General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Choosing your tuner.

Search this Thread

Old 20-09-2004, 11:50 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Choosing your tuner.

If you wanted a mental engine made for your RS, how would you choose your tuner?

How would you know the spec youve paid for is REALLY what you got?

Personally id want (BEFORE id paid owt) to see either RR/Dyno figs or ideally performance figs to show its not all talk and claims.

I know people talk about "proof" like its a big joke these days, but you gotta be a over trusting fool IMO to trust someone to give them thousands of your pounds just becuase they tell you the car will be 300bhp/700bhp/whatever, and do whatever performance times, and last so long with full reliability, with no proof apart from the tuners word for it.
Being taken for a drive in a claimed power car proves nothing either as "ass dynos" show nothing, unless youve experienced that power before, you cant even estimate the power, if its faster than youve ever experienced than youl belive it usually, even if its miles off.
And RR numbers that arnt the power you want, but the tuner says if the boost/revs/weather was different youd have that power, howd you know thats true?
Madness IMO.

RRs, esp flywheel figures are very random IMO, engine dyno is ok, obv you wont get that in car (esp when you put on a 3" zorst on a 500+bhp car), but its close enough.
Performance figures is ideal tho, you know the saying "The Black Dyno never lies..."

Its always kind of a leap of faith with giving money to a tuner, but some leaps are small, but some are fookin grand canyon, and thats just crazy.

I think thats why someone DOES prove something they turn into arrogant childish goons which isnt good either, but at least you got a REAL idea of where your moneys going.

It didnt used to be so bad with cossie tuning as everyone did pretty much the same old shit, but now the blinkers are off and people are thinking for themselfs the power is rising and you cant just look at tons of proven cars to estimate your performance, and without anything to compare to youd be very reluctant to put your money into it purely from claims.

(I can sooo see this becoming an argument but DONT, i would wanted to express my opinions, as i trust nobody, so certainly wouldnt want to spend cash just cause someone TELLS me somthing, its no better than buying Magic Beans is it?)
Old 20-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didt read it all sorry steve

But only reason why i choose MAD was its was highly recommend, Know a few peeps who have been and have had good results and seems to produce the goods whats said

Hence why im having my motor built now by Mark
Old 20-09-2004, 11:54 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Well fucking read it then

And IMO dont name tuners on this thread as thats what will start arguments!!!
Old 20-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Kevin Sharp
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i chose my tuner cos he said this...

With the sort of combo you are having now, I'd say you'll be knocking on the door of 9's
Old 20-09-2004, 11:56 AM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

i spoke to a few peeps b4 i got my one sorted, mark made the time and took the effort. ontop of what rhys said
Old 20-09-2004, 11:56 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

though i think its a bit obvious who my tuner is with my sig?

Hopefully peeps wont start turning it into a slagging match.
Old 20-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

i'd want to TRUST the person doing the work, i want to know i'll be looked after and not be ripped of...

but then im not after a big power build or anything like that, so i can use most places and not have to pick between 5 or 6 "elite" ones
Old 20-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

rhys, get in the que though mate, hes a fooking busy guy ( but the speaks about the work though )
Old 20-09-2004, 12:03 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i only use galbodgit tuning as hes cheap and can up-peal the mods to upgrade to the silver type when the black is not sticky enough
Old 20-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Kev- LOL, NO, I chose my tuner as they have consistantly PROVEN performance times
Old 20-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Renton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I choose mine on drinking ability and workshop clenliness

Oh, and reputation
Old 20-09-2004, 12:10 PM
SimonT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If I had the money I'd take my car to Julian Godfrey.

Simply cause he has a proven track record.
Old 20-09-2004, 12:17 PM
kay2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

A certain tuner i went too, who was supposed to be very good, and recently had his blue saph in Fast ford, quoted me 3000pound to build me a 250 bhp engine, when i asked how he was going to achieve this, he told me with a standard engine with lower compression pistons and 25psi of boost up its arse(direct quote),which we all know a standard head wont flow, i asked him to put everything in writing so we both know where we stood, he wouldnt do it. When i asked him about reliabilty he said, well its only your weekend car he then went on to leave a clutch bolt in my head which smashed my injectors and bent my valves in less than 300 miles on a 2700 pound engine
Old 20-09-2004, 12:20 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Can i ask why you actually let him build the bloody engine then ????

