Garage / Workshop & Tools Section. Given working on your pride and joy is often one of the reasons cited for owning a Ford, post all your garage and tool collection pictures and questions in here.

diagnostic scanner

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:59 PM
c2ssv
the best 4x4xfar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diagnostic scanner

looking 4 a diagnostic scanner to remove airbag a.b.s and engine managment lights. what scanner would any1 recommend
Old 12-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Mk4 Lew
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yif you want to remove them you need a screwdriver. lol im joking. ask around
Old 15-09-2010, 10:56 PM
BlacknBlown
SuckSqueezeBangBlown

Originally Posted by c2ssv
looking 4 a diagnostic scanner to remove airbag a.b.s and engine managment lights. what scanner would any1 recommend
Find a used Snap-on Ethos. Should be about Ł300-Ł400 or a new one is Ł699 + vat at the moment.
Old 15-09-2010, 11:19 PM
3i_gaz
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by BlacknBlown
Find a used Snap-on Ethos. Should be about Ł300-Ł400 or a new one is Ł699 + vat at the moment.
Job Done!
Old 17-09-2010, 09:32 PM
siward
Regular Contributor

I use the snap on ethos, Has not let me down yet. good bit of kit for the money

Si
Old 18-09-2010, 10:55 AM
BLACKCOS
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

do you need to buy the diffrent keys for them or is that the old type snap on ones.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 PM
offitmassive

i use a hannotech where i work, comes with all different diag socket connectors, inc obd2, mazda, toyota, old school audi etc
Old 09-11-2010, 09:13 PM
xrsi
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

what sort of age of car do you want to work on?

ive got a MT2500 snap on scanner and it can do most things, i have got a ford POD up to 2001 and it covers cosies, RST and newer with right connectors.

depends on what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend.

Ive had mine 12 months now and not regretted it at all, may look at updating it at some point maybe but for now the Ł400 the whole kit has cost me isnt too bad!
Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 PM
cosworth_cab
Never over till its over

We use Autodiagnos, Find it very easy to use unlike most on market..
Old 24-01-2011, 08:36 PM
nm_coolj

Lately iv been thinking of trying out one of those pc based scanners like elmscan5 or the autoenginuity one. Has any1 had any experience with anything like these.
Iv just got into the trade and i could realy do with somthing like that if they realy do the job.
Old 31-01-2011, 04:36 PM
FAL
Virgin

Not sure what you're looking for exactly, but being a Ford forum: There's a factory software tool (more in-depth than IDS) called Ford VODU, that's J2534 Pass-Thru compatible. Not sure if that helps, but...
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 AM
nm_coolj

Im just looking for something that will do most of the general work at the moment without forking out too much.
You know reading codes, switching of lights and basic diagnosis etc but was looking for a machine which will work on as many cars as possible as Im working in a regular little garage so we have all sorts rolling in.
I think im gonna go for this little pc based tool and see how it works.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:08 PM
BlacknBlown
SuckSqueezeBangBlown

The Snap-on Ethos is on a give away deal price Ł379 + vat. if you sign up to the updates for a year.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 PM
nikki.n.tom
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

is that from your local dealer? 379 is a good price for the ethos!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:30 PM
ryan_gwa
Regular Contributor

Im looking for one too, like above just for warning lights and fault code reading. But I dont work in a garage so, just one where I can buy the software and lead for use on a laptop.

Obviously not one that costs the world as I wouldn't use it that often.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:25 AM
nm_coolj

Im going for the obdlink device which is one of those tools you can hook up to a laptop. Reviews are a bit mixed but ill let u know once iv received it how good it is or not.
Apparently these devices are already a hit in america and have been but hasnt kicked of here just yet.
Iv been looking at the OBDPRO which is supposed to be the best but I think im going for a middle ground with the obdlink than take it from there.
It will be good to here from anyone who has already tried one of these devices.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:23 PM
oldford

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Obdlink and other similar EOBD/OBD2 programs are nice when you only want to work on the engine and/or automatic gearbox. You cannot do anything with the Abs, Airbag, Airco, etc. It gives you access to a limited set of data and trouble codes which are all emission related.

If you want more - more possibilities (actuator test, clear service reminder), more systems or more data - you would have to buy extensions or go for more professional equipment.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM
nm_coolj

Originally Posted by oldford
Obdlink and other similar EOBD/OBD2 programs are nice when you only want to work on the engine and/or automatic gearbox. You cannot do anything with the Abs, Airbag, Airco, etc. It gives you access to a limited set of data and trouble codes which are all emission related.

If you want more - more possibilities (actuator test, clear service reminder), more systems or more data - you would have to buy extensions or go for more professional equipment.

