General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Insurance - Anyone work for an insurer or know much about it

Search this Thread

Old 30-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Miss Fiesta Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance - Anyone work for an insurer or know much about it

Basically.... a woman drifted into my lane on a roundabout back in september, bashed into the side of my car. I reported it, she ignored her insurers and didnt report it until december

Anyway to cut a long story short her insurance have asked me to settle on a 50/50 basis as it will be hard for me to take her to court as i only have 2 witnesses which were in my car.

Which means they will give me 50% of the cost of repair.

What i need to know is how do they determine how much they will give me a cheque for?

I sent them 3 quotes.... all around £600 + parts, paint and materials.... so how do they know how much the work is actually going to cost?!

Any help/ advice will be much appreciated!
Old 30-01-2007, 11:16 AM
AndyBrew
Advanced PassionFord User

when some kind delivery man drove into the front of my car, I was in the same position, no witnesses and he basically said that I was on the wrong side of the road due to me driving around a parked car. Even though I had witnesses to state that there were no parked cars in the street my brief suggested I accept the 50/50 as I was 3rd party only at the time. I had the repairs done to my car as I needed the car for work and the insurance paid out 50% of the costs, plus compensation for me when they never turned up at court for the first hearing

the people to ask though would be your own insurers I'm sure they will know the score
Old 30-01-2007, 01:14 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

TBH, if she was definitely in the wrong and you know you are right, I'd fight it. I hate it when insurers try and pull this. You pay the money so that when you have a non faulter, you are covered.

If they are offering 50/50 something is up. Why did she not report it for a couple of months, that looks odd to begin with.

Cheers

Matt
Old 30-01-2007, 01:31 PM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

have you told your insurance??

they should fight for you to get 100% of the cost of the repair, and as stated above it will count as a non fault claim which wont affect your insurance as much

a 50/50 claim will affect it more when it comes to renewal time.

if you have already decided and settled on the 50/50 i would assume 3 quotes would be enough to get a cheque for repairs.
Old 30-01-2007, 01:49 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

the insurance comapny won't want the hassle so unless you've got legal cover (which is still a bit crap) i'd bell the incurance company and ask for their head honcho to sort it out
tell them it's her fault and see what happens, it can't get any worse can it
Old 30-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Miss Fiesta Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

they are fighting for a 100% liability but the problem i have it unless she backs down i'm not going to win it, they said that because the only witnesses were in my car the insurance wont take it to court.

so it will just keep battling on for months and months with the only option of accepting 50/50....

the trouble is the quotes i sent off were £570 plus parts, paint and materials, so how will they work out the complete cost to give me half?!

i have legal cover, so i have a legal team dealing with it now, but they said roundabout claims barely ever get sorted and usually end up in 50/50!
Old 30-01-2007, 05:48 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

there is only one word for it

revenge

see what they say about 50/50 and if it means that she will pay for her costs and you wil pay for yours, this is nomrlay the way it all works out so you'll be stuffed when it comes to renewal time

the other option is that she is insured by the same underwriter and then you are doubly screwed
Old 30-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Miss Fiesta Turbo
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no the 50/50 means they will pay 50% of my costs and my insurance will pay 50% of her costs.... i just wanted to know how they work out the 50% as the quotes i gave were only a labour figure plus parts etc! So they didnt have an actual cost so i dont see how they can work out how much to send me in a cheque!
Old 30-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Andy_R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you insured fully comp?

If so the 50/50 or "knock for knock" relates to the liability placed upon each Insurance company. If you are Insured fully comp. your claim will be settled in full funded partialy by your insurer & partialy by the other partys insurer.

It is not a case of you only getting half the value of the claim.
Old 30-01-2007, 09:09 PM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 86 Likes on 81 Posts

Until the repairs are complete nobody knows the exact cost of the parts, the insurance co. are agreeing to and will pay half of the FINAL bill at the time the repairs are complete.