General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How does capacity affect BHP?

Search this Thread

Old 26-04-2007, 08:02 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Originally Posted by rapidcossie
I staed that a 25% increase in capacity will see you a 25 % increase in power...

I got shot down in flames for stating this even tho i know it to be true.
So tell me then, since your 100% right and certain the rest of us are talking nonsense... if the Cylinder head you bolt this new capacity bottom end onto cannot flow 25% more air than it did previous. Where is your extra power being made and how was it achieved?
I did not state that you will get your increase in ALL cases.

The engine I originally commented on was my friends subaru EJ20 which is known for having big valves anyway.

He bolted on an EJ25 bottom end and got a 25% increase in power.

This is all I commented on but was told this HAD to be un true due to these laws and ideas people had.

I said I had wittnessed with my own eyes so I knew it to be true.

I then provided other examples where this is also true.

I dont claim to be an expert or do I claim to be 100% correct but I did claim that these increases where achiveable where other said thy were not.

I think this shows that everyone is arguing about different things and are all correct in their own way. To finalise my thought on why you cant just increase capacity and gain great power;

If you had taken that scoob to 3.0 litres and gained 50% more power, do you hionestly think that then boring it to 6 litres will actually double it? Thats what your posts have suggested you think, hich is why everyone is debating it...

Some engines are capped miles away from their flow limits and some are damn close to it indeed. And this topic, incidentally, was about Turbocharged engines not NASP, and i dont care how big you bore out the YB, a 4litre standard YB with a T4 on will NOT make 1100BHP no matter what your friends say.
Now your just being silly Stu
Old 26-04-2007, 08:04 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
[edited because i sounded like an argumentative cnut]

either you're right, or the highly skilled professional reputable engine builders are
we are both right Jim but we are kinda going off on different wavelengths now.

we could go on and on about this but it is getting us no where..

people will only listen to these well respected engine builders and not some silly person who has all these silly ideas about getting power from engines

Funny how this silly persons engine out performed the well respected engine builders engine even tho the well respected engine was 100 bhp more powerful...

Old 26-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Funny how this silly persons engine out performed the well respected engine builders engine even tho the well respected engine was 100 bhp more powerful...
LOL at you resorting the catty digs now...

I dont actually know what tuners cars were there as i didnt attend but If you mean Lee in the Martini 3 door that I mapped (B16 BHP) then you will find he was on his limiter at 7800rpm due to lowered gearing for sprints and he reached that speed in 0.7m.

If you mean Andy Warnells well his is built as a track car and did a respectable top speed as far as i am aware?

Yours is teh one built for top speeds is it not? Or will you be challenging Lee at the Pod and Andy at Donnington?
Old 26-04-2007, 08:36 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Old 26-04-2007, 08:40 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

LOL at you resorting the catty digs now...

I dont actually know what tuners cars were there as i didnt attend but If you mean Lee in the Martini 3 door that I mapped (B16 BHP) then you will find he was on his limiter at 7800rpm due to lowered gearing for sprints and he reached that speed in 0.7m.

If you mean Andy Warnells well his is built as a track car and did a respectable top speed as far as i am aware?

Yours is the one built for top speeds is it not? Or will you be challenging Lee at the Pod and Andy at Donnington?
Alot of people on here are blinkered Stu, thats what Im getting at.

No disrespect to anyone but just beacuse Karl or yourself say something it does not mean that it has to be taken as gospel.

On another note my car was not build as a top speed car, its only a basic T4 engine in a standard saf that creeped up to 4th and nailed it, what happened after that was just good luck

Lee and Andy Im not having a dig
Old 26-04-2007, 08:43 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl
Hello all,

I'm only on here briefly whilst checking mail, so please dont ask any other questions as I probably won't be here to reply.

Increasing capacity "can" give a power increase but usually does'nt in 95% of cases. This is because it is usually the cylinder head air flow that defines the total air flow through the engine and hence it is the cylinder head that dicates power, NOT capacity.

