General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Nurburgring Easter 2007. My story... (WARNING: 100s of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Nurburgring Easter 2007. My story... (WARNING: 100s of pics)

Well, this year was an interesting one for many reasons, but not least of all because it was my first without some form of Cosworth, but more of that later...

I arranged for myself, and Nicole to go to our usual hotel in Herschbroic, one of the most beautiful locations within the Nurburgring circuit itself, and fabulous value for money with a friendly family whom speak perfect English.

I took all the deposits and forwarded them to Germany, and then 1 or 2 dropped out, creating an instant headache, especially for Nicole as her only passenger dropped out meaning, since she didn’t want to drive on her own so had to share a car with us instead, not a great start for her at all. Especially given it was all booked over 5months in advance... how much notice do some people need?

Anyway, this time we decided to bite the bullet, and instead of driving to the Euro tunnel as we normally do, we decided to sail... something I am not too proud to admit has always scared me somewhat... but they say, there’s only one way to conquer a fear and that’s to crack on and do it.. so Wednesday came and off we went to the ferry terminal in Hull.. All went well and we rendezvoud with other PF members at a service station on the M62. Spirits were high and it was great to see some good old friends, and also meet some new ones.

We got to teh terminal with time to spare. Jeeps... these Ferrys are HUGE arent they!!
I didn’t get many pics on the ferry as i was pre-occupied with getting drunk so I wasn’t as nervous, but here are a few pictures i did take.

The ferry sets sail. Those things sat on the back are articulated lorry’s!!

A floating car park. Hmm... How the hell do these float?

Our Cabin. This is a "Premier" Version. Hmm...

The bunch we are travelling with. All great people.

Some of the PFers having a great time on the Boat.

We set sail from Hull at 9pm UK time and landed at Rotterdam at 8am European time. I didn’t get any sleep at all as the constant throbbing and vibration of the Engine kept me awake. bad start to the drive, I was knackered, but still in high spirits as i just love driving in Europe. Its so less stressful than the UK, and only those who have driven there for any time will understand what i mean by that.

We drive through Rotterdam, Holland and Germany, finally arriving at Herschbroic Village around 1pm on Thursday and meet our hotelier Edgar. Its great to see him and fabulous to find he remembers many of our names. Nice touch.

The Hotel from above:

Edgar:

Edgar’s Dog. "Wolfie"

View from my room:

We all unpacked and met up with some of the other crew we had booked in with us. This is it, the fun really begins here... Within an hour we were off to the ring, led by me, the virgins were eager to lose their virginity and i was eager to get some laps in at the controls of the new girl.

Here’s a few of the people and their cars in our hotel, all PFers.

Sadly, the ring was closed until around teatime, but we did get to watch some serious new machinery being tested, such as what we thought was a new M3 and a new Mercedes. We were privileged to be stood beside the main straight as these things went passed us sat on their limiters in top gear. The sound of the air being displaced was tremendous, and really got us all in the mood for some serious action.

We all went up to the corner called showboat and watched the action for a while.

Them the camera's went away and we drove the ring for the first time of teh trip.
The look on the newbie’s faces when they came in from the first laps was worth the trip alone. I still remember the awe I felt just being at the place on my first tgrip, and indeed I still feel it a little each trip i do. Fabulous.

That night we went up to the museum / F1 Pits area and ate in the hotel there. Its one of the few places big enough to house us all and we managed to get half of PassionFord in there as usual.

Day one over. Phew.

Next day was the big one for us all. We got up at 7am, ate, and was at the ring for 8am. The place was already buzzing with activity and i set out to really make an effort whilst the traffic was low.

The car I took this year was a MY2000 BMW 323Ci SE.
She weighs in at 1430KG and has 170bhp so that gives her around 118bhp per Tonne. Not a fast car by anyone’s standards, but a far nicer chassis than any Cosworth, and that I figured, was the main thing in my favour. The chassis was totally standard and has done 102K miles. I shod her in some sexy Michelin Pilot sport PS2,s changed the oil and left for the ferry, so she had no special preparation at all.

Having only been twice, i was taking it easy all day but found even on the fist lap that i had far far more confidence in the cars abilities to do as I wanted than I had ever had with the Cosworth. The braking is better (STD brakes with DS2500 Pads fitted). The steering wasn’t as nice as its a bit light and lifeless, the traction was far superior on turn in and the rear axle was never delivered enough power to break the 255/35/18s free, so that was never a problem, but the power was poor in the uphill section, very poor indeed. I was getting quite annoyed in some parts, but it did, I must admit, force me to learn better lines and find better ways to approach these areas with more speed.

