General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

World First - Variable Vane Turbo on production petrol car

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 07:56 PM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World First - Variable Vane Turbo on production petrol car

One the new 911 according to EVO mag.

Not a huge increase in power (about 5bhp irrc), but Torque is much better on a wider rev range.

Stu mentionned them in his Fast Ford article, suggesting it would be a while before they found their way in production petrol cars

I wonder if it's all mechanical, or, if there are electronics, etc... involved.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:02 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suspect it'd be all mechanical with just the usual sensers/boost control actuaters.

Be interesting to see how they get on, all though no doubt they've done alot of testng and have it working spot on.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Erm, like all the other shit these mags often come out with, they WRONG.

That award goes to the 1989 Chrysler/Dodge/Shelby CSX-Daytonas, Baron GTCs, and Shadows.

All used a 2.2 Turbo with a VNT T3.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the Pug T16 (Turbo'd version of the Mi16 engine) had a variable vane turbo on it - and that was out years ago as a production car?

Could be wrong
Old 07-06-2006, 08:10 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

prehaps the thread title should be changed to "World first - Variable Vane Turbo on production petrol car that isn't shit"

Old 07-06-2006, 08:13 PM
Big Will_
Borg Warner EFR Equipped!

Originally Posted by James
prehaps the thread title should be changed to "World first - Variable Vane Turbo on production petrol car that isn't shit"

Yup. That'd do it
Old 07-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

405 T16s are mint cars, as good if not better than a 4x4 Saff, jus mega rare so worth 15k instead of 1.5k

Should be called "1st car some company has managed to bullshit loads of people that its got a flashy new setup when it hasnt"

Trending Topics

Old 07-06-2006, 09:28 PM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Shelby/Chrysler ran a VNT25, not T3, but it had a very small comp side and no internal wastegate..

Pug T16 ran a VNT system, but was one single vane directing the exhaust flow directly at the turbine wheel, whereas the newer VNT systems are multivane.

I have a T28 sized VNT unit with a 59/43mm compressor side, 0.61 A/R housing, 54/45mm turbine in a 0.64 a/r housing, which is going on a Renault J7R Turbo engine fitted to one of my GTA's. Spec wise, the turbo should be good for around 280bhp, but with zero lag.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Default Re: World First - Variable Vane Turbo on production petrol c

Originally Posted by frog
One the new 911 according to EVO mag.

Not a huge increase in power (about 5bhp irrc), but Torque is much better on a wider rev range.

Stu mentionned them in his Fast Ford article, suggesting it would be a while before they found their way in production petrol cars

I wonder if it's all mechanical, or, if there are electronics, etc... involved.
The old car had 420bhp and the new one 476bhp, so your maths sucks .

The Pug 205 T16 Grp B car is the FIRST being made in 1985.... - so a for Stevie for a change, as my maths makes that 4 years previous to the Yank piece of shit . Although not strictly variable vane, it had a tongue controlled by a second actuator that varied the port size of the turbo, thus increasing gas speed when it reduced the port size, thus spinning the turbo up sooner. The turbo's were hellishly expensive and the complete item had to be replaced when the tongue failed.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:20 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

I recall i said i am confident they will be with us on production Fords very soon indeed... Because i know all about the currently available ones and we can be sure Ford and all teh others will follow suit very soon, as it IS the future of turbocharging if it can be proven reliable.

The Alternator/Turboharger hybrid is next.. cool technology that eliminates lag.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:54 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

STU so could vnt be bolted on to a cossie and boost all the way to the limiter or is this to much to ask would be better off with a gt seires rollerbearing?
Old 08-06-2006, 06:10 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by jaycos
Stu so could vnt be bolted on to a cossie and boost all the way to the limiter or is this to much to ask would be better off with a gt seires rollerbearing?
In principle yes, some of the newer one will work, but i dont know of anyone who has yet tried to do so.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:58 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
The old car had 420bhp and the new one 476bhp, so your maths sucks .
Mike, maths are ok, memory sucks, I didn't have magazine to hand when I posted
Old 08-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Mike, maths are ok, memory sucks,
Old 08-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Stu so could vnt be bolted on to a cossie and boost all the way to the limiter or is this to much to ask would be better off with a gt seires rollerbearing?
In principle yes, some of the newer one will work, but i dont know of anyone who has yet tried to do so.
mmm somthing to think about but would a turbo like this have a life of mabey to 3.30 this afternoon compared to a t34 ect or a gt series which are proven to be good turbos?
Old 08-06-2006, 07:24 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

