Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

tdci egr blanked now problems

Search this Thread

Old 21-02-2013, 12:07 PM
gary1973
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tdci egr blanked now problems

hello

i blanked the egr valve off yesterday on my mondeo 2 litre tdci its an 03 reg

on a 40 mile round trip later i noticed a whine coming from the engine and it seamed like it was as i set off from stand still and truning the wheel .

when i got back home i looked under bonnet and found power steering fluid been leaking this only happened since i blanked egr valve off

anybody any ideas why this is ?

thank you
Old 21-02-2013, 12:10 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

There's no connection, unless you knocked something when under the engine bay, it's just a coincidence.
Old 21-02-2013, 12:28 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As said. Completely separate systems so its either coincidence or your nocked something and didn't realise.
Old 21-02-2013, 12:37 PM
gary1973
Virgin

I just checked nothing loose , fluid looks likes it come out from the top , cap is on tight
Old 21-02-2013, 12:42 PM
doga-ot
wesskitzo

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Check your pulleys if there signs of fluid on it or on powersteering pulley if there is pump may have gone. Fluid will only leak whilst engine is runningand steering being turned
Old 25-02-2013, 12:35 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Try cleaning it all off then running the engine for a bit and turning the wheel. You'll soon see where its all coming from.
Old 25-02-2013, 03:56 PM
wulliegunn
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

why blank it off? If its smokin that bad it wont be your egr valve.It'll just be a worn engine.better off with a rebuild.save Ł in long run
Old 26-02-2013, 09:21 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by wulliegunn
why blank it off? If its smokin that bad it wont be your egr valve.It'll just be a worn engine.better off with a rebuild.save Ł in long run
A rebuild is cheaper in the long run than a Ł5 blanking plate... Er, are you sure?
Old 26-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

What's the idea/advantages behind blanking it of exactly?
Old 26-02-2013, 09:56 AM
CosworthGuy
3dr Cosworth owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cragrat
What's the idea/advantages behind blanking it of exactly?
Probably prevention rather than cure
Old 26-02-2013, 11:59 AM
wulliegunn

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
A rebuild is cheaper in the long run than a Ł5 blanking plate... Er, are you sure?
Yep. You're tryin to cut corners with an engine,designed with really tight tolerances. Im in same predicament with my gearbox synchros,but am spending a painful Ł1k to let ford do it,& get proper OEM parts. Dont like doing it, but i know i'll get another 100k out of this box,maybe more. Ive done the EGR blanking before,& about 4months later regretted it as it was only masking the real problem. Found that along with remapping & not havin upgraded icooler,there was bore-wash etc,& the engine was running at silly temps. Is your car remapped by the way?
Old 26-02-2013, 12:06 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Yep. You're tryin to cut corners with an engine,designed with really tight tolerances. Im in same predicament with my gearbox synchros,but am spending a painful Ł1k to let ford do it,& get proper OEM parts. Dont like doing it, but i know i'll get another 100k out of this box,maybe more. Ive done the EGR blanking before,& about 4months later regretted it as it was only masking the real problem. Found that along with remapping & not havin upgraded icooler,there was bore-wash etc,& the engine was running at silly temps. Is your car remapped by the way?
Blanking the EGR isn't cutting corners. It's a way of preventing it from causing other issues with the engine. It's a badly designed component which works fine when new, but can quickly start to cause problems. It's more of a preventative, than a bodge.

Why not just get a second hand gearbox for a fraction of the cost? Even if you end up getting through three it will work out cheaper surely?
Old 26-02-2013, 12:21 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Erm, blanking the EGR does not cause bore wash.

EGR systems by their very nature recirculate shitty exhaust gasses back into the inlet manifold. Great when brand new for cutting emmisions but give it a few years and your egr valve, inlet manifold and inlet ports begin to block up with horrible deposits which causes a restriction, underperformance from teh engine and running problems.

To cure these problems you need to clean out the inlet system and blank the EGR off. This is then preventative for the future.

Simple.
Old 26-02-2013, 01:26 PM
wulliegunn

"along with".not gonna argue
my point being you dont HAVE to blank your egr. Its the underlying problem thats causing it. I know about emissions blah blah. Believe me,your engine is worn,thats all
Old 26-02-2013, 01:29 PM
wulliegunn

thats the reason folk end up spending twice as much. 2nd hand is false economy.Id rather pay 800-1000 and have a mint 100% running car with 100% working gearbox. Even some companies sellin refurbd boxes are fulla crap(just a 2nd hand box full stop) Same with egr blankin etc. Just get the fekin egr/manifold out n clean it. Ya's are all cutting corners,believe me

Last edited by wulliegunn; 26-02-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 26-02-2013, 01:50 PM
McGoo 69
Advanced PassionFord User

don't really want to get into a debate but blanking a egr valve isnt cutting corners.. and a engine rebuild isnt the solution either.

wulliegunn you've already admitted that you've sent your car to ford to get it sorted.. meaning you've never got your hands dirty and had a look at the effects the egr does to other components of the engine or taken the time to find out what the egr is?

my dad has the 2.2tdci and we had egr problems going into limp home mode.. we checked the codes of the car and it had a water temp sensor fault and a egr fault, as we'd just bought the car i fitted a new temp sensor and blanked of the egr so we could monitor the problem before paying for a new egr.

