Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

RS 500 & 3 door Cossie

Search this Thread

Old 14-12-2007, 10:49 PM
godzilla
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS 500 & 3 door Cossie

Im almost sure that the original whale tail 3 door Cossie was 204bhp and the RS500 being 224bhp are 2 different cars?

Im i correct in saying this as whenever i have brought up Cosworths in conversation the RS500 is always brought up to which everyone i know or have spoken to thinks the original whale tail Cossie is an RS500 and they were all called RS500, im sure they are different, if so what was the original 204bhp whale tail Cossie called/known as?
Old 14-12-2007, 11:09 PM
big mac
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a 3dr was called an rs cosworth a 5oo is the limited run produced for homlogation and the saffs were a sierra rs cosworth a 3dr and a 500 are very different
Old 14-12-2007, 11:33 PM
lamb chops
PassionFord Post Whore!!

500 three doors were held back by ford from the 5500 planned 3door cossy's built. These 500 were turned in to RS500's, 500 being the number made of course, they looked very similar but had some subtle differences to make them the ultimate track weapons of the era. Namely a stronger block and bigger turbos and an extra rail of injectors.

Cosmetically they have an extra lower rear spoiler and the upper rear has a lip at the edge, bigger vents in the bumper etc. There are other small differences but that’s it basically. Buying one now expect to pay a 50% premium over a normal 3 door coss for the rarity.

Hope that helps
Old 15-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Karting
BANNED
BANNED

Not RARE any more because ( Darren Barber) has said he has nearly
300 (rs500s) on file... ....20years.... on more and more are be coming RS500s, At this rate they will be 500 , (again) ( Rs500s )

just keep reshelling L.O.L.
Old 15-12-2007, 07:03 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There were 506 RS500's made, or rather modified over the original 3 door which they all started out as.
These were modified by TICKFORD, hence why they have a TICKFORD badge either side on the front wings near the indicator repeater light, these badges sell for stupid money but an almost identical badge in all but slight size difference can be bought for an MG maestro for a few pounds.
A main difference was underneath the car, there were brackets for location arms, not present on any other sierra, the battery tray is HACKSAWED off at the corner to clear the extra rail, which is NOT wired up, as std, it has as said a lower rear spoiler from a 2.0is sierra which the non RS500 does not have.
The T4 also set it apart from the others.
As said 204bhp std 224 for RS500.
tabetha
Old 15-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Karting
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by tabetha
There were 506 RS500's made, or rather modified over the original 3 door which they all started out as.
These were modified by TICKFORD, hence why they have a TICKFORD badge either side on the front wings near the indicator repeater light, these badges sell for stupid money but an almost identical badge in all but slight size difference can be bought for an MG maestro for a few pounds.
A main difference was underneath the car, there were brackets for location arms, not present on any other sierra, the battery tray is HACKSAWED off at the corner to clear the extra rail, which is NOT wired up, as std, it has as said a lower rear spoiler from a 2.0is sierra which the non RS500 does not have.
tabetha
P.M.S.L. 506 (rs500s) made, you do talk a load of rubbish. Why talk about an RS500 when you know nothing Tickford badges, there were NO Tickford badges on the wings, there was no build number, Tickford paque by the window switches. You do talk a load of rubbish The lower rear spoiler is unique to the RS500 (You have to be an expert, and there is not many that are) and is not a 2 litre Sierria spoiler
You do talk rubbish....
There is so much bulls--t about RS500's because of people like you.
You were probably in small trousers when these were made
Old 15-12-2007, 10:16 AM
DD
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by Karting
tabetha
P.M.S.L. 506 (rs500s) made, you do talk a load of rubbish. Why talk about an RS500 when you know nothing Tickford badges, there were NO Tickford badges on the wings, there was no build number, Tickford paque by the window switches. You do talk a load of rubbish The lower rear spoiler is unique to the RS500 (You have to be an expert, and there is not many that are) and is not a 2 litre Sierria spoiler
You do talk rubbish....
bit harsh mate....

Trending Topics

Old 15-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Moonstone Mart

Originally Posted by DD
tabetha
You do talk rubbish....
bit harsh mate....
He is quite harsh on the RSOC board too mate. I think this might be why alot of people on there dont seem to like him much. (just an observation)

Mart.
Old 15-12-2007, 10:41 AM
DAB
Rs500 DataBase Editor

Location: In the Karate Dojo , or updating the rs500 database
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not RARE any more because ( Darren Barber) has said he has nearly
300 (rs500s) on file... ....20years.... on more and more are be coming RS500s, At this rate they will be 500 , (again) ( Rs500s )

just keep reshelling L.O.L.
you accusing me of reshelling cars wayne? you really are a wanker , yes i have nearly 300 on file , where did i say there all still alive ,go back to your cave you neanderthal ,give it up .

Daz
Old 15-12-2007, 10:44 AM
DAB
Rs500 DataBase Editor

tabetha
You do talk rubbish....
yet another quality post well done Wayne keep it up , how to have friends and influence people ,you make me laugh , you say your misunderstood on the PC, well with post's like that do you wonder why ? tabetha is one of the more respected bb users his advice is always taken on board , he does not have a over inflated EGO like you , do yourself a favor and stop posting putting people down .