On the fast back 2km straight, the most the car ever achieved was a lowly 121mph. I am sure a decent Cosworth or M3 will be doing well over 160 1/2 way down there. My 121 was achieved at the braking point at the 2kms end after being flat to the floor until then.

Some pictures of cars on the ring, including one of mine.

All in all we all had a fabulous time at the ring this year. I must admit now and apologise for something though. This year i found that arranging it for 30+ people was a bad idea and I was starting to get strained with my phone ringing every 20mins and texts coming in asking me what we were eating, where, when, etc, and it started to get me down as I spent all day and night wondering where we were going to eat with so many peeps and what to do next day etc so I had to take a back seat and just do my own thing with my friends as it was affecting the holiday and my overall mood. I asked peeps to just do their own thing and everyone did, and had a far better time for doing so as well i am sure.

At least now I know my limits and I firmly believe that the experience is better in groups of 8 or so. As long as you’re all there together then you will have a great time, but more than a handful is impossible to coordinate properly in such a place. Lesson Learnt.

The above lesson was proved Friday night when we went to our first meal i had pre arranged with the teh kind help of my German speaking friend ON-OUJA (Brent)

Sadly, although teh booking was perfectly made by Brent, and they knew we were coming... the place was ill prepared for our table of 23 and simply could not accommodate us.

After leaving us all out in the cold for 20 mins, then seating 3 or 4 here and 5 or 6 there, we finally all found seats somewhere in the restaurant an hour later.. Well, when I say ALL, I mean all Bar myself and Dan. We were allocated 2 seats outside on the pavement on our own. To say I felt a bit down at this point would be an understatement. I was gutted beyond belief. The final cap came when the waitress popped out and told me we could now order, but they were out of PIZZA DOUGH!

I mentioned to her that I was pissed off, mentioned I had pre ordered this meal for my friends many weeks ago and mentioned I was pissed off again. I think she understood one or two words... We then left, and all got seated in a great little Chinese that Dan and Nick found down teh road. Thank god for you two lads as I was ready to get a cab back to the hotel and go to bed.

From there we went to a bar and all got well and truly hammered...

The pics below are random eating and drinking shots:

In the daytime we regularly ate at a little restaurant behind the Ring fuel station. Good food and good prices, you can’t really go wrong there:

When i wasn’t driving, and that wasn’t often as i got 37 laps in amongst our other activities, it was great to just chill out and take in some of the amazing sites that are to be found at the Nurburgiring on a busy day. The exotica and rare machines are overflowing as always...

On Sunday Night we went to the second restaurant i had pre-booked for us all. Th Piston Klaus. Sabine and Klaus Schmidt’s Restaurant. As well as eating great food, we took the opportunity to give Jay his birthday Cake that Kim, Stu and Nicole had bought the day before. I sadly didn’t get many pics, but here’s what I have:

On Monday, we decided to do something really unusual, so we went OFF ROADING. This was one of the highlights of the trip... we just hired an off-road Suzuki between 2 of us and went off roading for an hour. All for the bargain price of... 35euros per car!! Pics explain further!

After that I went back to the ring and did my last solid 2 hours of the week. My aim was to get myself and the car to do repeatable and decent quality 9:30s. I achieved a 9.21 of which i am very pleased.

That pretty much sums up the trip for me.
On Tuesday we left Edgar’s and had to say good bye to all our friends, both old and new. We got a collection for Edgar and a group picture as always thought, and even managed to have a little joke with him over how much we had collected. We hid a load of it under a cloth. The pictures should explain better...

And off we headed to Amsterdam for a short visit.

We all went in and had a few euros worth of peep show. What a letdown that was though!!

So there you have it.
Nurburgring Easter 2007 all over... roll on teh next one.

However, 2 things really brightened up my Easter trip this year, and neither was actually related to teh ring at all.

The first surprise was a good Customer of mine called Wim from Hollant called over to see me at the hotel, but i was extremely late ansd busy getting ready for the piston Klaus booking id made and didnt have time to give to him. (I didnt know who he was at teh time i must stress)

Anyway, Nicole got talking to him somehow and he had only delivered me a gift as a thank you for my services to him over teh years. How bad did i feel for not making teh extra 5 mins to talk to him. Sorry Wim. really.

My fabulous Gift.

I had to smile at the exclamations after teh size...

The second surprise was a great bottle of expensive Champagne from Tony NutsRus, again thanking me for something we had done businesswise.

Neither gift was necessary but your both gentlemen and i thank you from teh bottom of my heart for your thoughfullness and generosity. It was much appreciated and such appreciation makes me happy to go out of my way now and then to help people like yourselves out. It never goes unnoticed. thank you both.

