General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Polish workers

Search this Thread

Old 28-03-2007, 09:56 AM
T28 RST
Ok then

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Polish workers

Are there any in your work

Since last summer there seems to be loads coming and going in my work(the agencys must love them), 2 are even full time now

One thing about them is they work like fook and dont give cheek(well not in English anyway)

Spoke to loads of people and there seems to be Polish workers in most works now

One of them said they were getting £35 a month over there(cant confirm the truth in it) no wonder there over here for the money
Old 28-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are loads at the airport where my dad works.

The way I see it is like this..

They work harder for longer because to them the money makes them rich, for the money they earn and the places they can afford to live they are much much better off than in poland.

However- it drives the price of labour down for people like my dad, my dad cannot and will not work for the sort of money they do because he is not polish and will not live in a bed sit or with 5 other blokes in 1 house.

I know its a very narrow sighted view as I am sure there are more polish and other migrants who have families etc.. but in my dads place of work thats how it is. They will work for pennys and live in hovels- because all though this is SHIT in the UK- its better than in Poland.

Interestingly he told me they took 14 polish guys on the other day- at the airport obviously there are more checks then you can shake a shitty stick at to get "air side" and lots of training due to the "air craft".
The induction takes 2 weeks- only 4 finished it the rest "disapeared".

Jake
Old 28-03-2007, 10:20 AM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Location: Sudbury Suffolk, Drives: Octavia VRS & XR2i 1800 Zetec track car
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got quite a few here now, I agree with Shings point that it is driving down the price of labour and most Brits can't afford to work for peanuts, also making unemployment within Britain rife as foreigners are taking our jobs - but on the flip side of the coin there are a hell of a lot of lazy fucker Brits who can't be arsed to work or put 100% into their job

Z
Old 28-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cabrio zo
We've got quite a few here now, I agree with Shings point that it is driving down the price of labour and most Brits can't afford to work for peanuts, also making unemployment within Britain rife as foreigners are taking our jobs - but on the flip side of the coin there are a hell of a lot of lazy fucker Brits who can't be arsed to work or put 100% into their job

Z

Funny you mention that as well.. one of my brothers is 22 and just getting to the age where he's getting a brain and a bit of common sense .. he's also getting quite good at his job in payroll at TSB and has done his qualifications.

He said he is suprised by the amount of people who have a job and cannot do it properly/dont know how to do it properly/cant be arsed to do it properly.

I said dont be suprised- this is quite normal... People in jobs who quite simply shouldn't be.

Scary sometimes...
Old 28-03-2007, 10:33 AM
twinkle_2k86
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

yep, we have 3 of them at our work, but christ dont they work, even work through their tea break etc. if the boss says, jump they say how high.

the only thing i find, is when you have to talk to them, they are very hard to understand, and for ever asking, What??
Old 28-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Carlsworth
Former Sponsor

They work harder for longer

exception to the rule....

we have probably 60% polish, and most of them are lazy miserable fuckers...

the others do work very hard though..
Old 28-03-2007, 11:01 AM
Cawood
PassionFord Post Whore!!

grumpy bastards - got a few living on my street

Trending Topics

Old 28-03-2007, 11:10 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

They like to fight in town at night
Well to be honest they prob dont, but they crap at english so when anyone has a go at them for something minor, they dont understand and it all kicks off

Everyones polish round our way, even 2 or 3 polish shops (ie just sell polish food and papers etc etc) now.

Jak się masz
Old 28-03-2007, 11:19 AM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Do I recall right that there is going to be a soley Polish branch of bank opening in Birmingham?

Z
Old 28-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Do I recall right that there is going to be a soley Polish branch of bank opening in Birmingham?

Z
Wont be solely Polish anyone can use it, but its like tons of foriegn banks in this country, people are used to the banks in their own country, so prefer to keep using em if they can, esp if they not great at the new language.

In Cyprus, Spain, Malta, etc etc there are "English" banks too for the same reason.