A couple of pics of Holset VVT Turbochargers

and to think - I used to work with these everyday in my apprenticeship
Old 08-06-2006, 08:17 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

The biggest turbine size currently on the VNT series, is 54mm, so you have a limit of around 350bhp (depending on what compressor you run - and then you have the problems of massive surge) on this size turbo..

GT37VNTS are available from the States. You find them on Ebay for around $500. They are used on the Powerstroke Diesels, and have a 82/65mm compressor, and a 75mm turbine, with big non wastegated housings. The turbine housing inlet flange is non standard being a round V band type (so the manifold would need adapting), and the VNT mech is hydraulically controlled so the best option is a solonoid system run off standalone management.

This is a GT37V mounted to a 2.3 Ford Pinto SOHC. As you can see it is a big unit.. but a turbo good for 600bhp, that will spool up like a T3.

Old 08-06-2006, 08:17 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Right, what turbo make/model is in the porker, how much to buy one new, and where's the compressor map
Old 08-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Surely it is not a good idea to put a turbo designed for a diesel engine on a petrol version ?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:20 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Right, what turbo make/model is in the porker, how much to buy one new, and where's the compressor map
The turbo on the Porsche won't be large enough for what you want.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:21 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Surely it is not a good idea to put a turbo designed for a diesel engine on a petrol version ?
Why?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:24 AM
frog
0-60 in 17 seconds (eek)

Originally Posted by DaveAVT
Can you explain ?

330bhp with the pick up of a T34 .48 and top end grunt of a T34 .62 would be a good starting point for me, but I appreciate we're starting with a larger capacity flat six on the porsche against a 2L four on the cossie.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:25 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Can you explain ?

330bhp with the pick up of a T34 .48 and top end grunt of a T34 .62 would be a good starting point for me, but I appreciate we're starting with a larger capacity flat six on the porsche against a 2L four on the cossie.
Because the Porsche has TWO turbos.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:34 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

The car on this video is running a VNT28 like mine...

http://www.rtoc.org/library/fileroot...ZRWREDPGII.wmv

Its a 1.4 Renault 5 Turbo, running a Gordini cross flow head, VNT set at 22psi, and Autronic management..

It currently runs a 11.5 quarter with 120 terminals, and is currently leading the Northern hillclimb class in his series, Pro modified. His final trap time at Gurston Down is only under 2 seconds off the single seater Judd racers that also compete..
Old 08-06-2006, 08:49 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

330bhp with the pick up of a T34 .48 and top end grunt of a T34 .62 would be a good starting point for me,
BTW, your underestimating the VNT. You could have a turbo that flows like a T34, but spools up faster than a T2

On a 2.0 you can have full boost by 1800rpm, even positive (say 6psi) at idle just by stabbing the throttle..

The problem is, when running a VNT, you don't want to tune the engine for power, more for torque, this is why it suits inefficient 8v engines. On a modern, cammed 16v, you my incur alot of low down compressor surge, so you can't make the best advantage of bringing the VNT mech in early.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Because the reason that the VNTs have only just become available on a petrol car is because of the high EGTs that the petrol cars run. It is only recently with the advances in material technoloy that turbo manufacturers have been able to build a turbo to withstand the high temps associated with a petrol engine. So surely fitting the diesel versions is going to cause problems? Also aren't the vane angles different for diesel engines, because of the completely different power characteristics of the two engines?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Good video
Old 08-06-2006, 09:01 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Because the reason that the VNTs have only just become available on a petrol car is because of the high EGTs that the petrol cars run. It is only recently with the advances in material technoloy that turbo manufacturers have been able to build a turbo to withstand the high temps associated with a petrol engine. So surely fitting the diesel versions is going to cause problems? Also aren't the vane angles different for diesel engines, because of the completely different power characteristics of the two engines?
Well, thats not a product 'designed' for diesel, thats just the limitations of material, Im sure Garret did not design in low spec on purpose..

