General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mondeo 2012 1.6 Tdci Engine Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Passey83
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo 2012 1.6 Tdci Engine Malfunction

Hi Guys,

I'm a new member here so hoping for as much assistance as possible.

On Saturday i was driving home and my car started stuttering, fuel light came on and the range displayed '0 miles to empty'. Then 1/2 mile down the road the engine lost power completely. Now, I know that this sounds like a simple mistake by me not having fuel, however I wish it was that simple.

When I got out the car on the outward journey I know there was at least 1/3 tank in there ( I always check recently as I have had issues with the fuel gauge over the past 2 weeks).

Despite the engine cutting out, it still started, but cut out again after about a second. (it is still doing this)

When the AA arrived, they clearly didn't believe me about the fuel and put a jerry can full in. Still same thing happened, he had no idea how to fix it so just towed me home.

I spoke to my mate who is a mechanic, he told me to get a new fuel filter and he would replace it, did that yesterday. No change. He then hooked up a vacuum pump and manged to pull fuel through to the engine from the tank, although there was a lot of air in the lines, which he thought was very odd. We also went and filled up 2 more jerry cans with diesel and put them in, still no change. We calculate there is about 45-50 litres of fuel in there now, so it's definitely not empty.

Today he hooked it up to his small diagnostic computer, no fault or error is showing, despite the fact the engine malfunction message is still showing on the dash.

Has anyone got any ideas on what to do next?
Any idea what the fault could be?
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

get a mechanic to look at it, if your mechanic friend is only capable of plugging in a diagnostic machine and not actually diagnosing faults then he is not the man for the job
Old 10-05-2016, 12:02 AM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by botters
get a mechanic to look at it, if your mechanic friend is only capable of plugging in a diagnostic machine and not actually diagnosing faults then he is not the man for the job
+1. Sounds like it needs some proper time spend diagnosing that I'm afraid. I have had them be a bastard to start when ran out of fuel. Is the fuel filter the plastic one with the unscrew able bleed on the top? If so u have to suck it from there with it unscrewed slightly while turning the engine over
Old 10-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Adder
Regular Contributor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

We too have difficulty in getting these to start after a filter change. We useally get them to fire with brake cleaner sprayed into the intake but, and its a big but ! Only do this if you have done it before and know what your doing.