Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Guide on fitting HIDs?

Search this Thread

Old 14-04-2009, 06:14 PM
Mike_SS
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guide on fitting HIDs?

Any tips? I've brought a slimline kit from www.superhids.co.uk which is plug and play. Do I need to remove the headlamps or anything?

Will be looking to do this tomorrow as I've got the day off.
Old 14-04-2009, 07:22 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Send them back and get a refund. Honestly. No matter what people say, they are illegal, and will probably fail the MOT.

I had a set, used them on my old focus and mondeo, they eventually go dim, ended up chucking them in the bin!
Old 14-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Mike_SS
Virgin

Wow, you must of had some real cheap and nasty ones in that case.

I've used the same company for my HIDs in all my cars and they have always been brilliant - to the point where I won't have a car without them. Always pass MOTs too.

If there is no guide about on fitting them I may just take some piccies when I fit them tomorrow

Will be a busy day tomorrow - service the car, change front pads, change front discs, fit HIDs and finally MOT.
Old 15-04-2009, 06:43 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mike_SS
Wow, you must of had some real cheap and nasty ones in that case.

I've used the same company for my HIDs in all my cars and they have always been brilliant - to the point where I won't have a car without them. Always pass MOTs too.

If there is no guide about on fitting them I may just take some piccies when I fit them tomorrow

Will be a busy day tomorrow - service the car, change front pads, change front discs, fit HIDs and finally MOT.

Nope, I used hids4u for mine, I had them when they were quite new, cost me close to £200! Until you drive a car with proper xenon lighting you will see how shite the aftermarket kits are.
Old 15-04-2009, 06:54 AM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

i always understood that they werent illegal and only the cheap ones failed MOTs due to crap beam patterns?
Old 15-04-2009, 07:53 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by fraser9764
i always understood that they werent illegal and only the cheap ones failed MOTs due to crap beam patterns?
It all depends on the intensity of the light output, they are all too high intensity for a standard reflector to cope with, hence the light bleeds out all over the place.

Also depends on how leniant your MOT tester is too. In VOSA's or the polices eye though, they are illegal as you are not allowed to modify a halogen headlamp unit for any other type of bulb.
Old 15-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Mike_SS
Virgin

I've had these ones before in reflector headlamps and they have always been a 100% improvement and never any problem passing MOTs or anything. I think all this talk of them being illegal is a lot of hot air as this isn't something that is enforced.

4300k are completely white and dont have a "aftermarket Xenon" look about them.

Am going to fit them after I've done the brakes and hopefully take some piccies of the install too.

Trending Topics

Old 15-04-2009, 09:41 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't state anything about the light source, it can be a candle if you want, so long as it illuminates suffeciently and gives a decent beam pattern it passes, colour does come into it though.
A mot examiner cannot fail something for being illegal, just because it is or maybe, mini(new sort) had a problem despite having E marked rear lights on some of the aftermarket ones they were still failing mot due to colour of the light.
I have fitted aftermarket, my advice is if the glass comes off/unclips the light on your car, clean the lenses on the inside, as this makes a world of difference I found.
I had to do this on a car due to several bulbs exploding in there was full of glass, and escaping gasses etc tinted the inside surface of the lens, so I cleaned this one, the other I saw no need, until I drove down the road, the pattern from this is awful, but the one I cleaned sharp as anything.
OE hid are much better as they are generally projector lights, ire pattern is formed inside light unit not on front glass.
The reason it becomes a problem is due to it amplyfying the stray light that from a normal bulb would not cause a problem as it is so dim, but of course it reflects this too.
I am going to be taking the HID off, as the philips extreme bulbs are on dip nearly just as good, but streets ahead on main beam, where the H4-4 I have are crap.
tabetha
Old 15-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Doncarlyon
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Nothing wrong with HID's, one of the best mods ive done on the RS... been on for over 2 years no problem with MOT's or people being dazzled at all.
Old 15-04-2009, 02:08 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mike_SS
I think all this talk of them being illegal is a lot of hot air as this isn't something that is enforced.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

Fact sheet: Aftermarket HID headlamps

December 2006

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.
The following is the legal rationale:
The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.
However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).
For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.
Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:
1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.
In practice this means:
1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.
Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.
In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.
If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:
Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DR
Telephone: 020 7944 2078
Fax: 020 7944 2196
Email: TTS.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.uk

VOSA roadside stops are cracking down on the use of aftermarket hid kits, so you have been warned

Last edited by RichieST; 15-04-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 15-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Marts
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Why do you need help on fitting them if you have had them in all of your cars, so much so you cant do without them...... Im guessing you, personally, havent ever fitted them in any of your cars... so why not just take it to the guy who did?
Old 15-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Mike_SS
Virgin

What a long day - changing the brakes was a nightmare! I don't think the wheels have ever been removed and it was a real wrestling match just getting them off. Then the same again with the blasted discs.

Took some 3-4 hours in the end!

HIDs also fitted. Am well pleased. Took lots of piccies and have written a step by step guide. Just got to edit/upload piccies etc. The best thing I've done to my car!
Old 15-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Mike_SS
Virgin

just to add, lets not turn this into a legality thread.

A factsheet is NOT law. Speak to DFT with any knowledge and you'll have them in tangles. Besides, nothing is enforced if you stay sensible on the color. I chose 4300k as it is white and can't even tell they are HIDs.

Lets use some common sense and think for ourselves - no dazzle, no problem. HIDs do nothing but increase my safety in driving without affecting others. Mine isn't a chavtastic car with blue lights on, but a normal car with decent white lights.

MOT tomorrow, so they'll be a able to align if necessary - bulbs were a little fiddly to get in.

Lets knock it on the head there.