General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

HELP!!! can anyone here cook?!

Search this Thread

Old 22-04-2007, 12:21 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!!! can anyone here cook?!

ok don't ask but i have the task of cooking a roast dinner today, the most i've ever cooked is beans on toast soooo i'm asking for help from you lovely people!

i have a 2kg piece of topside beef, i've put it in the middle of a preheated oven at it's highest setting which is about 220o i've put it in a baking tray with salt, pepper and a large chunk of beef dripping from the fridge.

i've worked out it needs to be cooked for atleast 2.5 hours but do i need to turn it over halfway through or anything? is the oven too hot?

once it's cooked i can use the tin and juices for the roast potatos yeah? and i have to leave them in a saucepan until they boil then transfer them to the oven?

yorkshire pudding? i haven't a clue here so any help much appricated!?

veg i can blag my way through hopfully!

any other useful tips i need to know?

gravey?
Old 22-04-2007, 12:25 PM
bigneck
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

put the beef into a casserole dish, fill with a couple inches water, ad one onion cut, stock cube and oxo cube cover and cook in oven for about 2 hrs

fookin gorgeous m8 and also will be ya onion gravy in the dish will prob need to add some hot water from kettle to thin it out a tad when serving
Old 22-04-2007, 12:27 PM
Katie

Legend! I'm so glad there's other people in this world who can't cook either...it's not just me..

How the fuck did you end up doing that though? I'd have run for it
Old 22-04-2007, 12:28 PM
bigneck
Banned

oh and if you have a steamer steam the veggies soooo much nicer
Old 22-04-2007, 12:33 PM
Tall Geezer
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I usually work it out to 15 minutes per 500g and then another 30 minutes on top. Should cook it reasonably rare, also make the oven 200 otherwise you risk the outside going to hard.
Don't bother boiling the roast potatos, just peel 'em and 45 minute before the meat is due to finish cooking put them in the roasting tin with the meet. Cover them in the dripping. After 20 minutes ish recover the roasties again with dripping. When meat finished cooking, leave to rest for 20 minutes under a bit of foil. Whilst meet is resting take roasties out of roasting tin, put on a baking tray and crank the oven up to 230 for 20 minutes. Roasties done.
For gravey, drain off all the excess fat from the roasting tin then the very last bit, like a table spoon full should have the most of the meat juice etc. in. Plonk this in to a pan, add your standard gravy mix (That you've already made Blue Peter style) to the pan and leave to simmer for 10 minutes and keep stirring.
Yorkshires, go to Asda - but Aunt Bessies or those ones you just bang in the oven for 5 minutes. Saves the hassle.....

Hope that helps chap
Old 22-04-2007, 12:34 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

it's more a case of "you are useless and can't do anything for yourself, theres a bit of beef in the kitchen you can't cook it you wouldn't know where to start..."

errr, of course i can..............................................

so yeah, heres my sunday so far!!! Prepare for similar posts on a daily basis as it looks like i'm gonne be doing the cooking from now on!

anyways, what temp should i have this oven on, is 220 ok?

i don't have any onions - or atleast i can't find them - so i'm just leave it like that i think.

cheers matt, i like stuff well done so shall i still stick to 200?

re yorkshires, going out and buying them defeats the object of proving i can cook!
Old 22-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

How I do my beef...

Preheat oven for 10 mins on gas mark 6 or 7 (important)

bit of oil in a big metal dish, put on the gas until it starts to sizzle.

Add the raw beef and sear it all over untill brown, this keeps all the juices in from when its in the oven.

Use another tin and add the beef, raise it up off the bottom tho using half potatoes or even the metal thing from grill etc

Pour about 1/3rd bottle of GOOD red wine over it, add a bit of salt and pepper.

High gas to start with for first 30 mins (prolly gas 6 or 7), then turn down to about 3-4 for the rest of the time.

