Ford Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta Range of cars.

Fiesta mk6 gear linkage

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Roscopeco
P8 Managed S1 with ALS

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Fiesta mk6 gear linkage

Been driving the mrs fiesta recently and everytime i drive it its becoming alot harder to change gear , its only an 08 with less than 40k

Anyone else had a problem with a stiff linkage or gear changing on mk6 fiesta ??
Old 08-06-2012, 08:27 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

had them with sticky cables, but its usualy 1 of the selector levers at the front of the box that siezes up, easy to free off, just take the big plastic cover off at the front of the box and lubricate it and work it till its free
Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Roscopeco
P8 Managed S1 with ALS

Originally Posted by jamie's
had them with sticky cables, but its usualy 1 of the selector levers at the front of the box that siezes up, easy to free off, just take the big plastic cover off at the front of the box and lubricate it and work it till its free
Thanks for the tip mate i'll give it a go tomorrow
Old 08-06-2012, 08:35 PM
CBenno
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it go into gear ok when the engine is not running? Ive had a few where the clutch was knackered giving the same problem normally the clutch cover has broken and one of the three brackets around the edge is fractured
Old 08-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Roscopeco
P8 Managed S1 with ALS

Originally Posted by CBenno
Does it go into gear ok when the engine is not running? Ive had a few where the clutch was knackered giving the same problem normally the clutch cover has broken and one of the three brackets around the edge is fractured
It goes into gear exactly the same mate ......... stiff
Old 08-06-2012, 08:45 PM
CBenno
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

More than likely as said before a bit siezed under the plastic cover on the front of the gearbox
Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Roscopeco
P8 Managed S1 with ALS

Originally Posted by CBenno
More than likely as said before a bit siezed under the plastic cover on the front of the gearbox
Ok no worries thanks for your help

Trending Topics

Old 10-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Roscopeco
P8 Managed S1 with ALS

Had a go at what was advised but didnt do diddly

Did a quick search on the net and found this guide on a fiesta forum worked a treat , so anyone with the same problem follow this guide .
Its neither of the cables at fault its the pivot for the bracket that the cables are attached to

Guide as follows ........

Had my ST in at the garage yesterday, took about 2 hours and cost £72.

This was taken from an ST forum, maybe apply to a normal fiesta.

As some of you may be aware, ive been suffing with this problem for ages now, making the car almost undrivable at times. Replaced the cables on advice from ford, which made no difference. After a bit of investation(pulling things apart!) i found out it was the Shift arm's nylon bushes that had gone dry/expanding, causing them to tighten on the pivot shaft. Anyway heres the guide, it might be a bit pikey-ish, but it works!

1. Remove both plastic covers where the gear cables go tho the box. One will unclip off, the other requires 4x 8mm bolts to be unscrewed.

2. With both covers removed, press the button on the selector cable, and withdraw it from the ball joint on the selector shaft. Pull the shift cable off the shank on the shift arm(held on by a rubber bush, just pulls off).

3. Remove both cables from the bracket(the outer cable has a twist release mechanism, twist it and pull the cable from the bracket).

4. Now remove the spring E-clip holding the shift arm on it's pivot shaft, being carefull not to let it flirt off anywhere and loose it.

5. Carefully withdraw the shift arm off the pivot shaft, it will probably be extreamly tight(thus the problem). Try rocking it side to side and pulling it at the same time, eventually it will come off. The fact that it's that tight, is the root of the problem. Dont worry about the ball joint/bush of the shift arm that slots into the end of the selector shaft - it justs slides in and out(carefully stretch the boot of the ball joint over to allow removal).

6. With the shift arm removed, unscrew the pivot shaft from the gearbox, 22mm spanner fittment, be carefull not to damage the box.

7. The nylon bushes in the shift arm require reaming, or ever so slightly enlarging, i just used a drill with a drill bit the size as close as i could get to the diameter of the pivot shaft. Keep working the bushes until the pivot shaft slides nicely inside, being carefull not remove to much material from the bushes.

8. Once you are happy with the feel of the pivot shaft inside the shift arm(smooth), clean everything up and pack the shift arm bushes with plenty of grease/lube(i used copper slip). Screw the pivot shaft back into the box and tighten.
The following users liked this post:
alexbarnes95 (12-09-2015)
Old 10-06-2012, 05:23 PM
MunchieS

Never saw this thread.. Was about to update with the same bit of info!
Glad you sorted it mate.. Had that issue with mine and eventually the pivot arm worked loose and came off, leaving me with no gears..
An hour later at the side of the road and it got me home, but then i found this guide and sorted it!
Seems to be a weak point on the mk6
Old 10-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Roscopeco
P8 Managed S1 with ALS

I can imagine that was a complete ballache trying to fix that at the side of the road
Old 10-06-2012, 05:47 PM
JayCC
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Had the same(ish) thing after I fitted a B+M quickshift.

I lost 2nd 4th and reverse, as if they had moved in the box, so I kinda just put it in 3rd, aimed for 4th amd pulled until it went.

It went.. and I was left with fuck all. Broken cable was a nightmare to replace.

Should have got a pic as its quite an impressive cable to break by hand!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:30 PM
steviepow
Virgin

Last edited by steviepow; 06-12-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: posted in error