Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

Partition

Search this Thread

Old 23-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Stephen_B
I actually Bum This Place

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Partition

right when i was on vista i created a partition to back everything up to ready for the the format and install of XP to replace it. Now, i must have cocked that up as when i try and delete my partition (now served its use) it wont let me cos i have set it up as a system disk

How do i go about deleting it anyway? I downloaded partition magic and, because it may not have been completely legit () it sent avast mad constantly playing stupid sirens at me, so promptly removed it (it refused to boot anyway kept telling me ther was no drives names) So does anyone know of any way of deleting this stupidpartition as its pissing me off

Cheers
Old 23-04-2008, 02:24 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You dont need a programme to create and delete partitions mate, i think if you put the xp disc in you should have an option to delete a partition within the installation process
Old 23-04-2008, 04:16 PM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

Start->Run

Type diskmgmt.msc click OK. You should be able to use this util to mark your system partition as the XP one, and then remove the one you don't want.
Old 23-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Stephen_B

Originally Posted by collierm
Start->Run

Type diskmgmt.msc click OK. You should be able to use this util to mark your system partition as the XP one, and then remove the one you don't want.
I know you can use disk management, problem is, ones marked as boot, the other is marked as system (i want to get rid of the system 1) and i cannot fgure out how to make it let you, as it considers both as very important. Vista just lets you delete it. Not sure if that was a delberate design feature though knowing microsoft...
Old 23-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Stephen_B

this is what i mean. Sorry about the large picture, but i wasnt sure if you would be able to read the text otherwise if i scaled it down. The green circled is what i want to remove

Old 24-04-2008, 08:20 AM
collierm
MP for K.I.S.S

You should be able to delete the partition using this util

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...kage_id=125754

I haven't used it for a longtime so you might want to read the text file. Once removed, you should then be able to use Partition Tragic to extend the main volume. Only issue you might have is with the bootloader if you haven't fixed this already from Vista to XP.

Sorry I can't be more help, but I'm up to my ears in fooked servers at the moment.
Old 24-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Stephen_B

cheers guys. That dodgey partition magic has given me a virus anyway which avast cannot get rid of, so i might have to format reinstall anyway which would mean i need the partion to baclk up to
Old 29-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use Gparted - Better than partition magic and its free, that will sort it out for you

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php