Daz
Old 15-12-2007, 10:51 AM
DD
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Originally Posted by darren barber
tabetha
You do talk rubbish....
yet another quality post well done Wayne keep it up , how to have friends and influence people ,you make me laugh , you say your misunderstood on the PC, well with post's like that do you wonder why ? tabetha is one of the more respected bb users his advice is always taken on board , he does not have a over inflated EGO like you , do yourself a favor and stop posting putting people down .

Daz
well said...
Old 15-12-2007, 02:17 PM
2001ode
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Default Re: RS 500 & 3 door Cossie

Originally Posted by godzilla
Im almost sure that the original whale tail 3 door Cossie was 204bhp and the RS500 being 224bhp are 2 different cars?

Im i correct in saying this as whenever i have brought up Cosworths in conversation the RS500 is always brought up to which everyone i know or have spoken to thinks the original whale tail Cossie is an RS500 and they were all called RS500, im sure they are different, if so what was the original 204bhp whale tail Cossie called/known as?
Hi,

As follows, Ford Technical Service Bulletin regarding introduction of RS500.

Regards.

Claude

Présentation RS500 TSB

Old 15-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

tabetha
I will be a little more polite than The IDIOT Karting and just say that your info isnt quite correct mate

Sorry
Old 15-12-2007, 05:21 PM
AndyPen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The lower spolier only has the cut out to allow it to fit around the cossie spoiler where it meets the boot lid, plus a 'c' on its part number to differentiate it, otherwise its much the same thing as Tab suggests.

Many rs500s have decent looking lower spoilers because of this easy mod.

The tech spec is a great way to be sure of Ford facts - well posted by 2001ode. Lets enjoy these cars folks eh??

Happy xmas
Old 15-12-2007, 06:03 PM
jason_nike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 98 Likes on 92 Posts

I always thought karting was supposed to be helpful to people...obviously not, why couldnt he be more polite like Paul was.
Thought this was supposed to be friendly place, all work together to enjoy these cars.
Old 15-12-2007, 06:09 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

When certain people have a limited vocabulary I often feel so sorry for them.
It appears I do not know the RS500's well for that I am sorry and hereby appologise, I am here to learn as well, and as can be seen do not get everything right, but certainly do NOT consider myself a SELF APPOINTED EXPERT.
I am 42 by the way so I was not in little trousers when the RS500's came out, my own personal opinion is they are way overpriced/overhyped but each to thier own and all that.
I even like Austin allegro's and my fave two cars are Rover P6, and Morris Marina Estate, I think we can all agree they are not the best cars in the world, but it just shows diverse tastes people have.,
I have a 330bhp 2wd sapph myself, despite what some on here beleive.
tabetha
Old 15-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

It appears I do not know the RS500's well for that I am sorry and hereby appologise, I am here to learn as well, and as can be seen do not get everything right, but certainly do NOT consider myself a SELF APPOINTED EXPERT.
I am 42 by the way so I was not in little trousers when the RS500's came out, my own personal opinion is they are way overpriced/overhyped but each to thier own and all that.
I even like Austin allegro's and my fave two cars are Rover P6, and Morris Marina Estate, I think we can all agree they are not the best cars in the world, but it just shows diverse tastes people have.,
tabetha
To be fair mate a lot of people feel the 500 is overated and therefore overpriced ,, This is the reason i have started the rs500 whats what topic on Stu"s new website , giving info with piccs on the special features on the 500 , there have been a lot of replies from people who are just amazed how many special parts the 500 has , and i have only toughed the surface with the posts

Ps ,,Love the rover P6 , a real mean looking Mafia staff car ,, not sure on the Marina tho
Old 15-12-2007, 08:29 PM
mechanic28
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTH YORKS RS SPARES
tabetha
To be fair mate a lot of people feel the 500 is overated and therefore overpriced ,, This is the reason i have started the rs500 whats what topic on Stu"s new website , giving info with piccs on the special features on the 500 , there have been a lot of replies from people who are just amazed how many special parts the 500 has , and i have only toughed the surface with the posts

Ps ,,Love the rover P6 , a real mean looking Mafia staff car ,, not sure on the Marina tho

i am one of those people who did not think there was many differences on a 500 trust me i was ohh so wrong!!!there is quite a few
Old 16-12-2007, 05:48 AM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Does anyone have a picture of the alternative mounting points for section 16, I looked for these on a friends RS500 and could not see them. The care has been on the cover of fast fords and is in some of the classic photos so I am pretty sure it is not a converted car.
Old 16-12-2007, 07:20 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

I nearly bought a Morris Marina Estate to cossie power before the sapph, other contenders were CITROEN DS/ID range!!
tabetha
Old 16-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by oohogwash1
Does anyone have a picture of the alternative mounting points for section 16, I looked for these on a friends RS500 and could not see them. The care has been on the cover of fast fords and is in some of the classic photos so I am pretty sure it is not a converted car.
If you mean the rear suspension mounts

Here is a beam with the extra brackets going to be fitted

Here is one bracket

Here is the rear beam on a 500 in place

Old 16-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

There was a special feature in fast ford mag i think which told us all the different parts compared to the normal 3dr cossie. Dont fall out with each other on this site we are all friends on here. Well sometimes hee hee.
Old 16-12-2007, 08:54 AM
2001ode

Hi

very very interesting response.