(Just thought id mention that before the PassionFord Nazi League start giving it all the ill-informed "how dare they come to our country and start their own banks, they should use ours or ideally just die" and so on like usual, as thats the way that post was sooo going )
Old 28-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Jonzy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

We employ around 1000 polish workers, tbh theyre polite and friendly and working fucking hard. Compare them to the irani's and iraqs who think they own the world and are total cunts.
Old 28-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Miss Fiesta Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Z
Old 28-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

If the polish can work and live in the UK on that wage, so can we.

They not taking anyones jobs apart from the people who are that stupid and lazy that someone who can barely speak english is STILL better than them.

Reminds me of that episode of southpark where the people from the future come to the past to get jobs.

They took our jobs!
Dey tuk our jerbs!
DEYTUKURJURRRBS!

Old 28-03-2007, 11:44 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

in all fairness, i dont have any problem with imigrants who come over here to work, especially at times when labour is low! however i do have a problem with the few that spoil it for most by doing nothing...

where i live there has also been a large ammount of polish and eastern european immigrants appearing, however there has been very little problems...

on the plus side, 'they' will do all the jobs people hate to do, and only do to make a bit of money...

Shings - your dad could see it as a way to get promoted or something, seeing as he would have more expierience... (just chucking ideas about)

people in the Uk seem to be the first to complain at any change, but the last to offer ideas...

just offering a different perspective...
Old 28-03-2007, 11:46 AM
smudgerz

We have loads where i work, maybe 60% polish. Some are ok some are proper gob shites.

As said above, when they first arrived they worked like fook. now, they are the same as everyone else. As for wages, they are on the same as me BUT pay no tax or national insurance for 2 years. They are also being treated better than the English contractors (me!)

My main problem with them is, as quoted by my manager "we wont take you on as a permy as we have a ready supply of workers for the foreseeable future" Get in.

I just see them as a short term solution for companys etc, but there will be big problems in the future......

Smudge
Old 28-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

i share steve's views, altho not quite so strongly.

if someone can do your job for less money, then is that their fault, or yours?

the unseen (by many) benefits of cheap labour mean that the economy benefits, which means you create more better paid, higher skilled jobs.

if you dont like your job being taken by a pole, get a better job.

if you dont have any skills and can't get a better job, well, you should have listened to the people that told you to stay in school
Old 28-03-2007, 11:53 AM
nilrem
STOP!... Carry on

Originally Posted by Jim Galbally
i share Steve's views, altho not quite so strongly.

if someone can do your job for less money, then is that their fault, or yours?

the unseen (by many) benefits of cheap labour mean that the economy benefits, which means you create more better paid, higher skilled jobs.

if you dont like your job being taken by a pole, get a better job.

if you dont have any skills and can't get a better job, well, you should have listened to the people that told you to stay in school
i agree
Old 28-03-2007, 12:04 PM
cabrio zo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The foreigners that are prepared to work are fine. The ones who come over and get council accommodation, benefits and NHS when its us that have paid into the government all these years are taking the piss

I probably could survive on less money, but for the lifestyle I enjoy need a decent salary. I have no idea with regard to Polish workers lifestyle here in the UK so cannot comment on them managing on minimum wage.

p.s. I only heard about bank second hand, it makes sense to have multi language speakers. Although when I telephone my bank they usually can't understand me!

Z
Old 28-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

I probably could survive on less money, but for the lifestyle I enjoy need a decent salary.
Thing is, thats just tough shit isnt it

The lifestyle id LIKE to enjoy id need money more like Donald Trump, but i dont, and its tough shit, i dont blame people who are better at it (and less lazy and stupid ) than me at the jobs that pay better for me not having their money, its not their fault im on shit money is it

Not many people in the world make all they money theyd like to, and nobodys to blame apart from possibly themselves.
Old 28-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the Bulgarians will be next.. rough old bunch they are

Plenty of polish about... fair play to them IMO.. Would you want to live in Poland and earn fook all, whjen you can get on the coach and earn loads more..

just look at our mod Eagle.. altho, he's an illegal I believe
Old 28-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

and I say the above.. as in "fair play to them" as we dont have 1 polish at my work.. so no chance of getting replaced with one
Old 28-03-2007, 12:13 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

There is one in my work on minn wage i asked him if he was enjoying the job (service washing customers cars) he loves it says the money is great...& he works loke fook the other lad thats doing the same job isnt happy he is showing him up
Old 28-03-2007, 12:15 PM
mark s
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Cawood
grumpy bastards - got a few living on my street
I could be one of them where do you live?
Old 28-03-2007, 12:21 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Stavros
If the polish can work and live in the UK on that wage, so can we.

