General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Emigrating to Australia.......is it worth it???

Search this Thread

Old 24-08-2004, 05:38 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not fed up in going rene,im still 100% going and will 100% get in
just got a bit fed up with the paper work,you have to get in touch with old bosses and all sorts.i like to do stuff myself not have to ask and rely on others
im a decorater by day and stud muffin by night
Old 24-08-2004, 05:40 PM
Rene
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i know what u mean about not wanting to rely on others mate

glad i got a few years to sort everything and become a plumber/gas fitter
Old 24-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lee

where did I say "hate" in my post

We had a mate who was a bricklayer and he found that the work regime is completely different, you do all your own labouring and due to the heat he could never meet the outputs he could in the UK.

All I am doing is giving first hand accurate information rather than through "rose tinted" glasses to would be movers as its a costly affair and I personally know many families who did not last, and lost a small fortune in the process- I also have family in Australia who have been there since the sixties and would never come back.

The key thing is never take any kids over between 12-16 as it causes major problems with there education at that age, try and go when they are younger as my sister coped far better than me as she was only 8 and I was 13.

Also as Pomme is short for "Prisoner of mother England" I soon stopped being called that as I am A Welshman and even my aussie mates put people in there place if they ever called me a pom
Old 24-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Popeye

bit of advice, no one does artexing in australia (or they didnt used to) I am pretty sure there is a small fortune to be made over there if someone cornered the market. Our aussie relatives were over recently and fell in love with the various patterns etc on the ceilings of the houses they visited.

If you make your first million doing this remember where to send my first class tickets
Old 24-08-2004, 06:00 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

dont think he meant it like that paul
i value you input dude,but from what i have seen and as far as im concerned i have nothing to lose,and imo its only gain for me
my kids are 6 and 9,so my oldest is only still gonna be 10 by the time we get there,before seniors,so should fit in hopefully
i surpose a lot is to do with area's as well paul i would have thought,places like sydney has loads of different nationatiles so i would have thought it would be easlier to fit in there,well i fit in anywhere lol
i take it you have dual passports dude
Old 24-08-2004, 06:05 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

fook dat paul .its bloody horrid
i have it a little sorted really,my brothers best mate is in the same game so im gonna be working with him for a few months to get to know how they do stuff out there. different paints and ways and so on.then im off on my own.it seems to be a lot easlier to have a little one man band firm out there.
Old 24-08-2004, 06:22 PM
The DIVA
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sounds good guys,but remember if you are gonna take your cossie they never had type approval in OZ so they`ll have to have something similar to an SVA over here,But more involved,and invlolves fitting of door bars and a multitude of other mods(can be costly)and there aint that much in the way of twisties....but you will be able to drive her flat out a lot(straight roads about 300 clicks long)....and one last thing,out of the worlds 10 most deadly species.........8 of em live in OZ!!!!!!!
But the place is mega and if you really want to make a go of it ,it`s still the land of oppurtunity........
Old 24-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Its very much a workers country mate, if you are prepared to do the graft you will earn very good money as the aussies prefer desk jobs thats why they are so desperate for trades. Highest proportion of self made millionaires in the world apparently

Lots of Italians in the decorating game in Aus and they do quality work.

Didnt say I like artex mate, but if theres money in it
Old 24-08-2004, 06:59 PM
POPEYE
FAIRY CAKE

www.immi.gov.au/
thats the offical site that tells you homo's you cant go .nah seroiusly take a look its a lot harder than most of you think it is to get out there.even if you think you meet the points you then click another link and that tells you you cant .takes a long time to read it fully and to understand whether you can defo go.

there work seems very basic out there from what i have seen so far paul
Old 24-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Andreas
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by popeye
well i fit in anywhere lol
You could work on Oxford Street in Sydney, im shure they would appreciate your stunt with compomotives and briefs.
Old 24-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K RS
Lee

where did I say "hate" in my post

We had a mate who was a bricklayer and he found that the work regime is completely different, you do all your own labouring and due to the heat he could never meet the outputs he could in the UK.

All I am doing is giving first hand accurate information rather than through "rose tinted" glasses to would be movers as its a costly affair and I personally know many families who did not last, and lost a small fortune in the process- I also have family in Australia who have been there since the sixties and would never come back.

The key thing is never take any kids over between 12-16 as it causes major problems with there education at that age, try and go when they are younger as my sister coped far better than me as she was only 8 and I was 13.

Also as Pomme is short for "Prisoner of mother England" I soon stopped being called that as I am A Welshman and even my aussie mates put people in there place if they ever called me a pom
Lol hate/dislike same thing

Paul, thing is mate, ive worked out there. Me and two friends went out there as a two and one gang. And we did fine. Oh and im sure with my uncle being a Master builder for 20 years here, then anohter 25 years out there he has told me enough i need to know on how it works out there! No way am i wearing Rose tinted glasses. I have been out there and lived/worked and been and holidayd. IMO to ME it is no holiday place.....spain etc is for that. Oz has always felt like a 2nd home to me.

Of course your advice is appreciated
Old 24-08-2004, 08:13 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by popeye
when they say that though lee is from the gayboys and there trying to bum you
TRY? when did they have to try?
Old 24-08-2004, 10:14 PM
saff_cossie
PassionFord Post Troll

I emigrated about 2 months ago after 3 years of backwards and forwards and love it here. My cossie should be here next week as well making it even better!

Anything you need to know, ask away or drop us a PM. End of winter day today and its 23 degrees and I am in Melbourne where it is more like the UK weather. You basically have the same climates in one country that you do for the whole of Europe i.e Heat, Snow, Comfortable temp etc.

It is worth it if you can hack being away from family. You always make new friends but family is the key as I have none here.

Life is too short to waste thinking about things too much and at the end of the day its only 19hours flight here and 22 back.
Old 25-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Well dont that man