When cooked remove from oven and wrap a few times in foil, this is also very important as it allows the meat to rest, and will be a lot more tender. I do this with all roast meats (inc chicken) for about 45 minutes.

Use the juice under the beef for the gravy, just add a few granules to required thickness and maybe a bit of water/red wine

As for the roasties (health disclaimer warning), get another tin (or use the beef tray after juices removed for gravy), add some beef dripping (goose fat is better) and put in oven, get it REALLY hot!

Parboil the peeled potatoes till they are just going soft, test with a knife. Once you think they are ready, put in an empty saucepan with a lid on and SHAKE em like a coont (they will fluff up round outside of each potatoe).
Get the tin with the beef dripping in from oven, and tip the potatoes out the saucepan into tin. You'll know if u got it hot enough coz it will sizzle like chips

Turn em over so they get coated in the dripping.

Then stick in the oven, on the top on about gas 4-5, turning as necessary.

Yorkies, piece of piss, keep frozen literally until you are about to dish up, put them on a flat tray, no oil or anything, and stick in a hot oven. These literally take about 1-2 mins MAX.

There you go, hope this helps
Old 22-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Katie

Originally Posted by James
it's more a case of "you are useless and can't do anything for yourself, theres a bit of beef in the kitchen you can't cook it you wouldn't know where to start..."

errr, of course i can..............................................

so yeah, heres my sunday so far!!! Prepare for similar posts on a daily basis as it looks like i'm gonne be doing the cooking from now on!

anyways, what temp should i have this oven on, is 220 ok?

i don't have any onions - or atleast i can't find them - so i'm just leave it like that i think.

re yorkshires, going out and buying them defeats the object of proving i can cook!
Good luck...I'll put up a similar post when I've run out of things to put on the george foreman and have with oven chips....6 months in so far and no signs of boredom
Old 22-04-2007, 01:02 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Roast potatoes - as Stu said, but parboil them, but the best way to do it is this.

Peel them and cut them to the right size. But them in cold water, bring to the boil, and then test with the knife. The test is that when you pierce one with a knife, it should slide gently off the knife when being held out the water.

Drain and them, and let them sit for 15 mins. THEN put them back in the saucepan, shake them, and put them sraight into very very hot goose fat.

Turn them once during cooking (about 45 mins depending on size).
Old 22-04-2007, 01:05 PM
kizzy118
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Default Re: HELP!!! can anyone here cook?!

ok don't ask but i have the task of cooking a roast dinner today, the most i've ever cooked is beans on toast soooo i'm asking for help from you lovely people!

i have a 2kg piece of topside beef, i've put it in the middle of a preheated oven at it's highest setting which is about 220o i've put it in a baking tray with salt, pepper and a large chunk of beef dripping from the fridge.

i've worked out it needs to be cooked for atleast 2.5 hours but do i need to turn it over halfway through or anything? is the oven too hot?

once it's cooked i can use the tin and juices for the roast potatos yeah? and i have to leave them in a saucepan until they boil then transfer them to the oven?

yorkshire pudding? i haven't a clue here so any help much appricated!?

veg i can blag my way through hopfully!

any other useful tips i need to know?

gravey?
put the beef in the oven for about 2 hrs when u take it out leave it to rest for 15mins before cutting (it makes it a lot easier)

par cook the tatties then cheat by deep frying them sooo much quicker

put the jucies from the meat in to a pot heat and add grary granules an water till u have enough

as for the yorkies od go to the shop an buy the ready made ones u heat in the oven

veg the best way is in the steamer as it wont turn to mush
Old 22-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Tall Geezer
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

[quote="James"]

[quote]

Yeah, just leave the meat in a bit longer. Extra 15 minutes or so.....
Old 22-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yorkshire Puds.

i use equal measures of everything.

1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of milk
1 cup of eggs.

Put a bit of oil in your pudding dish(s) and slam it in the oven.

Mix all ingredients together until smooth.

Remove dish(s) from oven and put even amounts in each one. When putting the mix in you will find it spits/sounds like its frying.

