General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Digital SLR Camera Info **UPDATED WITH PIC P2**

Search this Thread

Old 27-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital SLR Camera Info **UPDATED WITH PIC P2**

Still looking for a new camera ! Was going to go just digital but digi SLR's seem to be the dogs so I have raised the budget and am now looking at the Canon EOS 350D or similar

Anyone got one or no anything about em

and more to the poing can anyone get em and do me a deal on one with a 18-55 lens in silver
Old 27-12-2005, 02:08 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

The 350D is the dogs knackers!!

Every picture taken on my Dad's is over 3 meg in file size and you can almost zoom in on the picture and read the tax discs on cars on track!
Old 27-12-2005, 02:20 PM
Niall.b
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

snap,am going to buy a 350d tomorrow, looks like jessops are competitive enough in the price. will haggle for a better card or bag in the price though
Old 27-12-2005, 02:39 PM
FasterFords
Advanced PassionFord User

I got a 350d before Xmas from PC world, cracking camera.

Wish I could afford a big lense though.
Old 27-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Cossiebros
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

The EOS 350D is as good as it gets (for consumer camera's that is), but the 18-55 kit lens doesn't do it any justice.
Go to a good camera store that stocks a lot of lenses. Buy a body only kit, and try as many lenses as u can.
Every lens is slightly different (even the same types), and because of product tolerances, u can get a bit of back- or front focussing (focus is in front of the subject). To get the best out of the equipment, try the lenses in the shop.

www.fredmiranda.com is a very usefull site to help with finding the right lens.

I have myself (and can recommend): Canon EOS 350D, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

https://passionford.com/forum/viewto...ight=catalunya pics made with EF 70-200mm

HTH
Old 27-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i got slr overdose spent the afternoon reading about em maybe there to advanced for what i want this is why I gave up looking last time cos its all very confusing

Trending Topics

Old 27-12-2005, 03:01 PM
FasterFords

Originally Posted by Cossiebros
I have myself (and can recommend): Canon EOS 350D, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II

How much did you pay for the 70-200mm ?

Thats what I'm after for my birthday
Old 27-12-2005, 03:03 PM
Cossiebros

Just to add:

if you want a very good, nicely priced lens, save up for a canon EF 70-200 f4L USM. This is as good as it gets for money/quality. Its still a bit expensive lens, but u can get Ł70 cash-back from canon, (see www.canonextrapromotion.com for info) if u buy before the end of the year.
Old 27-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Cossiebros

Originally Posted by FasterFords

How much did you pay for the 70-200mm ?

Thats what I'm after for my birthday
Over here (Holland), the f/2.8 version of the 70-200 costs about 1200 euro's
the f/4 version costs about 700 euro's (but you can have a cash-back on this lens)

Both lenses are superb presents
Old 27-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Cossiebros

Originally Posted by Kev.H
i got slr overdose spent the afternoon reading about em maybe there to advanced for what i want this is why I gave up looking last time cos its all very confusing
Don't give up m8, it's worth it.........

But i agree, there are some very good compact camera's, that are cheaper, simpler and give very good result. The best compact camera is IMO the Canon PowerShot S2 IS. That's maybe worth a look.
Old 27-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what will the standard lense that comes with the 350 slr be like as i cant afford a proper lense at the mo

and what is the best all round lense
Old 27-12-2005, 03:30 PM
FasterFords

I read that the 18-55mm lense that comes with it, is not the best, but still gives great pics IMHO, and is a good starting point until you know what big lense you want to get to go with it.
Old 27-12-2005, 04:19 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i got a 350 before christmas and it's great!! I didn't bother with the standard kit lense, mainly because it's a little too short for what i use most, so i got body only and then bought a 28-105 f3.5 USM off ebay - makes a great all-round camera if you don't do much wide angle work.
The 18-55mm kit lens is ok, it's not the best by any stretch but is ok, but when you've experienced the better ones you will see why . Cossiebros has the "L" series lenses which are the daddies, but they will make a serious dent in your piggy bank.
If you can cope with carting it round, Digital SLR is just soo much better than compact, both from the flexibility of settings and the benefit of decent (and changeable) optics.. in anything but ideal light conditions the SLR is way ahead.
Old 27-12-2005, 05:01 PM
Brookesy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speak to Danja he know all about camera's and i beleive he uses a canon slr camera and takes some fantastic photos
Old 27-12-2005, 06:13 PM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Guy's i use a pentax istd digital slr,and cant fault it,go to jessops and check it out,think the kit is down in price to about Ł700 know

cheeRS stu
Old 27-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Cossiebros

With the standard 18-55 lens, the image quality is stil better than most compact camera's, but there is so much more in the 350D than this lens can do. The Canon EF 28-105 F/3.5-4.5 II USM is a good lens aswell, for little more money.

