Restorations, Rebuilds & Projects. Restoring her to Concourse? Just getting her running again? Or got a mad project? This is your room.

1.7 project, slow but steady [picture heavy!]

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Kizza
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.7 project, slow but steady [picture heavy!]

hi all im new to this site but not to others i bought my puma 2 years ago for £900 with 8 months mot, 5 months tax and 93k on the clock. i loved how it handled and the way it took off and left alot of cars for dead it had a top end rebuild with new cam belt and water pump at 82k and with very little rust on the rear arches and no dints anywere i got a good example. or so i thought here are some pics of the car when i bought it

shortly after the brakes started grinding and after a good look i found they needed changing BADLY!
pics of the old and new

the brakes cost me less than £80 with the paint to do the caliper
on the car and painted

here she is polished up with bonnet liftersand no grille (i think it looks better that way)

soon after i fitted some custom 35mm axle spacers along with changing the alternator because it went pop doin 90 on the m60 and worst thing is i had to get towed back by my ex gf not the best day ive had hahahahahah
pics of the spacers

here thay are againt a standard puma the i bought to use while i worked on the melina puma

5 months after i bought the car the big end bearing went. at that point i decided to track the car and change the engine.
here are some pics of me removing the engine and the running gear

the old nackerd lump out
i did save the gearbox, head, cams, water puma and everything else i could salvage hhaha
here are some pics of the rest of the front getting taken off and my new e-tec spoiler that i got for £40

shortly after i had dismantled the front of the car i lost my job so had to stop rebuilding and fixing the car :-(
but before i lost my job i managed to buy:
a new engine woth 56kon the clock
new wish bones
drop links
new cam belt
new cv boots all 4 of them inners and outers
and enought paint to repaint them all after i shot blast all the front pieces at work
i will upload more of my progress sometime tomorow
would like to know what everybody thinks of it
cheers kieran
Old 06-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Kizza

another post on the progress ive mad with my loved puma. well after 6 months i got back on my feet with a new job and started work on the car again. i havent got any pics of the rebuilt of the front end but the engine bay has been fully painted along with the under carrage and undresealed to the axle mounting brackets. some pics of the work done along with its new home.

i started removing the interior

the front end built up and painted

here is the little gem that i got for £500 with 12 months mot.

i removed the back box but because my grider was dead and the exhaust was in one full piece i had to drop the rear beam to get it out with the cat intact hahahahaha

and its fair to say it was nackered

pics of the old against the new, i bought a sportex middle section and back boxbefore i lost my job.

also i couple of pics of the underneath of the rear of the car

also the engine for the car had to be fitted into my silver puma, long story but i went throught a 10-14 inch puddle on the way to work doin about 40mph and only was it as my front wheels nearly touched the waters edge. needless to saythe engine sucked in lots of water. when i droped the oil i had about 2-3 seconds of water before oil came out also when i took off the inlet and found about a pint of water sitting there it was nackered. here are some pics of the new engine. you can see the clean engine through all the dirty old parts from the original engine. pics

i then bought a car with my next wage packet, a 1997 mk2 ford mondeo with 74k on the clock and a full ford service history for £500 off frea bay the person i bought if from paid £800 for the car from a dealer 2 weeks before and was only the second owner from new but after spending £100 putting new tires on it he then lost his job so put the car up for sale and i was the lucky bidder
i scrapped the silver car after removing all the studd i could reuse in one way or another.
pics of the engine being fitted into the blue puma and the removal of the sound proofing

then i started with a bit of weight loss
i cut down the plastic in the rear bumper to saveweight

cutting out metal

also started striping the door and getting rid of some of the unwanted weight. i also cut a pannel to cover the door from the inside.
pics

i moved back in with my mum and dad along with my fiancee and her son so i stopped work on the car again so here are the final pics of the car at our old house. once i moved i had alot more monet to spend on the car and i progressed a long way. here are the final pics of the car when i got the rest of the body onto the car and put it back on its wheel. pics
before

after

looking good again all be it with a silver wing after a little misshap ooops lol

i have about 6 months of updates still to put up on here. so what does anybody think?
cheers kieran
Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Kizza

a little bit later than i wanted but oh well.
here is were the car was while we lived at my mum and dads

also got alot of parts for my car from flea bay cheap and cheerfull
sportex manifold to go with my sportex exhaust.

