General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Oil rig workers any on here?

Search this Thread

Old 26-03-2007, 03:14 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can imagine that is can be pretty hard work at times,

I seriously looked into the commercial diving side of it because the money can be crazy but fuck it is also very dangerous at that depth and it does not take long to bugger your bones up,

Mike
Old 26-03-2007, 06:19 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Lam'p'chop (or anyone else) so just to summarise and clarify,

1. Anyone without oil rig/welding/mechanical etc skills can do these roustey or production side jobs?

2. There are opportunities to go up the ladder to the better jobs after time?

3. That link you posted with the 10 individual modules, doing them will get you the better jobs higher than those mentioned in 1. ^

4. Its usually 2 weeks on 2 off or 1 month off 1 on? What you go home when off?

5. Its 23-30k for those lesser jobs and can be a lot more for the better qualification/skill required ones?

6. The various medical and survival courses have to be done first before doing the basic jobs listed in .1 or before the extra certificates can be used to get offsure?

7. Additional question, how long roughly would each module take to study and complete the exam and how long for all of them? Its not something like 3-4 years is it like a degree course?

I have good qualifications but nothing that would be of any use with offsure work, so appoligies if i've asked something that seems dumb to you. Cheers.
Old 27-03-2007, 12:15 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by skeg
Lam'p'chop (or anyone else) so just to summarise and clarify,

1. Anyone without oil rig/welding/mechanical etc skills can do these roustey or production side jobs?YES

2. There are opportunities to go up the ladder to the better jobs after time? Yes, no probs but your probably better off leaving after a few months and going to a "service" company

3. That link you posted with the 10 individual modules, doing them will get you the better jobs higher than those mentioned in 1. ^ not in that line of work so can't really speculate

4. Its usually 2 weeks on 2 off or 1 month off 1 on? What you go home when off? North sea, usually 2 and 2 , or 3 and 3, for drilling and operators, service company is ad-hoc, just however long the jobs last and then a crew change after 2 or 3 weeks if it drags on, and depends how busy the company is, u might get two weeks off, you might get more, you might only get 2 days. Or go and work in Norway, 2 on 3 off, then 2 on 4 off.
I work on an On call basis, 21 days on call and 10 days off, you get double rate in your 10 days, but you can say NO if you want, so it works both ways

5. Its 23-30k for those lesser jobs and can be a lot more for the better qualification/skill required ones? Yes

6. The various medical and survival courses have to be done first before doing the basic jobs listed in .1 or before the extra certificates can be used to get offsure? personally if you don't want to pay for it, i'd apply for some basic jobs, get them to pay for your medical and survival and then quit after 6 months, most places you might have to pay a % back if you just quit after they have pad for the medcal etc... but if you stay a wee while you'll be ok

7. Additional question, how long roughly would each module take to study and complete the exam and how long for all of them? Its not something like 3-4 years is it like a degree course? No idea, haven't done them

I have good qualifications but nothing that would be of any use with offsure work, so appoligies if i've asked something that seems dumb to you. Cheers.
Anything else just ask, i will try and help if i can.
Old 27-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

rog
What are you now, a north sea recruitment consultant????

Skag
1. Anyone without oil rig/welding/mechanical etc skills can do these roustey or production side jobs? ANYONE CAN ROUSTIE SPOSE ANYONE COULD DO PRODUCTION IF THEY GOT THEMSELVES THE RIGHT QUALIFICATIONS!

2. There are opportunities to go up the ladder to the better jobs after time? DEPENDS WHAT YOU START DOING BUT GENERALLY AYE!

3. That link you posted with the 10 individual modules, doing them will get you the better jobs higher than those mentioned in 1. ^ MILLION TIMES BETETR THAN ROUSTIE

4. Its usually 2 weeks on 2 off or 1 month off 1 on? What you go home when off? NORTH SEA IS 2WKS ON 2WKS OFF. ABROAD USUALLY 28DAYS 28 DAYS.

