General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

what insurance companys let you drive other cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:49 AM
benporter
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what insurance companys let you drive other cars?

what insurance companys let you drive other cars? as third party cover?

Thanx

Edited to say im 22
Old 03-03-2007, 06:51 AM
benporter

do swinton?
Old 03-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Gary F
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most do if your fully comp and over 25
Old 03-03-2007, 08:52 AM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeh most fully comp policies do
Old 03-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HIC do, i've had it on the Series 1 for a year now since i was 22!

You'll have to ask the individual company though Ben, it can vary from policy to policy and not all Comprehensive policies offer it mate
Old 03-03-2007, 09:00 AM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Most insurance companies are removing the entitlement for DOC. CIS, for example, removed it on all policies and only put it in the policy document and have not told customers. We have had a lot of people claiming for damage when driving another car, only to find out they are not insured. It is causing problems, believe you me.

More Than will cover other cars, although it may depend on age, Elephant will providing you are not related in ANY way to the motor trade. HIC will, although the excess is normally increased to cover their risk, along with sometimes quite a hike in policy premium.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:07 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by iansoutham
Most insurance companies are removing the entitlement for DOC. CIS, for example, removed it on all policies and only put it in the policy document and have not told customers. We have had a lot of people claiming for damage when driving another car, only to find out they are not insured. It is causing problems, believe you me.

More Than will cover other cars, although it may depend on age, Elephant will providing you are not related in ANY way to the motor trade. HIC will, although the excess is normally increased to cover their risk, along with sometimes quite a hike in policy premium.
Well I deal with 'most' Insurance Companies every day and have heard nothing of the sort?

I asked HIC to remove it and the premium didn't change on my policy

Plus, i'm SURE that a big company like CIS cannot retract certain cover's and then not notify anyone of it? I'm sure the FSA would have something to say about it don't you!?

Trending Topics

Old 03-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Glen1909
PassionFord Regular

I worked in insurance for a couple of years and every company I dealt with it was COMP over 25 only.

I am 21, 2 years bonus with HIC Herts on TPFT and I have driving other cars cover. Insurer is Chaucer.

I recommend HIC HERTS as well, best company I have ever been with. They listen to what you need and they do it, and nothing is too much trouble.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:05 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Originally Posted by Dan
Well I deal with 'most' Insurance Companies every day and have heard nothing of the sort?

I asked HIC to remove it and the premium didn't change on my policy

Plus, i'm SURE that a big company like CIS cannot retract certain cover's and then not notify anyone of it? I'm sure the FSA would have something to say about it don't you!?
Then they either gave the cover free or aren't stupid and kept the difference (never said it would be millions, did I?)

CIS are NOT retracting cover without telling anyone, it is in the revised statement which everyone SHOULD read @ renewal time, but NO-ONE ever does. I do emphasise that it is not retracted mid-policy, only @ renewal.

If you do deal with them all the time, ask your friendly motor engineer or rep, they will confirm it, my engineer that comes into my bodyshop 3 times a week has, and I've seen it in writing, too!!!! I have also had customers where claims have been thrown out because of it, causing no end of trouble.

On a separate note, dealing with "most" insurance companies, you will also be aware of the deal struck between Allianz Cornhill and a major national salvage agent, whereby any vehicle over 5 years old is to be fitted with "reclaimed" (read 2nd hand) parts where possible. Being trialled @ the moment, and to go national this year. Comments welcome!
Old 03-03-2007, 06:53 PM
Daveesaunders
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I'm with Adrian Flux and had to wait until I was 25 before they could add it on to my policy due to my Cossie being modified had it been standard they would have added it straight on when I was 23.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:08 AM
timrud
BANNED
BANNED

TBH the second hand car bits might be good, as it could save some older cars from been written off for fuck all.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:56 AM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm with Quinn-Direct and I'm 17 and they let me providing I've got an EU license?

How do i go about getting a full EU license??
Old 04-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Madbradz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Its the same as a full uk licence, I phoned and found out! as I wasnt sure.

also I got stoped in a mates car that I was told was insured.. It wasnt Copper took 1 look at *can drive other cars* and said on your way
Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 AM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Thats well good if they're the same
Old 04-03-2007, 11:39 AM
benporter

ive been told Quinn-Direct have stopped the drive other cars ?
Old 04-03-2007, 11:50 AM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Well I took out my policy with them last September, 17, No NCB TPF&T

The girl on the phone said I can drive other peoples cars 3rd party and it says so in my policy too (with this full EU license codswollop)

Ring and ask 'em mate

Now I'm 6 months through, does anyone know if you can phone them and just pay the rest of the policy off instead of monthly installments?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:49 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Originally Posted by timrud
TBH the second hand car bits might be good, as it could save some older cars from been written off for fuck all.
Not really, if you get a door for example, not in the right shade / colour, you have got to rub back, prep, prime and paint it, inside and out, strip the door first if necessary, check for rust internally (as you have to guarantee it), remove any dents, and make sure it fits well. If not, you have to return it (24-48 hour turnaround) and start again. All @ an average £35 per hour rate to the insurance company, or take a new door, scotch it back, paint and fit. The difference will be neglible to the insurance company, but time will be increased for bodyshop (who have to guarantee it for 3-5 years or however long the insurance company request).

Also, remember that the customer is expecting a NEW part in the 1st place, so it must be spot-on.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:50 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Originally Posted by timrud
Not really, if you get a door for example, not in the right shade / colour, you have got to rub back, prep, prime and paint it, inside and out, strip the door first if necessary, check for rust internally (as you have to guarantee it), remove any dents, and make sure it fits well. If not, you have to return it (24-48 hour turnaround) and start again. All @ an average £35 per hour rate to the insurance company, or take a new door, scotch it back, paint and fit. The difference will be neglible to the insurance company, but time will be increased for bodyshop (who have to guarantee it for 3-5 years or however long the insurance company request).

Also, remember that the customer is expecting a NEW part in the 1st place, so it must be spot-on.