got these from a mate of mine for free

all the gaskets aswell along with the paste

got the new/old stock from ebay £4.79 bargain!!!

so i started to get the engine up and running so i got everything i could need for the car out of the cellor. i have 2 or 3 of about everything so decided to clean up the best of what i had and bolt it to the puma.
pics of all the parts.

firstly i started to put all the difficult stuff onto the back of the engine like the manifold, power steering and drive shaft ect pics of the parts cheaned up and painted

also pics of the progress

started to fit everything else i need to get her running for the first time in over 8 months

i havent got any video's of the car running but i have pics of the rev counter.

i will put another post up tomorow of more progress.
see you soon

Last edited by Kizza; 06-10-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Mr Kro
Virgin

Looks good, it's refreshing to see a Puma and not just the engine put into a Fiesta. Keep it up
Old 06-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Kizza

for starters here are some more things i managed to get my hands on
got these seats for £35 and the belts for £25 posted not the best in the world but 2 seats and belts for £60 not bad i dont think the worst thing is the belts are pink lol

got these for £50

also imanaged to get thses little beautys for £70 posted

also for £7.50 each i manages to get these

after getting loads of stuff at bargain prices i decided to start to fit it all.
pics of the bushes getting changed

sadly i had to change the wheel bearing :-( again!
but il be doin that later on

firstly i tryed pulling out the front wishbone bush but i didnt have a big enough socket to i had to take a different aproach

i found my trust drill did the job properly

then i fitted the bushes and fitted them back onto the car.
oiled up

fitted

it took about an hour to the the first side and about 15 mins to do the other side, well thay do say practice makes perfect
got these through the post then got them cut, crushed and reheated by a mate of mines brother who works on truck springs for a living

after the reworking they were estamated to be about a 60-80mm drop on the standard car.
i was waiting for other things to eather come up cheap here and there or to come through the post so i started fitting all the other things i had pics

then i put the brace on

after looking at the state of all my shocks i decided to get some more uprated ones

while i was cutting out the drivers door my grinder went pop and started to smoke, not the best start to a saturday morning so after i went to B&Q to take it back and get a new one i got a free upgrade because the price had been cut across the range so took it back home and started again then soon after i touched the glass and bang....no more glass so i decided to pack up and leave it for the day before something else went wrong. pics

the day after i fitted perpsex pics

i then started to clean up the back of the car, it was looking a mess

i got the bearing changed at work ready to go back onto the car.

i will upload another progress report later ive got to take the misses to the docs back soon
Old 06-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Kizza

Originally Posted by Mr Kro
Looks good, it's refreshing to see a Puma and not just the engine put into a Fiesta. Keep it up
thanks ive got loads to update yet.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Kizza

time for another update of progress on the puma,
i go the welder out and made a drivers seat bracket, picss

then i got the drive shafts ready for the car along with the calipers. i was missing a couple of bits but ian g sorted me out, top bloke

i got a second hand set of brake hoses from ebay that have only done about 150 miles and look like brand new.
i started to build up the front end pics

another job ticked off the list, all the lights working again

i got the shocks in a set from ebay but one of the rear one were leaking so i need to get another one.
here's the front end built up

il post another update soon

Trending Topics

Old 06-10-2012, 09:30 PM
Kizza

so i decided to remove the dash and give the back a good clean up.

after having loads of problems with my power steering i decided to throw away the old system and replace it with an older system lol so i ordered a manual rack from the mk4 fiesta picss

here is the new rack painted and fitted to the car.

i still need another colunm because its different. so i ordered it the next day.
also go a new lower strut brace from the bay and fitted it straight away picssss

with all that fitted it put her back on the ground to see how she sat. pics

before i get her driving again i needed to change the gear shifter, the old one got bent when i moved the car at some point. so she is up in the air again as i changed it.