5. Its 23-30k for those lesser jobs and can be a lot more for the better qualification/skill required ones? YES.

6. The various medical and survival courses have to be done first before doing the basic jobs listed in .1 or before the extra certificates can be used to get offsure? YES YOU NEED OFFSHORE SURVIVAL/MEDICAL ETC

7. Additional question, how long roughly would each module take to study and complete the exam and how long for all of them? Its not something like 3-4 years is it like a degree course? ONE GUY ON MY RIG WAS A STEWARD SO DID HOUSEKEEPING/BEDS/GALLEY ETC ETC.CRAP JOB BUT GETS £25K. ANYWAY HE STUDIED THESE COURSES ON TIME OFF OVER 10MONTHS I THINK. I RECKON IF YOU GOT STUCK IN IT COULD BE DONE FAR QUICKER. DEPENDS ON MOTOVATION AND MONEY TO PAY FOR COURSES
Old 27-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

What does a Roustie do then?
Old 27-03-2007, 02:29 PM
rstoughy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Porkie
Basically just a general labourer around the rig.
Old 27-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by Porkie
If you're that bothered read the whole post

Hint, Page 2

And why do you fancy a better job?

Matt J

Any college or the like mate
Old 27-03-2007, 09:19 PM
skeg
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Rog and Lamb,
Old 27-03-2007, 10:31 PM
stookay
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by turbo terry
lambchop you seem to know your stuff, really intersted in working off shore, i'm a mig welder and fabricator, what exams do you need to sit?

also a diver, any money in underwater welding or just diving on the rigs?

what is the compnay subsea7? i'll search in a sec

Chris
to make what is considered to be good money in diving/welding you'd need to get a " mixed gas ticket " to allow you to go into satuaration .ie 28 days under working pressure in chamber and diving bell breathing heliox. however to get to that stage you first need to gain experience at depths up to 50 m on air , mig welding not really required as the real money gained from welding in a hyperbaric chamber. mainly orbital tig welding of pipeline tie ins. air range training course approx 6k then you have to achieve a " bottom time" at depth to qualify. for mixed gas training approx cost 5k.and finally if you managed to get a place on a saturation team ( which is incredibly hard ), you can earn reasonable money although your working life as a diver is shorter than average career
best regards stookay
Old 10-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Darren1593
Zetec-S

i did the weeks course in aberdeen the BOSIET and MIST course and a 6 month mechanical enginering course and no company will even look at me for any job ? i dunno what im doing wrong really wanted a job offshore but stoped applying after sending e-mails to at 50 places for jobs.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:46 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Darren1593
i did the weeks course in aberdeen the BOSIET and MIST course and a 6 month mechanical enginering course and no company will even look at me for any job ? i dunno what im doing wrong really wanted a job offshore but stoped applying after sending e-mails to at 50 places for jobs.
When was that ? Things have only really started to pick back up again in the North Sea this year.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:32 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

theres your first mistake, emails..............go to the office and hand in your cv to the HR manager. they will remember you then, niot with the 3000 other emails they got that day.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:52 PM
wattie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could try for a workshop job then go offshore, that's what I did worked repairing power units and power tongs and now work on the ocean guardian in the Falklands using and repairing the same equipment , I love it couldn't work in a workshop again , really good fun on the rigs
Old 12-06-2011, 01:44 AM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cant imagine you`d get much knowledge after 6 months,minimum would be a 2 year NVQ level 3 style course should really be a 4 year apprenticeship if you want to be considered at any sort of trade level.

Off shore game is tough to get into,and your talking to a Ford Trained multiskilled spark with 16 years experience in industrial control,hydraulics,pneumatics PLC etc.

I came up to Aberdeen looking to get offshore and it`s anything but easy,I`m sure you`ve read the thread and I think Lambchop and co. have said it pretty much as it is,especially if you look at the dates of the thread it`s been resurrected after a 4 year absence,there were probably people in that thread thinking their houses would now be worth 500 times what they paid for them which was how it seemed back then!!!!

