Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Coilovers on a saff

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Coilovers on a saff

Whats this I am reading about having to strengthen the rear turrets to fit coilovers?

I am wanting to fit Gaz coilovers when I re-build it and this is putting me off a bit.

Anyone got any info how to get around this or is it rubbish?

Old 11-05-2009, 03:24 PM
sidewaysdave
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some people some dont depends what the cars used for? i fitted gaz coil overs to my saf, as i dont use it that much all i fitted was a rear strut brace i all so found that the springs rub a little bit so had to modify the inner arches a bit
Old 11-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by sidewaysdave
some people some dont depends what the cars used for? i fitted gaz coil overs to my saf, as i dont use it that much all i fitted was a rear strut brace i all so found that the springs rub a little bit so had to modify the inner arches a bit
'modify' the inner arches? in what way.

I will be painting the floor so I will not be happy having to modify it when its ready to be put back together......

Old 11-05-2009, 03:57 PM
sidewaysdave
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by saphcosmike
'modify' the inner arches? in what way.

I will be painting the floor so I will not be happy having to modify it when its ready to be put back together......

some people bang them in with a big hammer but i got my pannel beater(best mate) to beat mine in for me much better look finish imo
Old 11-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Ouch....I'll have to look into it then.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I have Gaz Gold on my Sapph and there's a hairs breadth between the front inside tyre walls and the struts - it's very tight - and that's on standard wheels and R888 tyres. They also rub a little on the inside of the rear turrets but I've ignored that.

I think Konis or similar springs and adjustable dampers is a better option than coilovers - lighter and they fit without rubbing. Coilovers make sense if you want to change the springs, ride height and damper settings - maybe for track use.

Charlie
Old 11-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Char1ie
I have Gaz Gold on my Sapph and there's a hairs breadth between the front inside tyre walls and the struts - it's very tight - and that's on standard wheels and R888 tyres. They also rub a little on the inside of the rear turrets but I've ignored that.

I think Konis or similar springs and adjustable dampers is a better option than coilovers - lighter and they fit without rubbing. Coilovers make sense if you want to change the springs, ride height and damper settings - maybe for track use.

Charlie
The idea is to fit Comp mo's 18's and have the option to change back to original lattice 15's when needed.

Therefore I can adjust height etc to make it look right with both sets on.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by saphcosmike
The idea is to fit Comp mo's 18's and have the option to change back to original lattice 15's when needed.

Therefore I can adjust height etc to make it look right with both sets on.
That makes sense. Maybe try to check if your 18 Comp MOs fit with the front Gaz Gold coilover. If you want a guide, see if the inside edge of your MO sits any further in the wheelarch than your Lattice.

I run Lattice alloys and R888 and I can't get a credit card in between the strut and the tyre - they don't rub though.

Actually the taller the wheel, the further away from the strut the rim will be.

Charlie
Old 11-05-2009, 05:35 PM
WongRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by sidewaysdave
i clouted mine with a hammer, it was making a terrible noise from the day i got it.
the coilovers had been rebuilt once before i got it, the previous owner must of put up with it for years!
It took me ages to track the noise down.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a ball ended hammer, and positioned that where I wanted it then hit it with another hammer, very very little needed on mine.
When I had coilovers on my d reg sierra auto, I towed extensively, very heavy things, and over 70,000 miles of ownership not a trace of a problem, had strut brace on rear turrets, towed rangeys etc with it, so a lot of weight.
tabetha
Old 11-05-2009, 05:45 PM
WongRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by tabetha
I used a ball ended hammer, and positioned that where I wanted it then hit it with another hammer, very very little needed on mine.
When I had coilovers on my d reg sierra auto, I towed extensively, very heavy things, and over 70,000 miles of ownership not a trace of a problem, had strut brace on rear turrets, towed rangeys etc with it, so a lot of weight.
tabetha
mine needed hardly anything, and it was only on the N/S too.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 PM
cossie604
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
I used a ball ended hammer, and positioned that where I wanted it then hit it with another hammer
You bad lad...what would a health and safety officer say to that