General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

tvr cerbera any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 02:05 PM
fordsportjay
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tvr cerbera any good?

been offered a p reg 4.2 model in a deal today but know nothing about them at all.are they any good and what is it worth-green with cream leather and 50k miles.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Dan Cossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

pics??? and how much do they go for actually??
Old 08-03-2007, 02:32 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

my friend has a chimaera (softtop version)

great fun with the V8 rumble, and good (if a little sideways) handling

such a sexy car though

gotta get used to bits falling off though

Old 08-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

chimaera is a totally different car to a cerbera mate.. it has the old rover based v8.

cerbera is all TVR parts... there were lots of problems with the early ones (i think esp. the 4.2's but i'm not sure) they don't go for massive money and i'd urge caution, although i must admit I'm seriously considering getting one as i miss my old chimaera. reliability is more of an issue on the cerberas afaik but I still think they're superb cars.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM
CosKev3
PassionFord Post Troll

First one my bruv in law bought ended up looking like this:

He owned it for 1 day,brought it around to let me take it out and I brought it back like that

As above early 4.2's have a weak point in the casting of cranks apparently

Bruv in law bought a real nice one after he got insurance money off first 1,that had 15 grand spent on it over 2 years,re-upholstered leather,new cams(£850 a pair )27k miles on the clock,owned it for 4 days and the crank snapped
Taking with it a couple of rods,cracked the block,snapped cam

Had it re-built at Austec,bored out to 4.5 all new bearings etc and re-mapped ECU,6 grand!!!!!!

TVR breakers were asking 4 grand for used lumps,plus wanted his old lump in exchange

The build quality/wiring is shocking to say the least
Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they look soo sexy on your drive,,,,,,, but they should have been fitted with a cosworth badge,,, they are that unreliable
Old 08-03-2007, 04:49 PM
Doh
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

here we go with the TVR bashing again

do some research on pistonheads mate, there not as unreliable as people thing if properly used and maintained. Cerbera gives supercar performance and can't be run on mondeo money

prices are rock bottom at the minute due to the issues with the factory i.e. there isn't one
Old 08-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

hey nobody has slagged em off,,,,, the cerbera is just dirty sex,,,, it really is

though driving one is like marrige i got told,,,,,, just rows, arguments,stress and then a quick bit of makeup sex between em so you dont stray the nest
Old 08-03-2007, 06:14 PM
CosKev3
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Doh

do some research on pistonheads mate, there not as unreliable as people thing if properly used and maintained. Cerbera gives supercar performance and can't be run on mondeo money

prices are rock bottom at the minute due to the issues with the factory i.e. there isn't one
You've owned 1/know some1 that has had 1???????

Pretty sure you will find there is more posts regarding shit build quality/unrealibility/bits falling off/breaking down on Pistonheads than there is positive posts
Old 08-03-2007, 06:20 PM
sedan man
PassionFord Regular

i dont know jack about em all i know is if 1 comes behind/infront of me at the lights i turn my radio off and just listen to that noise..what a noise!!its worth it for that alone imo
Old 08-03-2007, 06:46 PM
-J-
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Dont know about them but a mate had a Tuscan s from new and killed 3 engines under warranty!
Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 PM
daz1968

A mate of mine has one, has had a lot of trouble in 3 years of ownership, 2 clutches at about a grand a piece, also quite a lot of engine trouble, he tells me he had spent 5k a year on it in repairs, and it don't do many miles, and when he took me out in it I wasn't that impressed. It has put me off ever having one, but he did tell me the cars with the rover based engine are a lot more reliable and cheaper to maintain if that helps.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Mark_w
Advanced PassionFord User

If it has full history and is maintained up to date then go for it... the engine was tvr's own and based on a f1 engine which has a flat plane crank,hence the great sound...performance wise,the 4.2 is around 4.3 secs 0-60 ... 12.3 secs 1/4 mile and around 9 secs 0-100 which puts it up there with the best

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boH0B7Dn3xc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_Cerbera

regards mark
Old 08-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a good freind of mine had a 4.5 for about 18 months, his words, " it spent more time with tvr than it did with me ". saying that, it could have just been a bad car, doesnt make them all bad. but another thing my freind said, when it ran rite, it was unreal.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:57 PM
COMEDY DAN
No1 Blower.

You all mock it, and most own fords, with new engines, boxes, diffs, looms, turbos, resprays, suspension, brakes.......etc etc....
Old 08-03-2007, 09:29 PM
andyescos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Doh

Exactly, I love em but love the R33 too. Someone once told me to treat a
Cerbera like a child, throw money at it and wait for the tantrums! Made me giggle.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

Proper.

