View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 04:31 PM
rocky_robin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swimming is a fantastic way of training.

I used to swim for Scotland a while back......before I got into cars!! lol!

Still keep up and join with the Scottish Masters team now and again (when I have the time!!).

Whenever I coach people, its VITAL that you build you technique first prior to nailing in the sessions to get fitter. Whilst you are building your technique, you'll be using your muscles anyway.

The training you do will all depend on your stage of fitness and technique. Best advise that I have is join the local Adult lessons to gain more techniques and build on the other strokes too. It only costs about £4 a session, but can save you loads in the future as you try and stop the bad habits. Build from 1 session a week to a few more.

I used to be in the water more than 10 times a week, but that was building strength, endurance and power, as I was more of a sprinter than a distance (purely down to being bored after 400m and losing count!!)

Adults are much harder to teach than kids, as we are more aware but kids just get on with it.

As for front crawl techniques, there is nothing stopping you on the amount you breath, but really the more you breath the more energy used (i.e. every stroke - left and right) This also kills your stroke.
I recommend swimming across the breadth of the pool and try and swim right across without taking a stroke. That way you can feel your stroke without the worry about lifting your head as a breadth is really short enough without a breadth required.

After building the technique, then introduce a breath every 2 strokes (left hand then right hand). Raising you head to breath at the side, depends on if your right or left handed. I'm RH'd as I feel more comfy breathing through that hand. With technique you can build to breath on either stroke (like me) depending if your dying for breath!!!!!

Take your time and you'll feel the benefits!