Considering the kit with 18-55 costs 75 euro more than the body only and the 28-105 costs about 250 euro's, u pay 175 euro more in total. For this u get: more quiet zoom, faster zoom, more usefull zoom-range. A good all round lens IMO.

The 18-55 is ok, but just that. And it costs money.... Money it's not worth IMO.
Old 27-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

With the standard 18-55 lens, the image quality is stil better than most compact camera's, but there is so much more in the 350D than this lens can do. The Canon EF 28-105 F/3.5-4.5 II USM is a good lens aswell, for little more money.

Considering the kit with 18-55 costs 75 euro more than the body only and the 28-105 costs about 250 euro's, u pay 175 euro more in total. For this u get: more quiet zoom, faster zoom, more usefull zoom-range. A good all round lens IMO.

The 18-55 is ok, but just that. And it costs money.... Money it's not worth IMO.
there goes the budget shall take a look at this other lense then

this it http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...WORD_SEARCH=N&
Old 27-12-2005, 07:33 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

here's a taster for ya...
taken at castle combe earlier this year, light wasn't great and I wasn't taking too much care - handheld with "cheap" Ł160 Sigma 70-300mm APO DG zoom
I've left them full res (3.5MB) here too so you can see what you get

http://www.rsrich.f9.co.uk/rallyday2005/IMG_0039.JPG
http://www.rsrich.f9.co.uk/rallyday2005/IMG_0082.JPG

considering these were taken at some distance with the cars traveling at speed, it's hard to do the same consistently with a compact and get the same results..

Please don't link externally to these pics or my bandwidth takes a hammering! and I may not be able to leave them here for long.. sorry.
Old 27-12-2005, 07:40 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

there goes the budget shall take a look at this other lense then

this it http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...WORD_SEARCH=N&
there's two very similar versions, that is the cheaper of the two.. the more expensive one is better, both optically faster (bigger glass lets more light in) and it has a "Ring USM" motor which allows you to manually override the focus at any time without switching the lense to manual. Focusing is also very quick with the ring motor.
This is the dearer one that I have and Cossiebros has mentioned earlier..
http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...WORD_SEARCH=N&
Old 27-12-2005, 07:55 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

this it http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EF-28-10...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 27-12-2005, 07:56 PM
GT2

www.dpreview.com
Old 27-12-2005, 08:02 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yep - there's usually quite a few on ebay, i got a very good used one for Ł100
Old 27-12-2005, 08:13 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

this guy regularly has a fair amount of good looking kit:
http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQfrppZ2...assZphonebusta

and may be worth looking at these guys for a factory sealed refurb 350D kit at a good price:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outle...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
Old 27-12-2005, 08:13 PM
Kev.H
PassionFord Post Whore!!

right anyone work in a camera shop
Old 27-12-2005, 08:15 PM
Cossiebros

richm The first picture is awesome!!

There is always a risk when buying optics on e-bay, but Ł100 is a great price for a good lens

www.fredmiranda.com has a buy/sell forum aswell, so u can take a look there too.
Old 27-12-2005, 08:27 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

There is always a risk when buying optics on e-bay, but Ł100 is a great price for a good lens
yeah very true, you do need to be pretty selective and ask the right questions, but I got lucky with a fully boxed lens with paperwork etc, may as well have been new
Old 27-12-2005, 09:11 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Brookesy
Speak to Danja he know all about camera's and i beleive he uses a canon slr camera and takes some fantastic photos
Dan uses a Fuji 5500 i believe
Old 27-12-2005, 09:13 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

RichM theres alot of graining in those photos is that hat they call noise?
Old 27-12-2005, 09:26 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by AndyRST
not really sure what you mean by "a lot".. ?
considering the crap weather and light conditions, they'd have been taken on a ASA400 equivalent film speed setting and the lens is wide open at a fairly long zoom all of which are going to be fighting against picture quality

there's some more here if anyone's interested..
http://www.rsrich.boltblue.net/rallyday2005/index2.htm
Old 27-12-2005, 09:32 PM
danja
PassionFord Post Troll

Yes, that is called noise.

there are programs available to reduce noise, neatimage being the most popular from my experience.