pics of the dash are all cleaned up

i cut all the unwanted weight out of the bonnet. picsss

rust not good :-(

so i cut it all out

fitted back onto the car.

also another little touch under the engine bay

thats it for now il put another post up when i get a chance
seeyou all soon
Old 06-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Kizza

mor work done. firstly i got a set oaf alloys for my mondeo and have them a good clean and a coat of paint. pics
as i got them

after i rub down and a coat of primer

after another rub down and a coat of colour (still needs some laquire)

then after a 450 ish round trip to london i came back with tis little beauty. never fitted to a car and was bought for £800 or so but i got it for £220 BARGAIN!!!

the day after the lower part of column arrived so i fittedthan and got the car out of the bush it had been living under
pic of the column fitted

and here she is coming out of the bush

i spun her around on the road and put her back on the drive

after spending 3 months under the bush her's how she looked

she also had a few unwanted friends on her hahahahah

after i gave her a brush off

i ran a sponge over her to get rid of all the crap on her.

i love this car so much looking at all the progress ive made on her realy makes me proud
i cut yet more off her.

fitted these

then i cut this out because i couldnt get the roll cage loop in properly.

then i gave the rear bumper i rub down and a coat of paint.

i got rid of the rest of the lock mechanism and electronics

playing around with the roll cage

ill upload another post soon, i strip and rebuild the rear end.
let me know what you think, i also spend all day on the car today so ive got even more done hahahaha
see ya soon
Old 06-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Kizza

time for another post of previous progress
here are the pics of me stripping the rear end

35mm rear spacers

removing the beam bushes

ready to strip all the rust off it

after about 2 hours of grinding, sanding and scraping the rust off it and after about 10 coats of paint

ive got all new brakes at the back new:
drums £30 posted (for the pair)
shoes £10 posted
cylinders £15 posted
25mm longer wheel studs £10 posted
bearings £20 posted
i got the rear bushes in a set off a person on pumap.....
more pics of it goin together

35mm rear spacers custom mad by myself

i had to do a spot of welding to the rear. then i scraped off all the dirt, rust and other nastys (a nest of baby spiders lol)
i gave it all a rub down and a coat of underseal
patch

then it was build uptime!

a good friend there giving me a helping hand with the exhaust

new hand brake cable £30 posted

fitted

all built up now

when i bled the rear brakes one of the pipes on the car sprung a leak so i had to order some from ebay. £15 posted for both sides.
i put her back on the ground and took some pics

got the wheels finished for the mondeo

thay arrived 2 days after i ordered them

fitting

she was running rough so i cleaned up the spark plugs to give then a littlebit more life, i not goin to be racing her around just yet but they will do for moving her here and there.

i have stripped most of the unwanted wires out of the cabin and now its time to start with the engine bay

on my next update il be temporarily fixing the rust on the rear arch to slow down the rust ingress and keep it looking ok until i can aford frp rear arches.
yet again ive spend a couple of hours on it again today so got more to update with.
bye bye for now
Old 06-10-2012, 09:33 PM
Kizza

right another update, time to get the rusty rear arch sorted.

all the rust ground out

rust killer smoothed onto it

a bit of fibre glass filler.

then i decided to remove the rear window, im goin to be replacing it with plastic at some point and when i put a coat of paint on the rear arch it will be easter with it not being there

how the car ended up at the end of the day

another day, more work done on the car pics of the arch coming along

another little problem area

sanded down

rust killer applied

dried

primer applied

ready for a coat of paint

primer applied

then another little rust bubble. it couldnt be anything big can it????

