General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone had ther eyes lasered ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had ther eyes lasered ?

Ok been thinking about having this done My prescription is very mild and had enough of glasses (plus im 30 this year and having a mid life crisis and need to look younger

I have sent off for info from a couple of places but has anyone had this done and if so by who? reports feedback dangers prices etc

Thanks
Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 AM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bro-in-law had his done a few years ago, his prescription was for jam jars, seriously. Doesn't wear specs at all now, siad it has regressed ever so slightly but still doesn't need any. Was a bit sore for a few days etc but nothing major. Had them done in Leeds somewhere, can find out if you like.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:30 AM
dangerous - reyland
Advanced PassionFord User

i know a couple of people who have had it done M8
& recon its the biz

there is a chance you have to have it done a couple of times to get the focus correct

My optitian has always desuaded me from it as the long term effect is not yet known
His bro in law is one of the leading men in this field

Would rather wear contat lenses than go blind personally
Old 08-06-2006, 09:31 AM
Jemma
Dan's Ass Kicker

Yeah id rather use contacts, wouldnt want to risk someone lasering my eyes.
I know the guys are fully trained but you only get one set of eyes
Old 08-06-2006, 09:34 AM
sabres74
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

My dad had this done couple of months ago. Slight discomfort for a few days but 100% successful, it is a routine operation.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:39 AM
maxest
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My Dad, sister and brothers girlfriend have had it done

My sister and bro's g/f don't need glasses at all- and their eye sight was bad!

My dad needs them for reading, but his sight has improved massively!

He got the appointments of eBay of all places, apparently they put the un-filled time slots on there! Price between Ł900-Ł1100
Old 08-06-2006, 09:46 AM
Lou Lou.
10K+ Poster!!

Racey on here had hers done im sure she will come on and tell you about it but i know she was very happy with it

Even tho i would be tempted to get it done myself i just wouldnt want to run that risk am just gonna get contacts instead

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2006, 10:02 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

My brother had it done, and he couldn't be happier.

He hated the grief of glasses, and there's NO way you'd get him putting contacts in his eye!

I'll grab the name of the people who did it for him - someone at Moorfields I believe.....
Old 08-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Im considering it too, and will watch this topic with interest, but its worth noting for those of you whom dont know, monthly disposable contacts are only Ł20 per month now at some places.

I have worn them for a couple of years now and they are fantastic, really life changing. Put them in on teh 1st day of the month and take em out on teh last day... nothing in between, eat in em, sleep in em, everything except swim really. Incredible.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:11 AM
HaggisTurbo
PassionFord Regular

mates mum got them done at optical express over a year ago now and no complaints at all
Old 08-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Keep the info coming and thanks all

Im scared of putting in contacts Im also worried about loosing my sight which is holding me back abit

Rich that name would be much appriciated
Old 08-06-2006, 11:08 AM
cossiecrew
PassionFord Post Whore!!

a good mate of mine had it done cant remember how much exactly he went private and cost thousands of pounds but he says its the best thing hes ever done and has changed his life forever

myself on the other hand would never go for the operation myself i shit myself over a broken hand
Old 08-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

I had it done 18 months ago. I was short sighted(-3.75) in each eye. Wore contacts for 9 years.

Can only say everything went well for me. Had a sore head afterwards for abot 3 hours then i was fine and now i have better then 20/20 vision. 24 hours after the op my vision was higher than 20/20.

Op took 15 mins...thats for both eyes by the way not each!

Only downside is that you do get a glare off lights / streetlights / cars headlights etc afterwards but i am now fine. I know of quite a few people who have had this procedure done...all successfully.

Only thing i would say is its very hard to recommend to someone as there is a chance of losing your sight if it goes wrong.

Saying that i'd do it again if i ever need to...
Old 08-06-2006, 04:51 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My X girlfriend had it done, 2 yrs later her sight went back to how it was before
Old 08-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Phil (Katies bloke) explained how he had his done in London. was a quite detailed story which i followed quite well
Old 08-06-2006, 05:29 PM
EssexMikeSi
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i hate wearing glasses, and it really affects my confidence to to the point i would sooner go out for a night with mates and have real poor vision instead of havin to wear my glasses (thats my excuse wen i pull a pig lol), but yea, i would love to get my eyes lasered but without sounding like a pussy, im scared of what pain u might occur afterwards, and contacts, if i got the monthly ones, i'd be worried i would wake up in the mornin and the contact would have gone round the back of my eye or summit. can that happen?
Old 08-06-2006, 05:38 PM
James-W
PassionFord Post Whore!!

don't do it the long term effects are bad, the laser takes a layer off your eye, and eventually there is a chance you will go completely blind, i would stay well away if i were you

thanks, james
Old 08-06-2006, 05:49 PM
UBster
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Had mine done about 18 months ago now, was only a prescription of -1.50 in both eyes.

Had the treatment at optimax in birmingham, special deal at the time (buy 1 get 1 free) lol Was normally Ł1000 me and a friend from work sent so cost approx Ł500 each.. bargain.

Anyway this is my experience of laser surgery, hurt like fcuk to start with, even though I had the op at 6pm Monday Evening and went to work the next day, bit daft. Had to use drops for the next 3 months as when you have the cheaper of the 2 lasik treatments instead of them cutting you eye they scrape the surface off, this then scabs over and heals... and just like a scab if it drys and you catch it ie. you wake up in the morning and open your eyes.. you can lift the scab off .. Now that is painful!!

Eyes are almost 20/20 and im glad I had it done.

Mum had hear eyes lasered about 7 years ago when it was fairly new, her eyes arent 20/20 but she started with a prescription of -4.50 shes well chuffed she had it done.

The friend I went with has had an aweful time. basically hes had hazing and blurry vision for well over a year, hes been back for more treatment, been on eye steriods for nearly a year, had to have an implantable contact lense in one of his eyes now and has had more laser treatment last month in the other eye.... Seems to be nearly sorted now but he regrets having the surgery.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:22 PM
space hoppers

Originally Posted by jhw
don't do it the long term effects are bad, the laser takes a layer off your eye, and eventually there is a chance you will go completely blind, i would stay well away if i were you

thanks, james
wot a load of bollocks mate if that was the case i wouldnt have had it done they measure you eye thickness before hand and afterwards best 2 grand i ever spent and my job is a printer so had to be spot on which it is. my perscription before op was minus 5.75 in both eyes with a stigmatism now have 20 20 vision that was 2.5 years ago and that was with ultra lase. my only advise is dont go for the cheapest
Old 08-06-2006, 07:13 PM
Steve Escos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm booked in for mine on Wednesday with ultralase. Having both eyes done at the same time. Will come back on and post afterwards. If i can see the keys LOL.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I have thought about this a few times - been short sighted all my life. But I also worry about long term effects, and also scared of what might happen if it goes wrong.

Plus I can't afford it anyway
Old 08-06-2006, 08:19 PM
neilrev
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

my wife had it done three years ago, and although sore for about a week after she said best thing she's ever done and would do it again if needed