Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

binding brakes!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 06:44 PM
moonstone mike
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default binding brakes!!!!

My 3 doors brakes are binding on a touch due to being in the garage over winter!!!! im going to bleed the brakes and change the fluid while i remove and free up the calipers....what i want to know is there a seal kit for the front calipers still avalible from ford ??????

and what fluid is best to use????????
Old 05-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

if i remember correctly, they are available from ford, but price is a bit high, compared to new renewed calibers. you should ask the price from ford, and compare some prices between new calibers and seal kits.

you should use the same type brake fluid that you had. i would bet you have Dot 4 brake fluid. only on a pure race car i would consider using Silicone based Dot 5 fluid.

note that you should not never mix those braking fluids.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:01 PM
rssapphowner

try looking on ebay saw a refurb kit for the front calipers
Old 06-07-2005, 09:56 PM
moonstone mike

so what would happen if i used dot 5 ?????????? might consider some recon calipers... i have seen a pair for Ł260
but im putting on braided brake hoses and changing the brake fluid first tomorrow........
Old 06-07-2005, 10:18 PM
moonstone mike

Any top tips on how to change the brake fluid
Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 AM
moonstone mike

Old 07-07-2005, 05:32 PM
TurboFlush
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by moonstone mike
so what would happen if i used dot 5 ?????????? might consider some recon calipers... i have seen a pair for Ł260
but im putting on braided brake hoses and changing the brake fluid first tomorrow........
Lines and seals could fall apart! ... Dot 5 requires special calipers and such. aso DOT 5 does not last as long.

as far as exchanging the fluid, just make sure the cylinder stays full. You will probably need someone to help you bleed them also.
Or get ahold of a pressure bleeder and go at it. If you have ABS, look in the manual to figure that one out.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Hectori
Part of the Furniture

well. Dot 5 fluid does not absorb the water like non silicon type does. so the water will be on a blob in your brakefluid, and that water goes to your calibers. that is one point. second is that there is not so much of higher boiling point, so you dont actually need silicon dot5 fluid, unless you really race hard. and it also cost more than dot 4.

silicone does damage your calibers faster, if you do not change fluid.

dot 4 fluid is good, when you change it at year interwalls. there will be little water on your fluid, but when you change it often, like once a year, it will be stay in good condition.

you basicly dont need special calibers, but you must know that you cant use dot 5 on all calibers because its silicone based. and when having ABS system on car, it can be costly, if some parts of ABS breaks.

and if you change your fluid to silicone one, you must make sure, there isnt any bit of old dot 4 fluid in. you must not mix them.