Ford Range This section is for other models in the Ford range.

how much bhp from a mk6 1.4 duratech engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 04:36 AM
Pauls mk6 flame
just went F-L-Y-I-N-G by

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much bhp from a mk6 1.4 duratech engine?

i have a 2004 mk6 fiesta flame with a 1.4petrol engine
was wondering of a rough estimate on how much power the following would give,
full cat back exhaust system,
induction kit,
high lift cams,
re-map
Old 04-11-2010, 06:01 AM
rsfido_1989
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it really worth it on the 1.4?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:43 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

What he said ^^ it would cost you quite a bit and you wouldn't get much gain.

Induction kits also way over hyped as well and do more harm than good in some cases.

Martin
Old 04-11-2010, 04:32 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly, it's probably not a duratec engine, more likely to be a zetec engine with 'duratec' written on the top. You're never going to get masses of power, Induction mods, fullexhaust (and mani) will see 10bhp or so, some decent cams can take that up more so, but still not much for the cost. Best bet would be to find a 2nd hand st150 engine, and stick that in.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:59 PM
martysmartie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 102 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
Firstly, it's probably not a duratec engine, more likely to be a zetec engine with 'duratec' written on the top. You're never going to get masses of power, Induction mods, fullexhaust (and mani) will see 10bhp or so, some decent cams can take that up more so, but still not much for the cost. Best bet would be to find a 2nd hand st150 engine, and stick that in.
Nope his right what his saying, it is part of the Sigma family and was renamed Duratec but in older speak it's a Zetec SE engine.

Martin
Old 11-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Ebz_09
Virgin

How much would a 2nd hand ST150 engine cost on average and is it a case of going to the scrappys and finding one...
Old 13-04-2011, 02:28 AM
bowenguitarskater
Virgin

More than likley eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Fiesta-mk...item20b84156ed

There's a few on there.
Or you could go to pumaspeed if you got plenty of cash and order the american 2.3 unit with vvt.

To be fair though if you're looking at modifying you have a fiesta flame that you could get £1500 - £2500 depending on miles etc. Probably £100 KnN, £400 exhaust fitted, £550 cams fitted and remap around £300

That's 3.8k before you tell insurance that you have modded it
For that money you can get a Zetec-s or 4 grand for an ST Which are both quicker, better handling, better at braking and better equipped than your car would be after you spend the money. Plus, you then have an ST not just another fiesta
Old 20-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Ebz_09
Virgin

What happens if you cant afford the insurance on an ST and and engine swap is out of the question...

Would you just not do any mods to a Mk6 1.4 fiesta... I know you wont see much BHP increase but what about acceleration or making the car feel abit nippier or even making it sound nicer...

What Mods do you guys suggest if this was the only car that you had to work with... my car feels so inferior now...

Last edited by Ebz_09; 20-04-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 20-04-2011, 08:38 PM
bowenguitarskater
Virgin

Originally Posted by Ebz_09
What happens if you cant afford the insurance on an ST and and engine swap is out of the question...
What Mods do you guys suggest if this was the only car that you had to work with... my car feels so inferior now...

Just do Air filter (quality, not universal) and cat-back exhaust. sound nicer and probably rev a bit easier. Decent suspension and tyres would make it a giggle on the twisties.

I once had a SEAT cordoba with a 2.0 16v in, the come in at 150bhp. I was chasing down this stripped out polo with ease but we hit a set of sharp bends, i braked hard and he just kept his foot down. Dont under-estimate the power of handling to put a smile on your face.

Also don't feel inferior, everyones gotta start with what they can get, got my licence at 17, didn't have a car over 80bhp till i was 21

Last edited by bowenguitarskater; 20-04-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 21-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Ebz_09
Virgin

Originally Posted by bowenguitarskater
Just do Air filter (quality, not universal) and cat-back exhaust. sound nicer and probably rev a bit easier. Decent suspension and tyres would make it a giggle on the twisties.

