Concours d'élégance. The section dedicated to those who like things pristione and shiny. Buftys in other words.

Auto Glym HD Wax

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 PM
R5AAL
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Glym HD Wax

Just thought i'd share my experiance with this new wax from AG,
I used to use meguires, tech wax followed by mirror glaze and i got a finish that i was very happy with, then the AG rep came in my work saying he had a couple of tubs of this new wax that wasn't out yet, the High Definition Wax. So i thought i'll try it as the sales pitch was awesome! lol
Tried it on my mums car first (which isnt as kept as my own) and f*^k me!
So i done my FRS and what a finish!
Better than meguires in my opinion,which i didnt think could be possible.
Now i use Auto Glym Ultra Deep Shine followed by HD Wax, finish is perfect and last for ages, not difficult to use either and comes with two soft sponge applicators and a really soft plush micro fibre cloth.
Whole car uses very little wax so i think the tub will last a while.

Well worth a buy!
Old 01-02-2009, 12:47 PM
hitchwest
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get some pics up mate i bought some of this last year but not got round to using it yet
Old 01-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Shorty
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I bought some of this aswell, only put one layer on my bonnet about 3 months ago and I can still see a proper difference, water just beads off it.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Captain500rs

Its good stuff lot of the bufty's use it, its just expensive
Old 01-02-2009, 09:22 PM
R5AAL
Part of the Furniture

The ST just after it'd be done with HD wax

Old 01-02-2009, 09:24 PM
R5AAL
Part of the Furniture

It is a bit dear, i think it was just short of £30 and that was trade to me.
But i think it makes an awesome job, hope you agree lol
Old 01-02-2009, 09:26 PM
kellyalfie
Regular Contributor

i use it on my cars it looks proper
Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Saaamon
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Yet to try this but heard go reports!

Saaamon
Old 08-02-2009, 08:09 PM
007RS
PassionFord Regular

Anyone tried this on a Silver car ? i use Gold class which is v good but heard that Autoglym HD is even better ?.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 PM
R5AAL
Part of the Furniture

I used gold class but i didnt think much of it to be honest,the tech wax is far better.i threw my gold class out lol
personally i'd use tech wax to get the paintwork how you want it then HD wax to finish and seal it.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Arne
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice one mate! Always nice when people can come with tip like this, especially when they compare to other known products. Then the other of us KNOW it will do the job!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM
R5AAL
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Arne
Nice one mate! Always nice when people can come with tip like this, especially when they compare to other known products. Then the other of us KNOW it will do the job!!!!!!
No problem,I used to be a car valeter and I also have OCD! lol so i enjoy sharing my views with other like minded people (read fanatical fannys lol)
Old 09-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Is this the stuffpeople say isnt that good for white cars cause white doesnt shine very well.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:04 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just been looking on ebay for it and you can get it for about £25 plus a few quid postage

Tub looks tiny though

might need to get some as ive used auto glym on all my cars for years
Old 09-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Yeh i like there stuff too.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 007RS
Anyone tried this on a Silver car ? i use Gold class which is v good but heard that Autoglym HD is even better ?.
Yep, done a whole Focus ST225 in Moondust Silver with the High Def. Preparation is the key. I taught the owner whilst doing it. Done over 4 evenings in work (about 14 hours in total).

Gave it a good clean, followed by a complete clay with the Bilt Hamber Auto-Clay. Coat of Autoglym Extra Gloss (some cars may need a polish layer like SRP or an equivalent first) and then it was on with the High Def. Remember to clean the surface after every stage (something like Megs QD) Was done 2 days before Ford Fair last year and has not been re-waxed since.

