Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Mondeo Help please

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:02 PM
mynew2
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mondeo Help please

Hi I am looking to get a Mondeo (New Shape) between to the 2001 and 2006 models, either 1.8 or 2.0 petrol is there anything I really need to look out for apart from the usual rust, knocking, bearings's

any help would be great as going to look tomorrow and Wednesday

thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 12:23 AM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To be honest, pretty much look for what you would for on any car, the petrols are pretty good if they have been looked after. as for rust, the 01-06 mk3 mondeo's don't really rust, completely different to the mk1/mk2, only place the mk3 did rust was inside on the bottom of the doors, but that was only on the very early cars, ford were made aware of the problem pretty quickly, and it was resolved on the mid/late model run cars, and they offered to do the early ones free of charge if the cars were relatively new. I had an 02 plate mk3 Zetec-S V6 for a couple of years, was a very good car, but it was only 4 years old when I bought it, so was pretty new at the time.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:21 AM
mynew2
Regular Contributor

cheers Fiddy, the ones i am looking at are between 60K and 85K is there anything that is likely to go wrong, and so all mondeos need to water pumps changed to the metal blades or was that only on the older cars
Old 03-06-2014, 09:29 AM
HaggisTurbo
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest I am sure the MK3 also needed the metal pump, Ford refused to admit there was a problem with them, It was classed as more wear and tear I would get it replaced anyway but I was under the impression it was only the V6 engines that suffered the pump probs could be wrong mind you
Old 03-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mynew2
cheers Fiddy, the ones i am looking at are between 60K and 85K is there anything that is likely to go wrong, and so all mondeos need to water pumps changed to the metal blades or was that only on the older cars
The only issue with water pumps was on the V6, Ford used a plastic impeller on the early one's, and some failed because they used cheap plastic, but that was only on the mk1 and early mk2, once they were made aware of the problem, they revised the impeller and used better plastic, and that solved the issue. Stupid thing is, they used the same engine in some Jaguars, and used a metal impeller, so on all three of my V6's, first thing I did was change the water pump for a Jaguar one, more for peace of mind than anything else. But that's not an issue on the 4 pots, was only on the V6, and by the time they started making the mk3, they were already using the revised pump.

As for anything likely to go wrong, not really mate, the only well known issue with all mk3's was rear subframe bushes, that was a common issue on everything from the bottom of the range to the ST220, but the mk3 petrol is a very good car if it's been regularly serviced and maintained, the diesel on the other hand, that was a different kettle of fish lol. But yeah mate, just do the usual checks, and make sure it's got a decent history, and you shouldn't go far wrong. I've seen a few 2 litre petrols pop head gaskets, but that wasn't a known issue with them, any car can pop a head gasket, for a number of different reasons, but head gaskets checks will be one of the first things you will look at when viewing any second hand car anyway.

Last edited by Fiddy; 03-06-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:03 AM
mynew2
Regular Contributor

Cheers Fiddy, I thought I would double check because I had to change the pump my ST24, other then checking for Mayo in the engine and any leaks and white smoke, that's about it for head checks?

I have 3 to look at all 2003 models, and with full service history, and all under 80k miles so should be able to find a decent one
Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Nath
10K+ Poster!!

Any reason in particular you're not interested in any above that mileage range? Higher mileage cars will cost less to buy and you should be able to get a better spec for your money. If they've been maintained correctly it should be as good as lower mileage one.

Just my opinion.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:59 AM
mynew2
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by Nath
Any reason in particular you're not interested in any above that mileage range? Higher mileage cars will cost less to buy and you should be able to get a better spec for your money. If they've been maintained correctly it should be as good as lower mileage one.

Just my opinion.
i have been looking at higher millage cars, i have got 3 or 4 to look at today, and then a few more tomorrow

I see a few yesterday aswell