Mike
Old 20-09-2004, 12:21 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mmmmmmmmm but did he sort it out or blame it on ya driving, all tunners can have a off day, its if they admit there mistakes that id rate a tuner on
Old 20-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

i choose the tuner for the item i'm buying

so basically i've got something from ALL the tuners
Old 20-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Went to Power Engineering before Mark.
Great workshops , viewing gallery , surgical cleanliness , mags to read , Great Logo to put on car.
Then i visited the MAD Premises, crap workshop, cant see bugger all, mess everywhere, Make your own tea.
5 minutes talking to Mark & I knew who i would entrust my car with. No Glossy Brocures but no Bullshit either. As an engineer myself, he is the best ive come across by a margin & he has proved it . Overall , RWD & FWD Topspeed cars come from this tuner.
Rod
ps. Also have great respect for Reyland/Martin they have done it & have half a dozen tee-shirts.
Old 20-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Jon ERST S2
PassionFord Post Troll

I'd personally use Karl if I was going to build another RST. They guy talks sense, knows how things works and WHY they work. Not just bolt on tuning. I'd also be confident in his workmanship and honesty. the guy makes his own heads and doesn't let anyone else do any of the work.

IMO If you don't trust the person your handing the money over, don't hand the money over. If I said Karl I want a 400bhp cvh if he said he could do it, I'd trust that he would deliver.

The only other person I'd go to would be Stu.

Though the day I build another RST is the day hell freezes over (or I win the lottery)
Old 20-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In choosing your chosen tuner you need to look at your budget. If you only have a limited amount of money to spend then you need to chose wisely and someone who can really advise you the best mods for the money available.

When I read peoples sigs who state Mark Shead has the fastest fwd and Rwd it makes me laugh. Yes it's a great achievement to have the two fastest top speed cars, but it doesnt help your average man in the street.

When I produce an engine or map a car for someone I take the time to really find out what they want. Since I produce everything myself for my engines I can tailor every product to their needs and budget.

I wish I did have people hand me a blank cheque, but reality is another matter. I lot of my time is spent producing heads and cams for many other people so a lot of engines will use my products but have no direct association with me.

I believe its very hard to make a decision, as ultimately it comes down to value for money, unless you have an unlimited budget.

A good example is I can produce a 300bhp steel cvh engine for under Ł4500 for the complete engine.

Whilst it won't set any records on fire, it is a good unit that works well and for the money offers good value.
Old 20-09-2004, 12:48 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I can see this thread going south,

I think certain siggys are not put there to help the average joe in the street they are there for there amusment and tribute to there tuner, much like some of the comments that your regualrs make karl

Mike
Old 20-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

Well jock,

human nature is a funny thing and you can't stop people bitching. One thing I can say is the internet should always be taken with a pinch of salt. It's a bit of fun and nothing more, and has no real reflection on reality!

The reality is, that 95% of people want a good engine that's reliable, and that does'nt cost the earth. Nothing has changed in this respect, the internet has just given people more insight into what others do, and this ultimately leads to arguments and jealousy as not everyone can afford things as good as the next man!
Old 20-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by Karl
Well jock,

human nature is a funny thing and you can't stop people bitching. One thing I can say is the internet should always be taken with a pinch of salt. It's a bit of fun and nothing more, and has no real reflection on reality!

The reality is, that 95% of people want a good engine that's reliable, and that does'nt cost the earth. Nothing has changed in this respect, the internet has just given people more insight into what others do, and this ultimately leads to arguments and jealousy as not everyone can afford things as good as the next man!
very true
Old 20-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

But Karl, while what yopu say is very true and very good, id be very cautious about spending any money with a tuner unless he could show me the 300bhp RST engine really was 300bhp, and it seems most these claimed 300bhp cars have no figures to show that it actually is (or am i missing somthing?).

I do think im less trusting of tuners than most tho, but then again ive been stung a lot less by tuners than most so its probably a good thing!
Old 20-09-2004, 12:56 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

karl

budget imo has very littlee to do with it, i had a quote from a famous tuning firm in leicestershire, and for what they quoted me for a 420 engine, ive nearly built sumthing twice as powerful.

like you said if mark/martin have those acheivements then fair play, surely any bloke in the street who wants to spend money will look at those and make there own decision.

i learnt my lesson the hard way with my old car, several conversions laters and thoushands in the bin, i got sumthing that worked, i wasnt gonna risk that withthe esc cos.

get it right and pay once
Old 20-09-2004, 12:58 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That is all very true karl,

I might be wrong and in no way trying to start an argument but i do not recall ever seeing a post from Mark Shead mentioning another tuner, this is probably a safe ground to be on as it shows securitie on his part to not feel the need,

now i am not saying that you are not secure in your onw abilities as i believe you are, and i myself have a few friends that use you and rate you very highly, but as a tuner i personally beleive that it is in your and and other tuners interest to stay out of the he did he said stuff how ever right you might or might not be,

Your results speak for them selves karl, and i am sure had Rod Tarry come to you with the brief he went to Mark Shead witht then your regular custormers would have very similar signitures.

