General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

quitting smoking any tips ???

Search this Thread

Old 15-05-2007 | 02:23 PM
R5COS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Default quitting smoking any tips ???

hi all i made the choice of quitting the fags a while back now, when the last of my duty frees smokes where gone so 2day see me opening the last 200 pack so in a week id say they be gone, i started smoking when i was 13 and in the last few years i went up from 20 a day to 35 or so a day and health and old age say i should quit before i hit the age of 30. has anyone here managed to stay away from them when they quit any tips pointers would be great from your experience...
Old 15-05-2007 | 02:24 PM
ricky_3dr
Advanced PassionFord User

Don't buy any fags
Old 15-05-2007 | 02:29 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

If something is on fire, dont stick it in your mouth.

This is good advice which extends FAR beyond just smoking, it applies to caravans and things as well.
Old 15-05-2007 | 02:36 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Why wait until you finish the duty free packs? IMO that shows your not full commited Just sell those fags to mate get a few quid back which is bonus, then just dont smoke

HArd for me to say as i dont smoke. But what i have heared the best way is to just suddenly stop

Think of the money you will save! That would be the BIGGEST motivator for me... Oh and the health issue.
Old 15-05-2007 | 02:41 PM
Rippers
Monte Geek

If you truly want to quit its starts from now.. not at the end of the pack, not at the end of day/week/month etc bollocks

When I quit I binned the fags I had, chucked the lighter, ash tray the lot and then eat loads and became a right fat bastard
Old 15-05-2007 | 02:41 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

go cold turkey!!!

then put the money you save towards somethinggood...like the car maybe??
Old 15-05-2007 | 02:47 PM
pugo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te08kjzR-tc

HTH

and good luck dude, it will be worth it in the end

pugo

PS if you cant afford the course, buy the book
Old 15-05-2007 | 02:56 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

its all in the mind mate

ive quite

i bought the patches which did help tbh

as you know you have a patch on so u know not to smoke in a way

its all down to will power and if you really do want to quit!

as said dont finish your 200 lol, sell them on or bin them

chuck everything away, ashtrays, lighters etc

also find a little hobby as this will keep your mind off the fags
Old 15-05-2007 | 03:01 PM
seand
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

LOOK AT SOMEONE THAT IS AFTER HAVING A HEART BYPASS COS HIS INSIDES WERE FULL OF TAR AND SHIT AS A RESULT OF SMOKING. LUNGS NOT BEING ABLE TO WORK PROPERLY ETC.

WHEN YOU SEE SCARS LIKE THESE YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO STOP EASILY!!
Old 15-05-2007 | 03:14 PM
Lo@der
Passionford Thread Killer

It will be a hole load easyer when the pubs laws come in.
Old 15-05-2007 | 03:16 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Problem for me was and is weight, i gave up smoking but put on about 1.5 stones, i need to lose it now i finally banished the habit for ever, starting to go down gym, i need to lose about 2 stone really as im a bit of a fat fuck, weigh about 15stone 5lb at moment need to get down to around the 13 mark
Old 15-05-2007 | 03:18 PM
Mr Orange

Lick an ash tray!!

i dont smoke but ive heard this works really well.

sell the 200 to someone down the pub and get some cash for sweets,chewing gum or whatever you will need to help you quit them
Old 15-05-2007 | 03:18 PM
Lo@der
Passionford Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Jasesapphy
Problem for me was and is weight, i gave up smoking but put on about 1.5 stones, i need to lose it now i finally banished the habit for ever, starting to go down gym, i need to lose about 2 stone really as im a bit of a fat fuck, weigh about 15stone 5lb at moment need to get down to around the 13 mark
Piss off you fag, your a fookin adonis.
Old 15-05-2007 | 03:19 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

I've packed up for over 6 weeks now cold turkey no patchs anything Getting stronger by the day..
There are times u feel like one but just take your mind off it

It's all in your head, you have got to WANT to stop smoking, and have a reason!

Mine was the missus as she hated me smoking so i'm sticking by that decision..