Well at the moment I just want to go for somthing cheap and cheerfull like what you have said about the obd programs but down the line I will be looking for the full works.
Is their such thing as a scanner which does everything on all cars if not most.
What I mean is are their scanners which do diagnostics, airbags, abs service lights and the full works in 1 package.
How about the ethos which was mentioned before is it just limited to diagnostics or does it do everything or do garages normaly have a few different tools for different jobs.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:54 AM
oldford

Everything on all cars? NO, such a thing does not exist, and probably never will.
Are there scanners that do engine, airbag, abs, etc.? Yes. Even on more than 1 make.
BUT (very BIG but), they all have there problems. One scanner can be good on Asian vehicles, but crap on European, the other one is good on European, but not on Asian.
So, you have to define for yourself what you want to do. Limit the amount of makes, or limit the amount of systems you want to work on.
For some makes there are PC-programs that will give you near dealer possibilities.
Like Op-com for Opel/Vauxhall and VCDS (used to be Vag-com) for Audi/Seat/Skoda/VW.

The Ethos is a cheaper version of the Solus, but it is also limited in it's capabilities. Some functions the Solus can do will not be available on the Ethos.
Before buying anything expensive, get it on a trial for a couple of weeks.

Realize that EOBD/OBD2 only works on petrol passenger cars starting in 2001, diesel passenger cars starting in 2004 and diesel Vans starting in 2007! Anything older than that will require something more professional.

Last edited by oldford; 06-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:21 PM
nm_coolj

Originally Posted by oldford
Everything on all cars? NO, such a thing does not exist, and probably never will.
Are there scanners that do engine, airbag, abs, etc.? Yes. Even on more than 1 make.
BUT (very BIG but), they all have there problems. One scanner can be good on Asian vehicles, but crap on European, the other one is good on European, but not on Asian.
So, you have to define for yourself what you want to do. Limit the amount of makes, or limit the amount of systems you want to work on.
For some makes there are PC-programs that will give you near dealer possibilities.
Like Op-com for Opel/Vauxhall and VCDS (used to be Vag-com) for Audi/Seat/Skoda/VW.

The Ethos is a cheaper version of the Solus, but it is also limited in it's capabilities. Some functions the Solus can do will not be available on the Ethos.
Before buying anything expensive, get it on a trial for a couple of weeks.

Realize that EOBD/OBD2 only works on petrol passenger cars starting in 2001, diesel passenger cars starting in 2004 and diesel Vans starting in 2007! Anything older than that will require something more professional.

Nice one mate. Thats cleared alot up for me.
It's just that iv started in the trade and just checking all the routes that I can go down.
So mobile diagnostics is 1 option I was thinking of but was'nt too sure but you have cleared alot up for me.
It seem like you either limit yourself as you said and slowly build up on more as its a never ending game.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:56 PM
sir nose
Regular Contributor

At work we use the Wow system from wurth.it does pretty much everything on anything but isn't cheap and is awkward to use.I personally use the EngineCheck Pro from Gendan it only does obd-eobd,petrol diesel engines no abs/airbags/can etc its very easy to with live data and being laptop based it's cheap.
Thinking about getting an ethos.
Old 13-03-2011, 08:26 AM
oldford

So, the WOW does everything on anything?
You have support for Porsche, Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Bently and Rolls Royce?
And you can program keys, change ecu's, configure BSI's and Can gateway's etc.?
Old 13-03-2011, 01:00 PM
sir nose
Regular Contributor

I did say "pretty much everything" I've not used all the functions on it.it does code keys/ecu's but not sure if on all makes.bsi and gateways not sure.
Old 26-03-2011, 01:24 AM
nm_coolj

Originally Posted by ryan_gwa
Im looking for one too, like above just for warning lights and fault code reading. But I dont work in a garage so, just one where I can buy the software and lead for use on a laptop.

Obviously not one that costs the world as I wouldn't use it that often.

Just received the obdlink scanning device thought id let people know what its like.
Already tried it on 3 cars. 2000 fiesta which didnt work as was expected.
Than a 2002 c class and 2003 micra.
Managed to get codes for the merc and clear very easily, same with the micra.
Also I noticed more info was available for the micra than for the merc, Im guessing this has to do with the manufacturers.
Ill give it a go on a mates focus tomorrow but so far I think for basic work and diy it's perfect.
Wouldnt realy be ideal for a garage as we discussed how limited it is but hopefully we'll see more capable equipment like this as its more down to software.
If anyone else experiences any pc based scanners which are more for garage use than give us a shout

Last edited by nm_coolj; 26-03-2011 at 01:25 AM.