General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

E-petition: email response from the Prime Minister!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21-02-2007 | 06:55 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Default E-petition: email response from the Prime Minister!!!!!

Well that didn't take long after the petition finished. Was exactly the waffle I expected

The e-petition asking the Prime Minister to "Scrap the planned vehicle tracking and road pricing policy" has now closed. This is a response from the Prime Minister, Tony Blair.

Thank you for taking the time to register your views about road pricing on the Downing Street website.

This petition was posted shortly before we published the Eddington Study, an independent review of Britain's transport network. This study set out long-term challenges and options for our transport network.

It made clear that congestion is a major problem to which there is no easy answer. One aspect of the study was highlighting how road pricing could provide a solution to these problems and that advances in technology put these plans within our reach. Of course it would be ten years or more before any national scheme was technologically, never mind politically, feasible.

That is the backdrop to this issue. As my response makes clear, this is not about imposing "stealth taxes" or introducing "Big Brother" surveillance. This is a complex subject, which cannot be resolved without a thorough investigation of all the options, combined with a full and frank debate about the choices we face at a local and national level. That's why I hope this detailed response will address your concerns and set out how we intend to take this issue forward. I see this email as the beginning, not the end of the debate, and the links below provide an opportunity for you to take it further.

But let me be clear straight away: we have not made any decision about national road pricing. Indeed we are simply not yet in a position to do so. We are, for now, working with some local authorities that are interested in establishing local schemes to help address local congestion problems. Pricing is not being forced on any area, but any schemes would teach us more about how road pricing would work and inform decisions on a national scheme. And funds raised from these local schemes will be used to improve transport in those areas.

One thing I suspect we can all agree is that congestion is bad. It's bad for business because it disrupts the delivery of goods and services. It affects people's quality of life. And it is bad for the environment. That is why tackling congestion is a key priority for any Government.

Congestion is predicted to increase by 25% by 2015. This is being driven by economic prosperity. There are 6 million more vehicles on the road now than in 1997, and predictions are that this trend will continue.

Part of the solution is to improve public transport, and to make the most of the existing road network. We have more than doubled investment since 1997, spending £2.5 billion this year on buses and over £4 billion on trains - helping to explain why more people are using them than for decades. And we're committed to sustaining this investment, with over £140 billion of investment planned between now and 2015. We're also putting a great deal of effort into improving traffic flows - for example, over 1000 Highways Agency Traffic Officers now help to keep motorway traffic moving.

But all the evidence shows that improving public transport and tackling traffic bottlenecks will not by themselves prevent congestion getting worse. So we have a difficult choice to make about how we tackle the expected increase in congestion. This is a challenge that all political leaders have to face up to, and not just in the UK. For example, road pricing schemes are already in operation in Italy, Norway and Singapore, and others, such as the Netherlands, are developing schemes. Towns and cities across the world are looking at road pricing as a means of addressing congestion.

One option would be to allow congestion to grow unchecked. Given the forecast growth in traffic, doing nothing would mean that journeys within and between cities would take longer, and be less reliable. I think that would be bad for businesses, individuals and the environment. And the costs on us all will be real - congestion could cost an extra £22 billion in wasted time in England by 2025, of which £10-12 billion would be the direct cost on businesses.

A second option would be to try to build our way out of congestion. We could, of course, add new lanes to our motorways, widen roads in our congested city centres, and build new routes across the countryside. Certainly in some places new capacity will be part of the story. That is why we are widening the M25, M1 and M62. But I think people agree that we cannot simply build more and more roads, particularly when the evidence suggests that traffic quickly grows to fill any new capacity.

Tackling congestion in this way would also be extremely costly, requiring substantial sums to be diverted from other services such as education and health, or increases in taxes. If I tell you that one mile of new motorway costs as much as £30m, you'll have an idea of the sums this approach would entail.

That is why I believe that at least we need to explore the contribution road pricing can make to tackling congestion. It would not be in anyone's interests, especially those of motorists, to slam the door shut on road pricing without exploring it further.

It has been calculated that a national scheme - as part of a wider package of measures - could cut congestion significantly through small changes in our overall travel patterns. But any technology used would have to give definite guarantees about privacy being protected - as it should be. Existing technologies, such as mobile phones and pay-as-you-drive insurance schemes, may well be able to play a role here, by ensuring that the Government doesn't hold information about where vehicles have been. But there may also be opportunities presented by developments in new technology. Just as new medical technology is changing the NHS, so there will be changes in the transport sector. Our aim is to relieve traffic jams, not create a "Big Brother" society.