It just gets a simple wash with tap-water, then a quick QD to dry and remove any possible water-marks. Still shines and beads, even now.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 PM
R5AAL
Part of the Furniture

As said it the preperation that is key,i'm sure white would still take a good shine if its polished properly first.
Tub isn't that small and a whole car hardly uses any so it does last.
I did my FRS before fast ford at crail end of last year,
Full de-grime with meguires quick clay kit,
then a polish with meguires cleaner wax,
two coats with meguires tech wax,
a coat of auto glym extra gloss protection,
meguires quick detailer
then 7 coats of auto glym HD wax lol (yes seven!)
Took me a whole week of evenings to do but fcuk me it was worth it lol
Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 PM
kellyalfie
Regular Contributor

i used it 4 the third time anmd is the bollocks deep shine or what
Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Arne
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just ordered the hd wax now. Really looking forward to see the shine from it!!!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Ed1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
Is this the stuffpeople say isnt that good for white cars cause white doesnt shine very well.
White doesnt shine very well, My van wasnt bad and this is after step one and two of megs, no wax!

Old 12-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Viper_
Part of the Furniture

White is a difficult colour to achieve a deep shine on (as is silver), but a wax won't do it anyway - the gloss levels on a car's paint is 95% down to the preparation work anyway (as a few others have hinted at already).

People expect far too much from a wax, and I'm talking about a pure canauba wax here like the AG HD, not 'cleaner waxes' or 'All in one' products like megs tech wax. A [product like HD is to purely to protect the finish you've achieved with the claying and polishing stages. It won't, in itself, provide any 'shine' as such. Think of it like varnishing an old rough table:- if you sand down the table so it's perfectly smooth, then apply a varnish (even a cheap one), you'll get a great finish, but if you don't smooth it down and prepare it properly, then you can apply as much varnish as you want, it won't ever shine properly. Same sort of thing with car waxes, the best deep wet look glosses are all down to what went on the paint before the wax .

Also, each to their own, but 7 layers of wax is overkill imo. and you will run into the law of dimishing returns after about 3 and are wasting time and product unnecessarily. Also, a pure canauba wax needs time to 'gas off' after application when it releases the solvents, so when multiple layers of wax are to be added, you need to leave approx a few hours between applications. This varies from product to product and some synthetic sealants can be layered almost straight away, but for a product like HD wax, personally I'd be allowing about a couple of hours between each layer. Loads of info on this kind of thing over on Detailing World

Last edited by Viper_; 12-02-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:15 PM
Micky

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iansoutham
Yep, done a whole Focus ST225 in Moondust Silver with the High Def. Preparation is the key. I taught the owner whilst doing it. Done over 4 evenings in work (about 14 hours in total).

Gave it a good clean, followed by a complete clay with the Bilt Hamber Auto-Clay. Coat of Autoglym Extra Gloss (some cars may need a polish layer like SRP or an equivalent first) and then it was on with the High Def. Remember to clean the surface after every stage (something like Megs QD) Was done 2 days before Ford Fair last year and has not been re-waxed since.

It just gets a simple wash with tap-water, then a quick QD to dry and remove any possible water-marks. Still shines and beads, even now.
Hi Ian,can I ask why you have to clean the car with Quick Detailer between each stage of polish???Thanks,Micky
Old 12-02-2009, 05:42 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Originally Posted by Micky
Hi Ian,can I ask why you have to clean the car with Quick Detailer between each stage of polish???Thanks,Micky
To make sure that the surface is clear from any previous application residue or any dust/dirt that may have statically attracted itself to the car between stages.

If you QD a car between all stages, then it minimises the risk of imperfections (scratches, swirls, etc...). A prime example is with the "sealer" stage. If you have any polish residue, a sealer (like AG Extra Gloss) will seal these in until it physically wears off. Same with the wax. If there is some sealer residue that has been missed, a wax will go over it and possibly "react" or smear. A wipe over with QD will remove any of this. Think of it as a panel wipe that you would use if you were painting.

Even when simply washing a car, if you live in a hard-water area, wash the car and then either spray a light mist of QD over the car before drying (acts as a water repellant) or QD once dried to remove water marks.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Micky

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Ian for youre reply .Only had the new AG HD wax in my hand yesterday but didnt buy it.I'll get it when the weather warms up a bit and follow the guide you posted above.Thanks again,Micky
Old 12-02-2009, 10:14 PM
huddle.rs2k
Virgin

used it 4 the last year but i use it with megs 1,2,3,then tech wax then AG hd wax it works a treat no dullin wotso ever as with AG super resin .
Old 13-02-2009, 06:03 AM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Originally Posted by huddle.rs2k
used it 4 the last year but i use it with megs 1,2,3,then tech wax then AG hd wax it works a treat no dullin wotso ever as with AG super resin .
Why use it with all of the above?