I have 'full' Garrett Parts access, ie every part number for every component used, and all of the 'diesel' VNTs share all their parts with petrol turbos, ie housings, shafts, turbines, bearings etc.. The only part that is different is the VNT turbine housing and vane system. For instance, a VNT25 is a straight T25 CHRA and comp and turbine, just sat in a VNT turbine housing..

The turbine housings are still Nickel Iron, and the VNT vanes are titanium. They cant really upspec these materials. Every one says that it will fail with high EGTS, - so what, the only part that can fail, is the VNT mech stops working, so it will just act like a normal turbo with a fixed A/R turbine housing. So you take the turbine housing apart, clean up the mech, or replace and off you go again.

As for the vane angles, this can be completly set up by you the user, so that is not a problem at all. By adjusting the pre-load on the VNT actuator, or bleeding the feed, you can adjust what point the VNT system activates and up to what load..
Old 08-06-2006, 09:03 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

You have to remember, the Renault 5 fraternity have been using VNTs for the last 2-3 years, and the only failures are normal bearing failures, simply because the turbo is under such more hard work than a normal turbo, as it is constanly boosting from the word go..
Old 08-06-2006, 09:05 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Old 08-06-2006, 09:07 AM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

Interesting stuff
Old 08-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Dave,
Thanks for taking the time to explain .
Old 08-06-2006, 09:14 AM
DaveEscos
BANNED
BANNED

sir!! sir!!!....

Whats a variable vane turbo?

???
Old 08-06-2006, 09:16 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

Big for AVT Dave

He knows shitloads more than we do about this, clearly

But yeah, there are HUGE VNT Turbos around, in the states you see VNT GT40s sold, etc etc.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:19 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

If you want a good off the shelf unit, designed for turbo, then this is a good option..

Turbo technics VNT, 60 trim T3 compressor in 0.42 T3 housing, T28 inlet flange on .64 a/r turbine housing, T28 turbine wheel, Cosworth style 3 bolt 2.75 exhaust outlet and internal wastegate. Good option for small turbo Esc Cos..

Over a grand Ł though..

Old 08-06-2006, 09:20 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

So rather typically we've gone from something new and high-tech and exclusive to Porsches latest cars to someone actually having done something similar on a shonky old SOHC Pinto on the floor of their American workshop.

Interested in this Alternator/Turbocharger hybrid Stu has mentioned, any more gen?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Anonymous
Banned

The turbine housings are still Nickel Iron, and the VNT vanes are titanium. They cant really upspec these materials. Every one says that it will fail with high EGTS, - so what, the only part that can fail, is the VNT mech stops working, so it will just act like a normal turbo with a fixed A/R turbine housing. So you take the turbine housing apart, clean up the mech, or replace and off you go again.
An issue for people building production cars who dont want to see them come back under warranty but not a problem to the average home tuner
Old 08-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Jaycos, one thing that no one has mentioned to you yet, is that if you were trying to nail one onto the side of the YB you would have some serious issues with trying to map it as you dont have an airflow meter.
MAP sensor based systems arent going to cope with the VNT units at all well.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:32 AM
DaveAVT
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Jaycos, one thing that no one has mentioned to you yet, is that if you were trying to nail one onto the side of the YB you would have some serious issues with trying to map it as you dont have an airflow meter.
No one mentioned it because its not really much of an issue, again, that R5 is running one on Autronic management.

Remember, you have ultimate control of the VNT mech, so you could do some mapping with the unit fully closed and fully opened just to get some base mapping down - treat it like a SC setup as you were...
Old 08-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Stavros
DEYTUKURJERBS

DaveAVT
Is this what i think it is?

A Gordini headed R5GTT?
Cooool

Originally Posted by chip-3door
So you think Autronic managed GT Turbos and stuff run AFMs? I dont..

Quick Reply: World First - Variable Vane Turbo on production petrol car