Mike
Old 20-09-2004, 12:59 PM
JAP CRAP
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Harvey Gibbs.

Would have been A1 rallysport but I wasnt happy with the customer service I got from them even though I know they are brilliant at what they do. Mike rainbird steered me towards SCS buy giving me confidence in their work and when I spoke to them they seemed a lot more organised, which reassured me enough to get the work done there.

They are more expensive though

I did try and obtain quotes from Reyland. Martin was busy and I didnt have the patients to wait, lol, but would of been more than happy to use him

Would also be more than happy to use Mark Shead or Stu (if I could afford his take away whilst mapping bill ) .

Considered Karl Norris but wouldnt use him because I hate his attitude to be honest IMO
Old 20-09-2004, 01:00 PM
PF Ben

trust, trust and more trust... take your time to listen to what the tuner says, look and research his previous work with your own eyes if poss and get everything in writing just in case if poss anyway.
In my case, ever since i met steve scott i had complete faith in his ability and his honesty. okay so he might shoot me now and again with a gas powered bb pistol or a compressed gas powered tennis ball gun but that's a small price to pay IMO... i trust him 100%.
Ben
Old 20-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ok its fairly obvious who I use and I really dont wanna start a war, Steve's started a good thread.

When I first joined the Ford/RS scene I had just got a RS16i I had no idea who could work on it or anything about them.
Opened the yellow pages and went to a company in Wolves. They were very helpfull but it was so obvious they weren't a tuner and just a mechanic into RS/XR cars. Having said that what he did was fine and I was happy.

In Jan last year after an especially lucrative Christmas I knocked on Karls door.. Ok he's a mate too but this time I wanted work doing.

I wanted my 16i to go fast, I wanted to have a track car...
Karl explained my options, what I would get and how fast it would go. Then explained my 16i was the biggest pile of turd he'd seen and that really it wanted scrapping. OH!

Go and by an RST and I'll chip it etc and it will be a better car and faster, But mind.. Make sure you buy a good one... Under Karls guidence I did this and have to say I was very pleased.

It aint about making loads of money with Karl (not suggesting others do) as I know he doesn't have loads- Its about giving the person what they want but being sensible about it and also offering other advice and suggestions to boot.

Ultimatly if u wanna run 40psi through your Standard T3 and you insist, I am sure he would do it. lol
J
Old 20-09-2004, 01:02 PM
DanS
PassionFord Post Troll

I think the reputation of the tuner also plays a large part in where people decide to take there cars to be worked on.

I heard so many good things about SCC before taking my car there for the first time. And now, even for the smallest of jobs I wouldn't trust my car with anyone else. (And proven right a few weeks ago )

same goes for Karl, nothing but posative comments from people who I knew had vistited him in the past. Added to the fact that his prices are very good compared to what you would pay anywhere else you cant go wrong. Even if he is a bugger to get hold off

Karl - you have mail
Old 20-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by PF Ben
. okay so he might shoot me now and again with a gas powered bb pistol or a compressed gas powered tennis ball gun but that's a small price to pay IMO... i trust him 100%.
Ben
Its not a gun, its a Bazoka... and it fooking hurts!!!!!

Don't forget the dogs. If your tuner is not setting his dogs on you for a laff then you really aren't getting a good service
Old 20-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Ian M500COS

Steve what have you started?!?!

I am afraid I must refrain from comment on this thread!! Except for the fact that I have lost faith in the word trust!
Old 20-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Dont want to use names, but i cant do examples otherwise

Id happily use Karl (ignoring his attitude towards me, lol) for anything upto a RS500 type engine for a cossie providing the price was right.

Same with his mapping, nobodys got a problem, seems spot bollock on.

But id be very sus with an engine like his own, as for all the proof that anyone has, it could be nowhere near as good as claimed, and thats a LOT of money to go on trust of someones word. Not saying it ISNT as good as he says, in all likelyness it IS, but who knows? You wouldnt!

But i think lil Rodneys Saff proves that money is pretty safe in MADs hands for that conversion.

I dont really think any company have proved that their big power RST conversions are deffo like the claims yet have they barring Sunnys FRST?
Some good results, but not nececarily 330+ or whatever barring Sunny.