You are using a "cleaner", then a polish, then a wax by using the Megs 3-stage system. You then seem to be adding a "all-in-one" wax afterwards followed by the HD.

If you were getting a dull finish with the AG Super Resin, then you were not allowing sufficient time for the SRP to apply. The SRP is a "filler" polish in the fact that it will mask minor marks and swirls. You would ideally "seal" this afterwards with something like AG Extra Gloss or similar before applying the HD Wax as that would give the HD something to adhere to better.
Old 13-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Viper_
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by iansoutham
Why use it with all of the above?

You are using a "cleaner", then a polish, then a wax by using the Megs 3-stage system. You then seem to be adding a "all-in-one" wax afterwards followed by the HD.

If you were getting a dull finish with the AG Super Resin, then you were not allowing sufficient time for the SRP to apply. The SRP is a "filler" polish in the fact that it will mask minor marks and swirls. You would ideally "seal" this afterwards with something like AG Extra Gloss or similar before applying the HD Wax as that would give the HD something to adhere to better.
Totally agree mate! Having a product like 'tech wax' (even if it's the Version 2) after a 3 stage system like the Megs isn't using it as it's intended as it will inevitably be removing some of the wax laid down in step 3 (which isn't a great product in all fairness although the steps 1 and 2 aren't bad, but again, bettered elsewhere).

Like you I am totally puzzled by a report of AG SRP 'dulling' the finish? Far too many people dismiss Super Res purely by using it incorrectly. I recently wrote a lengthy 'wiki' article on the correct use of it for the Pumapeople site, and used correctly, it's regarded (even by the hardcore detailing bods like myself over on Detailing World) as being one of the best hand applied All in one products and is also one of the best for filling and masking minor swirling on paintwork. But it does need to be worked in properly, just wiping onto the paint (and often way too much), letting it dry and buffing off will produce loads of dust and won't really do anything other than bead water for a few days. Mind you, AG don't help matters by basically saying just that on the instructions.
Old 13-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

The van is really shinny. I like it.
Old 13-02-2009, 10:17 PM
R5AAL
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Pit Viper
White is a difficult colour to achieve a deep shine on (as is silver), but a wax won't do it anyway - the gloss levels on a car's paint is 95% down to the preparation work anyway (as a few others have hinted at already).

People expect far too much from a wax, and I'm talking about a pure canauba wax here like the AG HD, not 'cleaner waxes' or 'All in one' products like megs tech wax. A [product like HD is to purely to protect the finish you've achieved with the claying and polishing stages. It won't, in itself, provide any 'shine' as such. Think of it like varnishing an old rough table:- if you sand down the table so it's perfectly smooth, then apply a varnish (even a cheap one), you'll get a great finish, but if you don't smooth it down and prepare it properly, then you can apply as much varnish as you want, it won't ever shine properly. Same sort of thing with car waxes, the best deep wet look glosses are all down to what went on the paint before the wax .

Also, each to their own, but 7 layers of wax is overkill imo. and you will run into the law of dimishing returns after about 3 and are wasting time and product unnecessarily. Also, a pure canauba wax needs time to 'gas off' after application when it releases the solvents, so when multiple layers of wax are to be added, you need to leave approx a few hours between applications. This varies from product to product and some synthetic sealants can be layered almost straight away, but for a product like HD wax, personally I'd be allowing about a couple of hours between each layer. Loads of info on this kind of thing over on Detailing World
I admit myself 7 was excessive but it was done over a period of seven days so about 24 hours between coats but it didnt dull down otherwise i would have stopped,it continued to get a deeper shine and the finished effect was amazing!