I know many people's biggest worry about road pricing is that it will be a "stealth tax" on motorists. It won't. Road pricing is about tackling congestion.

Clearly if we decided to move towards a system of national road pricing, there could be a case for moving away from the current system of motoring taxation. This could mean that those who use their car less, or can travel at less congested times, in less congested areas, for example in rural areas, would benefit from lower motoring costs overall. Those who travel longer distances at peak times and in more congested areas would pay more. But those are decisions for the future. At this stage, when no firm decision has been taken as to whether we will move towards a national scheme, stories about possible costs are simply not credible, since they depend on so many variables yet to be investigated, never mind decided.

Before we take any decisions about a national pricing scheme, we know that we have to have a system that works. A system that respects our privacy as individuals. A system that is fair. I fully accept that we don't have all the answers yet. That is why we are not rushing headlong into a national road pricing scheme. Before we take any decisions there would be further consultations. The public will, of course, have their say, as will Parliament.

We want to continue this debate, so that we can build a consensus around the best way to reduce congestion, protect the environment and support our businesses. If you want to find out more, please visit the attached links to more detailed information, and which also give opportunities to engage in further debate.

Yours sincerely,

Tony Blair
Old 21-02-2007 | 10:02 AM
smitsturbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i got this in an email...im not realy into big word so i never read it

so are we getting these charges or what...yes or no
Old 21-02-2007 | 10:13 AM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

i got one of these too. no simple yes or no answer though is there
Old 21-02-2007 | 10:22 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It makes no sense he's saying you wont get charged as much f you can use rural roads, the reason people are in the city fucking cetres to start with is because they NEED to be there, so going for a jolly in the country aint going to get you a new outfit from the town is it
Old 21-02-2007 | 10:37 AM
Eagle
Super Moderator

they have had long enough to prepare such a long winded load of garbage ...

basically says we are glad you have lodged an opinion on it but we are going to trial it anyway and will eventually decide that although it will cost several million to impliment it we will proceed with it so we can track every car in the uk and no doubt use the data collected to eventually use gps data to prosecute you for speeding or any other road traffic offences we can .. also the gps data on your car can reveal where it is if need to be impounded or removed due to the lack of road tax payment etc etc ...

it will happen but when is the big word they won't tell you...
Old 21-02-2007 | 10:52 AM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

i deleted it without reading as it was in my junk mail, cant believe tony wrote to me
Old 21-02-2007 | 10:57 AM
sabres74
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Just the usual crap that is sent out to placate the masses.

Trending Topics

Old 21-02-2007 | 10:58 AM
Toymota
cossie_mikes biatch

sometimes i wish i could leave this country! the governement is a joke! perhaps if they had looked at doing something sooner instead of farting about in iraq, we wouldnt have this stupid thing

it makes me so angry! the money that we work our assess off to earn is no longer our own!
Old 21-02-2007 | 11:05 AM
andyhardy
Advanced PassionFord User

I read this e-mail when it arrived in my inbox at midnight last night.

I gave it all a read - I do actually like the fact that the e-mail was sent to all who signed the petition.

However, I notice that he only listed 3 ways of tackling congestion:

1) Road pricing

2) Road building

3) Do nothing

However I think this is where the petition idea falls short of what it could do. There are lots of ideas that could solve this problem - one of them mentioned on here last week about removing road tax and just increasing the fuel duty sounded a really good one to me.

They also fail to mention that alot of people on the roads at peak times aren't there for the fun of it - they are compelled to because of work/business. You cannot go to work in a high street bank from 11 to 7pm because of traffic - the bank closes at 4.30/5 o'clock! Therefore the honus should also be on businesses to implement more flexible working hours. As well as that they could also do a lot by removing the need of going into work for those who can just as easily work from home - we have the technology, it's just a case of using it!

Originally Posted by The PM
I know many people's biggest worry about road pricing is that it will be a "stealth tax" on motorists. It won't. Road pricing is about tackling congestion.
Hmmm, he says 'it won't' so I believe him. Just like the way they promised not to increase taxes when he was voted in...
Old 21-02-2007 | 11:23 AM
Miss Fiesta Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The bloke talks utter crap... I got half way through and gave up!
Old 21-02-2007 | 11:41 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

lol i love this place, people moan etc then are to lasy to read the response or want to leave the country Leave the country then, you will soon find out it is not any better else where. Dont read the information then you a clearly to lasy to care about imo. Oh and Iraq change to fookin record is this the ONLY thing you know about?