I found chewing gum like Wrigleys helps, i was told the hardest time was when you've had a few drinks. Personnally i've found it rather easy

Doesn't help when 90% of your mates smoke aswell always offering n stuff and everytime u give the shame answer 'I've packed up!'

I started smoking when i was 15 and smoked 20 a day for 12 years

With the smoknig ban coming in 6 weeks time you've gotta give it your best!

P.S Saying that i've put on over 10% in weight since giving up a tad over 6 weeks ago...

I have never put on wieght in my fookin LIFE before now! Scary LOL
Old 15-05-2007 | 03:36 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Originally Posted by Smit

P.S Saying that i've put on over 10% in weight since giving up a tad over 6 weeks ago...

I have never put on wieght in my fookin LIFE before now! Scary LOL
You need to put on weight anyway you string bean

Steve.
Old 15-05-2007 | 03:43 PM
R5COS

cheers for the comments guys dont like the sound of the lick the ashtray but id say it would work very hard to understand all this if you not a smoker, plus the smoking in pubs was banned over here bout 3 years ago and to be honest when that happened it made every pub and club have the best beer gardens around kinda like the brass balance pub in birkenhead if anyone is familar to that pub. gonna sell the smokes to a mate my mind is made up plus need the money for my second cossie which im saving for so that should keep me away from them.. thanks all
Old 15-05-2007 | 03:46 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Originally Posted by R5COS
need the money for my second cossie which im saving for so that should keep me away from them.. thanks all
You better stop then lol

They always cost money

Steve.
Old 15-05-2007 | 04:13 PM
addiction

i just woke up one morning and said to myself that i was going to quit! that was 7 weeks ago and i aint had a ciggarette since as said before you have to just stop! none of this "after this last pack" rubbish. if you REALLY want to quit you will!!
Old 15-05-2007 | 04:47 PM
D.K.
BANNED

i quit smoking when my missus told me she was up the duff 7 months later and i havent had 1 since .. been tempted but eat or chew gum instead now
Old 15-05-2007 | 04:58 PM
angel24

I did it gradual. From the 20 a day, taking it down to just 3, the ones after meals. Did that for a month, then the rest was easy. Changing your habits around smoking helps. For instance, if you are going on holiday try to give up then. As you are breaking the routine.
I gave up for 2 years, and wanted one quite often, promiced myself one at Christmas and it was horrible.

Due to some very stressful times i started again, and have been having the odd one or two a day for the last year. On the 1st of July, i will be giving up for good for the last time.

Good luck. Set yourself a goal, and stick with it. Mind over matter! You can do it, and you will, if you really want to.
Old 15-05-2007 | 05:08 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Use patches, they work really well.

Stick them over your eyes, you won't be able to find your fags.
Old 15-05-2007 | 05:11 PM
Nash
Cake lover!

My old man tried for years to quit using patchs etc but never lasted long.
The final straw came when the budget went up and they put 10p a pack on fags. He threw them in the bin there and then and hasnt had one in 2 years, thats after 40+ years aswell.

He said it was better not having anything than using patchs.
Old 15-05-2007 | 05:11 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dont try and quit.....just quit!

I quit with the mentality that I was now not a smoker.......not that im quiting or in the process.....Im just not a smoker.

That and focusing on your health, start excercising etc, and you wont miss it. I used fruit as a substitue, i.e when I got the cravings for a ciggy Id have an apple an orange a bannana etc.

best of luck
Old 15-05-2007 | 05:15 PM
D.K.
BANNED

Originally Posted by Andy_R
Dont try and quit.....just quit!

I quit with the mentality that I was now not a smoker.......not that im quiting or in the process.....Im just not a smoker.

That and focusing on your health, start excercising etc, and you wont miss it. I used fruit as a substitue, i.e when I got the cravings for a ciggy Id have an apple an orange a bannana etc.

best of luck
can just see him now walking round puffing on a banana
Old 15-05-2007 | 06:32 PM
RS-Leigh

Originally Posted by Paul Ripley
If you truly want to quit its starts from now.. not at the end of the pack, not at the end of day/week/month etc bollocks

When I quit I binned the fags I had, chucked the lighter, ash tray the lot and then eat loads and became a right fat bastard

Exactly the same with me......1 year on and 2 1/2 stone heavier!! Its all because the lack of nicotine fucks your metabolism up.