Love all TVR's so much.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 PM
BILLY

My mates got a 4.5 and not had much trouble with it. It did cost about 20k with low miles and just had a service........£950

Old 09-03-2007, 02:20 AM
jammy86

*from the movie Beavis and Butthead Do America* BOOOOOOIIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

JAmes.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:32 AM
indycos
helooooo!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know that the tuscan leaks like a plumbers wet dream when left outside!

......but then again, what sort of a tosser buys a TVR and uses/leaves it out in the rain!!!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:42 AM
mark_24v_wiring

If you want to chat to some people who will give you good advice on a tvr then phone Tower View Race 02084526463/02084526922.
If there still running as been a while since i spoke to them did a cossie 24v loom for them a few years back into an old wedge shape they can tell you all you need to know as iirc they used to work at tvr had a cerbera there the day i was and to be honest if it was on looks and sound i was in love till i looked underneath and it felt like i was looking at a cheep kit car!
Old 09-03-2007, 06:45 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

i must add my friend has had no problems with his TVR since owning it

most of his money was spent on servicing, he had the full chassis cleaned and rustproofed. and a few other jobs.

other thena the indicator falling off, a bit of rough idling (dunno if he has cured this) and a few interior trim problems its been pretty good.

it sounds and goes really well considering its only supposed to be 250bhp
Old 09-03-2007, 06:53 AM
Markb_s1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

as far as the reliability goes, when I had mine (although adsmittedly it was the chimaera which are meant to be less flakey) I had virtually no issues with it at all... and that was my only car, used for runs to tescos etc etc.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Doh

Originally Posted by CosKev3
Originally Posted by Doh

Pretty sure you will find there is more posts regarding shit build quality/unrealibility/bits falling off/breaking down on Pistonheads than there is positive posts
err... yes i do thanks, do you?

obviously BB's paint a bad picture, its just like everything else.. something goes bad you tell 10 people and something goes good you tell 1
Old 09-03-2007, 01:13 PM
andyhardy

My brother-in-law had a Griffith 500, which had the Rover based V8 engine in it.

He took it on a trip to the south of France and was concerned as to why it was using as much oil as it was petrol.

Anyway, he got it back to England and took it to his local dealership (the car had only done very low mileage - this was quite a few years ago). They diagnosed the problem as being all the piston rings were knackered and I think something else (can't remember exactly). The total bill for fixing it was going to be a few grand so he decided to clean the exhaust pipes out of visible oil from the ends and took it to a dealership over 50 miles away and sold it to them at book price!

He then got an S2000 which he liked but found a bit boring after a while and now has a Boxter that I don't think he's going to part with!

I'm not sure now of the relevance of what I've said above, but I think it's got something to do with the TVR Rover V8 engines being a bit shit and expensive to fix!

Check the exhaust pipes when he brings it round again!

Andy
Old 09-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Mark_w

The cerbera hasnt got a rover based v8 though,which generally are very good anyway

regards mark
Old 09-03-2007, 03:36 PM
NEIL A
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My mate got rid of his M3 around a year ago and got one, had it for around 3 months then while cruising at 70 the crank snapped into 4 bits totaly destroying the engine. He has just had it rebuilt and got it back on the road 2 months ago, after fighting with his waranty company for months. In the end they did not pay out as they said it was caused by abuse, after doing some digging around he found there was a problem with the casting of the earlyer 4.2 cranks.Ended up costing him nearly 6K and now he is thinking of selling it as he has no trust in the car.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:54 PM
WD Pro

I knew two people that had them (cerb 4.5 and grif 500). Both were driven very (very) hard but maintened well. Non ever caused any probs

The 500 (had some race parts on) was up untill recently the quickest car I have been in

See loads at Lemans but never seen one coming home on a flatbed, cant say the same for cossies
Old 10-03-2007, 08:44 PM
CosKev3
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Doh
Originally Posted by CosKev3
Originally Posted by Doh

err... yes i do thanks, do you?

obviously BB's paint a bad picture, its just like everything else.. something goes bad you tell 10 people and something goes good you tell 1
Is that why your user name is Doh????

Look above and you will see the 1 I was driving that burst into flames and ended up burnt out
Old 10-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

I was thinking about buying a Sagaris but the only thing that stops me is the reliability factor.
Some of the things you hear about tvr's are shocking!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by COMEDY DAN
You all mock it, and most own fords, with new engines, boxes, diffs, looms, turbos, resprays, suspension, brakes.......etc etc....
I fail to see the point? Maintained cosworths don't have major reliability issues for a start.