Ford Focus ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus ST range

st170 fault code p1518

Search this Thread

Old 18-07-2011, 12:06 PM
leemcmahon
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default st170 fault code p1518

ive got this fault come up and it states its the Intake Manifold Runner Control stuck open. is there a way of fixing this as i just got a price from fords and i nearly fell off my chair. i was told that they can be repaired is this true
Old 18-07-2011, 05:20 PM
gunmetalgrey

Originally Posted by leemcmahon
ive got this fault come up and it states its the Intake Manifold Runner Control stuck open. is there a way of fixing this as i just got a price from fords and i nearly fell off my chair. i was told that they can be repaired is this true
hi, i posted thread concerning this very problem. the runner control flap is connected by a cable to the mechanism inside a little silver box behind the inlet manifold. My problem was that the little return spring, inside said silver box, that ensures the flap sits fully closed had come off of its mounting post. once remounted the problem was sorted for no money at all.

an auto electrician may well be able to fix your control box for very little money.

chris.

Last edited by gunmetalgrey; 18-07-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 18-07-2011, 08:05 PM
leemcmahon
Virgin

Originally Posted by gunmetalgrey
hi, i posted thread concerning this very problem. the runner control flap is connected by a cable to the mechanism inside a little silver box behind the inlet manifold. My problem was that the little return spring, inside said silver box, that ensures the flap sits fully closed had come off of its mounting post. once remounted the problem was sorted for no money at all.

an auto electrician may well be able to fix your control box for very little money.

chris.
nice chris, im also getting this odd sort of rattle noise aswell, since the fault occured, someone said its the box making the noise or the dsi
Old 18-07-2011, 09:04 PM
gunmetalgrey

nice chris, im also getting this odd sort of rattle noise aswell, since the fault occured, someone said its the box making the noise or the dsi

yeah mine does that also, the guys on here know much more about all this than me but there is a a sort of mini gearbox inside the silver box that drives this runner cable. i believe this is what makes the noise and it eminates from out under the dash.

the flap on mine ws actually opening and shutting, but it was not shutting fully, due to the loose return spring as i have said, therefore fooling the ecu.

chris.
Old 18-07-2011, 09:17 PM
leemcmahon
Virgin

Originally Posted by gunmetalgrey
yeah mine does that also, the guys on here know much more about all this than me but there is a a sort of mini gearbox inside the silver box that drives this runner cable. i believe this is what makes the noise and it eminates from out under the dash.

the flap on mine ws actually opening and shutting, but it was not shutting fully, due to the loose return spring as i have said, therefore fooling the ecu.

chris.
so did you repair or replace all the parts mate, also have you got a link to your thread regarding this problem

lee
Old 18-07-2011, 10:01 PM
gunmetalgrey

so did you repair or replace all the parts mate, also have you got a link to your thread regarding this problem

lee

the car was fixed under warranty which was why it cost me nowt, but all the sparky did was open up the silver control box and re-fit the return spring that was stopping the flap from shutting fully. you may find that you have a very similar problem which should be fairly cheap to repair.

my thread was un-answered and in it is just the information that i have told you, i cant be sure if the control box parts are available but your problem may be exactly the same as mine, ie not needing parts.

chris
Old 25-09-2011, 11:48 PM
tezmanian devil
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

i have this very fault with my st170, mine says...

viriable tract intake manifold system bank 1 open.

can someone shed abit more light on this, if its something i might be able to fix il be a very happy man! where abouts is this silver box thing located? does anyone have any pics and do i need to remove the inlet to fix it?
Old 27-09-2011, 07:29 PM
tezmanian devil
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Anyone?
Old 19-12-2011, 12:53 PM
ThePoons
St170

I had this problem p1518 inlet runner stuck open or what ever. Took the box off that's bolted to the bulk head and had a couple of dry connections on the circuit board put a soldering iron on them renewed the connection put the lid back on job done light even went out on its own. So befor you go a give Ł160 to fords for a new one just have a little look your self
Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM
rallybertie

Guys, I have recently been told that my 'Inlet Manifold Runner' was stuck open.

Upon investigation I had found that the Return cam on the shaft had come off.

I repositioned it and loaded up the spring to open it when not being pulled by the cable.

I have discovered to day that is has come off and the return spring has gone missing, as I didn't know until reading these threads that a star washer should have been used to secure it in postion.

I have now orderd a new cam and clip from my local dealer, Vospers of Plymouth, but they don't know if the spring comes in the kit.

Does anyone know if it does and if not, where can I get one?