I used the nicorette fake fag, still have the odd puff on it now

try a few things mate, and see what works for you.

Leigh
Old 15-05-2007 | 07:55 PM
Series1Dry

Try patches. Stick 3 or 4 over your mouth and you can't get any fags in
Old 20-05-2007 | 02:07 PM
codey47
PassionFord Regular

quitting smoking any tips??

You shouldn't be asking for filter tips to be honest
Old 20-05-2007 | 08:39 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

I've never succeeded, so no tips to give apart from ....

Don't !!!

Wishing you success though
Old 20-05-2007 | 09:28 PM
mercury grey minter
PassionFord Post Troll

If the price don,t put you off smoking maybe dying of lung/throat cancer might.
Old 20-05-2007 | 09:45 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

i quit 4 years ago
will power is a wonderful thing

best tip is to smoke for one day your normal fags but tip the ash into a pint glass of water
the next day, the day you start being an ex-smoker, every time you want a fag you take a sip of the water
when the pint has gone you should be good enough to have quit

also a good thig is to test yourself once a week by going to the pub, ok you can't do this now the smoking laws will kick in but still, go to the pub when it's all smokey etc and breathe in the smoke

it gives you the feel of smoke and if you feel you can't stop the urge get out

at least you'll know how far you've come

but don't put a date on the calender, think "tomorrow i'm quiting" and stick to it
Old 20-05-2007 | 09:47 PM
snOOpy86

im on day 2 at the mo... must admit i cracked and did have 1 yesterday after dinner... but i have found today a bit easier and think the cravings will go after a couple more days? for me tho i think going back to work tomorow and not smoking at work is going to be very hard as we have a designated smoking room where most of the people i talk to sit in/smoke..

good luck to anyone trying to quit! its not easy.. btw im doing it cold turkey.. no patches,chewing gum,nicorette inhalor thing etc..
Old 20-05-2007 | 10:00 PM
Dannn

After 12 years (that was 6 years ago) I gave up smoking - cold turkey.

Tips:

1. Don't bother unless you really want to give up.

2. Don't tell your friends - say your cutting down and always say no if offered one. Smokers are complete cunts to people trying to give the habit up.

3. Its a state of mind - every morning promise yourself your not going to do it. When you start to faulter during the day promise yourself again.

4. Pubs will always be difficult but just look at them as a challange. My problem here was that I started drinking more due to carry round two drinks in my hands to keep the fag hand occupied. Turned me into a proper piss head which was not a good thing. Perhaps carry one beer and one soft drink round instead!!LOL

5. It will get easier slowly but surely over time - take 3 months to properly break the back of it so just keep going no matter how hard it is.

6. Never go back to it once you kick it. I hear all the time smokers that have been off it going back after a year or 2. They normally blame is on a stressful situation etc - thats bollocks they are just weak minded and gave in, don't be one of them! Another one is the I have one every so often just to remind myself how horrible it is - again thats bollocks.

Good luck, its one of my top personally acheivements giving up. I see photos of me with a fag in my hand and I can't beleive I was such a knob end! I still bump into people today who can't beleive I gave it up as everyone knew how much I loved my smokes

Dan
Old 20-05-2007 | 10:27 PM
silverfox999

Originally Posted by Smit
I've packed up for over 6 weeks now cold turkey no patchs anything Getting stronger by the day..
There are times u feel like one but just take your mind off it

It's all in your head, you have got to WANT to stop smoking, and have a reason!

M
I gave up about 5-6 years ago now and i STILL think about fags on a daily basis......

What ever you do DO not think, i can have one cigar at christmas and it will be all right.

I still believe i am a smoker even after 5+years. i am simply choosing not to, and that i can have one at, say Christmas - it seems to work for me.
Old 21-05-2007 | 12:03 AM
FletchCossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I gave up 4 weeks ago after smoking for 11 years @ 20-30 per day!

