Ford Focus ST225 (MK2) 2005-2010 Everything relating to the Mk2 ST225 preface & facelift versions from 2005 to 2010

ST 225 Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:11 PM
DICKO 1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ST 225 Exhaust?

Quick question, what exhaust would you recommend and why?
Theres loads out there but i cant decide which one would be best i want a turbo back system,i like the look of the dream science system with the 4" hard edged tailpipes because it looks nice but can anyone recommend any thing else i want it to give a nice noise but not to droney on the motorway.
Old 14-03-2013, 06:54 PM
mikej857
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If don't want it to drone then go for the DS or mountune as these are very subtle and only come alive when giving it a boot full, I have a full mongoose which when cruising doesn't drone a lot if you keep it off boost but if its on boost it drones a lot
Old 14-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Ridgey
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 120 Posts

BCS at St Helens
They'll do a quality downpipe, 100 cell sports cat and exhaust if you want.
High quality and perfrect fit.

Got that complete system on my ST.
Old 14-03-2013, 07:35 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Dreamscience system is supposed to be terrible for drone! I'm got the milltek turbo back resonated system on mine, a little louder than standard but still perfectly acceptable to take your nan shopping, not a single bit of drone either.
Old 14-03-2013, 10:20 PM
Thrustyjust

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DS system I had ( yes the later one with bigger silencers) made it unbearable in the car for drone. Backing off made your ears bleed. I bought a Ferrita system from Kalmar Union and being Volvo people they know exhausts. The difference was unbelieveable. Its quiet in the car, but give it beans and it sounds great. The only downfall is the basic round tips on the back, but thats a small price to pay for a system which has been great. I was worried about fitting a new downpipe and sportscat for increasing the noise, but has been fine as well.
Old 19-03-2013, 12:20 AM
JimbobST
Flywheel Destroyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm had heart set on DS system now not so sure
Old 19-03-2013, 04:50 AM
Paynee
Regular Contributor

Anyone know how restrictive the standard cat back system is?

I initially just intended a couple of subtle mods KN panel filter, ECU spacer, Decat and downpipe and a DS remap as i want to keep the car standard looking, outside and underbonnet as i have no intention of ever getting rid of the car.
But as time is going on im getting the urge for POWERRRRR! you know how it is!!
Old 19-03-2013, 04:51 AM
Paynee
Regular Contributor

But saying that i would still like to keep the car OE looking, so was thinking more like RS type turbo and injectors, RS intake with mountune airbox top, intercooler and a proper remap but want to know what the limitations of the standard parts are
Old 19-03-2013, 06:45 AM
Dal_
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Paynee
Anyone know how restrictive the standard cat back system is?

I initially just intended a couple of subtle mods KN panel filter, ECU spacer, Decat and downpipe and a DS remap as i want to keep the car standard looking, outside and underbonnet as i have no intention of ever getting rid of the car.
But as time is going on im getting the urge for POWERRRRR! you know how it is!!

The standard cat back isn't that restrictive - change the downpipe and get a 100/200 cell sports cat if you're just after extra power.

You could also de-resonate your standard exhaust by cutting out the middle silencer and welding in a straight pipe - that makes it a bit louder without the need to change the whole thing.
Old 22-03-2013, 11:43 PM
DICKO 1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

think im going to get the mongoose decat system looks like good value but one thing that has thrown a spanner in my plans is that ive just fitted a k&n gen2 induction kit and its totally messed up the power delivery it will some times feel flat others it will hesitate then take off like a stabbed rat so i may have to get something like a bluefin first now to try and sort it out well atleast i hope it will
Old 23-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Thrustyjust

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K and N can cause a stutter with the airflow meter and then, they do fly. I made up a trumpet and silicon hose and fitted it to the airflow meter , which has a proud rim in the air box and that helped a lot.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Rarinrob
Virgin

Default Me too

Originally Posted by Thrustyjust
The DS system I had ( yes the later one with bigger silencers) made it unbearable in the car for drone. Backing off made your ears bleed.
Apologies for reviving an ancient thread, but I just wanted to say that I wish I'd seen this a few weeks ago, before ordering a DS catback. The video of the system on the DS website makes it sound very subtle - both from inside the car and outside - and plenty of people on the STOC site were singing its praises.

So I was fairly gutted when I had it fitted and the droning started. It's fairly noisy at idle, but is really, REALLY bad when accelerating between 2000-3000rpm. I'm having to stick it in fifth gear on the motorway to keep the revs above 3000rpm, which is when the drone disappears. The mechanic at the garage where I had it fitted said he thought the drone would make him nauseous after a short while.

I'm having the exhaust taken off and sent back to DS next week for them to have a look at it. I was hoping I had a faulty one, but having seen this thread I'm now expecting them to say 'They all do this, sir'. Can't believe the time and money I'm spending on this to get it sorted!