Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Linux OS on PS3

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:38 PM
5t1g
Shotgun Bunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Linux OS on PS3

Is anyone using a different OS on their PS3's? A friend of a friend i met was telling me he can play xbox 1 games by partitioning the original hard drive on his PS3 and installing a Linux OS. Then he claims to have an xbox emulator which can play xbox games. He also has firefox and openoffice all installed on his ps3 via this Linux OS.

I have done some research and have found a guide to installing the linux os but nothing on the xbox emulator. That said there is some infomation on other emulators but its sketchy. Also a few folk who have tried it say the PS3 is limited by its RAM and that although the PS3 does have the facility to install a Linux OS built in as standard there are restrictions on CPU access and some other restriction that i don't understand. Making the linux OS slow and clunky.

I'm still interested in doing this though, i like playing about with computers and this sounds pretty cool. Even better would be an emulator to play xbox 360 games.

So has anyone heard of this or tried it??
Old 01-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Dlatch!
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i considered the same thing just as i was curious but as i knew nothing about linux i never got it working well and running the OS seemed to strain the PS3 as mentioned it would need more ram.
might be fun to play around with but i think you really need to know your way round linux
Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you put Linux on a PS3 you can't access the graphics chip as its on a different architecture level.

I've never heard of playing Xbox 1 games on PS3 running Linux.

Also it's difficult to install Linux on a PS3 slim. The option isn't there in the menu.