Went to the Doctors (Got 4 packs of step 1 patches for £12 instead of £20 each pack) on Tuesday, she tested my Carbon Monoxide level which was 35. Gave me a prescription for the patches and said when did I want to give up. I really thought at this stage "Will I be able to do it??" when the Doc said she could fit me in Thursday

Collected the patches on Wednesday, smoked 2 fags before bed on Weds night and went to bed. Woke up Thursday and put on my first patch! Day felt really strange! All me mates was smoking through the day, but I felt proud to say "I dont smoke anymore".

For the first week I had the attitude "Look at these muppets who have to smoke all the time. Im better than them as Ive given up" This actually worked for me and gave me motivation to not smoke. I also got a fear in my head (As I suffer from other things making me severly ill for past year) that if I smoked with a patch on it will make my illness worse...

After 7 days I went to the Docs and my Carbon Monoxide level was 4 iirc which is normal

After around 7-10 days my patch wouldn't stick onto my body (Put it in the wrong place on my chest) so I thought "I will not use one today as Ive felt fine". That was my worst day so far. Not been that stressed and worked up in years and couldn't do anything without breaking stuff or fucking things up! So next day I put a patch on, but cut it in half!

Ive had 1/2 a patch on everyday for a week and have had 1 day (Yesterday) where I felt like having a fag, but I have not given in and Im going back to see the Doc on Tuesday to get Stage 2 of the patches I almost forget daily to change my patch now So keep a spare in my coat and 1 in the car to be safe.

My girlfriend smokes, so when with her in the car I smell fags (She smokes between 2-5 roll-ups per day) and I quite like the smell tbh (Unsure why lol). But I still won't have one out of principle! My brother and 90% of my mates smoke! Ive been down the pub with smokers and it made me feel ill with the amount of smoke mixed with my patch :cry

Worst thing is breaking the "Routine" in the first week or so. It feels weird not smoking when your doing something, after eating, etc. It feels natural to me without fags now! I sweat alot more and feel hotter and have put weight on But I will combat that after Ive completly quit

ADDED: I gave up due to my son wanting me to for ages, my health, fag price being over £5 in most places and the fact people didn't think I had the strenght to give up!

Hope this helps you mate? Any questions please ask

Good luck
Old 21-05-2007 | 12:08 AM
aduz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as said above be strong and take the pain

good luck though mate
Old 21-05-2007 | 07:27 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Originally Posted by FletchCossie
ADDED: I gave up due to my son wanting me to for ages, my health, fag price being over £5 in most places and the fact people didn't think I had the strenght to give up!
one of my mates gave up years and years ago
he used to sit in the pub with a smile on his face taking deep breaths so one day we asked him why he was doing it and he said he was sitting there thinking about all of us and how he can breathe nice and freely while we are all inhaling lungfulls of cancer sticks

that was about 10 years ago and all 6 of us used to smoke
now, after one of us has passed away there is only one who smokes on the odd occasion

perhaps you will be the inspiration for your groups of friends to stop smoking too
Old 21-05-2007 | 08:00 AM
Paddy
Legend

There's some brilliant advice on here!

Sap it all up and find whats best for you.

I smoked for about 12 years, it varied how many but I gave up on January the 4th this year.

It is fucking hard and as someone said above, your smoker mates will probably give you NO encouragement as they still feel bad about smoking themselves, so don't tell them!

The hardest thing for me was breaking the habits associated with lighting up, after a meal or getting into a car or with a cup of coffee or whatever.... you need to substitute it with something. I get through 2 packs of chewies a day now.

Drink lots of water!

Someone also pointed out that smoking increases your metabolism, that coupled with eating more to compensate for no smokes means you're likely to put on weight. So join the gym or cycle everywhere or play golf/tennis and just excercise loads! Having said that, I do loads and am still a fat cunt

Also eat loads of fibre because your bowel movements will be off kilter Thats something they don't mention in the books

I gave up and have stayed given up through pure bloody mindedness. There was no epiphany or deciding factor, I am just stubborn and don't want to be a smoker anymore.

Good luck