yes a hole right throught the arch shocking but of tell lits crack out the rust killer, filler and primer haha

thought i would remove the filler cap to see how

more pics

i moved into my ew house and after a few weekds u started work on the car again so a few weeks ago i sprayed the arch not the best i know but it looks alot better than a rusty arch with dints ALOT BETTER!!!
pics

after i did the arch i started to get the door sorted (the less weight the better)

cut more weight out of the door pics

all back together again

riveted

sadly i broke the perspex but after speaking to some people ive decided when i can im goin to change it for Polycarbonate when i can aford it that is hahah

no extra's on this door anymore hahahahah

all the stuff no longer in the door

the lock was nackerd so i took it to pieces, sanded it oiled it and put it back together again. i left it in engine oil over night to make sure its well oiled

fitted and working perfectly

i did start on the drivers door but rain stopped play here are the pics of my progress

i had the same problem with the driver door that i had for the other, here is a pic of the lock it would lock but wouldnt unlock so i did the same and took it to pieces saded, oiled and rebuild and now it works like its anew lock from ford. pics
lock

central postion

i have more to upload but now i am up to date with my other project page i spent about 4 hours on the car again today so when i get a chance tomorow il put everything bang up to date with where i am at. not spending loads of money on the car right now but its swallowing all my hours with no problem what so every
back soon people
Old 06-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Kizza

right here we go again, ive stripped more out of my puma and cut the loom down even further. ive also got a good jump at moving the fuse box into the car so the engine bay looks alot cleaner now. pics
dissmantled

what im up against

cut unwanted wires out of the loom

internal loom

removal of parts

my little helper

empty space, thin it needs a clean

what i will be cutting to cover the holes. ally and plastic

in between times i decided to tint the windows of my puma

after i removed the last bit of sound proofing and giving it a good clean

cutting the pieces to cover the holes

i mounted the ecu carrier under the left one

i drilled the holes to fix it

the new route for the look

after a coat of gloss black

i used silicon to seal the holes

i also sealedthe old loom holes in the same mannor

all clean now and being rebuilt

after removing the loom from the car and stripping all the unwanted wires i then refitted it and made sure it works

i re routed the battery wires through the hole

so i wired it all up and chacked everything still worked

now not only have i moved the battery, i have also uncoverd more weight to remove out fromunder the bonnet
pics

after all the work is done
Old 06-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Kizza

today i finished cleaning and sorting out the garage, i put a work bench and some space to store some stuff. pics!!

after i got the puma in the garage i started to remove the old battery mounts from under the bonnet
centre popped

then i drilled them out

removed

then i started on the big one 8-)

then i ground it all down, put rust killer on it then primered it all

rust killer applied

primed

i will be stripping all the car down this winter to finish it to a much better standard, well thats the plan anyway.
cheers kieran
Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Kizza

ive only spent about an hour on the old girl today working and tbh i only got round to removing all the front end and drivers seat. pics

nothing major but i like to keep you all updated
Old 06-10-2012, 09:39 PM
Kizza

hi all i had the car moved before it had the front end built up 14 months ago. the reason was the stupid govermant said it was not allowed on the car park at the side of my mum and dads house because it was a SCRAP CAR!! checky bastards!!! and if i didnt move it they would take it away and charge me for scrapping it so got it moved to my gf's drive (were now engaged and having a baby in a couple of weeks ) it was slightly damaged getting moved and i had to knock it back with a hammer to get the bumper to fit back on. ive decided to remove the front end and change it at some point so until i can aford to get ahold of another one ive decided to remove the current one and make it removable in a couple of mins. im goin to slightly reconstruct the new one (when i get it) so that i can remove it in seconds while keeping the overall strength still intact 8-)
pics of the damage on the front

me drilling out the spotwelds and replacing them with bolts (for the time being)
one side

the other side

now you see it

now you dont!

i ground it all down a little bit and refitted it.

