Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Front brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 19-11-2009, 08:48 AM
ianbobo
oohmamama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front brake rotors

Anyone of you guys using mtec front brake rotors? are they any good? noisy?
here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

thanks for your help
cheers
Old 19-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Yes, raced hard on these on circuit and they are fine. Generic iron discs, made in Italy and good quality.

Charlie
Old 20-11-2009, 06:15 AM
ianbobo
oohmamama

Thanks for your reply Char1ie. What about noise? I want to replace mine because of excessive noise under prolonged breaking, currently I have vented , grooved and cross drilled rotors installed + EBC green stuff pads. rotors quite worn now do you think the new MTEC rotors would cure the annoying noise?

Many Thanks

Ian
Old 20-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Char1ie

It all depends what the annoying noise is. Noise of brake pad on disc isn't something that you'd hear in the car unless you have a stone or something trapped in there I think. Have you had a look? Take the front pads out and see if there's any scoring.

I have grooved and I've used dimpled and grooved - both from MTEC and same manufacturer and I couldn't say that I've ever noticed the noise. My car has no sound deadening and a stripped interior.

Charlie
Old 20-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Touring Car Spares

Because EBC pads are awful ,change them to anything else and it will cure the problem !
Old 20-11-2009, 03:56 PM
ianbobo
oohmamama

Charlie, read your blog about your Sierra Cosworth race history: very interesting reading + viewing + wish you every success in your cosworth racing career.

I have inspected both the rotors and the pads: as i said the front rotors are at the end of their life and have some circular ridges + the grooves on their inner faces (facing engine) no longer have sharp edges but instead rusty slopes meeting the braking surface. There were some polished raised circular areas on the pads matching the contours of the rotors faces. I filed off the latter and refreshed the brake pad's contact surface. again same noise - no improvement at all .

Noise (heavy humming + some vibration) is only evident when the brakes get hot after say decelarating from 90mph to a stop. I do not know the make of my rotors, there is nothing stamped on them to identify.

whats your verdict??
thanks
Old 20-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Char1ie

My verdict? If you have vibration and the discs are heavily worn then replace them. As Tony says, EBC pads are crap - green, red, yellow, all of them.

Thanks for the blog comments. Project re-shell coming and the yellow shell will be for sale soon.

Charlie
Old 20-11-2009, 05:26 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the pads are tapering, this will lead to noise, and warped discs, as they are being pushed more on one side than the other, a major problem with single piston sliding calipers, where the side opposite the piston wears more.
Pad material can cause noise, but would do so from new, using discs with either holes/grooves or combo will give noise, the sharp edges deglaze the surface of the pads, it is physically impossible to do this without creating noise, as it is done by friction, this will be worse when hot as the pads will glaze, as the resin bonding agent in the pad will come to the surface more, not a fault at all.
There is nothing wrong with EBC pads, personally I find the greenstuff just too weedy, but reds/yellows are awsome, as can be seen by most police forces using them on traffic cars, few makes are police approved, (certain)ebc are.
tabetha
Old 20-11-2009, 06:22 PM
ianbobo
oohmamama

Just because I hear the humming when applying the brakes for a prolonged time could this be only attributed to brake wear or could it be some other fault: eg maybe worn cv joints or wheel bearings showing up upon brake forces? It seems to be coming more from the LHS than the RHS.

I hate to replace rotors and pads and then end with the problem unsolved. I would prefer to pin point the culprit and remedy first time.

Your help is appreciated.
Old 20-11-2009, 06:33 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

Thumbs up

I would prefer to pin point the culprit and remedy first time.

i wish that would've been possible with mine lol too , saved me a fortune lol .

lookin for discs n pads soon too have seen these mtech on ebay aswell wondering which pads would be ok are omp any good ?
gaz

Last edited by gaz4x4cos; 20-11-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 21-11-2009, 02:31 PM
ianbobo
oohmamama

Gaz, or maybe mintex standard red box as mtec advice in there ebay shop?? Anyone using these and want comment???
Old 16-01-2010, 02:42 PM
ianbobo
oohmamama

bought mtec front rotors grooved and drilled but still havent fitted them on, so cannot yet gudge their performance. since then I discovered torn front cv joint gaiters and am waiting for these to ship from mat-lewis, then do both jobs at one go . presently looking around for some lithium complex grease to repack front wheel bearings while they are out .