General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ST170 alarm and key help needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:55 PM
NMS Badboy^NUTTER^
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST170 alarm and key help needed

Just put a new battery in the key and the lock/unlock doesn't work, and if i open the car using the key the alarm sounds

Where is the siren located? I need to get the damn thing shut up while i try and find a way of getting the thing to work!

Any help kindly recieved
Old 10-02-2006, 01:27 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bung the key in the igniton, this should shut it up. then start it, take the key out and the key will have hopefully remembered it's purpose in life then start working as it should!

if not you may have the batteries around the wrong way.

i don't think there is any special procedure to follow once changing the batteries anyway?
Old 10-02-2006, 01:32 PM
NMS Badboy^NUTTER^

Cheers
Old 10-02-2006, 05:20 PM
NMS Badboy^NUTTER^

Still doesn't work ffs. Anyone else with an idea???
Old 10-02-2006, 05:24 PM
london_chris
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Since I've seen many posts about help required programming keys and remote controls I decided it's time for a definitive guide.

First it must be realised that there are two separate systems involved.

1) Remote Control

2) Immobiliser.

Each system requires a different method to "teach" a replacement key.

REMOTE CONTROL.

The remote control system used on the Focus uses a coded RF (Radio Frequency) signal on a frequency of 433mhz. (Us/Jap 418/315Mhz)

When a button is pressed on the remote control the signal is sent and is picked up by a receiver located inside the central locking module. This then operates the locking motors in the doors. Each time the remote control is used, the code transmitted is changed (rolling code), so that it is impossible to use a device to "grab" the signal and replay it to unlock the vehicle.

To teach a remote control the following procedure will need to be followed. It's quite simple and I’m sure with a little practice you will be able to do it with your eyes shut!!

For the ignition switch Accessory is (Pos I) and On is (Pos II)

1) Insert a key into the ignition and cycle from (Pos I) to (PosII) and back to (Pos I), 4 times within about 3 seconds. I know the Ford literature says 6 seconds but I have found this to be a more reliable method.

If you have successfully entered learning mode a chime should be heard. On Focus do not expect the clock LED to flash. You now have about 30 seconds to complete the following step(s).

2) Now press any button on the remote control. If the learning was successful then a further chime will be heard. Repeat only this step for any additional remotes that you wish to teach to the vehicle.

3) Once you have taught all the remotes you can exit learning mode and try them by one of two methods. Either wait 30 seconds or cycle the ignition key to On then Off once.

It should be noted that if a new remote control is taught to the vehicle then remotes that were previously programmed will be erased. Handy if you've lost one or had it stolen. Teach all the required remotes at the same time.

What can go wrong?

There are many things but the main one may be a flat battery in the remote control. The battery used is a CR2032. The same type that backs up the CMOS/Clock memory on your PC. Contrary to popular belief the 3 button remote controls do not loose their memory if you try to change the battery and take longer than 30 seconds. This only happened on the 2 button Infra Red remotes.

The remote controls rolling code may have lost sync with the locking module. Repeated button presses whilst out of the range of the vehicle can cause this. Since this is about 200 presses, this is unlikely to happen unless you've got an active toddler playing! You will need to re-teach in this case.

There are two completely different locking modules used between the 99My and 02My Foci. The 99My used a Central Security Module (CSM) and the 02My uses a Generic Electronic Module (GEM). The CSM sometimes suffers a software lock up, which causes the remote to stop working. (More often on Mondeo!). Resetting the CSM can cure this. The easiest way to do this is to disconnect the vehicle battery negative terminal for about 30 seconds and then reconnect. Be sure to have the keys outside the vehicle when you do this, as sometimes the car will lock upon reconnection. Also you will need to enter the radio code if it's got one.

If you are still unsuccessful at getting the remote to function try borrowing a mates one. If you only try programming the remote part it will not affect their vehicle. Mind you if this works then you will have to get a new remote fairly quickly as every time they open their vehicle so will yours!!

Many things can affect remote control range. Main ones are battery condition and any local 433Mhz radio signals.

Now on to the second part....

IMMOBILISER

All European Foci use the Ford PATS immobiliser. This is referred to a SafeGuard in some literature. The system basically functions as follows,

In the ignition key is an electronic device called a Transponder. When you turn the key in the ignition a small aerial located around the ignition switch barrel sends out a signal to "energise" the transponder in the key (the transponder does not require a battery). The transponder then returns an encrypted code to the aerial. This is then checked by the immobiliser to see if the key is known. If the key is known, the starter and ignition systems are enabled, and the vehicle will run normally. Should the key not be recognised then the immobiliser will shut down the starter and ignition systems and the LED in the clock will flash quickly.