Four years later were praying they don`t drop to 1/2 their value!!!!!

I went to a good agency recommended by a lovely lad on here called 155lee called Carlton RS and had a good chat with their top man Andy who put it in no uncertain terms that I wasn`t going offshore anytime soon,despite me being better qualified than a lot of offshore lads,just I have zero offshore experience.

It`s a catch 22 theres no doubt about that,can`t get offshore without experience,can`t get experience without going offshore?

One method he suggested was getting a job onshore with a company that supplies the offshore industry,be it as a storeman,production operative,forklift driver etc just to prove that you are reliable etc.
That way,when the company needs you to go offshore,as you have the relevant safety certs,your likely to be their first choice,hence your experience starts and you can then say you`ve done it.

I`ve just completed a high voltage switching course and met a few lads who are offshore and one told me the best way to get in now is to volunteer to go off to far flung places like Africa and Azerbijann etc as it`s not quite as cushty as in the north sea rigs,but more money and again,experience.

One boy I met also gave me a good idea of work that would certainly suit me,it`s onshore but working in the oil/gas terminal up at Orkney/Shetland. Similar pay and conditions to offshore but week about and 3 weeks off every 7 weeks,excellent pay £50 k plus basic for my line of work,food and accommodation paid even help towards your travel out there.

Deffo agree with the statement regarding going direct to their offices etc,their all dotted around Aberdeen,a good 9-5 day should see you get round all the important ones,Shell Tullos,BP Dyce PSN Wood group and so on,after all you don`t want to just throw your CV at the receptionist,try and actually talk to someone in HR so as said they remember you.

I haven`t tried offshore yet as Andy at Carlton got me a permanent job in Aberdeen and I`ll be sticking to it for at least a year as things aren`t going badly at all,pays not bad and the job`s really interesting,but I`ll certainly be getting all my safety quals,survival,compex etc which just makes me a touch more desireable to them,once I get them I`ll have near enough all the available electrical qualifications to me.

Good luck dude!!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:58 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hambim336
Hi

I read some opinions in this topic. I do not agree above ideal. We can find out some articles at about.com by using Google search.
Last thread Typed was 27-03-2007, 11:31 PM

google spiders or alike i suppose

But still a very interesting post

I ponder if work hours and pay has changed since the last offshore workers

posted on this thread
Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Originally Posted by avid-fan
Last thread Typed was 27-03-2007, 11:31 PM

google spiders or alike i suppose

But still a very interesting post

I ponder if work hours and pay has changed since the last offshore workers

posted on this thread

Work hours dont change as it's always 12 hour shifts.

In general I'm sure the pay is still good enough
Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 AM
rs_traynor
stage4 2wd cosworth

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

iv done my rgit and mist thinkin about doin a riggin course or a ropes course, dunno what i want to do offshore tho.

defo looking for a trainee job tho...

can anyone help ???
Old 12-06-2011, 09:50 AM
matthewsimone
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Money is obviously brilliant but as already said in an earlier post money isn't everything in life! I work for an engineering mechanical firm and quite a few of the guys in my workshop are older guys who worked away all over world doing various contracting work/jobs/trades earning ridicoulous money etc but majority of them are now divorced! just something to think about, I wouldn't be leaving my partner behind and working away for more than half of my life no matter how much money was on the table but thats just my oppinion, good luck with whatever you decide to do anyway mate
Old 13-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Darren1593
Zetec-S

Originally Posted by NEIL A
When was that ? Things have only really started to pick back up again in the North Sea this year.
was not even a year ago i did all the courses.
Old 13-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Darren1593
Zetec-S

Originally Posted by cutch
theres your first mistake, emails..............go to the office and hand in your cv to the HR manager. they will remember you then, niot with the 3000 other emails they got that day.
yeh i wold do that but i live in falkirk and the companys are all based in aberdeen which is a fair distance away.
Old 13-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Darren1593
Zetec-S

Originally Posted by vaughant
Cant imagine you`d get much knowledge after 6 months,minimum would be a 2 year NVQ level 3 style course should really be a 4 year apprenticeship if you want to be considered at any sort of trade level.