Thats bollocks.... if we want to go back to living families in one room and several families in one house like it was at the end of the 1800's in slums then yes you go ahead and do that.

The key thing that many have missed is, an awful lot of the polish workers send most of their wages back to Poland, that is all money going out of our economy that will never come back, so although they are working for very low wages and paying very low amounts of tax and NI, which is a benefit to some employers, on the whole its not good for the economy in general.

It may seem good in the short term to get cheap labour... but in the longer term all we are doing is boosting the economy of Poland and other countries... when really we should be bolstering our own economy, supporting our own businesses

Once they have a local Polish shop, run by Poles, supplying cheap goods imported from Poland the Polish community are no longer spending money in our shops.....

So you have to ask what is really being contributed to multi cultural Britain... or are we just being milked like a cow for all we have to offer....
Old 28-03-2007, 12:24 PM
rand
Regular Contributor

I work for one of the largest construction companies in the world, and we employ companies that employ a hell of a lot of East Europeans, to be honest the only thing that annoys me is the lack of English some of them have until their wages are wrong!!

I have asked a few guys to leave my sites purely for the complete lack of English they speak, but this is now construed as rasist!! but now they can get round this by working with an English speaking guy.

I have met some very good tradesman, good enough to do stuff at my house!! and some right lazy gits who don't wanna do anything, but that can be said about anyone!
Old 28-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Other thing you got to think about is, if you could fuck off to another country and suddenly live a lot better like and make more case than you used to, would you?

Course you fucking would

Loadsa people move to Oz n stuff for similar reasons.

Id do the off in a second if there was somewhere worth going.

So its proper double standards to whine about something youd do if boot was on the other foot.
Old 28-03-2007, 12:30 PM
smudgerz

As Neilm said above, 90% of their money goes home. They spend fook all here, very basic food and maybe a crate of beer from asda and thats it. One of the polish is saving to build his own house when he gets home. Fair play to him but again, every penny goes home.

Its all going to go tits up in the future.
Old 28-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Miss Fiesta Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Agree with Stavros on the basis that if i could move somewhere better i would... but i wouldnt move to a country with a different language and not learn it myself
Old 28-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Westy
10K+ Poster!!

arent you an illegal from Greece or Cyprus Stav..
Old 28-03-2007, 12:31 PM
kitchy
RS2000 4x4

we have some poles at work and they are good, we have just got a load in to replace our old kitchen porters who were all found to have slight trouble producing national insurance numbers and the like
Old 28-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Miss Fiesta Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by smudgerz
As for wages, they are on the same as me BUT pay no tax or national insurance for 2 years.
Is this true?
Old 28-03-2007, 12:46 PM
neilm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Miss Fiesta Turbo
As for wages, they are on the same as me BUT pay no tax or national insurance for 2 years.
Is this true?
If they are working here on a visa and arent registered as living in the UK then yes I'm pretty sure it is.. because their home is in Poland.

But the visa is 2 years... which is why the place gets flooded out with fookin Aussies working in bars and earning the english pound for 2 years.. I wouldnt mind if we could go and do that over there for 2 years but we cant its only a year.