another thing sorted now but yet again im stopped because im skint. hope things work out and i get back on my feet soon.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Kizza

small update on what i have done so far today, also ive scapped together a couple of quid and stuck an order in for a little bit of welding wire so should get the reast of the cage tacked into the car and the passengers seat frame welded up. today i made a temporary junction black for the - & + under the bonnet.
picsss

also got a jump at making the seat base (will be finished when the wire arrives) picsss

i put a notch into the box section so it sits nicely onto the angle iron when its welded up

a bit of a clean up to make it fit and now its ready for welding

i put 2 pieces of wood across from the drivers side so i know the level of the pasengers seat and also cut two pieces of box section ready to be welded too when i get the wire. picss

drilling the pieces

fitted

not a lot i know but progress is progress
Old 06-10-2012, 09:44 PM
Kizza

got the passenger seat all welded up now just needs a little gring up and a coat of black paint...sorted
Old 06-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Kizza

more progress made today, ive got the passenger seat fully welded up with a coat of silver paint. here are pics of it finished with the seats in and the bolted up

seats bolted in and belts on

all out again

another job sorted now
Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Kizza

ive started to tack in the rest of the cage but firstly i found a little rust hole that i need to sort
pics

more to be done later
Old 06-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Kizza

got a little bit more done now not lots but every little helps 8)
here is the reason why i had to move the fuse box and still need to get ahold of a scorpio diesel header tank.
pics

all tacked in

what its goin to look like when its finished

well be doing more on her tomorow, i cant seem to go a day without doin something on her hahaha
Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Kizza

right not got loads done but ive also done some work on the mondeo aswell. ive now run out of welding wire and it will be a few days/weeks until i can order some more so the cage is on hold for a while but ive got almost all of it tacked in now so its all as it should be, it just all needs welding up properly.
pics of what ive done today.

i need to cut the bars down a touch more to make them fit a bit better

no more wire now so thats all the welding for now
Old 06-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Kizza

]ive got done what i could today, cut the front cage bars to fit properly and put the dash bar in place ready for more welding wire to arrive pics of progress made

also removed a few bits that ive been meaning to do for a while

its been raining all day glad if got a garage

i have started to do the wheels now one at a time and here is the first

a couple more coats and thats one down 3 to go hahaha
Old 06-10-2012, 09:48 PM
Kizza

i sealed up the first wheel in a box so they dont get damaged. then i started on the others, i will finish off the forth tomorow. pics

il give them another coat tomorow and also get the forth wheel finished aswell, it looks more yellow under the garage lights but in day light its a realy deep orange
cheers kieran
Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Kizza

not done much today, im coming to the end of things i can do without spending any money. i finished off the other 2 wheels but i dont have enough paint to finish the forth so im leaving it for now.
pics of the finished wheels

also had to give the garage a quick clean so got the car out for a few cheeky pics of how it looks atm

a cheeky shot of the front end

before

after

i also found another bracket that needs removing

more progress will be made when the welding wire arrives
Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Kizza

got some welding done tonight, not going to show pics of everything yet i want to wait until its all done before i let you all see the finished product. here are a couple of snap shots though :thumbs:
for starters i altered the door bars as advice from turby.

flexable seam filler

more than that has been done but il let you see that when its all done
Old 06-10-2012, 09:51 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, but, your track rod ends are on the wrong sides...
Old 06-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Kizza

first post of the day, ive started to remove the engine. spent about an hour and half on it up to yet and probs got about 30 mins to an hour left to go. pics of removal.

removing the drive shaft, rear engine mount, gear leaver and exhaust.

repositioning for the otherside

nothing except the top engine mounts and gearbox pipe holding it in now

more to be done after dinner
Old 06-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Kizza

well the engine is out now. only took about 30-40 mins after my dinner so i think about 2:15 to get it out. more pics

there she is looking like a scrapper hahahahah

first job on the list

i think i'll give the red bits another coat of paint

engines new home for a while

back in garage
Old 06-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Kizza

spent another hour on the car tonight when the missus was watching corri. sorted!
not done lots but anything is better than nothing
removed the throttle cable

cut away even more useless bits of metal from on the car

run out of welding wire now but got the welding under the bonnet done first

cleaned up

as always more to be done tomorow
Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Kizza

getting more of the engine bay sorte now, ground, sanded and painted the roll cage bars to stop them rusting.

then i cracked on with removing the brake servo and abs pump.

anybody want to buy an abs pump? open to offers
Old 06-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Kizza

i started to remove the brake lines, i rounded over the front lines so no dirt gets in there before i fit the new lines.