As a good example take a 1.6cvh fitted with a stock 32/34 weber carb. Makes around 90bhp. Bolt ALL the parts onto a 1800cvh bottom end with the same compression ratio....................guess what..............90bhp!

The difference is that the 1800 will make that same power a few hundred rpm earlier but the maximum power is actually determined by the maximum air flow through the engine. In this example it is contolled by the head flow.(and manifolds of course)

To put it another way on two otherwise identical engines except one being bigger capacity than the other, provided the smaller engine can physically rev that little harder (i.e. mechanically without failure) then the power will be the same.

These rules apply to N/A and turbo.

However what can be misunderstood is that by using a larger capacity engine with a turbo, it is possible to make use of larger turbos without excessive lag that you would encounter with a smaller engine, and hence produce more power because you have a larger turbo. (Unless you are prepared to live with the reduced response from the smaller capacity engine)

And finally for all the doubting thomas's....................

A 2.4 YB fitted with a T34 will make around 380bhp running the turbo flat out. A 2.0 fitted with the same components.....................guess what................ 380bhp.

The 2.4 will simply make it lower in the rpm band, but likewise will run out of puff earlier meaning that the power band is no wider than the 2.0, simply that it occurs at lower rpms. This scenario is only usefull in cases where the engine has reached the end of its mechanical ability to rev, yet more power is required.

If we look at the range of 6 cylinder BMW engine we see that power does in fact increase in a linear fashion as the bottom end sizes increase 1.8 thru to 2.8 etc

Another example is the sierra OHC engines, look at the 1300 thru to the 2 litre versions, the power increases in a very linear fashion.

Going back to what tabetha and Alex said about the laws of diminishing results or some nonsense? meaning that you wont get 25% more power from a 25% increase in capacity.

I have a engine data book here that proves otherwise

The OHC range again shows you actually get more power than you would expect in some cases when going up in capacity.
Then surely these engines with just bigger bore sizes must all have heads that on lower capacity versions (1300 etc) can flow more air than necessary, and all rev to roughly the same point, or each different capacity version has a different (spec) head
Old 26-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Alot of people on here are blinkered Stu, thats what Im getting at.

No disrespect to anyone but just beacuse Karl or yourself say something it does not mean that it has to be taken as gospel.
I couldnt agree more. Every day of my life i am learning new things, some related to my current proffession and some not. I assure you that tomorrow i will be more knowledgable than i am today... of that there is no doubt. It may be knowledge of Karate, It may be knowledge of Photography or perhaps it will be something automotive related, but regardless of what the topic is, i am still eager to learn and i hope others are sensible enough to see that and take all advice with at least a grain or two of salt!!

I would NEVER want anyone to assume i am right just because i get paid to do it... i would hope they were bright enough to listen to my beliefs and arguments and then use them as a basis to start their own research into teh subject.
Old 26-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually, i disagree.

if a doctor tells me something about medicine i dont tell them theyre wrong because i disagree.

if a plumber tells me something about pipes i dont assume he's wrong.

people are stating facts, not opinions, don't you see the difference?
Old 27-04-2007, 04:09 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i question EVERYTHING that im told
Old 27-04-2007, 07:39 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

actually, i disagree.

if a doctor tells me something about medicine i dont tell them theyre wrong because i disagree.

if a plumber tells me something about pipes i dont assume he's wrong.

people are stating facts, not opinions, don't you see the difference?
i disagree with you jim.

if they are stating a fact, then of course they are right because it is a fact. but someone saying 'this is a fact' does not make it so, even if they appear to be qualified to say so.

we are all humans with the ability to listen, think, reason, research, learn and should do that every moment of every day
Old 27-04-2007, 07:40 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

So you should Gareth - everyone should.

But when presented with adequate proof to support a fact or theory then you should accept that fact or theory, even if previously you disagreed with it.

Alex

PS I did some reading on Pintos last night - the last thing you do when tuning them is modify the size of the ports. They are TOO BIG as std. This supports why a simple capacity change works. The head can flow the extra air required to fill the cylinder and make a bigger bang because of that.
Old 27-04-2007, 07:57 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

AlexF and you believe that, just because you read it? you should test it yourself
Old 27-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that all Euan is trying to say that if you increase the capacity at the same time as improving the flow capability of the head and the turbo, that the power goes up by "around" the increase in capacity.

