General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Virgin.NTL/Telewest Broadband

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:14 PM
diesel2000
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Virgin.NTL/Telewest Broadband

Ive just got the basic package in yesterday with a cable modem and it absolutely pisses on BT Broadband.

Hugely fast, very impressed and cheaper too!!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 PM
rssteve
Advanced PassionFord User

how much does that cost you.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only ever used blueyonder cant fault them
Old 10-02-2007, 08:24 PM
diesel2000

Ł17.99 a Month plus Ł11 for Talk Weekends which gives me free weekend phone calls.

Go to www.virginmedia.com as they have some deals on connection speeds upto 10MB.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:26 PM
diesel2000

Originally Posted by diesel2000
Ł17.99 a Month plus Ł11 for Talk Weekends which gives me free weekend phone calls.

Go to www.virginmedia.com as they have some deals on connection speeds upto 10MB.
Sorry, Ł14.99 month for BB.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait till you need to contact them or they take the wrong ammounts direct debit, or you cant understand a fooking word because they are in downtown GOA
Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 PM
bigbobby

Originally Posted by danneth
only ever used blueyonder cant fault them

Trending Topics

Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Jasesapphy
wait till you need to contact them or they take the wrong ammounts direct debit, or you cant understand a fooking word because they are in downtown GOA
Never hppened to me yet.

Wait till later in the year when the speed gets changed.

Heard rumours of a 5/10/20 and a 10/15/20/50mb service.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:36 PM
diesel2000

Not anymore mate, I phoned them yesterday as they have changed to Virgin and I had a question about my phone. They are in Scotland I think (almost as bad!!)
Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Not anymore mate, I phoned them yesterday as they have changed to Virgin and I had a question about my phone. They are in Scotland I think (almost as bad!!)
They do have CS sites in India. Believe me.

Swansea as well as Glasgow.... dont know which is worse
Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 PM
sm
Advanced PassionFord User

just had it installed today got the 3 for Ł30 package (tv, net and phone) the broadband seems to be slower than my old bt one, had to call the helpline as the dozy engineer gave me the wrong bb pin number they were very helpfull and all was sorted in 5 mins
Old 10-02-2007, 08:42 PM
diesel2000

Originally Posted by sm
just had it installed today got the 3 for Ł30 package (tv, net and phone) the broadband seems to be slower than my old bt one, had to call the helpline as the dozy engineer gave me the wrong bb pin number they were very helpfull and all was sorted in 5 mins
I can obviously only speak from personal experience but I had a nightmare with BT. My connection would regularly drop 3 - 4 times a day and they couldnt sort it out. Eventually the realised that I was too far from the exchange for the speed they were trying to give me and it was causing the problem.

Took them 6 months to sort it out and cost me 2 modems through kicking the shit out of them.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Jasesapphy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im on 10 meg broadband must say very good though
Old 10-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I am curious to see if I can still get broadband without a phone service.... I was planning to go with NTL when I move, as they offered broadband without the need of a phone service (don't want a cable phone or a BT one - I just use the free calls on my mobile) but can't see anything on Virgin's new site to say you do or don't need to take a phone line....
Old 10-02-2007, 08:52 PM
diesel2000

Originally Posted by Thrush
I am curious to see if I can still get broadband without a phone service.... I was planning to go with NTL when I move, as they offered broadband without the need of a phone service (don't want a cable phone or a BT one - I just use the free calls on my mobile) but can't see anything on Virgin's new site to say you do or don't need to take a phone line....
Depends on the area mate. If you can get the cable modem then you dont have to subscribe to the phone service. I accidently ordered the Broadband alone and had to ammend it. Go to the website and put ur postcode in.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I know the house I am moving to already has a cable broadband line installed (previous owner had NTL broadband) and according to reg checker I can get cable... But it doesn't say on Virgins new site if you have to take a phone service or not.....
Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 PM
diesel2000

Originally Posted by Thrush
I know the house I am moving to already has a cable broadband line installed (previous owner had NTL broadband) and according to reg checker I can get cable... But it doesn't say on Virgins new site if you have to take a phone service or not.....
No you dont mate.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Frogford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I have been with ntl for about 6 years. Virgin have taken over and already cut my bil by Ł37 a month ! I have been put onto a VIP pack at Ł85pm, my usual bils were Ł120+ a month. With the new package I have also been upgraded to 10mb broadband aswell

Surely being taken over by the Branson empire can only be a good thing. He tried and failed to take over itv a while back, and I think virgintaking over ntl:telewest will make no end of difference.

Just hurry up and give me all the HD channels. I have a fantastic Virgin HD box with only 1 channel (although I can record upto 3 channels at the same time unlike sky+'s inferiour 2 channels ! )
Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Didn't know that the V+ boxes had triple tuners? First I have heard of this!

I also thought that Branson buying could be a good thing - but I am already hearing adverts on the radio for VirginMedia and mentions of "Fair usage policy" for broadband - whats the point of getting an upcapped broadband line only to be hit with "fair usage" bollox?

NTL never had that
Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Frogford

broadband is still uncapped and isadvertised as so on virginmedias website.

the V+ boxes (which were tvdrives under ntl) ARE triple tuners although I am somewhat mistaken (makes a change ) you can record 2 different programs whilst watching a third channel. I believe sky+ is only record 1 whilst watching another
Old 10-02-2007, 09:27 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Sky+ is record two different channels and watch a recording, or record one and watch another - much like most Freeview PVR's....

