General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Gearboxman standard of service

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzy
it sounds like the service you get from every garage ive ever used.they tend to double or treble book as youd be amazed at the amount of people that dont show.that doesnt seem to unreasonable to me tbh as nothing definate was actually discussed.3 days is nothing though,a garage once had my car for 6 weeks to replace the clutch cable under warranty and another took 17 weeks to do my engine conversion after quoting 2 weeks

how is that a defence for bernie,,,,,, your classing him as being a mechanic who dont care about his customers and saying that thats how we should expect garages to work

now i serve over 200 garages a day suplying parts to them, we deliver parts from within the hour to as late as 4 hours later,,,, the average time we deliver to customers is just over a hour,,,, yes just over a hour and thats all over london

so if a garage needs that long to fit a clutch cable,,, they hes taking you for a mug !!!

overbooking jobs is wrong unless the customer is made aware its gonna take what ever time to get done BEFORE its started

just cause you seem to accept cowboys working on you car please dont think this is a industry standard

if a part goes on back order the customer is made aware withing 4 hours of ordering and informed a estimated time they expect it

clutch cable can be done within a hour,,,, why let that person wait a week for it when its that fucking easy to do,,,,, wonder why the small garages are closing down and dealers are being taken there cars,,,, its cause some independants spoil it for the rest of the decent garages

engine conversions,,, ok thats a tricky one but if they WAS working on it and not just left it till the smaller money jobs came in and went then thats cool

ive got a mate whos been waiting for his car to be sprayed for 2 years now by a friend of a friend whos doing other car first and fucking him about,,, hes accepted it as he knows the blokes underquoted him,,,, but hes still took money off him and not done the job he was paied to do

tossers like this just prove that some mechanics are thick cunts who cant get a job when they left school so got a job as a mechanic/painter and decorator so they could earn money by ripping off hard working honest people who graft for a living

time to find a new garage mate

if ANY garage had my car for work that it was booked infor over 5 days when theres no extra headaches then i would go mental

good news is being in the game i get looked after and get work done free and its STILL done in the same lead time as paying customers and done to the SAME standard,,,, i hate garages who do shite jobs and use the excuse "its mates rates" to get you to accept the shite work cause the person aint got a clue what hes doing or just dont care

rant over

Old 04-05-2007, 09:28 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cossiep
Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75
My only observation is that if I had received that fax, I may have likewise misinterpreted it as a little hostile.

The rest sounds like plain misunderstanding as stated.

JJ

Please explain...... what part of my email is hostile ? it's all purely after information that should have been forthcoming

When I cannot plan my week, mess clients/ collegues around, I don't think a little hostility is unreasonable

I completely understand why you were frustrated, but the 'little hostility' that you refer to so early in a relationship is unlikely to have the desired effect.

For the sake of opinion, I will try to fill in how I would have taken the bits of your letter. Please remember that I am not trying to offend you - it is all too often the case that anything written can be taken in several different ways.....

CTS,

Can you please give me an indication as to when you you are palnning to diagnose the problem with my car which you have had since Monday morning. - This is agressive - you begin by telling him that you think he has been side stepping the problem

I appreciate you must be very busy, as we all are, a little sarcastic, thus negating the point that you are trying to make imho

however, upon booking it was never stated that you would be expecting to keep the car a day, let alone two or more. Given that it was booked in for a fault, and not complete failure, this is unrealistic, which I think you knew . I am self employed and this is my only vehicle and live 80 miles from you !, as a result I am having to hire a car for this week at significant expense, will I need to book it again for next week??? Hostile - this basically tells him how he is costing you money in your opinion. Also a little sarcastic particularly with your use of punctuation.

I would simply like to know weather the gearbox is repairable or scrap so as I can plan around this, as said, I'm sure you are busy, but I fail so see the point of me booking the car in a week in advance for it to sit not looked at for two days. restating again how you feel hard done by that the car could not be fixed in a day .I could of done that weeks ago prior to it failing. completely inflamatory! How on earth can you book a car in before it fails! What was the intention? .

I don't intend to pester you with phone calls but I would appreciate a call or reply to this message. You are pestering by fax which is more inflamatory albeit purposely or otherwise

Thanks

I would add that most I think in this day an age would accept that a vehicle diagnosis these days is done by computer rather than by stripping it. Even if the car had not deteriorated to failure, it is likely that Bernie in this first inspection would have probably told you that a bigger failure was possible, and would then have arranged for it to be booked in for the major works that it clearly needs.

Also, I would observe that generally most react better to friendly interaction.

Each of course to their own though

JJ
Old 04-05-2007, 09:28 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Originally Posted by JjCoDeX75
My only observation is that if I had received that fax, I may have likewise misinterpreted it as a little hostile.

The rest sounds like plain misunderstanding as stated.

JJ

Please explain...... what part of my email is hostile ? it's all purely after information that should have been forthcoming

When I cannot plan my week, mess clients/ collegues around, I don't think a little hostility is unreasonable
The tone in which it comes across is rather hostile. If you can't see that then no one will be able to explain why it's hostile as you clearly can't see it anyway. Not a dig, you did ask.

As for the original problem, after bernie has posted his side of the story it appears that if you had contacted cts before you took the car there to let them know it was now fucked and would be on a low loader he might have been better prepared to look at it.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Cossiep
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

JJ - You have a vivid imagination reading between the lines of the written word

At the end of the day, IF Bernie read and took my fax in the same light you have, then he CERTAINLY had enough time to fix my car

What you are all forgetting is that this ''hostile'' email at least got me AN answer................. maybe not the answer I was looking for but an answer

When I received Bernie's reply I was able to make my alternative arrangements................... had I sent him a love letter he MAY have ignored that and as I write this MAY still not have heard a peep from him
Old 04-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

If you book a car in, you expect it to be looked at and/or fixed on that day or if it needs parts, within a couple of days.

No way would I ever wait over 3-4 days for anything as simple as a phone call for them to tell me the gearbox is fucked when you already knew.

I've taken my car to a garage before - took them one day to change the following: Cambelt, spark plugs, leads, aux pulley, aux pulley belt, 2 gearbox mounts, alternator, oil and filter change. They were a busy garage but also said they would look at the car when it was booked in. All for £200 too.

People are standing up for a poor service as they understand he takes his time as he is a well known fitter. In all fairness, if its going to take long, spend 30 seconds ringing the person explaining the situation. NOT taking 3 days to tell the customer its fucked.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:18 PM
JjCoDeX75
PassionFord Post Whore!!

JJ - You have a vivid imagination reading between the lines of the written word

At the end of the day, IF Bernie read and took my fax in the same light you have, then he CERTAINLY had enough time to fix my car

What you are all forgetting is that this ''hostile'' email at least got me AN answer................. maybe not the answer I was looking for but an answer

When I received Bernie's reply I was able to make my alternative arrangements................... had I sent him a love letter he MAY have ignored that and as I write this MAY still not have heard a peep from him
Fair enough matey - no offence intended

Just trying to emphasise that the written word can be greatly interpreted!

JJ
Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

ive skipped reading everyhitng since my last post (mainly because it involved ginge's essays )

but just so you know in my situation, the conversation went something like this:
bernie: "whats wrong with it"
me: "i just fancy a rebuild"
bernie: "why?"
me: "because i just do"
bernie: "sure it's not the clutch"
me: "naaaa.... just do the box"

2 weeks later...

me: "actually i think it's the clutch..."
bernie "