Everyone else seems to be taking the stance of limiting the increase by retaining certain limiting factors . But to be honest, you would have to be REALLY stupid to retain these limits when increasing the capacity. Obviously the norm is to take advantage of this extra air flow with a bigger turbo etc....

See that was easy, you just have to see it from BOTH sides .
Old 27-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

nick, then it comes down to trust i s'pose.

i trust alex to know that if he says something's a fact, then it is. if he wasn't 100% sure, he wouldnt say it. stu same as alex.

Karl i don't trust as i dont know him, but then i've never seen him be proven wrong on this kind of thing, so i'm confident in his abilities.
Old 27-04-2007, 08:58 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

LOL @ nick - I would test it but for the fact I would simply be covering very old ground. I trust Dave Walker's comments so his words on shitty old Ford engines will do for me

I try VERY hard not to spout shite about cars - to the extent its my job!

I am paid by BMW to teach their apprentices in the best programme there is (goverment proven ).

Its a matter of pride - and the fact I like to be right

Alex
Old 27-04-2007, 11:07 AM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by AlexF
So you should Gareth - everyone should.

But when presented with adequate proof to support a fact or theory then you should accept that fact or theory, even if previously you disagreed with it.

Alex

PS I did some reading on Pintos last night - the last thing you do when tuning them is modify the size of the ports. They are TOO BIG as std. This supports why a simple capacity change works. The head can flow the extra air required to fill the cylinder and make a bigger bang because of that.
So what I said is in fact correct!

The extra power does come from the increase in capcity

Ill have my apology anytime guys
Old 27-04-2007, 12:36 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

didnt say it was a restriction

Bigger capacity can flow more air so it should make more power with it.

so your back tracking now?

Old 27-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

rapid, but in that scenario, you're not gaining power due to the increase in capacity per-say.

it's just that the change you make "fixes" the other flaws with the engine, and makes it work as it should

bit like mapping, when you map an engine, you don't create power, you release power thats already there as potential
Old 27-04-2007, 12:48 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

depends on the system. stu explains this very well in his technical sections in Fast Ford. describing how/why this would work.

if we're talking cossie? no, it'd need a remap
Old 27-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rapid, but in that scenario, you're not gaining power due to the increase in capacity per-say.

it's just that the change you make "fixes" the other flaws with the engine, and makes it work as it should

bit like mapping, when you map an engine, you don't create power, you release power thats already there as potential
I disagree with that, as of course you're gaining power from the increase in capacity, as all an engine is is an air pump. The bigger it is, the more it can pump. Obviously you have to make sure that there are no items on the pump restricting it's input / output, but if these are matched to the flow capacity of the engine, then power WILL go up with capacity increase .

You'd have to be pretty stupid to increase the capacity without taking advantage of this increase with improved in/out additions.
Old 27-04-2007, 03:39 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

So with a bigger bottom end and similar head, will just the torque be increased?

My car (2.1zvh) only made 267.7bhp on APT rollers, whereas Christian made 322.5bhp (1.6cvh), on the other hand mine made 325ft/lb and Christians (If I read the graph correctly) made 271ft/lb.

Pretty much a complete swap of BHP and TORQUE.

I know a lot of other factors come into it, but is this the general outcome of bigger bottom ends over smaller ones?

His made peak power at 5000 and mine at 4000, although he is using a bigger turbo (gt30 to my t34/5).

I dont know really, hence the questions

Old 27-04-2007, 03:51 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Stu.H if you had picked the best bits out of the post, you could answer that yourself
Old 27-04-2007, 03:54 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
Stu.H if you had picked the best bits out of the post, you could answer that yourself
I bet I probably could as well
Old 27-04-2007, 03:56 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

29000 members and 29000 opinions. A typical day on PF

People that lack experience should listen to those with it !