General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

air con on a saff

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:21 AM
dansmith215

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air con on a saff

Can anybody help me????
I have got a sierra sapphire rs 4*4 cosworth 1992 it has air con, but it doesnt work, well i mean all the running gear works but nothing is coming out cold!!!!
I have had the R12 gas taken out and the R413A put back in last year, this year i thought i'd give it a try and it doesnt work again, i have checked to see if there is any gas in the unit and it has all gone so............. wot i am after is for some information/help or for somebody to point me into the right direction of wot i have to do or get this fixed coz it is driving me mad. i live in gt.yarmouth right near norwich so the closer the garage that you recommend the better it is for me.
I have foned some garages myself and they all tell me different things, some say that i need some seals changed, some say that i need the R134A gas, some say i need to change the condensor and the compressor. i would like to know wot is involved into getting this back up and running so i know that the garage i take it to does know wot they are doing. cheers dan smith
Old 12-04-2006, 07:54 AM
angel24
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

The only people i would recommend is a Ford main dealer, personally wouldn't go anywhere else but Essex Ford in Basildon but that's about 1 and half hours from you! Sorry, as much help as a chocolate teapot!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:34 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

if you've changed the gas you need to change the seals
R12 is illegal and has been for some time now and the replacement R134 isn't as cold BUT because it's CFC free it's better for the enviroment but it does need new seals

you can go to anyone who does air con and gettig it sorted but be prepared to pay out big money for it

you will need to get it vac'd out (sometimes this takes 24 hours) and you'll also probably be best getting a new filter thing (it's been a few years now so they might be calling it something other than a reciver/dryer ) which is the big tube thing behind the passenger side headlight
if the evaporator has gone or the main cooling rad you are again looking at big time on that to get it replaced (they are about Ł120 each for the rads but the one in the bulkhead is a right pain in the arse to get out due to it's size)
you can also bank on the fan being fubar

it's well worth it, having been in a car with ac on a hot day and being stuck in a van without later on, it's deffinitly worth getting an ac equipped motor, but it sounds like you may be paying at least Ł4-500 to get this sorted, and if you need lots of money to fix it'll be more like a grand

what you want to do is get the dye put in and find out where the leak is coming from, use the dye rather than the sniffer stuff as it's easier to spot a big pink blob than it is to poke a pipe around to detect if a tiny bit of gas has leaked

the vac will also need doing as water in the air kills the ac and if it's been left open to the enviroment it might be conaminated beyond rescue
Old 12-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Alvyn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

when you had it refilled it worked for how long? as said above seals may have to be changed also,how ever MOST people dont get told that you should activate the ac at least once a month(whether weather is hot or not) to keep the gas in cylinder active.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:18 AM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went through all this with 1 of my old saffs, people telling me i had to replace all the seals, hoses etc....
in the end a guy round the corner done it for me, vac'd the system, changed the oil & filled it with gas, perfect, just had to have a slight top up every year.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Disabled Account
Banned

Might sound like the most silly question ever...............BUT are you pushing the switch IN so that the green (air con) light comes on?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:43 AM
gingeRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
i went through all this with 1 of my old saffs, people telling me i had to replace all the seals, hoses etc....
in the end a guy round the corner done it for me, vac'd the system, changed the oil & filled it with gas, perfect, just had to have a slight top up every year.
worth doing

the aircon in mine works, not chilly chilly but will be effective enough in summer, are regases expensive?

Old 12-04-2006, 10:57 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

interesting reading.

i work as a test engineer for the worlds largest automotive air con compressor manufacturer by the way
Old 14-04-2006, 09:59 PM
dansmith215

Default re air con on saff coz

thanks all for the help, think i have finally found a garage that is local and they sound like they know wot they are doing!! the car is now booked in for a couple of weeks time, by that time we might get some hot weather so i might be able to use it!!!