Frustrates me honestly

Anyway, back to this...... im very sceptical of it all.... im worried that unlike what they say it will be another tax, and they will not take trax of fuel but only remove road tax.. This is because they will easily get the money back and more imo where they cannot cope without fuel duty.

I agree however that congestions does need sorted! But imo i would only be happy paying extra when there is a viable alternative. Have you seen the state of the trains, let alone the rip of prices Pricing people out of there cars to pay for over priced 70's trains is not an option. Out public transport should be VERY competitivly price (like rest of Europe) and moderd/effiecent and intergrated system. ONLY then i would consider leaving my car at home.
Old 21-02-2007 | 06:53 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Slime O gram from Tony B liar

I got this email from a mate today

Chaps,

Did you receive a slimy reply to the "Scrap the planned vehicle tracking and road pricing policy" petition, if so how have you removed it from your computer?

I am concerned that my computer could have become infected with a case of 'Tony Blair' and will start lying to me.

I have already caught it falsifying documents and planning to invade my neighbour’s garden. Plus I am not sure what that Ugly Scottish thing it has installed next to it is but, it keeps taking all my cash!

If you have any ideas please let me know,

Mark
Old 21-02-2007 | 07:18 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Basically if you read between the lines it says:

Dear Voter,

Thank you for taking time to sign the petition against road charging. Your objection has been noted and will of course be completely ignored. We shall now spend a few months bleating on about the environment and try to put a spin on it in an attempt to get the green brigade and the mindless numpties on board.

Fear not as despite living in a democracy we will do as we like regardless of what the public feels and will make a fortune whilst doing it.

Your smarmily

Tone

Well that's my thoughts on the response anyway
Old 21-02-2007 | 07:23 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

I like the way 'trials' of road pricing will be implemented by Local Authorities. Once again Central Government will use this as a get out of jail free card by blaming the LA's for implementing it and not the fact that it has been a Central Government directive

As somebody has already mentioned he has only give 3 options that are available to cut congestion but everyone knows that there are more ways to tackle the problem.

I work for a Local Authority and I can't see them changing their office hours so that people can avoid being charged.

If businesses do change their working practices to accommodate the new road pricing it will just move the congestion to later on in the day. The rush hour will no longer be from 8am - 9am it will just shift to suit the new charging structure.

It's going to happen no matter who is in power as they have all said that they would implement the scheme. They won't listen to the voters and they will just steam roller it in like everything else.
Old 21-02-2007 | 07:28 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

eddited so I don't get into trouble at work
Old 21-02-2007 | 08:23 PM
andyhardy
Advanced PassionFord User

I noticed it in PMQs today that David Cameron decided to attack Blair on Iraq and the pension shortfall and not this.

I'm guessing that's because the Conservatives don't want to lose the support they've gained by their outreach to greenys?

Andy
Old 21-02-2007 | 08:29 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Eagle
they have had long enough to prepare such a long winded load of garbage ...

basically says we are glad you have lodged an opinion on it but we are going to trial it anyway and will eventually decide that although it will cost several million to impliment it we will proceed with it so we can track every car in the uk and no doubt use the data collected to eventually use gps data to prosecute you for speeding or any other road traffic offences we can .. also the gps data on your car can reveal where it is if need to be impounded or removed due to the lack of road tax payment etc etc ...

it will happen but when is the big word they won't tell you...
I bet they won't track it when it's been stolen though
Old 21-02-2007 | 08:34 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

we will have to riot like we did against the POLL TAX

all goverments are w@nkers
Old 22-02-2007 | 07:42 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

a simple increase in fuel duty will do nothing to ease congestion though will it?

think about it - if you do 5 miles a day in a city centre that is congested and takes you 2 hours, you would pay less than someone who lives out in the sticks and makes a 20 mile / 30 minute journey. how is that going to ease congestion?

i completely agree that something needs to be done about congestion, but don't know what. i did not sign the petition as i do not have a concrete argument against some plan of that nature.

in my opinion the way to solve congestion is to encourage businesses to move away from the areas of worst congestion to other areas of the country where there is high unemployment. you may argue that this could spoil other areas of rural britain though.