And as for moving to other countries... I'd go to Oz in a shot if my personal circumstances were different, but unless you've got a skill they need or a big wad of cash they dont want to know... 'Names Not Down You Aint Coming in'

Which is right... we should do that, bring something to the country, not try and find something for yourself once you are here.
Old 28-03-2007, 12:47 PM
smudgerz

Originally Posted by Miss Fiesta Turbo
Is this true?
Yes,its true. They are self employed. They have just changed agencies and have had letters from the tax man. proper shitting them selves as they are on £650 a week for over 18 months...... And if they get caught? Back off to poland.
Old 28-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Miss Fiesta Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by neilm

And as for moving to other countries... I'd go to Oz in a shot if my personal circumstances were different, but unless you've got a skill they need or a big wad of cash they dont want to know... 'Names Not Down You Aint Coming in'

Which is right... we should do that, bring something to the country, not try and find something for yourself once you are here.
Old 28-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Ian M500COS

I have just come from a Carwash in Gloucester where I paid 3 Polish lads £10 to valet my car inside and out at their little Petrol Station forecourt enterprise!

They worked for 35 minutes cleaning my E46 Beemer which was absolutely hanging - covered in shit, mud, bird crap and inside was bits of kebab from September and mud and god knows what! A right tip!! It would have cost me a tenner in jetwash tokens alone!!

They must be insane to do it for that much! I mean 3 quid each for cleaning a car that was fucking minging? They must be insane!!

I just stood there grinning at the idiots! Top job as well!
Old 28-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Originally Posted by Westy
arent you an illegal from Greece or Cyprus Stav..
Que? I no speak english
Old 28-03-2007, 01:07 PM
scottbrown
Advanced PassionFord User

I heard the funnyist thing in a long time the other day...

our place has loads of polish blokes working there, most of them are ok, and intigrate with the british lads...

but I was pmsl when I heard 2 of the polish blokes moaning that the bulgarians were gonna come over here and work for less nicking their jobs
Old 28-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Ian M500COS

I know its slightly off topic but on our local news last night was a feature on the new Chinese MG - basically the same car - a tarted up Rover 75 - looked quite pretty actually.

Except........ that the Chinese workers were happy being paid £5 a DAY!!!!!
Old 28-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This is a very controversial subject for people like myself.

Both my parents are polish, my mother born here . My Grandparents had wealthy estates in Poland at the time of the German invasion. They were between 16 and 20 at the time, and saw there Fathers marched off by the Germans never to be seen again. One grandfather managed to escape to England to join the air force, and the other became a soldier who fought on the southern front in Italy. He died last year aged 99 of a heart attack. He was quite healthy up until then, the only problem was pains in his leg where he was shot in the war.

My grandmothers endured harrowing journeys half way across the world, living in camps in Siberia in -40 degree winters, catching fish and selling them at the local Russian market. My grandmother gave birth to my father whilst on that journey in Palestine. Poland lost far more men women and children in the war than any other nation.

After the war, both sets of grandparents (my mothers side yet to meet) lived in refugee camps in Cheshire. They had no possessions or money, and so couldn't return to their obliterated country even if they wanted to. Poland got very little support from the allies financially - have you ever asks yourselves why Germany is richer than Britain when they lost the war?!

Over the years they got jobs working as many hours as possible, and somehow from nothing managed to buy a house and raise a family. My parents are well educated and live in a nice area in a nice house.

The point is my family fought very hard for this country, and managed to make something of themselves from nothing. With me being polish, people don't differentiate from my family and those that have just arrived purely to make money. However, you have to commend anyone who wishes to better themselves and takes action to do so. The reason the Polish work so hard is because they are generally more disciplined, particularly the youth, this is largely due to Poland's strongly catholic religion. You won't find people drinking on street corners in Poland, nor will you find people claiming benefit because they want to sit on their arse all day and have no intention of working.

Poland is not a particularly poor country - the problem is the wealth is very divided - you are either rich or poor. At the moment, the average wage is low, with goods being quite expensive. This is typical of a country recently released of communist rule, the economy is very unsettled.

I do think it is wrong that people can come here with no grasp of the English language, that makes things difficult for everyone.
Old 28-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Jim Galbally
20K+ Super Poster.

as for oney going out of the ecoomy in wages, whilst yes this is true, it's a very small ammounts compared to the extra overall revenue generated by the employers / businesses that are "exploiting" the cheap labour.

there really are more benefits than cons.

plus, our cars would all be dirty and we'd have to pay a fortune to have them washed BADLY by kids

Quick Reply: Polish workers