Other companies apart from MAD get the business no problem tho so obviously people are far happier taking peoples word for as a good reason to take 1000s of pounds of them than i am!

(Got to realise i only talking about engine spec that ARNT yet common, with common specs its far easier to see who to trust)
Old 20-09-2004, 01:11 PM
Karl
Norris Motorsport

LOL

This is almost becoming, lets interview Karl time.

Jock, Mark and Rod both stated they considered Mark to be superior to myself last night in a post that is now locked. I have no problem with that as everyone has their own opinions.

Steve,

I'm affraid you're being a bit anal mate. When you buy a car from the showroom new do you question the car you're buying for proof of its power? No you don't. what you actually do is road test the car.

When people want a specific conversion from me, what I do is arrange a car with one of these conversion done allready, for them to try. Based on this they can see if its what they want. It doesnt really matter if the car is 327.476bhp, what matters is that the owner is happy with the product they recieve. (You'll actually find I don't like to quote bhp figures as I find that a bit misleading as it depends how you test the engine!!)

Ranj, you may have wasted money in the past, but I think you'll be hard pushed to find people who are disapointed with my products. Whilst I do my best, you can't please everyone 100% of the time, but as long as you produce a good product that works well, which I consider myself to do, then I'm more than happy.

There are numerous cars out there at the moment such as Porkies, Sean's, Broms and numerous other's I've been asked not to mention, who all use myself for various products. I don't chose to advertise this fact or claim any credit for this work, as for me it's not about bragging, it's about enjoying the engineering that goes into each and every engine I'm involved in. At the end of the day I'm a chartered engineer, not someone who's after making a fast buck by selling you some shiny parts. If you ask anyone who has work done by me, you'll find out that I am extremly technically minded, and go into far greater deapths in designing engine components that perhaps any other tuner I know of! And thats a FACT!
Old 20-09-2004, 01:15 PM
kay2
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by jock
Can i ask why you actually let him build the bloody engine then ????

Mike
I didnt i purchased one from euro engines, and had it delivered to him, which he was none best pleased about, he then charged me a grand nearly to put it in........ Put it this way he asked me for Ł300 for parts like sensors switchs etc, which i thought a little excesive so i asked him to write a list i then purchased all the parts required for about 160quid all genuine ford except the oil feed which i had made up.. Was thinkin about takin him to small claims court, dunno if i can be arsed with the hastle
Old 20-09-2004, 01:15 PM
RANJ
BANNED
BANNED

karl

no one is interviewing you, a tad paranoid dude
Old 20-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Off topic- You in mate?
Old 20-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Karl
When you buy a car from the showroom new do you question the car you're buying for proof of its power? No you don't. what you actually do is road test the car.
Not care about power proof, that dont matter much, but performance proof does, black dyno n all that ive already said.
First id read a lot about it when it was TESTED by various mags etc, not just blindly go look to buy it, feeling when driving can be decieving, and the odds of getting to race other cars you considering buying while on a test drive is pretty fookin slim!

No doubt you are very technical, very clever, damn good tuner, that all seems obvious even from my knowlege of you.
Same with many other tuners too.
But that doesnt mean id take ANYONES word as gospel, with no proof, on an engine spec that cant even be compared to any others easily.

Risky was of spending money to me!
Old 20-09-2004, 01:18 PM
PF Ben

LOL Porkie! Yeah, I've managed to avoid the tennis ball so far, but he got me twice in the back with that pistol and it dropped me to my f@@@in knees! If he weren't such a lump I'd 'Scrappy Do' him!
Ain't had a problem with the dogs, thankfully! Little Simon's always been around to 'draw their fire' instead!
Ben
Old 20-09-2004, 01:21 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

[quote="Karl"]LOL

This is almost becoming, lets interview Karl time.

Jock, Mark and Rod both stated they considered Mark to be superior to myself last night in a post that is now locked. I have no problem with that as everyone has their own opinions.

Well my apologuies karl i did not see that so my comment was possibly blind, I am disapointed that they said that, because that displays a huge amount of arrogance,

but to pick up on what Steve Said i understand his comments towards your engine as you have not proved it ina public manner, such as for all to see, now i know you say that you do not offer this conversion but then say you would love somebody to come to you with a blank cheque book, well if i came to you with that cheque book would you build me a similar engine to yours ????? What do you have to hide from your conversion, Mark and Rod have gone out with theres and put graphs up for all to see, you say yours makes more power with out the NO2 quote un-quote. As an engineer that is fair to be considered Pioneering i would think that it is in your intrests to let it be know what you can do.

Mike

Quick Reply: Choosing your tuner.