General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.
View Poll Results: Who wants the 2 rooms back together
One Discussion room
70.43%
Two Discussion Rooms
22.04%
Couldnt care less to be honest...
7.53%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Soz but this 2 room carry on is poo!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 07:49 AM
Mr Brannen
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chip-3door
Originally Posted by mk1_orion_boy
I don't really like it either Loads of times I've looked at the car chat bit and forgot to look at the other one so could have missed some good posts.
dont worry, you havent
Just you droning on
Old 10-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Redkop
Member No: 39

Originally Posted by mk1_orion_boy
I don't really like it either Loads of times I've looked at the car chat bit and forgot to look at the other one so could have missed some good posts.
Good grief, the reasons are getting lamer and lamer, how the hell can you forget, when it's one of the 'hottest' discussions currently on PF?
Old 10-02-2006, 08:18 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Forgetting to look is one thing, but missing posts? Where to they go?
Old 10-02-2006, 08:26 AM
BlueSmoke
PassionFord's crazy fool!

Originally Posted by Redkop
Originally Posted by gurnE
Originally Posted by robrs
Think i prefer the one discussion room too - i think the poll results speak 4 itself dont u?
Apparently not. According to Redkop the 17 thousand abstainers like the two rooms but can't be fucked to vote
The poll still doesn't reflect a true percentage....

By Stu

Some simple PassionFord facts to consider:
Yesterday alone we posted 2438 posts on PassionFord.
1857 of those were in general Discussion.
581 posts were made elsewhere.
2041 SEPERATE people visited us yesterday.
6899 Visits in total yesterday (total fresh visits by IP's)
So only about 5-6% of the users have voted - that means to me those that haven't voted must approve of it - otherwise they would've voted their disapproval on the poll to get one room back.

Think about it.

So sorry, the poll counts for sweet FA.

83 votes for one room is a minority vote.
What complete and utter tosh! What planet are you living on?

Do you not realise that the poll is anything but pointless? Do you not realise that the people voting are the people ACTUALLY USING THE FORUM and not the people who have a membership but rarely post?

Surely it's the opinion of the frequent users that counts? Surely you want to keep those frequent users coming here as they keep the forum alive, they are its lifeblood, and so you listen to their opinions. There must be a reason why people come here.

I think a lot of that is that people's opinions here ARE taken on board by the admin team, who do a fantastic job

Surely it's more important to know how 300+ users that come here a lot and keep the topics flowing, contribute and make posts etc feel than the folks that hardly participate?

Just my opinion, but I know I'm right
Old 10-02-2006, 08:35 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Surely the important question is why out of 2041 daily visitors (and 18K total members) only 158 can be bothered to even vote.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:43 AM
BlueSmoke

Originally Posted by MWF
Surely the important question is why out of 2041 daily visitors (and 18K total members) only 158 can be bothered to even vote.
I think you have to realise that some people are actually giving this a chance, and like myself, have not voted yet as they are undecided and want to make a decision before registering a vote.

I personally favour the 1 room as it stands BUT it's easy to say that at this point as it's all I've ever known on PF and it's what I'm used to. I want to see how this feels once I have gotten used to it as only then can I accurately decide which method I prefer.

Example: How many times have you listened to an album and not been blown away by it, but then you listen again, and again and it starts to grow on you until you're really into it?
Old 10-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Redkop

Originally Posted by DogSmoke
Think i prefer the one discussion room too - i think the poll results speak 4 itself dont u?
Apparently not. According to Redkop the 17 thousand abstainers like the two rooms but can't be fucked to vote

By Stu

So only about 5-6% of the users have voted - that means to me those that haven't voted must approve of it - otherwise they would've voted their disapproval on the poll to get one room back.

Think about it.

Do you not realise that the poll is anything but pointless? Do you not realise that the people voting are the people ACTUALLY USING THE FORUM and not the people who have a membership but rarely post?

Surely it's the opinion of the frequent users that counts? Surely you want to keep those frequent users coming here as they keep the forum alive, they are its lifeblood, and so you listen to their opinions. There must be a reason why people come here.

I think a lot of that is that people's opinions here ARE taken on board by the admin team, who do a fantastic job

Surely it's more important to know how 300+ users that come here a lot and keep the topics flowing, contribute and make posts etc feel than the folks that hardly participate?