Once done, shove them in the oven for about 25-30 mins.

Should end up with hugh puddings. I always do
Old 22-04-2007, 01:49 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

ok, richardpon, how long on the boil shoud those potatos take?

i've got them peeled and just sitting in a saucepan awaiting atm. suppose i need to wait until the meat is nearly cooked really don't i.

adrian, i've found a recipe online for that, thanks all the same though, i've got it sat in the fridge atm.

errrrrrr potatos are waiting, meat is in the oven, yorkshire in the fridge? anything i've missed? gravey when the meat is done, some frozen peas/carrots won't take long.

i don't get what the fuss is over, it's easy!

i'll post some pictures later if all looks as it should!

many thanks folks!

just taken it out and turned it over, it sure smells good!
Old 22-04-2007, 01:51 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Get the roasties on soon mate, dont forget to leave the meat out oven for 30 mins minimum when done!

Old 22-04-2007, 02:40 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

roasties are in the oven around the meat now, i've put a tin in the top of the oven with some lard in ready to pour the yorkshire mix into in a minute. although, i guess the yorkshire will only take 15 mins tops so i'd better leave this until a bit later i guess?
Old 22-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Katie
Legend! I'm so glad there's other people in this world who can't cook either...it's not just me..

Thats bang out of order, next thing you'll probably tell us you dont clean and iron either?
Old 22-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Katie

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Originally Posted by Katie

Thats bang out of order, next thing you'll probably tell us you dont clean and iron either?
Oh...I can use the washing machine...mastered the dryer last night...but no, I don't iron anything but knickers...you can hang everything else up so the creases drop out...but creased pants just will not do

I like to consider myself more the kitchen supervisor than the chef...domestic goddess just wouldn't suit me really ...going back to Uni later as my housemate makes sunday roast every week and more to the point, dessert...might email her to make me some extra...but she usually remembers

I did however, buy some salmon fillets earlier...going to oveny foily thingy them....but they do microwave too for when it all turns to shit....result!
Old 22-04-2007, 05:22 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well, big thanks to you guys, it was lovely as it turned out!

Old 22-04-2007, 05:32 PM
S1

fukkin hell mate, not too sad for a first timer
Old 23-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Good effort mate!

Shame I wasn't around yesterday to help, been doing Roast dinner since I was about 10. It's all in the timing.
Old 23-04-2007, 08:15 AM
philc
Advanced PassionFord User

not bad mate but get a yorky/muffin tray rather than using a square tin!
Old 23-04-2007, 08:58 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

i can't understand how it's so complicated to cook food, ireally can't

you tell your wife/mother that you are hungrey and, hey presto, there is food on the table

and if there isn't a wife/mother present, you go to the chippy across the road of the maccy d's round the corner

ok, i do know how to cook, but not the stuff you are on about, indian food normally consists of chopping up vast amounts of onion and potato and then making 2 things on the go at the same time before mixing them up at the end

oil in a pan, add onions and other stuff, brown the onions and job done
then you've got whatever else you are making in the pot ready to go and it's done
5 minutes to bash out a few roti's and you are erady to eat, none of this "stick it i the oven at gas mark something for x amount of hours" we'd be there all day looking at food we couldn't eat

but option one fella's
Old 23-04-2007, 02:38 PM
kizzy118

great for ur first meal ive benn training as a cahef for 2 years an i still manage to burn pizza
Old 23-04-2007, 02:40 PM
philc
Advanced PassionFord User

no wonder you burn pizza what the fuck is a cahef
try the chef class room this week
Old 23-04-2007, 05:03 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i have to confess the yorkshire did go a bit tits up, it tasted raw and a bit soft/moist and it needed more salt but yeah, i was impressed anyways
Old 24-04-2007, 05:26 PM
kizzy118