I use a Fuji S5500, 4mp, 10x zoom, Hama Polarizer, Hoya R72 Infrared er, TCON-17 1.7x Tele Lens.

DSLR is my next quest, however, I'm using my budget and time now to get tog rips with as much as possible, so when I venture into deeper water, I can hopefully go with a little bit of understanding to make it all the more fun and rewarding

The Fuji cost me Ł160 manufacture A-Grade refurb, lens cost Ł90, Filters cost Ł30 for infrared & Ł10 for Polarizer. It really depends on what you want from your camera, and what you are willing to spend. I could have gone for DSLR, but I went for this sleek compact to try my hand at it all first, and so far I'm really really enjoying every aspect of the camera, at a fraction of the price of even the cheapest DSLR.

Some sample pics of my motorsport are: (please bare in mind this was only about 2 weeks after picking the cam up)

Old 27-12-2005, 09:34 PM
danja
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by richm
considering the crap weather and light conditions, they'd have been taken on a ASA400 equivalent film speed setting and the lens is wide open at a fairly long zoom all of which are going to be fighting against picture quality

I think the noise here has been generated by the high zoom in all fairness, mixed with what to me looks like 'crap' lighting lol.

Not alot you can do in these circumstances, but maybe one run over neatimage may help to clear up any of the worst affected areas, other than that dude, great pictures

Old 27-12-2005, 09:42 PM
danja
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by * Rudey *
Originally Posted by danja

I think the noise here has been generated by the high zoom in all fairness, mixed with what to me looks like 'crap' lighting lol.

Not alot you can do in these circumstances, but maybe one run over neatimage may help to clear up any of the worst affected areas, other than that dude, great pictures

your right on zoom i get purple fringeing have you had this?
Yea, I get purple fringeing when I'm zoomed right in against blown out skies, such as overcast days.

I agree with what you say about slr benefits for sure, just gotta decide what your udnerstanding of cameras is to begin with as to whether a DLSR would scare the shit out of you and put you off for life lol

What have I told you about saying the words 'Canon EOS 1D MKII' around me

Old 27-12-2005, 09:57 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

yeah - spot on, it was seriously overcast and raining at times.. I went with the express purpose of getting some pics, so i did, but it was a struggle, i was pissed off with the weather, and I wasn't taking much care - they are straight off the camera and less than ideal conditions for a lens that slow.. What I was trying to show Kev was the results you can get without trying and with conditions against you.
Some fab pics on your site there Dan!!
Old 27-12-2005, 10:05 PM
danja
PassionFord Post Troll

yeah - spot on, it was seriously overcast and raining at times.. I went with the express purpose of getting some pics, so i did, but it was a struggle, i was pissed off with the weather, and I wasn't taking much care - they are straight off the camera and less than ideal conditions for a lens that slow.. What I was trying to show Kev was the results you can get without trying and with conditions against you.
Some fab pics on your site there Dan!!
Fully understand your situ mate, my Dono pics were from overcast and wet, NOT the best conditions but hey, you have to learn to alter your setup and try to compensate.

What you got straight from cam though look cool mate

Thanks for checking my site, just some random stuff on there

Dan
Old 27-12-2005, 10:07 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers, i wasnt haveing a go Rich, i was just asking if that was the tech term for it
Old 27-12-2005, 10:14 PM
richm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Cheers, i wasnt haveing a go Rich, i was just asking if that was the tech term for it
yeah, no probs!
easier to see that sorta stuff in isolation - all i can remember is how crap the conditions were and how surprised i was how well stuff came out that day! LOL
I've got a renewed interest now i've got this kit, to go out and make some effort this year to get some good photographs rather than snapshots, which most of those are from that day..

Quick Reply: Digital SLR Camera Info **UPDATED WITH PIC P2**