I once had a SEAT cordoba with a 2.0 16v in, the come in at 150bhp. I was chasing down this stripped out polo with ease but we hit a set of sharp bends, i braked hard and he just kept his foot down. Dont under-estimate the power of handling to put a smile on your face.

Also don't feel inferior, everyones gotta start with what they can get, got my licence at 17, didn't have a car over 80bhp till i was 21

Ahh thanks mate! I know you have said alot but would it be pushing it to ask what size alloys to get. Ive seen people put 17s on the fiesta and they look seriously good. However would it be wiser to go for 16s and lower the car by 35mm at the front and mabey 30mm at the back. Would that be the best combination for performance and handling

As regards to better suspension would that mean a coilover kit or would I get away with lowering springs like Eibach.

Lastly what exhaust system do you recommend, I need something that wont sound over exagerated but a nice even smooth tone.

Im greatful for the help. i really appreciate it!
Old 21-04-2011, 09:16 AM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on the 1.4 there really isn't any point in doing mods for power. the best thing you can do is a full pucka service wih fuel filter and plugs etc to make sure its running spot on.

if you want it to sound nice then a cat back exhaust would be the way to go and then brake and suspension upgrades to make the most out of the car.

BEFORE you do anything though check with your insurance company first as mods usually mean higher premiums and if you don't declare them you will invalidate your insurance and be fucked if you have a crash as they will NOT pay out and you may well be prosecuted aswell.

if you don't mind me asking, how old are you and how long have you been driving/number of years no claims bonus??
Old 21-04-2011, 05:40 PM
bowenguitarskater
Virgin

Ahh thanks mate! I know you have said alot but would it be pushing it to ask what size alloys to get. Ive seen people put 17s on the fiesta and they look seriously good. However would it be wiser to go for 16s and lower the car by 35mm at the front and mabey 30mm at the back. Would that be the best combination for performance and handling

As regards to better suspension would that mean a coilover kit or would I get away with lowering springs like Eibach.

Lastly what exhaust system do you recommend, I need something that wont sound over exagerated but a nice even smooth tone.

Im greatful for the help. i really appreciate it!
Well i'm not speaking as a Fiesta owner, but am looking to get one the end of this summer and i've been a big fan since its release so i've read ALOT about them.

I'm just saying what goes for all cars really, if you dont have the power just do as said above, make sure all is spot on with the engine, cat back exhaust and filter. Then suspension, you dont have much poke so a decent set of fast road pads on the front would be fine.

Generally a spring and damper set is the best way to go, coilovers look badass but pretty expensive and harsh ride. Springs are ok if your dampers are in top condition anyway.

Best bet for advice on brands would be to sign up to fiestastoc.com or give pumaspeed a call
Or stick with reputable brands like eibach, spax, koni. Scorpion, ashley, etc.

might wanna have a look here

http://www.pumaspeed.co.uk/showdetai...?productID=636

Last edited by bowenguitarskater; 21-04-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 26-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Ebz_09
Virgin

Originally Posted by phil_focus
on the 1.4 there really isn't any point in doing mods for power. the best thing you can do is a full pucka service wih fuel filter and plugs etc to make sure its running spot on.

if you want it to sound nice then a cat back exhaust would be the way to go and then brake and suspension upgrades to make the most out of the car.

BEFORE you do anything though check with your insurance company first as mods usually mean higher premiums and if you don't declare them you will invalidate your insurance and be fucked if you have a crash as they will NOT pay out and you may well be prosecuted aswell.

if you don't mind me asking, how old are you and how long have you been driving/number of years no claims bonus??

Sorry for the delay guys... I fully understand what must be done now Im 21 by the way and have nearly 2years no claims bonus. Insurance is not too bad as I am in a group insurance policy and only have to pay 600 fully comp.