AFPMSL that reply is cracking me up... what don't you understand about the poll is a waste of time? I reiterate... it does NOT show a true reflection of what the MAJORITY want. It shows a MINORITY wanting one room back out of 2.4k plus users who visit PF, you don't have to be Einstein to work out, that those who haven't voted, MUST approve of the set-up now, or aren't bothered one way or another.

So wing your way to the planet you come from
Old 10-02-2006, 08:55 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by MWF
I think you have to realise that some people are actually giving this a chance, and like myself, have not voted yet as they are undecided and want to make a decision before registering a vote.
Fair point mate, I hadn't voted until this morning. But it seems you are now arguing against your original point about only the frequent users views counting?

I think the poll has been started far too early as a knee jerk reaction. I feel Redkop has a fair point by saying at the moment the results mainly represents those who don't like the new forum layout. Basically those that aren't bothering to give it a fair chance.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:06 AM
BlueSmoke

By Stu

Think about it.

AFPMSL that reply is cracking me up... what don't you understand about the poll is a waste of time? I reiterate... it does NOT show a true reflection of what the MAJORITY want. It shows a MINORITY wanting one room back out of 2.4k plus users who visit PF, you don't have to be Einstein to work out, that those who haven't voted, MUST approve of the set-up now, or aren't bothered one way or another.

Who the hell are you?!

Try to remember that some of us haven't voted yet. it's only a MINORITY of the registered users that regularly use the site.

And please advise me as to why you think the 2.4k users that visit regularly ALL actually post, and ALL actually use the Gen Discussion room/s.

Next time you try to make me look stupid, at least make an effort.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This poll has been utterly predictable so far based on the standard issue "resistance to change" concept.

Initially it was almost all votes for one room, it ramped up to about 90% to begin with, and since then as its gone on longer and longer and as people have got more used to it those voting now have pulled the odds back the other way a little.

I bet if the poll was started all over again now after people have got used to it that many of the people who voted one room initially would now vote two once they have got used to it?

This happened on another forum i use, they changed how it was all laid out and everyone complained and wanted it back and said it was terrible (myself included ) but then by a month later once everyone was used to it, it was actually a better layout really.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:26 AM
MWF
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by chip-3door
I bet if the poll was started all over again now after people have got used to it that many of the people who voted one room initially would now vote two
Yep agree with you there!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:36 AM
BlueSmoke

Chip, I don't believe anyone should have actually started a poll yet anyway.

We need an official poll from Mr Stu a week tomorrow or something.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Chip, I don't believe anyone should have actually started a poll yet anyway.

We need an official poll from Mr Stu a week tomorrow or something.
Hows that for bad timing, i just started yet another one with more options on it in terms of people saying why they dont like or do like it
Old 10-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Daveyboy
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Who the hell are you?!
She be RedKop mate, been about since before you were born probably
Old 10-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Redkop

By Stu

Think about it.

Who the hell are you?!

Try to remember that some of us haven't voted yet. it's only a MINORITY of the registered users that regularly use the site.

And please advise me as to why you think the 2.4k users that visit regularly ALL actually post, and ALL actually use the Gen Discussion room/s.

More to the point, who are you, are you a halfwit or something? It still makes this poll a MINORITY vote for those that want it back to one room and it can only win as a MAJORITY vote IF everyone votes. Christ it's that simple!
Old 10-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Anonymous
Banned

More to the point, who are you, are you a halfwit or something? It still makes this poll a MINORITY vote for those that want it back to one room and it can only win as a MAJORITY vote IF everyone votes. Christ it's that simple!
Its a sample poll, and so far the majority of those sampled prefer it how it was.

Although ive just started a new poll to see how people feel now they are used to it more, and so far (based at the moment on an even smaller sample though!) people are now saying they prefer it now they have got used to it.

you are NEVER going to know what constitutes a majority of people who still use the site and many people will just abstain completely from bothering anyway, so all you can do (in any poll in life) is make the assumption that those who have voted represent a similar spread to those who havent, fundamentally flawed of course, but there isnt really another option.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:05 AM
Anonymous
Banned

Other problem with this poll of course i the way its worded

"soz but this 2 room carry on is poo" is what any statistician would very much call a "loaded survey" you are putting a suggestion in peoples minds when they click the link, not a good way to get people's true feelings!
Old 10-02-2006, 10:06 AM
BlueSmoke

Originally Posted by Daveyboy

Who the hell are you?!
She be RedKop mate, been about since before you were born probably
Yes mate, I was being cynical though

If she's over the age of 24 (which I gather she is) then yes, she's been around since before I was born
Old 10-02-2006, 10:08 AM
BlueSmoke

By Stu

Think about it.