For you to teach a key to your vehicle you require TWO keys that are already known to the vehicle. If you only have one then it's off to the dealer. No other choice. None. Zip.....

The following procedure is a little tricky but can be mastered with practice.

To add a key. Think of your original keys as key 1 and key 2. Think of your new key as key 3. Each of the following steps MUST be completed within 5 seconds of the previous step.

1) Insert key 1 and turn to on for about 1-2 seconds. Switch off and remove the key.

2) Insert key 2 and turn to on for about 1-2 seconds. Switch off and remove the key.

3) Insert key 3 and turn to on and wait at least 5 second for the key to be memorised.

Repeat for any additional keys up to a maximum of 8 total.

Should you loose a key it is possible to erase it from the immobiliser’s memory by doing the following. Once again you still need 2 working keys.

1) Insert key 1 and turn to on for about 1-2 seconds. Switch off and remove the key.

2) Insert key 2 and turn to on for about 1-2 seconds. Switch off. Now turn back On for a further 1-2 seconds, off, and remove the key.

3) Insert key 1 and turn to on. The LED in the clock will flash rapidly for 5 seconds. Once the LED stops turn off and you're done.

All keys except for the 2 used during this procedure will be cleared.

What can go wrong?
If you have followed the above and are having no luck then it may be that you are too quick or too slow with the key swapping. It takes practice.

The dealer can also disable spare key programming. B'stards! I hear you cry. In reality this feature is used to safeguard hire/fleet vehicles from customers who require 2 keys from doing a naughty!

You may have a new key with the wrong transponder in it. Ford uses 3 different types of transponder. The Focus requires a key with a plain blue dot on the end. It must NOT have W1 engraved on it. In the case of the remote control check to see if the part number starts 98AG... This is located next to the small cut out where you insert a screwdriver to separate the remote from the key part.

97BG(Red) or 2S..(Wedge) will not work on the current Focus.

Here's where the part number is written....

And lastly a feature called "Antiscan" can cause a few missed heartbeats. If a key that is not known to the immobiliser turned in the ignition (Possibly trying out a newly cut key) then the immobiliser will lock out and even a good key will no longer start the vehicle. Don't panic. All that is required it to put a known key in the ignition and turn to the on position for at least 20 seconds. Key off and then try to start the vehicle. All should be ok.

C-MAX/New Focus
The above remote control learning process should still be possible but it is a little difficult due to the enormous amounts of chimes emitted every time you turn on the ignition. (Me thinks FMC lost the plot here a little). The passive entry system remotes have to be programmed by the dealer.

Key programming should not be possible as this is now a dealer only process. I know it mentions it in the handbook but I'd be surprised if it actually works. CMax/New focus use different keys, which are not interchangeable with the older Foci.

Sorry this has been a long post but hopefully it'll prove of use.

PH

And here's a little extra bit..........

So what do you do if you've only got a remote key and the remote part breaks. (You've dropped it down the loo etc!!!) Well there is a dodge that can be performed, but beware, if you break the transponder you're going to have to be recovered to the dealer!!!

Firstly get a new remote control. Ideally it should be of the correct type (98AG part no.) but since we are swapping the glass transponder the 98BG will also do.

Lay both remotes on the table and be sure you know which one is which. Open up the case and use a suitable tool such as a screwdriver to gently ease out the transponder bead. It is glass and will break if you are not carefull. The trick is to push the end of the bead within the rubber.

Ensure that you replace the glass transponder the same way up as it came out.

Once you have swapped over the transponders reassemble your new remote and after programming the remote part only you should have a working key.

Finally...Some of you have bid on remotes from EBAY, found in breakers yards etc. only to find that they have 98BG part numbers. Don't despair. Find yourself a scrap blue dot key (not one with W1 on) and carefully remove the glass transponder by either carefully cutting it with a hacksaw or hot knife. Then replace the transponder in the remote control as shown above....[img][/img]
Old 10-02-2006, 05:27 PM
DUDE_SWEET_FRST

hope you get what you want from that reply
Old 10-02-2006, 05:29 PM
london_chris

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

lol sorry about the essay!

Trending Topics

Old 10-02-2006, 08:12 PM
NMS Badboy^NUTTER^

Old 10-02-2006, 08:28 PM
TrickyDicky

Default Re: ST170 alarm and key help needed

Originally Posted by ^NUTTER^
Just put a new battery in the key and the lock/unlock doesn't work, and if i open the car using the key the alarm sounds

Where is the siren located? I need to get the damn thing shut up while i try and find a way of getting the thing to work!

Any help kindly recieved
pm me if you've had no luck yet and i'll tell you how to reprogram the remote fob-these lose memory if batteries out for 2 long during replacement. straightforward procedure taking 10 secs but ford will charge circa £30 for it.(they do round here anyway)

Tricky