I don't think V+ (TVDrive) are triple tuners. They are twins, but with a twist. Like the Topfield and Humax Freeview PVR's, you can record two channels and wathca third, but only if two of the channels are on the same multiplex. Multiplex's are groups of channels transmitted together. For example, E4 and More4 are on the same multiplex as ITV2 and ITV3. So you could record E4 and ITV2, and watch BBC1, as you are recording from one multiplex, and watching from another multiplex.....

could be wrong tho - but thats how I have read and understood it so far
Old 10-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Frogford

that sounds about right thrushy.

But I wish virgin would hurry up and sort out the HD content ! BBCHD is fantastic but I really want the sports and movie channels.

Since virgin took over my VOD has worked and a few of the movies are in HD and have been free ! So far I've had Pirates of the carabiean(sp?) 2 and Da vinci code free in HD
Old 10-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I was in the Sony shop the other day oggling the HD trailers playing from a Sky HD box - National Geographic HD and DiscoveryHD were fooking GORGEOUS! I hate football, but even I stood transfixed whilst some overpaid posers ran about a field after a piece of leather, the PQ was so good!!!!

But I don't have a HD TV, and don't intend on getting any "pay for" TV serives so no HD for me
Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Frogford

I bought a 37" Toshiba LCD in october and the picture in 'normal' tv is fantastic, the picture in HD just blows you away !

Invest in a new tv and HD mate it really is awesome
Old 10-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frogford
I have been with ntl for about 6 years. Virgin have taken over and already cut my bil by Ł37 a month ! I have been put onto a VIP pack at Ł85pm, my usual bils were Ł120+ a month. With the new package I have also been upgraded to 10mb broadband aswell

Surely being taken over by the Branson empire can only be a good thing. He tried and failed to take over itv a while back, and I think virgintaking over ntl:telewest will make no end of difference.

Just hurry up and give me all the HD channels. I have a fantastic Virgin HD box with only 1 channel (although I can record upto 3 channels at the same time unlike sky+'s inferiour 2 channels ! )
Virgin haven't actually taken over NTL:Telewest. Richard Branson does own a very significant amount of shares but it isn't a takeover. There are going to be lots of changes to the company now that it's under the Virgin logo
Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 PM
diesel2000

Originally Posted by paulpalmer

Well thats not what the engineer in his new Virgin overalls told me on Thursday. He said there had been a launch party in the yard before the days work started.

Virgin haven't actually taken over NTL:Telewest. Richard Branson does own a very significant amount of shares but it isn't a takeover.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There were launch parties all over the place on Thursday which was the launch day for the new brand.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:45 PM
diesel2000

Well thats not what the engineer in his new Virgin overalls told me on Thursday. He said there had been a launch party in the yard before the days work started.

Virgin haven't actually taken over NTL:Telewest. Richard Branson does own a very significant amount of shares but it isn't a takeover.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I bought a 37" Toshiba LCD in october and the picture in 'normal' tv is fantastic, the picture in HD just blows you away !

Invest in a new tv and HD mate it really is awesome
Bought myself the best CRT ever made last year - the Toshiba "picture frame" 36" CRT. Original retail a couple years ago was near Ł2k! Course I never paid that - I paid Ł250 for a second hand 18 month old set

But thats for a couple reasons;

1) for the money I could spend (max, about Ł500, if that) there isn't an LCD or plamsa on the market that gives as good a picture as a good CRT TV

2) Black levels, refresh rate, motion blur, colour bleed, "jaggies" - all terms associated with LCD TV's, and all terms NEVER associated with CRT's

3) The only true justification for an LCD TV would be for HD content. And I simply will not have any "pay for" tv serives! I already have to pay the TV liscence, fuck adding on money for channels I will probably not watch! That and I can't afford it anyway (moving out soon buying own house/paying own bills etc)

So thats why I haven't got an LCD or SkyHD etc
Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It's a consoldation of NTL & Telewest who merged last year with Virgin mobile. They are all coming together now under the new Virgin Media logo to offer more coverage. It's a company rebrand for NTL:Telewest with changes to make it meet the Virgin image
Old 10-02-2007, 10:11 PM
Adrian
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Knew I had to call someone this week.

V+ was available from the 8th Feb in my area. Better get on the blower Monday!!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:24 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

has virgin bought out telewest/ntl ?

marco
Old 10-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by marco polo
has virgin bought out telewest/ntl ?

marco
No. Richard Branson owns shares in NTL:Telewest and NTL:Telewest use the Virgin brand.

There are other changes but that's the basics.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:41 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i never knew that and i use to work for telewest

marco
Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I didn't know you worked for them either I've been there nearly 10 years now
Old 10-02-2007, 10:46 PM
diesel2000

It was quite funny when a mid twenties lad knocked on my door Thursday and proudly announced 'Virgin To Fit Your Broadband!!' Its the small things that make me laugh!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

It was quite funny when a mid twenties lad knocked on my door Thursday and proudly announced 'Virgin To Fit Your Broadband!!' Its the small things that make me laugh!
Lol
Old 10-02-2007, 11:09 PM
diesel2000

Lol
Probably didnt help when he saw Razzle on my coffee table.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I am so glad I don't meet customers