General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

DVD ripper/burner people - advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 26-03-2006, 08:27 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default DVD ripper/burner people - advice please!

Before I begin, I would like to state that this IS a legal thread, and is not encouraging dvd piracy. The consumer HAS the right to legally make as many "back up copies" of a DVD that they legally own (ie, one they bought) and thus is not breaking the law. And thus, DVD Ripping software is a legal PC tool, provided the obtainment of such software was gained legally (ie. freeware download, or purchased software)

Anyway, with that out of the way.....

For a good while now I have used a programme called DVD Shrink, which is a very good programme that allows the user to load a DVD into it and rip the content to DVD compatible files. The files remain the true size to the original DVD, and the best thing about DVD Shrink is it's ability to compress the files to fit a 4.7gb DVD-R disc (or 8.5gb DL DVD-R) I have never had a failed disc so far using DVD Shrink, that is untill this weekend....

From the beginning of 2006, Sony Pictures and Columbia/Tristar, along with most Dreamworks, Miramax, Caravan, and a few others, have begun encoding new DVD's with a new form of copy protection called "ARccOS"m which is also used in DVD-based and memory stick based games. DVD Shrink (nor DVD Decrypter) are able to crack this encryption, and cannot successfully rip to the HDD. ARccOS also prevents 1:1 copying, even when the original disc is of a filesize small enough to fit on a blank DVD (ie, if it is less that 8.5gb, of which a lot of original DVD's are anyway)

Sooooo.... I went on a few sites and read up on it, but got very confused! I downloaded legal issues of DVD Decrypter, and the PSL2 plugin patch that is needed to allow DVDD to successfully rip an ARccOS encoded disc (along with this two other programmes come in the download - PGC Edit and FixVTS, which are also needed)

On a popular forum devoted to digital video, I found a good "How to guide" (see here : http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=56831 ) but upon embarking on the lenghty process involved with this, the resulting rip was still unsuccessful. The inital rip and secondary rip was successfull, and the files were able to be put into DVD Shrink to be compressed. When the compression was finished tho, DVD Shrink popped up a warking that something wasn't right. I used Nero 6 (as I always do) to burn the files to a DVD as a DVD video, and again got a warning that there was a problem. The result was a DVD that didn't play, and when you stick it in a PC, it was basically a data disc.

After trying Nero's "Recoder" which converts DVD files to "Nero Digital" (MPEG4) and then using WinAVI to convert back to DVD filetype (VOB and VTS), Nero accepted the files and began the burn. The result was a perfect playing DVD, with crystal clear picture. Sadly tho - there was no audio track!!! I tried again (did the Recorder and WinAVI) with a second set of files from the same disc) but again I got a DVD with no audio

So..... What do you people use and has anyone here got past the ARccOS encryption, as this is baffling me now as I cannot get it to work.....

In case anyone is wondering, the DVD I was trying to rip from and burn was "The Exorcism of Emily Rose". I have tried with another Dreamworks DVD, which also have the logo on it, but it obviously wasn't ARccOS encrypted as DVD Shrink handled it perfectly....
Old 26-03-2006, 09:02 PM
se mk3 cabbie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why buy movie and then rip it, just download and rip, no encryption
Old 26-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

It's responses like that that will get the thread deleted!

I DO NOT CONDONE ILLEGAL FILM DOWNLOADING, I would like to state for the record

For the record I would also like to state that I prefer my DVD's to be of the best quality - with decent pictures and full 5.1 sound tracks - which you usually don't get when downloading MPG or WMV films - not that I would know!!!

Reson for backing them up is so when I lend one out to a mate or whatever, they don't get scratched, fucked up or lost. Also with 4 DVD players in the house, it's nice to keep the expensive bit of round plastic in it's case, and the cheapo 40p bit of plastic wherever, where it don't matter if it gets scratched - just burn another copy off....

I used to copy VHS films onto blank tapes for films I watched a lot or liked a lot, just so that if it was gonna get chewed up or worn out, it weren't gonna be the original that got it - it was the cheap copy I made....

Anyway, back to the original question
Old 26-03-2006, 09:14 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

http://www.dvdr-digest.com/software/dvd95copy.html
Old 26-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

James - which version do you use? I take it you have the paid for version, as the trial version cut out 25mins of the movie....