Im going to go to my local ford dealers to get a full service and diagnostics test (thats going to cost an arm and a leg) to get my baby running smooth again then Ill go and get a full exhaust system along with some k&n air filters, ebachi lowering springs along with some new dampers, new 16inch alloys and tyre set and some uprated brake pads... tym to put in the over time at work...

Thanks everyone!!
Old 16-04-2016, 07:59 PM
zetecconversion
Virgin

Default fiesta man

Sorry for the delay guys... I fully understand what must be done now Im 21 by the way and have nearly 2years no claims bonus. Insurance is not too bad as I am in a group insurance policy and only have to pay 600 fully comp.

Im going to go to my local ford dealers to get a full service and diagnostics test (thats going to cost an arm and a leg) to get my baby running smooth again then Ill go and get a full exhaust system along with some k&n air filters, ebachi lowering springs along with some new dampers, new 16inch alloys and tyre set and some uprated brake pads... tym to put in the over time at work...

Thanks everyone!!
Its always worth tuning these engines, get in touch with a ginetta cars tuning company as the Mazda/duratec 1398cc engine is used in these race cars. They can take up to 170bhp without major modification, although you will need a turbo conversation to see this sort of power. Another route is throttle bodies and de-cat but do bear in mind MOT test time and insurance for a modified car will be very expensive.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:37 PM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by martysmartie
Nope his right what his saying, it is part of the Sigma family and was renamed Duratec but in older speak it's a Zetec SE engine.

Martin
Hi guys i have spent the morning trying to figure out what the cambelt interval is on this damn engine in order to do that i need to know what type of engine this car has, the car i'm talking about is a mk6 ford fiesta flame 1.4 04 reg, i've googled it, looked through the service manuals etc which is confusing as hell, and i found a website called http://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/ which refers to the car as both duratec and zetec DOHC, i'm still not sure if this engine is a duratec or a zetec se or whatever, it states duratec on the airbox.... anyway after all this i have come to the conclusion the cambelt needs to be done at 100000miles or 10years which ever comes first, can anyone confirm this is correct
Old 02-07-2016, 05:49 PM
zetecconversion
Virgin

Default cambelt change

Originally Posted by Hardeep_Singh
Hi guys i have spent the morning trying to figure out what the cambelt interval is on this damn engine in order to do that i need to know what type of engine this car has, the car i'm talking about is a mk6 ford fiesta flame 1.4 04 reg, i've googled it, looked through the service manuals etc which is confusing as hell, and i found a website called http://www.etis.ford.com/fordservice/ which refers to the car as both duratec and zetec DOHC, i'm still not sure if this engine is a duratec or a zetec se or whatever, it states duratec on the airbox.... anyway after all this i have come to the conclusion the cambelt needs to be done at 100000miles or 10years which ever comes first, can anyone confirm this is correct
Hi Mr Singh

Cambelt on the 1388, 1.4 16v Duratec/Mazda engine is every 60,000 miles. Best to change the waterpump and tensioner if the car is on over 120,000 mls. Fairly straightforward job to do yourself although access is tight. Wheel arch liner out job!. Or recon on £250+ for a good garage to do it.
Make sure you do change it because this engine will bend its valves causing major engine damage if it breaks.
Old 05-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Hardeep_Singh
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by zetecconversion
Hi Mr Singh

Cambelt on the 1388, 1.4 16v Duratec/Mazda engine is every 60,000 miles. Best to change the waterpump and tensioner if the car is on over 120,000 mls. Fairly straightforward job to do yourself although access is tight. Wheel arch liner out job!. Or recon on £250+ for a good garage to do it.
Make sure you do change it because this engine will bend its valves causing major engine damage if it breaks.
60K thats a new one lol where did you find that out, anyway i got the timing belt done done as there was no records of it ever being done in the past, i did ask the mechanic to do the water pump too but after he saw it he didn't change it as it doesn't run off the timing belt

still not sure on the timing belt interval on this car