Ford Puma Discuss the Ford Puma here!

Puma 1.7 top end rattle (loud!)

Search this Thread

Old 27-01-2011, 04:40 PM
dirntknow
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puma 1.7 top end rattle (loud!)

Hi folks, it's my first post in here so hello and beers are on me (if there's any pennies left!)!
My wife's Puma 1.7 has had a light rattle on deccelaration and at certain revs for a while now but never been loud or too worrying til today. It's now there all the time when running and very loud. Not noticed any loss of power and seems to run ok but get quite vibey right at the end. Should have fixed it sooner/pulled up/stopped the engine sooner but the family have not had a good few months recently so put any car repairs/attention on the back burner.
Called AA out and he thinks it sounds pretty bad top end but could do no more. I'm no expert on multi-cylinder 4 strokes but have enough knowledge to have a look and understand a few things.
Noise sounds top end, camshaft/cyl head area. Timing belt is good and doesn't appear to have jumped a tooth. Noise apart, the engine seems to be happy to tick over rev (not that i've allowed it to so for too long!). Strange thing is, with plugs out the engine will turn with no interference. Plugs in, HT leads disconnected the engine still turns with no interference or noise. Only on firing and running does the noise start. If it had dropped a valve i'd have expected noise and erratic running at least? I believe there's something on the end of one of the cams for variable cam timing, could it be that failed or am I looking at head off etc?

I don't have a manual (yet) but can anyone point me to a link for an online microfiche to get an idea whats under the timing belt cover?

Last edited by dirntknow; 27-01-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 27-01-2011, 07:08 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be getting a manual, and at the least stripping the lifters out.
tabetha
Old 27-01-2011, 07:44 PM
dirntknow
Virgin

Yeah, I 'll pop and get a manual in the morning. What's intriguing me is the lack of noise when cranking. I've dropped a valve on a Brava after the waterpump collapsed and it was clear cut what it had done. Had the head refurbed and rebuilt, ran fine for 3 more years til a numpty wrote it off!!
Old 28-01-2011, 09:19 AM
bangerboy33
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

See my opinion on the 2 litre zetec rattling thread!
Old 28-01-2011, 10:42 AM
silky16v
Get on That!

I'd be checked the oil pressure with a gauge and at very least a compression test that way you will know that you've had no valve contact
I've had an XE engine that ran perfect but was dropping compression on 1 cylinder it had touched the valve and making a horrible top end rattle
Old 28-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

I thought it was my top end that was noisy until the engine got stripped to find the bottom crankshaft bearing had decided it didn't want to play anymore.

The engine is detailed in the Autodata books (I think), but there isn't a Haynes before you go looking.
Old 28-01-2011, 07:26 PM
dirntknow
Virgin

Tried to get a manual today but Haynes Fiesta 95-02 was as near as I could find. Even then there's no mention on the cover of the 1.7 engine so may leave it unwrapped for a refund tomorrow.
Why would it crank over with no noise at all, that's what's intriguing me....
Old 28-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe because it's only when you get pressure from your petrol / air mix exploding that it's stressing a bearing or component?

There isn't a retail book for the 1.7 Engine (or in fact the Puma as Haynes say there wasn't enough demand) but the Autodata book does / might.
Old 30-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Cossie Tom
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

It won't be the litters as they are solid unless 1 of the shims has popped out. I'd be trying the variable valve timing pulley first as they play up.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM
PumaJon
Virgin

Like Puma dal says the 3397 is the closes you get, and it does not cover the VCT at all.
If you only get the rattle when its firing are you sure the exhaust manifold is not cracked or missing a fixing?
For good pics it might be worth a visit to a Puma site, I know a friendly one called projectpuma.