looking less clutered after i removed the cluch pipes and brake lines.

i also dismantled the brake cylinder to see where it was leaking from, needed to know if i had to buy a new one.
i found a dodgy seal hmmm

so i removed the seal and cleaned it in the kitchen sink. before i cleaned it i blocked up the holes in the cylinder so they dont get any dirt in there

fitted to the servo again to stop dirt

im goin to need a new tank though its very shabby and the fitment to the cylinder is slightly damaged so dont want to chance it back on the car

here are some pics of the broken seal

other than ford are they for sale anywhere else?
Old 06-10-2012, 10:05 PM
Kizza

Originally Posted by zetec-Sam
Looks good, but, your track rod ends are on the wrong sides...
tbh i never took much notice of this i just put them off the same way i put them on but i'll have a look tomorow
Old 06-10-2012, 10:12 PM
zetec-Sam
neeeeeeeeooowmmmm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should 'kink' forwards, like this:

(Bad picture, but best I could find)
Old 06-10-2012, 10:13 PM
H3lsing
ffoc.co.uk

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

Top progress man. I see the birds love your car .
Old 06-10-2012, 10:21 PM
COLEYST200
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 144 Likes on 133 Posts

looking very good i think its a bit late for this bit of advice iv got a custom cage in my fouc cosworth im bilding . wot it is so you can weld the top of the cage you have to cut holes in the floor then put a strap round the bottom of the hoop then pull it in then drop the hoop throw the floor then weld the top then lift it back up then carry on with the welding and please make shower you have a stong welder so it penatrats the metal not just sit on top of the metal . all the best with you bild its looking good

Last edited by COLEYST200; 06-10-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Kizza

cheers bud i like to keep myself busy.
and thanks sam ive just had a look and yeah they are the wrong way i must of put them on the wrong way after i swapped the rack, im stripping the front end down soon so ill swap them then
cheers kieran
Old 06-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Kizza

Originally Posted by COLEYST200
looking very good i think its a bit late for this bit of advice iv got a custom cage in my fouc cosworth im bilding . wot it is so you can weld the top of the cage you have to cut holes in the floor then put a strap round the bottom of the hoop then pull it in then drop the hoop throw the floor then weld the top then lift it back up then carry on with the welding and please make shower you have a stong welder so it penatrats the metal not just sit on top of the metal . all the best with you bild its looking good
thanks for the advice and yeah ive been told that before, but like this time it was to late, i can manage to get to all of the cage and even though im not the best welder in the world and the set i bought cost me £30 and spits abit its got good penitration into the metal (ive made sure of that). its difficult to get to all of it and ive had to remove the rear windows to do but but its possible.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:49 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

nice progress mate, far too many pics for this to be all one page it takes ages to load lol!
and like mentioned above about the cage make sure you get some proper welds on there non of the gasless mig types you wont get the proper penetration on the weld and in an accident, the cage breaking up could actually kill you not save you!
Old 06-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Kizza

thanks for the advice but ive got it all under control
Old 12-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Kizza

update on the overhaul of the front end. i couldnt get any new seals from ford so iveused PTFE and some sealant to seal where it was leaking and seems like its been doing its job and its not critical to the function of the master cylinder but if it goes again i will buy a new one, ive also ground and sanded all the rust off the servo and cylinder, put rust killer on the areas effected then primed with etch primer and painted with gloss back followed by a couple of clear coats. ive also done the same with the rest of the braking mechanism. here are the pics.
before

after

ive been sorting out the common rust problem. pics of me sorting out the rust.

ive also removed the heat shield to get to see any possible rust that needs sorting.

also cleaned the inside of the car (it needed doing) looks alot cleaner now. ive also removed the steering column and the wiring loom until i need it again.

the bits removed

now on with the rust killing!!!

rust killer added

after a coat of primer

after 2 coats

after 2 coats for black and 3 coats of clear

the other side

i will be starting the otherside tomorow.

Quick Reply: 1.7 project, slow but steady [picture heavy!]