Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

steering wheel judder under braking... help

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default steering wheel judder under braking... help

I am getting a very annoying judder through the steering wheel whilst breaking, I have changed disks, Inner TCA bushes, anti roll bar bushes and the bushes that the ARB sit in, in the TCA

only thing left that I can think of, is track rod ends, but as i am fed up of talking it all apart then putting it back to gether is there any thing else worth changing? can you change the spherical joint into the bottom of the hub for example?
Old 06-05-2009, 01:11 PM
robrs2
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Check the top mount for the shocker or even the shockers. The top rubbers wear or the top lower cup can split.
Or the rack could be worn
Old 06-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Staffi
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

First ting that srang to mind before reading yout thread Rich was discs, strange one this, especially with all that, you,ve changed already...
Old 06-05-2009, 02:22 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation same problem mate !!! shock !!!

i'm having same problem ,had already done tca's , poly bushes all round , shockers , springs , poly top mounts over the last 6-12 months , anyway needed a hub on pass side due to a clunk so replaced hub , put standard discs on cos old ones were shot , great no knocking on bumps anymore but now i have a steering judder under breaking (not there before )and at about 60 -70 on motorway am guessing this is tracking tho .

Its been apart and back together that many times its becoming a joke , are standard discs left or right handed i don't think they are are they ??? also when moving slow the abs has started to bite through the pedal even on solid surface ? never did this before discs either ?

don't want to go spend another £30 quid on alignment and have to take apart again and redo again . spent a fortune on aignment alone .

cheers
gaz .
Old 06-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Rolls
PassionFord Post Troll

have you had teh wheels balanced recently?
Old 06-05-2009, 02:53 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

i had wheels balanced in march when they were refurbed , its only started to judder under braking since new discs and hub work last week ,
just been under & steering rack has a very slight movement in the arms both sides not on the track rod end the castle nuts are tight with no play , this is causing about 1mm movement when levering the wheel , could this cause the judder or is this normal , would this movement adjust out when tracking is done ? rack doesnt seem to move just the arms ?
sorry if i've hi jacked your thread but it seem's we may have the same problem .

cheers
gaz .
Old 06-05-2009, 02:56 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

twellsie , is your abs playing silly buggers too ? i.e clicking though the pedal at low speed ? mine has never done this before and has statred to do that too
Old 06-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gaz4x4cos
twellsie , is your abs playing silly buggers too ? i.e clicking though the pedal at low speed ? mine has never done this before and has statred to do that too
it doesnt at the moment, but it does quite frequently, usually the ABS sensors need cleaning.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:32 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gaz4x4cos
i had wheels balanced in march when they were refurbed , its only started to judder under braking since new discs and hub work last week ,
just been under & steering rack has a very slight movement in the arms both sides not on the track rod end the castle nuts are tight with no play , this is causing about 1mm movement when levering the wheel , could this cause the judder or is this normal , would this movement adjust out when tracking is done ? rack doesnt seem to move just the arms ?
sorry if i've hi jacked your thread but it seem's we may have the same problem .

cheers
gaz .
Was the engine running when you checked the rack ?, as some can have play that is taken up when the rack is powered(engine running).
I would look at hubs faces with a dial gauge next.
tabetha
Old 06-05-2009, 08:56 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by tabetha
Was the engine running when you checked the rack ?, as some can have play that is taken up when the rack is powered(engine running).
I would look at hubs faces with a dial gauge next.
tabetha
no engine was off i see your point , am going to take the discs off again and make sure every thing is sqaure , could a drive shaft /cv joint cause this just under breaking ? cos i've had a couple of cv joint sounding clicks tonight to when manouvering in and out of drive parking up etc and it got me thinking how easy the shaft came away from old hub no pulling just slid out on the passenger side ??
Old 06-05-2009, 08:58 PM
gaz4x4cos
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Twellsie
it doesnt at the moment, but it does quite frequently, usually the ABS sensors need cleaning.
will clean all the brakes calipers sensors etc at same time me thinks .

cheers .
gaz .
Old 10-05-2009, 10:10 PM
blueovalnuttom
newbietom

Bent drive shafts could cause judder mate. can be very hard to see tho, even with the shaft in your hands. disc prob are handed i would think as they are vented. the vents should be facing forward to allow the air in i believe. stick a biro in one of the gaps. should lean to the front of the car
Old 10-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Have you checked for play in the steering coloumn? If it has any movement it can cause it judder when braking.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:21 AM
2wdsapph
Virgin

is there any play in the lwr ball joint ???
Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 PM
BDBCOS
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by Staffi
First ting that srang to mind before reading yout thread Rich was discs, strange one this, especially with all that, you,ve changed already...
I would agree with you . I had the same problem with my 3 door under braking. Put new discs on, problem solved. I have 315mm discs on ali bells. New discs supplied by Godspeed Brakes. I had a new set of discs fitted on a company car in my working days, and one of them was distorted. Might pay to check yours.
Old 14-06-2009, 06:54 PM
truegaurd1-safety
MK1 Focus Owner

Default Another possible cause

Hi

You have changed the wheel hubs; might be worth getting the steering knuckles checked.
WHY?????? see below.........

After 78,000 miles on my MK1 TDI my 'wheel bearing had been slipping within the wheel hub (where it is seated) and the subsequent movement has caused the wheel hub to wear the steering knuckle' to quote the Ford Main Dealer technician.
I kept the old parts; the technician had told the truth.

Shocking that Ford cannot manufacture wheel hubs and bearings that are up to the standard you might expect.
I asked 'if this would be considered normal wear and tear on a vehicle of this age and mileage, in this great condition', the Ford Main Dealer and his colleagues replies were 'no, it is not normal wear and tear'.......

'The wheel bearing was not even worn' to quote the same tecnician again.

This all cost in excess of £420 to repair (at the same Ford Main dealer).
It made a 'clonk' noise when pulling off and sounded like a worn cv joint or wheel bearing when cornering.
It also caused steering wheel judder when moving, which was MASSIVELY amplified when braking from upwards of 50mph.

Steering knuckle cost £300.

I still have very slight 'left to right' steering wheel movement when driving straight, and the judder under breaking is still present - but MASSIVELY reduced.
I had the other bearing changed within one month of the first (as they wear in pairs) the hub was fine (same Ford Main Dealer again so I ensured I referred them to the history of the other side!).

The wheels are all balanced every 6 months, the car's steering has been 'laser aligned' and it has new discs and pads on the front too; all within the last 12 months. I have had the car only 14 months now; it has had Full Ford Main Dealer services and MOT's for the last two years - as I took it to them. They failed to notice the 'clonk noise' in their road tests that first caused my concern and led to this disaster of events!

I'm now getting the inner tie rods, ball joints, drop links, track rod ends, front bushes all round, and top mounts and bushes checked...... although the judder under braking is slight; it really gets on my nerves!
My tenacity will win in the end............
Old 14-06-2009, 06:59 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 428 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Saaamon
Have you checked for play in the steering coloumn? If it has any movement it can cause it judder when braking.
+1
cheers james