General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

coilovers or not???

Search this Thread

Old 19-04-2006, 12:08 PM
moonstone mike
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilovers or not???

Thought i would post this to get some more feed back!

I have a 3 door and i want to fit my coilovers i have for it but HEARED some storys to put me off ...ie to hard which is not a problem, but make s the car twitch, skip etc

so COILOVERS
KONI
BILLYS
OR ANYONE ELSE GOT A BETTER SET UP IDEA?
Old 19-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...you need to strenghten the rear turrets for coilovers..although the people of pf generally say you dont need to Ask pon about his car
Old 19-04-2006, 12:18 PM
moonstone mike

I have a rear strut brace fitted will that help???

also someone told me i got to hit in the inner rear wheel arch in a touch!!!!!!!!

sounds like im talking myself out of fitting them!!
I just want to see what they are like fitted....i have wanted them for ages but now in 2 minds

HELP
Old 19-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Mr 19"
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Hi! I have used my Bilstein coilovers for 9 years on my Sierra 4x4. I had guite hard setting on springs and dampers, but never any problems with the turrets collapsing or things like that. The problem with the springs touching the inner wing is right. I had to "massage" the inner wing a bit to get clearence. Now i don,t have these problems any more because i have changed to Proflex and they have a smaller diameter spring at the rear, and they are adjustable which i really looking forward to, to be able to adjust it for road use. Sorry for my bad Wnglish, I.m from Sweden! Johnny.
Old 19-04-2006, 04:44 PM
FLETCHGTI
Part of the Furniture

I got coilovers on mine, been a absolute pig from the start, has to much room to move in and makes funny noises every time ya turned a corner, however after spending another Ł750 on her for the brackets and securers, shes alot better , altho i would prefer the sports lowering non coilovers again!!!
Old 19-04-2006, 04:48 PM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Bosch-Man
...you need to strenghten the rear turrets for coilovers..although the people of pf generally say you dont need to Ask pon about his car
.. and?

The difference between you and me is I've owned a saff on coilovers, and then thrashed the shit out of it on track, on slicks etc, and given it more abuse than any road going car.

Yourself?

Since you always like to harp on about talking from experience, I'd imagine I'm perfectly qualified to comment in your eyes
Old 19-04-2006, 09:26 PM
moonstone mike

Im going off the idea of fitting my coilovers
so whats the next best set up???????
Old 19-04-2006, 09:34 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardPON
.. and?

The difference between you and me is I've owned a saff on coilovers, and then thrashed the shit out of it on track, on slicks etc, and given it more abuse than any road going car.

Yourself?

Since you always like to harp on about talking from experience, I'd imagine I'm perfectly qualified to comment in your eyes

ima cap in yo ass mo fo
Old 19-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pon your fooking car split!!!!...Coilovers caused that rear crack mate.
Old 19-04-2006, 10:09 PM
simonc
Advanced PassionFord User

I have coilovers on my 3dr cosworth as i found Koni's far too soft on the track, i have Gaz coilovers which are a great improvement for the track but i much prefered the ride of koni shocks & springs for the road, since fitting Gaz coilovers it wanders more follows the cracks/uneven bits on road but on track no such probs. I may need to have the camber or tracking adjusted though to suit the coilovers.

Simon.
Old 20-04-2006, 12:06 AM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

phil

i have had coilovers on my car for 12/13 yrs now different makes and the car has had loads of abuse over the years road and track

the rear turrets are fine to this day ,

if i was to use my car for rallying then they would be strenthend

I use a rear strut brace so i don't know if that helps the turrets or not

Marco
Old 20-04-2006, 09:05 AM
moonstone mike

Marco would you ever go back to koni or the such likes??
I only do track days once every 2 years maybe!
so road use all the time???
Old 20-04-2006, 09:35 AM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mike i use billies on my 3dr road car,road holding was transformed straight away,a lot more controlable,just have to try diffrent spring rates till you get something you are happy with,i run 300 ilb front and 180 ilb rear springs,with a rear strut brace

cheeRS stu
Old 20-04-2006, 09:42 AM
RichardPON
20K+ Super Poster.

Pon your fooking car split!!!!...Coilovers caused that rear crack mate.
What ARE you on about?
Old 20-04-2006, 06:43 PM
marco polo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by moonstone mike
Marco would you ever go back to koni or the such likes??
I only do track days once every 2 years maybe!
so road use all the time???
Hi Mike

to be honest never in a million yrs and the reasons why the racing bilsteins last for years

I have tryed alot of the normal coilovers over the yrs and nothing match the grp a bilsteins ( as in normal fast road set ups)

the reasons why i rate the grp a billys so much it's simple they last on the road and on the track the rest tend to bend leak fail when under a bit of stick they can't take the hammering over a piriod of time

with the grpa bilsteins you can send them off to have them revalve to what ever spec you like

eg tarmac billy on the front will start on bump and rebound speed 400/120 up to approx 550/250

a tarmac "rear" will start about 300/110 up to about apporx 380/180 400/200

I dont rate the rear tarmac set up on a road car because they are to hard on the road and will cause the back end to skip when you hit a bump

I had 350/150 far too hard on the road took them off I then went for the less forgiving Gravel set up instead they are ideal on the rear best of bothworlds track/road

you can also convert a gravel shock into a tarmac shock but you can't convert a tarmac into gravel

i know alot of the other manufactors have come along way but i still prefer the billys over them

i would only take them of for a set of Ohlins/Proflex/Regier/ ect all with remote resivoir

you can by a good set of second hand magnesuim gravel spec rears complete form about 250 upto 350 quid i wouldn't pay a penny more

the fronts second hand for the pair ..say a grp a tarmac insert in grp n body rating about 450/180 complete about 250-350 quid

you could buy a brand new set of other coilovers for the same amount if not cheaper but how long do they last before you make the call to say can you fix them

thats my personal opinion i have had the cossy 12/13 yrs i might be stuck in the past but for what they cost they are the bollox

think of it this way if the billys wasn't any good i don't think ford works car would use them how many "works cars "have you heard of that use Spax/Koni/Leda/Avo/ in the past ...........none

cheers Marco
Old 20-04-2006, 09:38 PM
moonstone mike

good reading thanks