Fitness / Weight Training Discussions Don't drive around with 4 chins! Chat to like minded folk in here and get yourself back to a decent health and fitness level in no time.

How good is swimming for you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How good is swimming for you?

I used to swim quite a lot a few years back but never to any high standard. I want to work out a bit more and build muscle/increase fitness. Swimming is something i enjoy and find it easier to go and do than work in the gym.

Does swimming build muscle or fitness or both? lol

chop
Old 02-04-2006, 10:53 AM
FastFordChris
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it wont build muscle like it will in the gym as its a totally different kind of workout but it is very good for your fitness as its a non inpact form of cardio which for recovery can help quite alot.

if you enjoy it then its very much worth incorporating into your workout as it'll really help with loosing weight or toning up and if you have any joint/back problems its very good for that to.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:44 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

nice one. that sounds quite good then.Losing a little weight/toning up sounds fine. I shall give it a try and also try and incorporate a small weights work out in the gym to.

chop
Old 03-04-2006, 03:21 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

one of the best forms of cario vascular workout!
Old 03-04-2006, 04:55 PM
jamesw
PassionFord Regular

Dont know if it interests you, been swimming a while now going for distance rather than sprints, but decided to change slightly, after reading this article it gave me a bit more direction for what weights to do to aid swimming, Sprints mainly but will aid long distance as well!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jasonlezak1.htm
Old 03-04-2006, 09:56 PM
DaveMCMkIII
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Just read the article, stated some important points but i dont agree with the periodization of training that he laid out (i.e. endurance training, then strength training etc).

Ive been doing a fair bit of swimming the last 6 weeks (freestyle), considering I havent really ever swam propley and just floated round and had quick swim on holiday its unbelievable how difficult it is to learn the tchnique of the freestyle well enough to swim a distance like 1500m.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:39 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Dave

aye but the guy isnt teaching you HOW to swim he's teaching you how to train when you already can!
Im guessing he knows what he's talking about seeing as it says he's world record holder

james
cheers for that mate. EXCELLENT site!

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2006, 11:50 AM
DaveMCMkIII

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Dave

aye but the guy isnt teaching you HOW to swim he's teaching you how to train when you already can!
Im guessing he knows what he's talking about seeing as it says he's world record holder

james
cheers for that mate. EXCELLENT site!
I know thats what im saying, hes suggesting you train your endurance before strength, personally id do this the other way round as im sure many other trainers would, but thats just my opinion. Just because hes a world record holder it dont mean hes right, plus hes an athlete not a coach, but as i always say, theres no black and white to training techniques etc. Anyway as i said just an opnion
Old 04-04-2006, 02:01 PM
jamesw
PassionFord Regular

I have been swimming for a while now, was training for the National Swimathon, which involved, indurance training as I had to swim 5000 metres (200 lengths of 25m pool) I get bored quickly regardless what I do, so now thats completed, I decided to train a bit for sprinting, I would like to be able to swim a 50m in 27 seconds. Or thats my aim, so for me that article should help as he is talking about developing certain muscles for use in sprint swimming!

Dave the technique will come with practice!

I will let you know if the above works as I only started it sunday! My time for the 50m at the moment is 33 seconds. So will try this for a month and see how it works.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:21 PM
DaveMCMkIII

[quote="jamesw"]Dave the technique will come with practice! [quote]

I gotta shave 15 mins off my 1500m time as its currently at around 45 mins....HELP
Old 04-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

the above link says that breaststroke is the best for working out and it also builds muscle. nice!
Old 04-04-2006, 05:00 PM
jamesw
PassionFord Regular

Without seeing you swim its hard to comment on how to improve your stroke!

But generally for freestyle, (IMO) Elbow should leads the arm action out of the water close to the body, arm reaches overhead returns to water fingertips first at a slight angle, arm slightly bent on entering the water, pull back and down to your hips under the water, using the palm as a sort of flat paddle, repeat cycle with other arm. Leg kick should be sufficent to keep hips relativly straight. With whole leg kicking not just knee, feet should just flip surface of water. Breathing to either side not forward!

If that makes any sense at all, as I said it is difficult to comment on peoples stroke over the internet as I cant see it! Then it would only be a comment from a fellow swimmer not a instructor!

