Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Mk3 mondeo 2.2 Tdci will not start after fuel filter change

Search this Thread

Old 19-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Rob Holland
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mk3 mondeo 2.2 Tdci will not start after fuel filter change

morning everyone, and thanks for letting me join!

I was hoping someone could shed some light on a starting issue i have with my mondeo.

Story .................. this car has always started on the first turn of the key with no issues at all. about a week ago the idle became a bit lumpy but still ran fine and started straight away. as i went to leave work on monday it took a good few turns of the engine before it caught and fired up. it seemed to be running fine but as i got onto the dual carriageway and put my foot down she lost power and the coil light began flashing! dreaded limp mode :-(

after a little bit of research on various forums ide read that it may just be that the fuel filter was blocked (wishful thinking) and i knew it was overdue a service. so i changed the fuel filter .................. then it took me bloody ages to get it bled up. in the end i made an adapter out of the hose tail off the old filter and a length of clear hose. i filled the filter, sucked the fuel through form the tank and filled the rail by attaching the adapter to the rail side of the hose and let the car draw the fuel through. eventually she started and ran for a good 30 minutes on the drive at various revs. i took her for a drive and again as i accelerated hard she went into limp mode. i stopped and restarted the engine with no problem, the limp mode was gone, but returned as soon as i accelerated again. i got the car home, and tried stopping and restarting again with no issues.

at least she starts and runs i thought.... but the next morning, there was no chance she was starting, just cranking and cranking without even a splutter of firing. so, that night after work i bled her back up again and she started eventually. repeated the same as the night before let it run for ages, took her for a drive etc.

the next morning was exactly the same. no chance of firing!!!!

does anyone have any suggestions as to why she wont start in the morning?

could the fuel be running back? or did i not bleed it correctly?

surely taking it out for a drive would have dragged the fuel through from the tank?

should i try fitting a non return valve in the tank line?

im thinking the limp mode might be a different issue to the starting, but i dont know?

whats baffling me is that she was running after i bled her but not after leaving it over night.

please can anyone suggest something? im going to put a code reader on her to see what faults shes throwing up.

any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA Rob

Old 19-09-2019, 02:15 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Needs codes reading as you know.