either way it's not easy. i am prepared to do my bit against congestion by riding on 2 wheels
Old 22-02-2007 | 09:05 AM
COSSIE 1
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

if this happens then it will cost me a fortune i work 7pm-7am in enfield 107 miles away i leave home at 4.30pm and hit the traffic near the m25,and hit it all again at 7am when i finish now i do this because im not paying £250k for a ex council shitbox in an absolute shithole full of eastern europeans ..and i want to liv in a nicer cheaper area...the reason theres so much congestion is A. people work 9-5 and people are sat in traffic because they have to and theres no other way because the public transport is utter shite and costs a fucking fortune and B. the 250,000 fucking polish/latvian/lithuanians etc that come over here in there audi's because the goverment decided we needed the fuckers here.....IM FUCKING FURIOUS ....CNUTS
Old 22-02-2007 | 09:18 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

What really fucks me off, is that it is THEIR fault in the first place, yet they're trying to punish us TWICE .

IF they had spent all the money raised by road taxing and fuel duty on the transport infrastructure in the first place, then we wouldn't be in this situation NOW. However, the fact remains, that they chose over the last 30 years to use the majority of this money raised for OTHER things and so wonder why the transport infrastructure is at bursting point? They have known this would happen for YEARS, but still only a small percentage of taxing the motorist has been allocated on improving the roads / public transport.

We now have a system so poor, that they feel they have no choice but to do this?

And they quote stupid figures about how this will improve things, yet their OWN statistics prove otherwise . For example, the London congestion charging improved things by 30% in the early days, but now this is back to only 8%! So it is obviously JUST another way of taxing the motorist without actually doing anything to IMPROVE the infrastructure and the money raised will be spent elsewhere, just as it is at the moment, as it makes NO real worth-while improvements in congestion in the long term . I fucking hate this government .

I really hope the people will revolt in a BIGGER way than the poll tax .
Old 22-02-2007 | 10:01 AM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I do hope none of the ranters on this thread voted Labour in the last election
Old 22-02-2007 | 10:56 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Dave Ridge why? just because you may have voted for a party, doesn't mean that you have to agree with all of their policies does it?
Old 22-02-2007 | 11:23 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

to be fair, labour are a bunch of lying two faced useless promise all deliver nothing CUNTS.

The country has been struck down by political correctness and a general lack of common sense, and a lot of it is due to a weak government letting european laws rule us, when no other EU country takes a blind bit of notice ( think France...)

Since Labour came to power, I can list 2 good things they have done

1) the northern Ireland peace process
2) Economy is good

However, they have fucked up and lied about and generally made a abortion of....

The NHS (yes the tories killed it, but they have had plenty of time)

Crime levels are a fucking joke- remember the tough on crime tough on the causes of crime bollox???

Iraq/ Afghanistan, not got a clue what they are doing, and they have fucked ALL of the armed forces a treat, sending troops in with no kit, sending aircraft in with no defensive aids ( I work in the RAF so I am very very pissed off about this particular subject)

Stealth taxed us all to absolute fuck

Wasted billions on stupid projects, ie millenium dome etc...

Immegration is a farce, and makes the crime problem look like a sunday walk in the park......

All in all they have done a pretty good job of fucking the country up even more than it was after the conservatives got booted out

And the road pricing is just another load of bollocks to punish the average joe ........

so you could say I won't be voting Labour next chance I get ahem
Old 22-02-2007 | 11:44 AM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

Although its against the law, when it comes into action.

How many of you will honestly pay for one?

IMO Mr. Blair will have more to confront if/when he releases this idea on the public. If its one thing the English are good for, a stiff upper lip, then I hope we can prevail against one man and his FUCKING STUPID ideas.
Old 22-02-2007 | 11:49 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

damn, where's Lee Harvey Oswold when you need him?
Old 22-02-2007 | 01:23 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

are they not bringing in a new sales tax on your primary residence too.
born free taxed to death lol
Old 22-02-2007 | 04:18 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Why dont they spend £60 billion on subsidising a decent 24 hr rail network with set pricing in zones, provide new cleaner buses with ipod connections etc to encourage us to get on, there could be like say 2 bus marshalls per bus to ensure safety etc...like they had in Australia over Xmas, the last train from my town at night is 11pm, how can i go out and enjoy myself without another option to drive ? idiots.