Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

Puma Ka project

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 02:35 PM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puma Ka project

yea yea I know it's a common topic. But I can't seem to find what I need on this

Oh and hi again. I've been away for a year havin a baby. So I thought I would start of with a cheap project

Ok picked up a analogue dashed v reg 1.7 puma. £285 happy days

Couple quick question now:

1: can I put the whole puma dash into the ka

2: which gearbox shall I use. , the ka or puma one. Pro,s and con,s

3: with the whole dash comin out anyway is it easier to change the whole loom over ?

4: anything else I mite need to know to make this easier for me

Cheers. Ben
Old 10-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

1. Yes with a small bit of cut and shut. Basic width and depth is close enough, same heater unit etc.

2. Both can be used. A lot of people for simplicity keep the KA box and shafts etc for simplicity as it solves g/box mount issue. However, puma set up is better with equal length shafts etc. However it wont bolt up dead easily. You need a custom engine mount anyway so knocking up a custom gearbox and torque link isnt really a big deal. Also you may need to cut and shut the wishbones or cut and shut a puma subframe to fit as the track is slightly different and ideally you want it all from one model to make it easier to fix and to keep geometry and ability to bolt together spares the same.

Had i continued with my ka project I was planning on fitting a puma subframe to the ka with some relatively simple shell and subframe tweeks.

3. Changing the whole loom is fairly easy like that although you will need to think about how you will fit the battery junction box in engine bay plus a few connectors need swapping over.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:38 PM
Ben26
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok cool mate nice info. It's nice that there are still people out there that will take a bit of time out to help people still. Happy days

So if I do use the ka box will the starter be a problem ?

Also what's your opinion on using the puma PAS ?

Last edited by Ben26; 10-08-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Most the KA's ive seen the starter is on the front of box so cant see an issue. Certainly wont be an issue if you use puma box etc.

Puma PAS works fine. You can use the PAS pump with KA rack or puma rack. If you use puma subframe you may want to use the puma rack anyway as it bolts to the subframe where as on the KA it bolts to the bulkhead instead.