How much is distance between holes ?

Regards.
Claude

Traverse RS500
Old 16-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by glennshute
There was a special feature in fast ford mag i think which told us all the different parts compared to the normal 3dr cossie. Dont fall out with each other on this site we are all friends on here. Well sometimes hee hee.
I know mate ,,I did the list
Old 16-12-2007, 10:34 AM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

90mm hole centre to hole centre

Originally Posted by 2001ode
Hi

Regards.
Claude

Traverse RS500
Old 16-12-2007, 10:44 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

a.k.a

your such a helpful and knowledgeable person
Old 16-12-2007, 10:49 AM
2001ode

Originally Posted by a.k.a
90mm hole centre to hole centre
Originally Posted by 2001ode
Hi
Regards.
Claude
Traverse RS500
Thanks, a.k.a.

Old 16-12-2007, 12:07 PM
AndyPen

Were these ever actually used Paul or were they there just to get it approved / homoglated? Looking at mine I can't see how they could possibly be robust enough as they stand?

Old 16-12-2007, 12:19 PM
DAB
Rs500 DataBase Editor

Originally Posted by AndyPen
Were these ever actually used Paul or were they there just to get it approved / homoglated? Looking at mine I can't see how they could possibly be robust enough as they stand?

Just approval on the road cars andy mate , as you say there not strong enough for use
Old 16-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,042 Likes on 996 Posts

NORTH YORKSHIRE SPARES(paul) i thought it was you who did it. What were them extra brackets on the rear Suspension arms for then.
Old 16-12-2007, 02:35 PM
AndyPen

So that the suspension could be moved mate - at least in theory. As Daz suggests it appears to be a way of getting around some of the rules but are not strong enough in reality.
Old 16-12-2007, 04:32 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I was sure i read there were 497 rs 500's made.
Old 16-12-2007, 05:16 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by AndyPen

All they did was provide a silhouette in the homologation document against which the group a ones could then be fabricated, they are purely tack welded onto the existing beam of the road 500s to give the shape needed later
Old 16-12-2007, 05:19 PM
PAUL S
PassionFord Post Troll

Spiky just dug out the ruler and measured a set I have in the shed - plenty of people have helped me out like this in the past so I try to do the same when I can

Originally Posted by Spiky
a.k.a

your such a helpful and knowledgeable person
Old 16-12-2007, 09:44 PM
oohogwash1
PassionFord Regular

Two topics
One
I have my rear beam out and sandblasted, I wonder if I should add these on, if I did would I need different wishbones to accomodate these I guess.
I have a spare set that I can modify.
I don't know how you realise the benefit... I will make the necessary changes. It might just help on track days

Two
Also on the list, one item I did not see in the list was the different front hubs... I have a set here which have a different roll center.... they are supposedly of an rs500. The tca connector is about an inch lower... which makes the car better set up when lowered.... I figured makes sense to me so I grabbed em.
I have not heard much talk on those... I think that should have made the list if it were true as I read (dont shoot the messenger please)
I would think that would help people on track days too ?
Old 16-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Moonstone Mart

Two topics
One
I have my rear beam out and sandblasted, I wonder if I should add these on, if I did would I need different wishbones to accomodate these I guess.
I don't know how you realise the benefit... I will make the necessary changes. It might just help on track days

Two
Also on the list, one item I did not see in the list was the different front hubs... I have a set here which have a different roll center.... they are supposedly of an rs500. The tca connector is about an inch lower... which makes the car better set up when lowered.... I figured makes sense to me so I grabbed em.
I have not heard much talk on those... I think that should have made the list if it were true as I read (dont shoot the messenger please)
Im not sure on topic 1 but topic 2.......i think the hubs are the same on any 3dr/rs500. I did hear that these hubs are better for geometry when the car is lowered. I have heard of people with sapphires fitting the earlier hubs for this reason.

Mart.
Old 17-12-2007, 03:47 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

FFS reading the above I'm glad I own a cheap ole Saff
Old 17-12-2007, 04:53 AM
2001ode

Hi,

Is it this rear beam with modified arm pivot points that named :
6° beam ???

Regards

Claude
Old 17-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Two topics
One

Two
The proper group A rear beam is a mile away from the std 500 beam , you need modified rear arms also to use the group A ajustable rear setup

Also ,,the std 3 door and the 500 have the same front hubs , these are not the same as the 2wd saff tho , i believe they are a better hub regarding there setup but not 100% why or what it is
All i know for sure is the 3dorr/500 has a nut on the bottom ball joint and the later saffs have a pinch bolt
Paul
Old 17-12-2007, 07:36 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

I used to fit 3 door roll bars on the front of sierra cars, this gave them more castor, improved the grip but made them a bit twitchier.
tabetha

Quick Reply: RS 500 & 3 door Cossie