Finally...
Thanks again to all who came and made it what it was. I hope you all enjoyed it as much as we did and i hope you are allready planning your next one. Drive safe everyone, and thanks again for a great great time.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:22 PM
Petrucci
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 12-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Greg Shepherd
Chasing Radders

Fantastic read stu

looks like a top weekend had

great pics
Old 12-04-2007, 09:29 PM
biscuittin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

looks like you had fun stu
glad the car was ok
Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 PM
glancy2081
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

good read sounded like a good trip
Old 12-04-2007, 09:32 PM
topaz
1K+ Super Poster!!

bah! missed the offroading, that looks cool !!!

something to do next time !!!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:33 PM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

Fantastic write up

Looks like a great trip was had by all
Old 12-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Awesome pic's & write up, glad you all had a good time
Old 12-04-2007, 09:37 PM
pau1rs
Advanced PassionFord User

nice write up, will have to make a trip like this one day.....
Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM
BRIGSPORT
UNAUTHORISED DEVELOPMENTS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quality write up stu. Now if you can remove the 70 mph limiter off my 07 transit,you will have your first member for the next ring trip.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 PM
rauri
up in smoke........

great read
Old 12-04-2007, 09:39 PM
Jade1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Looks like a top trip

Good review once again
Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default Re: Nurburgring Easter 2007. My story... (WARNING: 100s of p

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
best pic so far

if it don't com eout it's the one with the bike in the boat
Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 PM
Charlie Chalk
Unknown.

Awesome Stu

Im going...
Old 12-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Yamaha
Part of the Furniture

Excellent!! Great review Stu Looks really

At all those tasty cars!
Old 12-04-2007, 10:03 PM
UBster
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

always look forward to Stu's writeups
Old 12-04-2007, 10:05 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

great story stu

spookly on our visit to the ring last year we went to the dam for the day on the way back and I took a photo of exactly the same peep show!!
was also dissapointed at what we saw for a euro!!lol

same place!!!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Great write-up Stu - always enjoy reading about your road trips! Sounds like you need the 3-litre though....
Old 12-04-2007, 10:08 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Great write up as always
Old 12-04-2007, 10:09 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

Great write up mate.

Roll on the next trip.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:13 PM
dave cos4x4
Professional Waffler

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

some realy really nice cars there this weekend.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great write-up Stu

spot on i must go sometime

marco
Old 12-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll make it there one day
Old 12-04-2007, 10:24 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great thread stu, looks like you all had a good trip
Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I look foward to this every year
Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 PM
BILLY

Great read, great pics

Glad you all had fun. Would love to go there
Old 12-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Coldo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Superb review!

Seemed like a top weekend
Old 12-04-2007, 11:05 PM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

good write up Stu.......wish we had the time to have gone on this one but we'll be going september
Old 12-04-2007, 11:11 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Your pictures and write up are fantastic! I could sit hear reading about it all day the way you talk about it mate. Looked awesome.
Old 13-04-2007, 12:02 AM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Looks like another sucessful and wicked trip completed Nice pics too
Old 13-04-2007, 12:37 AM
Gatecrasher
Not welcome...

Nice Riteup i enjoyed reading it
Old 13-04-2007, 12:41 AM
Deano
PassionFord Post Whore!!

We drive through Rotterdam, Holland and Germany, finally arriving at Herschbroic Village around 1pm on Thursday and meet our hotelier Edgar. Its great to see him and fabulous to find he remembers many of our names. Nice touch.
That for me says it all , would get my business each and everytime
Old 13-04-2007, 05:26 AM
seveneigths

Good times

Thanks to all of you for a good time and will see you all soon i hope
Old 13-04-2007, 05:45 AM
RS500/364
BANNED
BANNED

OMG thought i got out of the pictures
grham looks stoned in the second one
Old 13-04-2007, 06:36 AM
RsDarren

Location: Dewsbury, The parts were they don't abduct their own children!

Quality write up Stu

Can't wait for next year now!!
Old 13-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Marc LJX

Good read thanks!

Old 13-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Sticky.
20K+ Super Poster.

Great write up & cracking pics with the new camera
Old 13-04-2007, 07:30 AM
Paul Eggleton
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good read Stu - I'll give you a ring later for a short catch up and if I can get the contact details of the hotel as it seems a good one.

PMSL at random offroading - never knew that was there
Old 13-04-2007, 07:49 AM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

Fantastic read as always Stu, thanks for taking the time to put that up.
Old 13-04-2007, 08:19 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Good read stu & some cool pics there

Quick Reply: Nurburgring Easter 2007. My story... (WARNING: 100s of pics)