Originally Posted by philc
no wonder you burn pizza what the fuck is a cahef
try the chef class room this week
my spellin is crap its ment to be chef lol
Old 25-04-2007, 08:20 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, big thanks to you guys, it was lovely as it turned out!

fook off thats a google picture

if it was all your own work.i take my hat off to ya
Old 25-04-2007, 06:30 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lol! it's my own work honest!
Old 28-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Roasts are hard! As GrahamS1 said its all in the timing and takes a few times usually to get right

Quick question for any Chefs here! Anyone ever soak steak in beer etc then cooked it? Heared it quite nice, but dont want to waste a steak or beer trying it and turning out horrible

So question anyone done it, and what type of beer would be used? Any preferance are is it down the personal taste? I dont like Larger so dont want that.
Old 28-04-2007, 06:12 PM
CliffRS4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rhys
Roasts are hard! As GrahamS1 said its all in the timing and takes a few times usually to get right

Quick question for any Chefs here! Anyone ever soak steak in beer etc then cooked it? Heared it quite nice, but dont want to waste a steak or beer trying it and turning out horrible

So question anyone done it, and what type of beer would be used? Any preferance are is it down the personal taste? I dont like Larger so dont want that.
Rhys I can't imagine you wasting a can of beer on the food. Moneys on that you drink it rather than put it on the steak
Old 28-04-2007, 06:18 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

BTTT for Rhys!
Old 28-04-2007, 06:34 PM
CliffRS4
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Been a chef in the Army for the past near on 10 years now.

Yes you can marinade the steak in the beer etc. I'd advise that you leave it in the alcohol for about 24 hours in the fridge to absorb the lager or whatever you use.

A better thing to do with beef although the final product will be cold.

Get a filet of beef. Remove the sinew and fat from it.

Cut the filet ( downwards from the top to the bottom ) so that you are left with 2 filets ( a left and right if you have cut it correctly ).

Tie the 2 small filets ( seperately ) as if you were to tie a joint of meat for a roast.

Crush some whole black pepper, cut and juice lemons and limes. Get some fresh thyme and take it off the stalk.

Marinade this all together with a little olive oil and leave it to marinade in the fridge for 24 hours.

To cook this you only need to get a pan red hot, add a little olive oil to the pan and seal the filet off so that it is cooked only on the outside. This will not take long at all.

Cool the filet down and then cut the string and thinly slice it.

It is supposed to be rare on the inside.

This really does taste so nice

It's called Beef Cappachio
Old 28-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Hmmm Sounds Tastey Cliff!

LOL about drinking the beer before marinating the steak in it i have heared about it a few times and always fancied it. Maybe somthing like a stout? hmmm Will have a play with stuff over the summer and lob it on a BBQ.

That above does sound nice! Oh and i hate steaks well done, like easting rubber! medium/rare please so melts in mouth
Old 28-04-2007, 08:37 PM
Benn 304R
10K+ Poster!!

ark at all the lazy bastards buying aunt bessie's

for puker yorkies use plain flour, 3 eggs, milk and the secret ingrediant to make them rise like a bitch is 1 egg white

basically no matter how many eggs you use, always add one egg white
Old 28-04-2007, 08:52 PM
c0ss1e9i6
Franco

Well done! Not bad for a first timer!

Sorry I wasn't around to help, but you got some top tips anyway!

Try doing mange tout and baby sweetcorn or cauliliflour and broccolli cheese, (easier than it sounds, buy a sachet of cheese sauce, follow instructions, pour over cooked and drained veg!) with peas and carrots! Finishes off a good roast
Old 28-04-2007, 09:09 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

dunno whether to try my luck again tomorrow or not, lol!
Old 28-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Benn 304R
10K+ Poster!!

also looks like the oil wasnt hot enough for the yorkie
Old 28-04-2007, 09:17 PM
c0ss1e9i6
Franco

dunno whether to try my luck again tomorrow or not, lol!
Go for it!!!
Old 29-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

i can smell a cooked dinner being cooked now and is making me fookin hungry