Off shore game is tough to get into,and your talking to a Ford Trained multiskilled spark with 16 years experience in industrial control,hydraulics,pneumatics PLC etc.

I came up to Aberdeen looking to get offshore and it`s anything but easy,I`m sure you`ve read the thread and I think Lambchop and co. have said it pretty much as it is,especially if you look at the dates of the thread it`s been resurrected after a 4 year absence,there were probably people in that thread thinking their houses would now be worth 500 times what they paid for them which was how it seemed back then!!!!

Four years later were praying they don`t drop to 1/2 their value!!!!!

I went to a good agency recommended by a lovely lad on here called 155lee called Carlton RS and had a good chat with their top man Andy who put it in no uncertain terms that I wasn`t going offshore anytime soon,despite me being better qualified than a lot of offshore lads,just I have zero offshore experience.

It`s a catch 22 theres no doubt about that,can`t get offshore without experience,can`t get experience without going offshore?

One method he suggested was getting a job onshore with a company that supplies the offshore industry,be it as a storeman,production operative,forklift driver etc just to prove that you are reliable etc.
That way,when the company needs you to go offshore,as you have the relevant safety certs,your likely to be their first choice,hence your experience starts and you can then say you`ve done it.

I`ve just completed a high voltage switching course and met a few lads who are offshore and one told me the best way to get in now is to volunteer to go off to far flung places like Africa and Azerbijann etc as it`s not quite as cushty as in the north sea rigs,but more money and again,experience.

One boy I met also gave me a good idea of work that would certainly suit me,it`s onshore but working in the oil/gas terminal up at Orkney/Shetland. Similar pay and conditions to offshore but week about and 3 weeks off every 7 weeks,excellent pay £50 k plus basic for my line of work,food and accommodation paid even help towards your travel out there.

Deffo agree with the statement regarding going direct to their offices etc,their all dotted around Aberdeen,a good 9-5 day should see you get round all the important ones,Shell Tullos,BP Dyce PSN Wood group and so on,after all you don`t want to just throw your CV at the receptionist,try and actually talk to someone in HR so as said they remember you.

I haven`t tried offshore yet as Andy at Carlton got me a permanent job in Aberdeen and I`ll be sticking to it for at least a year as things aren`t going badly at all,pays not bad and the job`s really interesting,but I`ll certainly be getting all my safety quals,survival,compex etc which just makes me a touch more desireable to them,once I get them I`ll have near enough all the available electrical qualifications to me.

Good luck dude!!!!
i have a NVQ Level 3 which took me four years to do aswell, worked in the Ineos plant in grangemouth aswell but i have no luck.
Old 13-06-2011, 03:08 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

yeh i wold do that but i live in falkirk and the companys are all based in aberdeen which is a fair distance away.
You got a bird?? .....I'm not macking onto you, but if you do, then why don't you make a weekend trip of it.

Prepare a list of places/people to see, spend the whole Friday going round with your CV and then spend the evening with your lass, do something Saturday through the day and then come back down the road on Sunday.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 13-06-2011, 03:30 PM
vaughant
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i have a NVQ Level 3 which took me four years to do aswell, worked in the Ineos plant in grangemouth aswell but i have no luck.
Fair play dude,if your struggling then I think it just shows how tough a game it is to get into really.
Like anything else,keep plugging away but I`d suggest a day trip to Aberdeen could well be on the cards,you never know,someone may have phoned in that day with a broken leg etc and you could be the guy to replace him?
Right place right time,my CV sat on file for 2 months in Carlton,yet after I went there and introduced myself within 2 weeks I had an interview and the job was mine,was I any better qualified?Maybe,but doubt it,I lived 600 miles away so that didnt help,so I can only assume it was my meeting with Andy that got me in there.