Are you doing the 1500m as part of a triathlon? As that seems to be the main reason for doing 1500?

This is an article I found after a brief search on google for "training tips for 1500m swim"

This seems a reasonable piece of advice:

http://www.triathletemag.com/story.c...81&pageID=1732
Old 04-04-2006, 05:14 PM
DaveMCMkIII

I maybe (ssshhh). The only quesiton with my technique is im concerned that my left arm is too flat when it comes out the water (non breathing side) which is prob due to not enough body role. However, i can only role my body more with a big kick before the role that side, which may mean im just being paranoid. Think it is possible tio knock 15 mins off?Got about 12 weeks of left, been swimming for 8 weeks
Old 04-04-2006, 06:23 PM
jamesw
PassionFord Regular

You could always try alternating the breathing, so breath every 3 strokes that would at least cause your arm to come out the water and go over your head when your trying to breath to that side! IMO Depending on your current "swimming fitness level", you may be able to cut your time down by that much. IE if you not that fit in the water it will easier to acheive greater results, so more possible for you to hit your target!

Ps.IMO Swimming fitness level can differ from land fitness level, I can swim for miles, but have not run for years due to injury so if I stepped on a treadmill i would collapse within about 30 seconds. Its what you get your body used to doing you will find the easiest! The more swimming the esier it becomes but dont stop training for the other parts!

When swimming, I swim with a triathalete(sp) and a marathon runner. The triathlon guy joined upto a bulletin board solely for triathletes, I will try find out which one for you when I see him tonight.(oh and good luck )
Old 06-04-2006, 11:51 AM
jamesw
PassionFord Regular

Dave this is the site the chap is on! have not read it at all but here is the link!

www.tritalk.co.uk
Old 06-04-2006, 02:40 PM
DaveMCMkIII

Cheerz
Old 10-04-2006, 04:31 PM
rocky_robin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Swimming is a fantastic way of training.

I used to swim for Scotland a while back......before I got into cars!! lol!

Still keep up and join with the Scottish Masters team now and again (when I have the time!!).

Whenever I coach people, its VITAL that you build you technique first prior to nailing in the sessions to get fitter. Whilst you are building your technique, you'll be using your muscles anyway.

The training you do will all depend on your stage of fitness and technique. Best advise that I have is join the local Adult lessons to gain more techniques and build on the other strokes too. It only costs about £4 a session, but can save you loads in the future as you try and stop the bad habits. Build from 1 session a week to a few more.

I used to be in the water more than 10 times a week, but that was building strength, endurance and power, as I was more of a sprinter than a distance (purely down to being bored after 400m and losing count!!)

Adults are much harder to teach than kids, as we are more aware but kids just get on with it.

As for front crawl techniques, there is nothing stopping you on the amount you breath, but really the more you breath the more energy used (i.e. every stroke - left and right) This also kills your stroke.
I recommend swimming across the breadth of the pool and try and swim right across without taking a stroke. That way you can feel your stroke without the worry about lifting your head as a breadth is really short enough without a breadth required.

After building the technique, then introduce a breath every 2 strokes (left hand then right hand). Raising you head to breath at the side, depends on if your right or left handed. I'm RH'd as I feel more comfy breathing through that hand. With technique you can build to breath on either stroke (like me) depending if your dying for breath!!!!!

Take your time and you'll feel the benefits!
Old 11-04-2006, 10:50 PM
jamesw
PassionFord Regular

cheers for that rocky, just wondering have you ever used a monofin? I bought one the other week, and I seem to get cramp in my feet after every length! Which I occasionally get once I have swam a long distance (2500m). Just wondering if you had ever used one really?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:24 AM
rocky_robin

Tried it a few times and yes my legs hurt, coz your trying to keep afloat and not used to kicking your legs individually!

The best stroke is butterfly as you can smash records with it............just a pity you can't use it in a race!
Old 12-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

rob
i didnt know you were a swimmer never mind swam for scotland
Old 14-04-2006, 12:36 PM
rocky_robin

Prob coz you never got to see inside my mums hoose!

The living room was a shrine of medals, etc! They are all boxed up now. Got a bit sick of looking at them.

If your needing some technique lessons, you know where I am.

Got my mum swimming front crawl for the first time in her life last year, as it made her year. She used to be a breat stroke-with-head-above-the-water person. lol!