Who the hell are you?!

I give up. You're just not getting what I'm saying at all
Old 10-02-2006, 02:26 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I give up. You're just not getting what I'm saying at all
I would mate, she's talking nonsense.

On her logic everyone who didn't vote at the last election is counted as a vote for Labour

Poll results are pretty clear but I do agree an new poll should be posted by admin after the weeks trial
Old 10-02-2006, 02:33 PM
dexterc
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

It would also imply that every socialogical study ever done is incorrect as it didnt incorporate the entire target group in the study. Someone tell the sociologists, quick!
Old 10-02-2006, 05:57 PM
NUTS RuS
15K+ Super Poster!!

Forget all the voting crap, just look at the server stats in a few weeks time and compare against those of a few months ago.

Lets see if its caused any 'real' issues that way.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:08 PM
Phil DJ
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I think it works anyway.

At least the posts in both rooms stay on page 1 for longer rather than having to search thru 3 or 4 pages to find a post u made to check if there's a reply to it or not
Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Andy-R
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I think its a great idea splitting them. Guaranteed there will be more users posting within a short period of time.

More than just a few people, have mentioned to me in passing, that they feel uncomfortable/intimidated using General.

The sheer size of PF and the speed at which the Topics dissapear from "General Section" as we knew it, did have the effect of topics dropping like a lead ballon.

I know people dont like change, cant say I relishing it either, however I do feel that splitting general into two sections will encourage more people to post, creating a wider variety of topics.

Hopefully by then become less intimidating, new users & registered users with little or no posts, will begin to and be more at ease posting.

Resulting in an even more varied and user friendly Passion Ford.

p.s Am I one of few people that have a couple of browsers open similtaniously on PF? Surely there is no need to click between one section and the other when you can simply click on the other browser
Old 10-02-2006, 08:35 PM
gurnE
PassionFord Post Whore!!

That's fine if you live on pf.

Right now I have passionford, visordown, ebay, psooc and google open in my browser.

Another passionford tab would just get confusing.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

sorry but if this vote was done BEFORE the changes what would have happened then

when there was voting for res parking they used the "votes" they recived as what people wanted

they didnt count the ones who never replied as " they feel its fine and dont care about change

NOR did they mention in the "vote" box the terms of the res parking, like 1 permit per house hold that can have UPTO 3 cars on it but only use one at a time,,,,,,, never mentioned that friends and reletives can stay for a MAX of 2 hours at a cost of 8 quid,,,,, they never even mentioned that we only have 20 streets to actually park in as at the end of the road is ANOTHER zone so we have to pay 8 quid for a max of 2 hours there

OR the resident permits are 100 fucking quid to buy

they just said "vote here" and anyone who ingored it was classed as a "for" vote rather than a against as they would have voted if they never wanted it,,,,,,,,,,,,,, can be taken both ways though

i COULDNT GIVE A SHITE how the forum is laid out BUT i do feel automatically like theres gonna be no fun anymore as in the"general room" is gonna be a cliqu'e room i guess and the car section will be the only one to grow

just look at the member that use the muppet room and the ones who use general,,,,,,, there 2 groups of people totally and as such we dont talk to each other

i feel like its a internet version of the berlin wall,,,,,,,,,, not to mention if the PEOPLE WHO REPLY are ignored then the ones who dont ( ignore the votes btw) then are we really listening

cant we test it for 2 weeks AND keep a general discussion LIKE before and see what we all use,,,,,, the ones who want car chat then use that, the ones who want JUST bollox then uise that and the one who dont like change use BOTH

OR cant we have a option like in our OWN settings that allows general and car chat in the same forum,,,,,,,,,,, veiw new posts shows em all and also dont allow to see OLD posts you might have missed before
Old 12-02-2006, 02:21 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

At the end of the day this is a car forum and i like it as it is now with the 2 rooms

I don't want to drag through shed loads of topics trying to find a good car topic

Keep it like this please

Steve.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:16 PM
ThomasRC
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I am a new user and what made me register was not only the fact i had too because i couldnt get in the rooms lol,but because we now have a proper car chat general area with nothing but car talk.It was too confusing with one as i had to sift through loads of topics of no interest to me,now every topic is of interest.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:47 PM
LEE-RS
Custom

its better with the 2 rooms for people who just come on here every few days
but not the ones that use it alot

i think its dying down already imo