the blanked egr fixed the problems short term but as the cars ecu knew the egr was missing as soon as it realized there was no signal it would automatically put it back in limp mode.. on older models its a vacuum operated egr so limp mode shouldnt be affected.

in the end we changed the egr for a jaguar unit to save hassle of reseting limp mode, but when i changed it i removed the inlet manifold and the amount of carbon build up was horrible and realy shouldnt be in a inlet manifold and its only there due to the recycling of exhaust gases.. i gave every part a clean in the egr system to free up the solid carbon affecting components by restricting them from there intended size

ideally id like to blank the egr of and fit some sort of relay to trick the car into thinking its working.. saving the engine of being filled with carbon which will harm mpg and emissions more than a egr did to help them in the first place.. but no body has made that solution the closist you can get is this bypass kit but i believe limp home maystill be affected

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDE...item1e76cd898f

Last edited by McGoo 69; 26-02-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 26-02-2013, 01:58 PM
wulliegunn

apart from gearboxes I do 99% of my own work. I just choose to let the guy at ford strip my box n rebuild/refurb it wi new proper parts.Its about the only part of engine i WONT mess about with. This egr arguement aint goin anywhere as I cant prove that it is definitely not going to improve your smoke problem & i admit that,but at the same token,you cant prove either that its going to cure your smoke. I have a feeling it'll return,but hope youre right,as Ive owned a smokey 406 & it was embarrasing to drive at times,especially in summer at nights with headlights behind me
another thing,why not just clean it all out & refit?

Last edited by wulliegunn; 26-02-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 26-02-2013, 02:07 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

,why not just clean it all out & refit?
If you just clean out and refit it will just coke up the engine again. It's a component that is not fit for purpose. By blanking it off you're actually doing your engine a favour.
Old 26-02-2013, 04:05 PM
wulliegunn

So why not get an egr delete put on map? Mate had 1 on his golf.
Old 26-02-2013, 07:37 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

"along with".not gonna argue
my point being you dont HAVE to blank your egr. Its the underlying problem thats causing it. I know about emissions blah blah. Believe me,your engine is worn,thats all
Wulliegunn, you keep going on about a smoking engine which is not the OP's problem. He has a power steering problem.

I've been hooked too long now and I'm bored so I'm leaving his thread. Bye
Old 26-02-2013, 07:49 PM
cossiejay

Blanking the EGR isn't cutting corners. It's a way of preventing it from causing other issues with the engine. It's a badly designed component which works fine when new, but can quickly start to cause problems. It's more of a preventative, than a bodge.

Why not just get a second hand gearbox for a fraction of the cost? Even if you end up getting through three it will work out cheaper surely?
my brother has done this on his 2005 tdci 130 due to the turbo vanes kept coking up and stoping the aculator working since the blanking plate he has had no problems and it even passed the mot last week with it fitted the engine light came on but I turned it off and it has not come on since better mpg as well he says
Old 26-02-2013, 10:41 PM
McGoo 69

So why not get an egr delete put on map? Mate had 1 on his golf.
it just simply doesnt work on mondeos. you cannot delete the egr map, many people have tried and most have failed

it can easily be done on other brands not on the mk3 mondeos though with electric egr..
Old 27-02-2013, 01:54 AM
Mr.T
PassionFord Post Troll

you do know what the EGR system is all about right? Then you would know that recycling old exhaust gasses is never a good thing. EGR is a problem on many cars from the beginning. It never worked right.
Old 27-02-2013, 01:01 PM
wulliegunn

whats failed tho,when theyve tried to delete it from the map?what cant cope,thats making this procedure fail,dya know?
and no mate dont know what egr is.duh lol
Old 27-02-2013, 01:02 PM
wulliegunn

Originally Posted by Mr.T
you do know what the EGR system is all about right? Then you would know that recycling old exhaust gasses is never a good thing. EGR is a problem on many cars from the beginning. It never worked right.
and you speak from how much experience/amount of yrs study?
Old 27-02-2013, 03:07 PM
cossiejay

Originally Posted by Mr.T
100% agree I have been a mechanic for 25 years Vauxhall,saab,renault and fords suffer fron egr valves
Old 27-02-2013, 03:43 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

whats failed tho,when theyve tried to delete it from the map?what cant cope,thats making this procedure fail,dya know?
and no mate dont know what egr is.duh lol
You've entered into a discussion about a component you know nothing about. Not the wisest of ideas.

On the earlier Euro3 Mondeos the EGR is vacuum operated, so not part of the ECU. I removed mine completely on the Mk3 I had. Got better MPG, better performance, and no downsides other than a slight increase the Hydrocarbon emissions.

On virtually all modern EGR-equipped diesels the EGR is best blanked off once the car gets past a couple of years of age.
Old 16-04-2017, 06:43 PM
Dean Lincoln
Virgin

It's probably the injectors worn out if it's black smoke if it's blue the engine
Old 02-10-2019, 09:41 AM
BDBCOS
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

I blanked my EGR valve a couple of years ago. I have a 2007 ST TDCI. It runs much better and smoother. Only downside is engine management light on all of the time. I can live with that. To my mind, if there are cooling, or oil pressure problems or generator problems, these are covered by their own warning lights. , I would If the car seemed to be having another issue elsewhere I would have the codes read.