General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Trackers is it worth getting one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Sideways_Sierra
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackers is it worth getting one?

As we all know blue ovals are getting rarer due to tea leaves out there picking them off

is it worth getting a tracker in your cossie?

does anyone have one in theirs?

if so, what make/how much.

I'm seriously thinking about it myself. Although all the car only really has a set of wheels and a few speakers, bar that its a standard cossie. But, like others, if it had tons of wedge spent under the bonnet, I would be a bit more concerned.

obviously a good alarm etc and location of it parked up is a good contributor, but they'll go to more lengths to get them these days.

or if any traders/suppliers are reading this, they could contribute, maybe a PF discount scheme ?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:06 PM
Terry Tibbs
PassionFord Post Troll

Government will make you buy one soon mate, so don't worry for now

In all seriousness. Yes, although your car will be a beaten up mess, you will be able to find it. Or the tracker sitting in a gutter atleast.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Would you really want your car back after some cunty bollocks has raped the fuck out of it?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

They always put the trackers in the same places so i wouldnt bother as tea leaves know where they are...... and their battery packs!
Old 12-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Shings
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ollie6RS2
They always put the trackers in the same places so i wouldnt bother as tea leaves know where they are...... and their battery packs!
Ollie is more or less correct.

THere are only so many places on cars you can hide things like trackers, car handsfree kits, alarms and so on.

And they're all pretty obvious places- with the likes of a sierra which is a million years old now all those places are quite commonly known.

Also they are battery powered so will only be of any use while they're in the car and still charged up.

THe other problem with trackers is that just because you have one and your car goes it doesn't mean the police HAVE to find it- its dependant on whether the police have a car with the system on it available/on duty and its not doing something else like catching rapists or muggers.

In my opinion the best option and the one I would have, having worked with them and seen them work is a telematics system. Like BOX telematics.

Its a tracker that you can use from home and track the location of your vehicle yourself from the comfort of your pc chair.
If your car went missing you retrieve it yourself- but thats another story.
They also have loads and loads of other cool features rather than just location of the vehicle- mileage and speed being 2 of them.

There are draw backs though- 1 being cost.. about the same to install as a normal tracker but they have a fixed cost of around Ł1 a day.

There are others out there that do similar- Diva know of a company I think.

Hope this helps.

Jake
PS- Agreed if your car went would you want it back
Old 12-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Tangodeltasierra3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sometimes u gotta have one - id rather have a steering wheel that comes off.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:57 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't trust the things personally. Have been sitting in a friends' Cossie @ the local KFC, goes in to get some food, left gf in the car. Came back, and got asked if we'd been playing with the alarm, as there had been a beep from the back of the car. Less than 5 minutes later, mate got a phone call from Tracker. Confirmed his security details and got told:

Tracker: "Do you know where your car is Sir?"
Mate: "Yes, I'm sitting in it. Why?"
Tracker: "We are currently showing it as being stolen."

He had the DD cancelled shortly after and ripped it out.

Bearing in mind, he lives in SE London / Kent and the car used to stay @ home during the working week as he worked in NW London. Imagine getting a phone call @ 2pm asking where your car was as it was apparently stolen. You'd do your nut!!!
Old 12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
lukeytheduke
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Hi mate, i can sort you out a nice tracker which is 100% live not like these rubbish security trackers.

You can also use it for high speed runs

Pm me with more details

Cheers

Luke
Old 12-02-2007, 04:59 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

we use a system at work where we can track all the vehicles 247, gives you all sorts of stuff like speed, harshness of braking, idle time, ignition on/off, lat and long, number of satelites tracking, time of last contact, reg number etc etc
they also have a battery back up so that if the vehicle moves, or even if it doesn't, the tracker still kicks in every few hours when it's parked up

it's a bit box of kit though and the ariel needs sticking on the screen but it's helped recover at least 3 vehciles that have been stolen from our depot in the past 18 months
once the inital cost of fitting is paid out, the other costs such as the upkeep of the data and all the computery stuff is all done in house with the only other costs being the Ł7 a month to keep the sim in the box active

i'm currenlty trying to work it so that someone will fit one to the car for a few quid, but it'll be a shock for a few people when they see one of our "vans" doing 150mph+

or we can asign names to them too, one is called eric and one is call paddy

but back ot the topic in question, yes, they are invauable in recovering your motor, even if it's a write off at least you'll get the satisfacton of some spotty like oik not making money out of selling the bits from it
Old 12-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Sideways_Sierra
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

cheers your your input guys.

yeah that comment about would you want it back, I would but I would probly break it, if not already done so.

Just that satisfaction/less of a gut wrenching feeling, if you got it back.