Do you know if they DO indeed crack ARccOS encrypted DVD's?
Old 26-03-2006, 09:44 PM
daz1968
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I have not had anything fail with using anydvd, just download a trial and try it, you can still then use dvd shrink to compress to dvd5, although I think clonedvd is a far better tool for compressing the files and selecting tracks to keep and delete, cracks for these programs are also all over the net so you can keep using them.
Old 26-03-2006, 09:52 PM
EIL132
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Thrush
James - which version do you use? I take it you have the paid for version, as the trial version cut out 25mins of the movie....

Do you know if they DO indeed crack ARccOS encrypted DVD's?
I have the full v3.5
Old 26-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

James - and have you had any probs with ARccOS (or other) encrypted discs? I am reluctant to pay for it, and find that there are discs I want to back up that it won't do, or in the future there are discs it won't do, and I have to pay AGAIN to get it to do them...... With freeware, even tho it's annoying when it won't do a certain disc (like this Exorcism of Emily Rose disc), at least it was a free edition and not like I paid for something I can't now use, y'know?
Old 27-03-2006, 02:51 AM
Lee1972
Formerly COSSIE_LEE

use DVDFab Decrypter it removes ARccOS and its free
Old 27-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Lee, I have just got this programme and installed last night. I need to find an ARccOS encrypted disc now to try it - I lent my copy of The Exorcism of Emily Rose out on Sunday tho, so probably won't see it for a few months now
Old 27-03-2006, 03:25 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

quite a technical post there thrush! havent copied any DVDs for a while so been out of touch with the latest encryptions.

Think I might just sit back and see how you get on with this one. then nick the details later
Old 27-03-2006, 03:32 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Originally Posted by EssexBoyRacer
quite a technical post there thrush! havent copied any DVDs for a while so been out of touch with the latest encryptions.

Think I might just sit back and see how you get on with this one. then nick the details later
I'm not as stupid as I look Just sometimes things baffle me (like bluetooth drivers )

I've been told, on the Digital Digest forums, that there are two good processes you can use;

1. DVDfab Decrypter - Decode and rip the DVD to files on the HDD
2. FixVTS - check the cells to make sure the encryption is gone, fixes any remaining bad cells
3. DVD Shrink - to compress the cured DVD files to a file size to fit a 4.7gb disc
4. Nero 6 - burn the files to DVD video

Or;

1. PgcEdit with PSL2 wizard - decode and rip DVD files to HDD
2. FixVTS - as above, part of the automated PSL2 wizard process
3. DVD Shrink - as above
3. DVD Decrypter - to burn to video DVD

I just need an ARccOS encrypted disc to try this out on now tho....
Old 27-03-2006, 03:36 PM
EssexBoyRacer
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I used to use a tool called besweet which I found very good at converting audio formats in videos. Though Im not sure how it handles encryption.
Old 27-03-2006, 03:38 PM
SteveT
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Kinda off topic here, but I've just got a DVD burner and have started backing up my DVD collection, but I am sure that the audio is kinda outta sync with the picure. Lip sync doesn't look 100%.

Used DVD Shrink to extract DVD data, and then DVD Decryptor to burn the DVD. (its one automated process with DVDShrink). Anyone else had this problem? Or am I just imagining it LOL?!

Also - If I have a DVD which is able to fit onto a normal DVD4.7Gb disc without any compression, should I still be using DVDShrink to rip it? I have chosen No Compression option, but am I still losing quality or will it be an exact digital copy? I still find audio seems kinda out of sync.

steve
Old 27-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

I *think* if you have a disc where the original file size is small enough to fit onto a normal 4.7gb DVD-R, you can do a simple 1:1 copy, using either DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter

YOu may still have to rip to the HDD to remove any copy protection tho...

For Lip-Sync probs - how do you burn? Do you use the automated process with DVD Shrink (ie, it encodes, then automatically burns) ? If so, diable the auto-burn. Let it rip and write to the HDD, THEN laod the new files into the programme you use to burn with. I have seen a few reported probs with DVD video's where the auto burn on DVD Shrink has been the problem....
Old 30-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

In case anyone else has advice