the lines in moist conditions and they look a state but house prices in that area are still in line with other properties in our town. We lived there for 12 years from when the houses were first built. It may have been coincidence but on our street alone 6 women had to have hysterectomy operations. All fingers pointed to the overhead lines but nothing was ever looked into. My old lady is knackered health wise, had alsorts cut out of her, and a lot of other women are in the same boat from that street. As said above, we need electricity too much for anyone to ever look into it as a health hazard.

That house looks very nice and been honest the substation doesnt look big enough to cause concern, even if if blew up youd only hear it I should imagine and not suffer any damage.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:07 AM
silverfox999
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Hi Chip

House looks absolutley mint!!

My only thought (as you have already thought of) would be the noise on the lines.

I have heard, bit never found any conclusive reports, on health scares and issues. That said, anything that can power a florescent tube without it being plugged in has to be kicking off some bad ass power.

So long as it a fair way away the levels should be fine.

However, as a conclusive way of avoiding any problems with electromagnetic radiation build-up, i have come up with a cunning plan for you.

This should certainly do the trick i think.

*serious mode on* seriously, go and hire a radiation reader, take the readings, cross reference with published from the Health Office an asses for yourself. it would be a serious shame to lose out on a cracking property *serious mode off*
Old 08-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like my office!!

In seriousness though, every cell in your body communicates electrically, so it may well have an effect (the substation), but more than likely no more than damage done being sat in front of a monitor all day. Not saying even thats good. Ever seen readings off a microwave before? Next time I use one, I'm going into the next room instead of standing there watching it.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:20 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

loving that property mate,, i say,,, BUY BUY BUY

i dont think you'll need planning permission for a workshop aswell, because you are not effecting anyone,, there was a law passed in 96 to help people like you
Old 08-06-2007, 12:59 PM
smartrs
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by Phil
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNHdW3ZOEWA

Don't let that put you off
that was filmed in the usa and there distrubition network is alot diffrent to ours , never seen one in this country go up like that there is more safe gaurds in place to stop that from happening, that electric was arcing for ages somthing in the country would have disconnected its self from the supply ages before that happened.
but obversly if you do buy the the house and that does happen don't quote me on the above
Old 08-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Looks nice id get it, get some big conifers in and yer sorted
Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I went and had a look round the outside of it today, and have an appointment tomorrow to see inside, there is NO noise from the substation, and we actually drove into the substation property and it was still silent, although it looks huge on the map, it is mainly just disused land in there now.

So fingers crossed we'll be putting in an offer if the inside is as nice as it looks in the pictures, but obviously thats only half the battle as we have on of our other houses we need to sell first, and we need to agree a price that the buyer is happy with and so am I etc.

But I certainly dont have ANY concerns about the power now, there are no lines going over the property at all, the only line that does is a telegraph wire which is obviously totally irrelevant.

Thanks for all the advice though folks, im sure its been itneresting reading for anyone else thinking of buying a property close to a substation or similar
Old 08-06-2007, 05:41 PM
xr-stu
PassionFord Post Whore!!

we popped round for a quick look today, the substation is a good 100metres minimum from the actual property, nowhere near enough to be an eyesore as theres rows and rows of scrubs, dunno about what emf itll chuck out or whatever though but its a bloody nice house, and id have to seriously weigh up if i was prepared to risk the possible risk to health...

the place is stunning though!!! sooo secluded even though itd right on a main road, 8-10foot scrub hedgerows all the way round, cant even see the house from the road, so much space too!!

dream home material, cant believe how relativly cheap is it! to be honest even if you had 5 million to spend theres no real reason other than to be extravigant (sp?!) to buy anything else! its awesome!

(proper jealous, cunt! )
Old 08-06-2007, 07:40 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

chip the house looks stunning..good luck with the transaction
Old 11-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Chip

Estate agent says a few people have put in offers, and its only been on the market since monday, so not looking great for my odds of getting it, but have put in an offer anyway.

Worries over the substation and lines were totally unfounded, both are much further than they look in the pictures.

Its properly stunning, will just have to wait and see what happens now!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:18 AM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

When will you find out mate? Looks the bollocks!
Old 11-06-2007, 01:20 AM
Chip

Fuck knows mate, I hate buying houses, half the time when you think its going through some cunt in the chain changes their mind and it all falls down, so I tend to pretty much ignore everything till you sign the contract.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:49 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if you get it will you be changing it's name to "Southfork"

it looks good enough to stage some proper ganster movies in it too